spc
Search similar:

uniqs
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

6 recommendations

alpovs

[Internet] Real bridge mode is coming to GigaHub

As mentioned in this post: »Re: [Internet] Replacing GigaHub w/ PfSense custom router
The link actually goes to Reddit: »www.reddit.com/r/bell/co ··· kbgsvvl/

It looks like real bridge mode is coming to the GigaHub. It's part of Small Business plans but supposedly we can call Bell and ask to switch to bridge mode. Supposedly TV and phone are not supported in this mode and everything will be disabled in the GigaHub.

This will be available from Dec. 8, 2023. Don't call yet.

I am guessing this is the way to provide plans faster than 1/1 Gbps to business accounts. If anyone knows more, please post. Maybe there will be no need to bypass the GigaHub.
bb_user
join:2008-07-18
Toronto, ON

bb_user

Headline: Realbridge Mode in Gigahub "Just Works"

FWIW I had a new fiber install done over the summer in Toronto. I was given a GigaHub. I already had my own router working with my old Bell DSL modem in bridge mode, so I thought I'd just trying to do what I did with the DSL modem... plug the router into one of the LAN ports then have my router issue the PPPoE authentication request (using the b1 number and password). It just worked. The Gigahub put itself into bridge mode and everything "just works". And, I even managed to get a 2nd port into bridge mode so my VOIP ATA that issues a separate PPPoE authentication request gets a 2nd IP address.
alpovs

alpovs

What you described is PPPoE passthrough mode, not bridge mode as you didn't have to set up VLAN 35 and there is still some processing of packets by the GigaHub. That's what we have to use today. Bridge mode was introduced into the firmware about a month ago and cannot be enabled yet.
techiesar
join:2019-03-03
canada

1 recommendation

techiesar

Average residential customers will face number of issues when they call tech support to put in their giga hub modem to bridge mode. The level 1 tech support is useless, poorly trained and probably doesn't even know what bridge mode is. If the customer has voice and Tv services they may refuse to put the modem in bridge mode. Bell may even restrict this for only Business customers and refuse for residential customers. We all faced that when they launched the HH2000 and bridge-mode was enabled back in the day.
bb_user
join:2008-07-18
Toronto, ON

bb_user to alpovs

to alpovs
Thanks for this clarification... curious what advantages does putting the Gigahub into bridge mode bring over PPPoE passthrough? Slightly faster (since Gigahub is doing less to each package)?

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

dataiv

Hopefully with true bridge mode, it won't randomly stop working when it decides to reconfigure itself for no reason. I've had this happen a couple times, and then my router can't establish PPPoE again until I factory reset the GigaHub again.
alpovs

1 recommendation

alpovs to bb_user

to bb_user
Some people had problems with passthrough when they established many connections. The GigaHub was probably overloaded. Bridge mode should help. Maybe there were other issues.
VivienM
join:2002-02-20
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

VivienM to bb_user

to bb_user
said by bb_user:

Thanks for this clarification... curious what advantages does putting the Gigahub into bridge mode bring over PPPoE passthrough? Slightly faster (since Gigahub is doing less to each package)?

PPPoE passthrough I do not believe is officially supported. Which is near-irrelevant for home, but if you're running this into a seriousish firewall at work, it's an important consideration. Oh, and if you pay for a static IP on your business account, presumably you can't have two PPPoE sessions at the same time.

The old setup on business accounts is somewhat funny. Plug router into HH...1000?, which basically only does the VLAN tagging, then plugs into the ONT. You could certainly get rid of one device if you wanted, but you don't because, well, it's the supported way of doing it.

Anon546cd
@142.198.253.x

5 recommendations

Anon546cd to alpovs

Anon

to alpovs
This is so dumb. Instead of screwing around with Homehub firmware why not just give people an ONT if they ask for it? Bell’s flanker brands Distributel, Acanac, and Ebox all do that. It would be so much easier on customers and techs.
alpovs

alpovs

As I understand their ONTs support maximum gigabit speeds. I don't know why they didn't acquire higher speed ONTs. Maybe GigaHubs are cheaper.
techiesar
canada

techiesar to VivienM

to VivienM
Actually old business setup was good, cause you plug your own router to the ONT directly and don't have to bother with HH1000 or HH2000. I've had this setup over a year now. Rock solid no issues at all. And the phone line works off the ONT and it works well with the fax etc lines.

avernar
join:2002-05-23
Plattsville, ON

2 recommendations

avernar to alpovs

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

supposedly we can call Bell and ask to switch to bridge mode. Supposedly TV and phone are not supported in this mode

So it looks like just bridges internet VLAN.
said by alpovs:

Maybe there will be no need to bypass the GigaHub.

Without TV there is still a need.
avernar

4 recommendations

avernar to bb_user

to bb_user
said by bb_user:

then have my router issue the PPPoE authentication request (using the b1 number and password). It just worked. The Gigahub put itself into bridge mode and everything "just works". And, I even managed to get a 2nd port into bridge mode so my VOIP ATA that issues a separate PPPoE authentication request gets a 2nd IP address.

