spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gordonlynn
join:2023-12-28

gordonlynn to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda

Re: [Internet] Real bridge mode is coming to GigaHub

Surprised to see that I am getting referenced here from Reddit!

LOL that was a surprise for me when someone from Bell helped my to do a Gigahub bypass. Unfortunately it is not a real Bridge-mode, works exactly like PPPoE passthrough and even worse. Now my latency becomes extremely unstable, varying between 5ms to 400+ms when I am trying to ping 8.8.4.4. As long as I am using any kind of multi-connection service through WAN (Plex, Resilio, Wireguard VPN etc.) my internet just becomes unusablely slow.

I am almost ready to switch to Rogers with a much lower upload speed, but at least their bridge-mode is real.

avernar
join:2002-05-23
Plattsville, ON

2 edits

2 recommendations

avernar

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998 to gordonlynn

to gordonlynn
said by gordonlynn:

Surprised to see that I am getting referenced here from Reddit!

LOL that was a surprise for me when someone from Bell helped my to do a Gigahub bypass. Unfortunately it is not a real Bridge-mode, works exactly like PPPoE passthrough and even worse. Now my latency becomes extremely unstable, varying between 5ms to 400+ms when I am trying to ping 8.8.4.4. As long as I am using any kind of multi-connection service through WAN (Plex, Resilio, Wireguard VPN etc.) my internet just becomes unusablely slow.

I am almost ready to switch to Rogers with a much lower upload speed, but at least their bridge-mode is real.

Why don't you do a proper bypass as listed in the discord?
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to avernar

to avernar
said by avernar:

said by gordonlynn:

Unfortunately it is not a real Bridge-mode, works exactly like PPPoE passthrough

What makes you say it’s not a real bridge mode? Still having to use PPPoE doesn’t mean it’s not in bridge mode.

There are reports on Discord that this "bridge mode" does nothing more than disable services and interface on the GigaHub. It doesn't enable real bridge mode between two interfaces in networking terms. It's the same as PPPoE passthrough inheriting its weaknesses.
alpovs

alpovs to gordonlynn

to gordonlynn
said by gordonlynn:

As long as I am using any kind of multi-connection service through WAN (Plex, Resilio, Wireguard VPN etc.) my internet just becomes unusablely slow.

Well, I use Plex, Resilio, Wireguard and more in PPPoE passthrough and don't see high latency. You need to really hammer your connection with a lot of connections/states to see "the GigaHub effect", like heavy torrenting.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

1 edit

3 recommendations

avernar to alpovs

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

There are reports on Discord that this "bridge mode" does nothing more than disable services and interface on the GigaHub. It doesn't enable real bridge mode between two interfaces in networking terms. It's the same as PPPoE passthrough inheriting its weaknesses.

If anyone needed proof that Sagemcom Engineers are morons, this right here. And people wonder why people want to bypass these piece of 💩 devices.

So it looks like this is just a fake feature for Marketing purposes.
techiesar
join:2019-03-03
canada

techiesar

N
said by avernar:

said by alpovs:

If anyone needed proof that Sagemcom Engineers are morons, this right here. And people wonder why people want to bypass these piece of 💩 devices.

So it looks like this is just a fake feature for Marketing purposes.

Not just Sagemcom but Bell Engineers too. They are pushing this gagahub garbage to Business customers. We all have Legacy ONT which has no issues. If something works right, bell always want to replace that with garbage equipment.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

1 edit

3 recommendations

avernar

said by techiesar:

Not just Sagemcom but Bell Engineers too. They are pushing this gagahub garbage to Business customers. We all have Legacy ONT which has no issues. If something works right, bell always want to replace that with garbage equipment.

Yeah, Bell gets the blame for not replacing the Legacy ONT with the one that has a 10Gbps port and going this crappy combo ONT/Router direction.

But this brain dead "bridge mode" is all on Sagemcom Engineers.

