·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002

Re: Fiber going live: more progress made on the Boardman system

Click for full size
This is what's going on in Poland. There are no less than 15 tickets open for Comcast within a mile or so of my sisters house.
ChuckX192
join:2022-11-08
Youngstown, OH

ChuckX192

There's no tickets open near me. Hopefully work will be done soon.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH

dslwanter

Premium Member

It moves rather fast. Armstrong has a good system going now for sure.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

ChuckX192

That's good to hear

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

dslwanter

Premium Member

All new fiber connections go to cg-nat, a quick phone call gets you to dynamic ipv4. No word on ipv6.
kirk1233
join:2003-08-15
Gibsonia, PA
·Armstrong

kirk1233

When I had Armstrong and was converted to fiber I can confirm they will get you to dymanic public routable IP, but I ended up with one tied to a different area for geolocation. I ended up needing to pay five bucks for a static to ultimately resolve that.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

2 recommendations

ChuckX192 to xpxp2002

to xpxp2002
I'm starting to see more and more work being done around Boardman. They just surveyed my street again on Friday. West Blvd is getting fiber ran right now. 224 up by the old Golden Coral has a spool sitting there and also 224 by Mill Creek Golf Course has aerial lines going up.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

dslwanter

Premium Member

That is good. I see at&t has gotten pretty hot and heavy over there too. 224 up and down market and south avenues and all of the neighborhoods around that area. I was at st e boardman the other day and noticed it all the way up to that block of 224.
dslwanter

1 recommendation

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002
Click for full size
I am 90% sure this is what they're using for distribution. These hubs are larger scale than the PFPs AT&T uses.
xpxp2002
join:2014-08-29
NEO

xpxp2002

Oh wow. Yeah, AT&T doesn't put natural gas generator backup on their DSLAMs. And their PFPs don't need them.

I expected to see a larger fiber bundle coming down that pole, given the area served.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter

Premium Member

There's a large fiber bundle that comes down off of 46 and presumably down under ohltown rd to this box. The grey conduit comes up and feeds into the box. The tech that installed for me said they are pretty elaborate, he also did say they were gated which makes me wonder if this is it. This is off to the side when you pull into the Steward Health medical center. But this is the only one I've noticed and it's not at&t.
xpxp2002
NEO

xpxp2002

I expected that they would repurpose their old HFC hubs. Especially since they would already have ample bandwidth coming into them for backhaul to North Lima.

Most of the legacy TWC hubs I've seen are small brick or cinderblock huts. Not prefab buildings like they use below cell towers. I was expecting Armstrong to have something similar, but maybe they'll shed those old buildings in favor of these smaller footprint outdoor equipment boxes. I'm sure it costs less in HVAC alone.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter

Premium Member

It also appears that none of the old fiber is immediately being using in the new network. I suspect some of it may be repurposed for additional capacity as needed. You can see it pass right around the splitters along with the coax. Obviously because they still have to maintain the HFC network until it is completely decommissioned.

I agree, I think they are planning on shedding those properties in favor of smaller footprint. I also believe they are intending to remove all existing power injectors and drawing minimal power to power these subs, along with a natural gas generator.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

ChuckX192

They started doing a ton of tree work on my street to cut them back away from the lines. I'm assuming this is pre-construction.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 edit

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002
There's an uptick of dig orders in our development all of the sudden, i would say a solid 25-30% of the decelopment. I also notice 2 and sometimes 3 Armstrong techs working at a splice. I am wondering if contractors screwed the pooch and Armstrong is having to do damage control. Last night, there was an Armstrong tech working well past dark on a drop splice that had been preciously done by a contractor. I also no longer see "working for armstrong" or "working on the 10g" trucks. It is often no less than 2 armstrong trucks doing the fiber conversions when previously they were only doing the final terminations to make it ready to go for a contracted tech to come and finish the install with the customer.
xpxp2002
NEO

xpxp2002

Interesting. Wouldn't surprise me. Fiber will be easy for them to manage the plant once it's done. But all the splicing and build isn't as easy and forgiving as coax.