That is not Bridge Mode. That is PPPoE Passthrough.
avernar

3 recommendations

avernar to alpovs

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

Bridge mode should help.

With them only bridging the Internet VLAN it sounds like the is a software bridge so I wouldn't be surprised it there are issues.
avernar

3 recommendations

avernar to VivienM

to VivienM
said by VivienM:

PPPoE passthrough I do not believe is officially supported. Which is near-irrelevant for home

Either PPPoE passthrough or (A)DMZ is required to truly avoid double NAT.
alpovs

alpovs to avernar

to avernar
said by avernar:

I meant maybe this new bridge mode will work so well nobody will want to remove the GigaHub and replace it with something else that costs.
techiesar
canada

techiesar

said by alpovs:

said by avernar:

I meant maybe this new bridge mode will work so well nobody will want to remove the GigaHub and replace it with something else that costs.

I hope so. Also there is a trial going on where the TV doesn't need separate VLAN, it will work just like the Bell streamer. So only the Phone will not work with bridgemode.
Compatico
join:2014-10-21
Ontario

Compatico to alpovs

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

As I understand their ONTs support maximum gigabit speeds. I don't know why they didn't acquire higher speed ONTs. Maybe GigaHubs are cheaper.

I believe the Nokia ONT provided has a 10gbe port and is rated to 10gig up/down. It's basically a media converter so it should be less than a Gigahub.
alpovs

alpovs

said by Compatico:

said by alpovs:

I believe the Nokia ONT provided has a 10gbe port and is rated to 10gig up/down. It's basically a media converter so it should be less than a Gigahub.

Can you check? I've never had one but remember reading reports of only gigabit ports. Also does it support XGS-PON? If you can post the model number we can figure it out. Regarding the price, it seems Bell has had a long term contract with Sagemcom to mass produce all kinds of "Hubs". Even it's more complex, a GigaHub may be cheaper for Bell for that reason.
silvestro
join:2023-08-11

silvestro to alpovs

to alpovs
Doesn't make any sense.
Compatico
join:2014-10-21
Ontario

2 recommendations

Compatico to alpovs

to alpovs
Just confirmed from another user on here, 10gbe port, someone on Distributel posted the info, it's XGS-PON:

»www.al-enterprise.com/-/ ··· t-en.pdf
alpovs

alpovs to silvestro

to silvestro
said by silvestro:

Doesn't make any sense.

Which part?
techiesar
canada

2 recommendations

techiesar to alpovs

to alpovs
Also, Bell prefer this Gigahub cause it is compatible with Nokia and Huawei OLTs. Bell is trying to remove Huawei from their network, but they still have a lot in use that was installed before Gov made a decision on banning Huawei. The Nokia XGS-PON ONT only works with the newer 7360 OLT and so it is limited to where they are available. This is the reason not every address qualify for Distributel/Ebox FTTH, even if that qualify for Bell FTTH.
KlatuuBarada
join:2021-12-02
Laval, QC
·EBOX

2 recommendations

KlatuuBarada to Compatico

to Compatico
Nothing new there, I have this ONT for more than a year with Ebox..., As mentionned by another user though, you need to be on a newer Nokia 7360 which is not the case for Gigahub and surely Bell does want to maximize profitability one their older GPON OLT

Yes this ONT is a major reason why I wouldn't go back to Bell even if I know I could get a better price with Bell.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998

said by KlatuuBarada:

Nothing new there, I have this ONT for more than a year with Ebox..., As mentionned by another user though, you need to be on a newer Nokia 7360 which is not the case for Gigahub and surely Bell does want to maximize profitability one their older GPON OLT

Yes this ONT is a major reason why I wouldn't go back to Bell even if I know I could get a better price with Bell.

I wish bell would offer this ONT for those that want to bypass would make things alot easier and you know it works on their network since resellers are using it.

But I guess they have agreements with Sagecom to keep pushing that trash.

shoogies
join:2023-10-18
Canada

3 recommendations

shoogies

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." --Robert J. Hanlon
Artwebb1986
join:2009-07-19
St Catharines, ON

Artwebb1986 to Makaveli998

to Makaveli998
said by Makaveli998:

I wish bell would offer this ONT for those that want to bypass would make things alot easier and you know it works on their network since resellers are using it.

But I guess they have agreements with Sagecom to keep pushing that trash.

So sign up for their business packages.
KlatuuBarada
join:2021-12-02
Laval, QC

KlatuuBarada to Makaveli998

to Makaveli998
Aren't Distributel and Acanac reselling Bell Fiber in Ontario?

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998 to Artwebb1986

to Artwebb1986
I don't need that i'm on a GPON by passed setup using my own router just speaking for the community.

And if I was switched over to XPS-PON I would buy the Azores Networks XSS XGS-PON SFP+
said by KlatuuBarada:

Aren't Distributel and Acanac reselling Bell Fiber in Ontario?

Yes and both of them give you a Nokia ONT to use with the service.
superduper
join:2014-08-25

2 recommendations

superduper to avernar

to avernar
DMZ is still double NAT.