Not surprising that Bell manglement and engineers are pushing the solution that can handle their faster packages.
gordonlynn
join:2023-12-28

gordonlynn to alpovs

to alpovs
With the "Bridge mode" or PPPoE passthrough it definitely gives me irrgeular latency spikes. I guess if I was still using Gigahub as my router then that won't be a huge issue.

shoogies
join:2023-10-18
Canada

3 recommendations

shoogies to avernar

to avernar
said by avernar:

Yeah, Bell gets the blame for not replacing the Legacy ONT with the one that has a 10Gbps port and going this crappy combo ONT/Router direction.

But this brain dead "bridge mode" is all on Sagemcom Engineers.

Not surprising that Bell manglement and engineers are pushing the solution that can handle their faster packages.

Bell = "One Size Fits All".
Standard operating procedure for mega-corporations, whose primary aim is to maximum profits while minimizing costs.
Lumute
join:2011-11-28
L7G

Lumute to alpovs

to alpovs
Ordered Business service at a new location in Etobicoke and was told I could not get Static IP on 3Gpbs and the maximum was 1.5 Gbps so I got that.

Service installed on Friday and getting full speed after installed with the GigaHub, asked the technician to switch it to Bridge mode and he made a call and after I was able to connect using PPPoE fine but could only get about 500Kbps up/down out of that, switched back and forth a couple of times and results remained the same. Technician told me that this seems to be normal for the GigaHub and he has seen this on other installations, as soon as you put it in bridged mode the speed goes down considerably... What a POS modem, seriously!

Called Bell and told them I cannot accept the service like that, they downgraded the service to 1Gbps and are sending a technician later this week to replace the modem with the old HH2000 + ONT + UPS combo... I have this exact same setup at home and works fine.
alpovs

alpovs

Don't believe that technician. This is the first report like this. No one else reported such a problem.

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

Pir8pete to Compatico

to Compatico
yes sir I have one with rogers and it works great

avernar
Plattsville, ON

2 recommendations

avernar

said by Pir8pete:

yes sir I have one with rogers and it works great

The Nokia ONT that Rogers provides is XGS-PON and definitely has a 10Gbps port.

Does anyone else know if Bell has upgraded from the Nokia E-240G-B ONT?
Lumute
L7G

Lumute to alpovs

to alpovs
I normally don't pay much attention to what their technicians say but in this case I confirmed multiple times as soon as the GigaHub is put in Bridge Mode my speed goes down... I tried doing PPPoE from my router and also from my PC connected directly to the GigaHub (not simultanepusly ofc)... But, when in regular router mode I get full speed. What else could cause this if not the GigaHub?
alpovs

alpovs

A faulty GigaHub? And how did you switch back and forth between bridge and routed mode? It can obly be done from Bell's side and I read somewhere that for switching back to routed mode they ship a new GigaHub. Not sure if it's true, though.
Lumute
L7G

3 recommendations

Lumute

While the technician was there we did it a couple of times, he was on the line with his tech support and asked them to do it... Each time the modem rebooted and when on Bridge mode my laptop would not have internet until connecting with PPPoE...

I can understand faulty modems but this seems rather specific fault... They'll be coming with a HH200 on Thursday, I will try to get the technician to try with another GigaHub first to rule that out...
red6
join:2012-05-11

red6 to alpovs

to alpovs
Does anyone know if Bridge Mode can be enabled now that it is early February. I have escalated the issue to a case manager and a level 3 tech in Ottawa spoke to me for 30 minutes last Friday.
He was very knowledgeable but did not have a time frame and did not now if the Small Business version of the Gigahub had Bridge mode.

I am escalating to the executive office because I am not pleased that functionality I had at 2 other homes can no longer be delivered.

The Gigabit Hub does not offer security features that are a day-to-day requirement in 2024 such as secure DNS, secure remote 2 factor access to the router. Essentially all things needed for compliance to guarantee Bell employees can not see the traffic.
Too many threat actors do malicious things by first tricking unsuspecting employees and we all know Bell's folks are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Hey, Bell can't even roll out IPv6.

And what is with the hidden wifi for TV that cannot be turned off? Also what is with the inability to assigned different SSID's to 2.4 and 5 and 6 spectrum and specify the channel numbers and the width?

And the Direct Support Forum is no longer useful as it was back in the day.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

said by red6:

Does anyone know if Bridge Mode can be enabled now that it is early February.