I just wonder whether it was the contractor screwing up or if Armstrong is just trying to cut costs by bringing more of the work in house.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

Maybe both, but I know for sure these are redos
dslwanter

2 edits

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002
I also got a little more wind of At&ts build out. They are linking all of the Co's with 2 fiber feeds running down main roads in the area. These are all buried. Blue and orange conduit. Right now, they are trenching 46 from Mahoning up into weathersfield and niles. At each area where you see conduit outward is going to be a splice with a cylindar cone marked fiber. This already happened up and down Mahoning Ave, 224, 422, meridian, salt springs just to name a few. Team Fishel is the contractor for this piece. Once this is done they'll be adding more neighborhoods. My suspicion is this is capacity driven, more capacity between each co they'll add more pfps.

All pretty cool to witness and about a decade overdue.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

ChuckX192

Interesting, I've seen Team Fishel all over Boardman as well. They were working on the corner of West Blvd and 224 about a month ago that looks like it might be complete. Haven't seen much since then though. Just a lot of surveying on my street. Not sure when they are supposed to start work.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 recommendation

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002
AT&T and Armstrong both turned up fiber in the develoment adjacent to me this week. The att pfp went in last August, so for some reason there was a stall I imagine capacity concerns. I noticed that there's a spool of fiber right where this ends and down pole looking like another pfp is going to cascade off of it, that's the one to serve us from what I can tell. My in laws are in this development, I am really curious to see what kind of deal they're going to be able to hagle.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

1 recommendation

ChuckX192

Fishel is digging the trenches for fiber installation at the intersection of Shields and Lockwood right now. I just passed it. They're also installing Fiber on Lockwood over by the Rosewood neighborhood.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by ChuckX192:

Fishel is digging the trenches for fiber installation at the intersection of Shields and Lockwood right now. I just passed it. They're also installing Fiber on Lockwood over by the Rosewood neighborhood.

With orange and blue conduit right? Looks to be AT&Ts backhaul. All of the paths lead to downtown Youngstown it seems. They're working hard on 46 and Mahoning up into Weathersfield as well presumably to the Niles CO.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

ChuckX192

Yep, I saw the conduit laying around where they were digging. If I go past it again, I'll get a better look.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

dslwanter to xpxp2002

Premium Member

to xpxp2002
I got my rack rate bill of $109 after promo. Best they can do is $15 off. At&t ahoy when our pfp is ready at rack rate of $80, $70 if I switch to their cell service. Thought Armstrong would do a little better.

OSIU
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Nowhere

1 recommendation

OSIU

Premium Member

I was surprised by their lack of effort when I went to cancel for another fiber player in our town. I think the "we're the cableco and we're the best" mantra still may be in play..... I wonder how long before they change their tune.....

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

I would say the att progression is still less than 30% of their boardman system.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp to OSIU

Premium Member

to OSIU
said by OSIU:

I was surprised by their lack of effort when I went to cancel for another fiber player in our town. I think the "we're the cableco and we're the best" mantra still may be in play..... I wonder how long before they change their tune.....

This really is everyone’s mantra now. People switch back and forth so much it’s not worth it for them to not make their margins. Even DIRECTV who used to heavily discount to keep customers has stopped

Anon4d95d
@24.129.249.x

Anon4d95d to xpxp2002

Anon

to xpxp2002
I'm in McDonald and got Armstrong fiber in November. I know some in town have AT&T fiber also, but it's not in my neighborhood yet.
ChuckX192
Youngstown, OH

1 recommendation

ChuckX192 to xpxp2002

to xpxp2002
More work is being done around 224/lockwood/tippecanoe area today. Team fishel had a turning lane blocked off from Lockwood and they were digging near the bridge by Handels.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter

Premium Member

It is still a big race. Armstrong has tightened up on pricing and promotions, they moved perhaps too fast and I'll bet they're feeling it and the loss of subscribers to at&t. Att is selling 1gbps here now for $70 while Armstrong wants $109, $95 with the promo. They will not honor last year's $68 promo, my bill is now up $25/mo.