uniqs

avernar
join:2002-05-23
Plattsville, ON

avernar to Gone

to Gone

Re: [Internet] Real bridge mode is coming to GigaHub

said by Gone:

Right. It's really not usable for anything at all. I can ping out v6 addresses right from the router, but there's no v6 connectivity on the LAN side. (yes, I do understand routing of subnets ) Virgin also doesn't do WHI this is a Bell retail product.

Your sudden track change to talking about Bell WHI confused me when the rest of us were discussing VirginPlus FTTH IPv6. I thought you were stating that VirginPlus FTTH users couldn’t assign a DHCP-PD prefix to the WAN interface on VirginPlus FTTH.

No surprise that WHI doesn’t have DHCP-PD enabled since it’s running on the cell infrastructure side of things and cell phones don’t use DHCP-PD. So why would Bell turn on DHCP-PD on their cell network for an IPv6 test on VirginPlus FTTH?
silvestro
join:2023-08-11

silvestro

said by avernar:

No surprise that WHI doesn’t have DHCP-PD enabled since it’s running on the cell infrastructure side of things and cell phones don’t use DHCP-PD. So why would Bell turn on DHCP-PD on their cell network for an IPv6 test on VirginPlus FTTH?

That is not true actually. Phones when tethering do use DHCPv6-PD to retrieve a block and assign a /64 to the hotspot. Android and iOS have supported this for ages. But I'm not a Bell customer to know if that is supported or not. If the network does not provide support the phone just does v4 only hotspots.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Gone

MVM

to Gone
said by Gone:

Fwiw, I enabled IPv6 on my FTTH connection at home. Heh. Who knows now.

Me too ... keep my fingers crossed ...

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar to silvestro

to silvestro
Click for full size
said by silvestro:

That is not true actually. Phones when tethering do use DHCPv6-PD to retrieve a block and assign a /64 to the hotspot. Android and iOS have supported this for ages. But I'm not a Bell customer to know if that is supported or not. If the network does not provide support the phone just does v4 only hotspots.

I was only referring to Bell. But it looks like something has changed since I last tried. I can get IPv6 via tethering now. So it does look like DHCPv6-PD has been enabled on the Bell Mobility side of things.

Are we sure WHI doesn't provide IPv6? The person on Reddit on VirginPlus bypassed his HH3K so might need to connect router directly to the antenna? No idea how WHI hardware is set up.

Ironically I can't get IPv6 on Rogers tethering.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

2 recommendations

alpovs

I think a new thread about IPv6 on Bell should be created. This discussion is off topic in this thread. And it will be easier to find in the future if someone needs to find this discussion.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

1 recommendation

avernar

said by alpovs:

I think a new thread about IPv6 on Bell should be created. This discussion is off topic in this thread. And it will be easier to find in the future if someone needs to find this discussion.

Then someone, who's bothered by it, should create one and ask the mods to move the posts.
alpovs

alpovs

Just start a new thread without moving posts.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

said by alpovs:

Just start a new thread without moving posts.

I'm replying to stuff, not posting new things. While I can quote messages from here in a new thread that doesn't mean people will follow it there.

I've already sent a message to the mods about it.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

3 recommendations

sbrook to alpovs

Mod

to alpovs
OK ... it's time to segregate IPV6/BridgeMode/and Gigahub. RIght now they're getting all mashed together

Do this by please simply creating a new thread.

I know that sometimes there's an overlap ... if there is please provide pointers saying "I think this is discussed more thoroughly in "X" thread.

Thanks

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to avernar

Premium Member

to avernar
edit - moving to new thread.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

You get a DHCP-PD /56 on the WAN side, and the LAN side assigns a /64 out of that /56 for your client devices. You've got 256 /64s to use as your own subnets however you see fit, or even PD /60s of your own further down the chain.

I thought you said they didn't assign anything via PD?
said by Gone:

Oh WHI they assign a single IPv6 IP to the WAN side of the router and that's it. You can't pull anything using DHCP-PD.

Hence my confusion.
alpovs

alpovs

Can we please discuss IPv6 in the new thread: »[Internet] IPv6 on Bell (and brands owned by Bell)

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by alpovs:

Can we please discuss IPv6 in the new thread: »[Internet] IPv6 on Bell (and brands owned by Bell)

I'm replying to existing things in this thread, not discussing new things, thanks.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

2 recommendations

Gone to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
I completely misread your post.

No, you don't get PD. What I wrote is what I wish they would do lol.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

5 recommendations

sbrook to alpovs

Mod

to alpovs
You guys want this thread closed? Please treat each other with respect. It is hard when two topics are somewhat interlinked. Please accept that without going after each other.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

5 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

You guys want this thread closed? Please treat each other with respect. It is hard when two topics are somewhat interlinked. Please accept that without going after each other.

Honestly, it's probably good to close it. There really is no "real" bridge mode coming and the "bridge mode" that is available is somewhat poorly named / misnamed.

That's likely the reason this thread has spun out into a bunch of different topics (mostly recently IPv6); there's really nothing to discuss here re: bridge mode anyways.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

2 recommendations

Viper359

Premium Member

Agree close it. It's just turned into a shit show
Expand your moderator at work

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

Re: [Internet] Real bridge mode is coming to GigaHub

said by alpovs:

Only later it was found out that the "real" bridge mode was not bridge mode either.

So what are we discussing here then since "real bridge mode" is not coming to GigaHub?
alpovs

alpovs

When the thread started it was coming. Then we found out it was not. We cannot change history. I don't know why people still post here. This thread should move into the past.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

said by alpovs:

This thread should move into the past.

Closing it would accomplish that...
alpovs

alpovs

Only mods can close threads here. As there were no violations in this thread the mod wouldn't touch it, I suppose. Let's just stop posting here and the thread will move into the past like hundreds others.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

3 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by alpovs:

Only mods can close threads here. As there were no violations in this thread the mod wouldn't touch it, I suppose. Let's just stop posting here and the thread will move into the past like hundreds others.

sbrook See Profile is a mod and he's the one who asked if it should be closed.

We all agree it should.

He'll most likely close it when he checks back in.
silvestro
join:2023-08-11

6 recommendations

silvestro to Anon

to Anon
said by alpovs:

If you knew the history of "real" bridge mode you wouldn't say so. Many people called PPPoE passthrough "bridge mode". It works the same from the user point of view but technically it's not bridge mode. This thread started over half a year ago. At that time the rumor was that Bell would enable real bridge mode, i.e., not PPPoE passthrough, hence the term stuck. Only later it was found out that the "real" bridge mode was not bridge mode either. Now it's common knowledge but at the time it was all new.

LOL.
System

to alpovs

Anon

to alpovs
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course