Use PPPoE and turn off the WiFi. Tada. That's what the bridge mode on the GH is.
said by red6:

And what is with the hidden wifi for TV that cannot be turned off?

There's a script that can turn them all off: »Re: Giga Hib with TP-Link Deco
said by red6:

Also what is with the inability to assigned different SSID's to 2.4 and 5 and 6 spectrum

I believe turning off whole home WiFi allows you to enter seperate SSIDs. Not sure as I use standalone APs.
said by red6:

and specify the channel numbers and the width?

Because it's a piece of crap.
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

"Because it's a piece of crap."

Dude just smashed a grand slam. Only CPE I had to downgrade firmware on a Mikrotik router to keep from crashing, plus can't use their app as it also locks up this steaming hot pile of 💩
red6

red6 to avernar

to avernar
I know it is a piece of crap. But I have not seen a way to get bridge mode up and running with my pfSense router. I am running 2.5 Gb ethernet of my pfSense and have plugged it into the 10 Gig port of the Gigahub. I don't get a a public address whatsoever.

If it can be done then how do you do it?

avernar
Plattsville, ON

2 recommendations

avernar

said by red6:

I know it is a piece of crap. But I have not seen a way to get bridge mode up and running with my pfSense router. I am running 2.5 Gb ethernet of my pfSense and have plugged it into the 10 Gig port of the Gigahub. I don't get a a public address whatsoever.

If it can be done then how do you do it?

I'm trying to tell you that the GH doesn't really have a true bridge mode. Bridge mode on the GH just shuts off the web interface and WiFi. PPPoE Passthrough still operates and that is the "bridge". I wouldn't be surprised if the Bell side access is still functional.

It really doesn't do much other than convincing some PHB that you've turned on bridge mode.

You have to set up PPPoE on your pfSense to get a public IP. In fact if you somehow got Bell to turn bridge mode you'd lose internet access until you do set up PPPoE.
red6

red6

So do I just use the credentials and plug into the 10Gbit port the the hub? And then possibly reboot. It seems I have already tried everything last week with no luck.
Thanks for help.

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

said by red6:

So do I just use the credentials and plug into the 10Gbit port the the hub? And then possibly reboot. It seems I have already tried everything last week with no luck.
Thanks for help.

Just enter the B1 username and password into your router. No need to reboot anything.

If you're in Atlantic Canada then you'll have to use ADMZ instead since PPPoE is not used there.
sDs0
join:2019-10-22
Kanata, ON

sDs0 to Makaveli998

to Makaveli998
said by Makaveli998:

Why don't you do a proper bypass as listed in the discord?

Do you have a link to the discord? I'm having trouble finding it
alpovs

3 recommendations

alpovs

It was here on the first page: »HH4K / Gigahub XGS-PON Bypassed
sDs0
join:2019-10-22
Kanata, ON

sDs0

thank you!
hovercraft
join:2024-03-03
St John'S, NL

hovercraft to alpovs

to alpovs
I am trying to resolved a double NAT issue limiting my Plex server from full speed remote connections. I have Gigahub and Google wifi pods as main router. I have the wifi turned off on the Gigahub. Right now I have Admz set up so my google router bypasses the gigahub NAT, but is there a better way to do this? Bridge/PPPOE?

Any insight would be great cheers

avernar
Plattsville, ON

avernar

You should not have double NAT with ADMZ. If you have double NAT with ADMZ it means your router has a private IP and therefore you entered the wrong MAC address into the ADMZ screen on the GH.

Bridge mode (if you can somehow get them to turn it on) is just an overglorified PPPoE Passthrough mode on the GH.

PPPoE would be another option if ADMZ doesn't work. Is Newfoundland in PPPoE territory or is it DHCP only?
hovercraft
join:2024-03-03
St John'S, NL

1 edit

hovercraft

Yes sorry, I meant i am trying ADMZ to try and fix the double NAT issue. The ADMZ seems to be working for the double NAT, but the connection was dropping a bit. I added my router to the MAC filter allowed list and that seems to have smoothed it out. is there anything else I should look out for or change?

I saw some discussion of beta firmware for the Gigahub that might make this simpler