MVM
join:2009-11-25

4 recommendations

HELLFIRE

MVM

[OBIT] WordPerfect co-founder Bruce Bastian dies at 76

»www.theregister.com/2024 ··· bastian/
quote:
Obit Tech entrepreneur Bruce Wayne Bastian, co-founder of WordPerfect, died last month at the age of 76 at his home in Palmdale, California. The cause, according to the B. W. Bastian Foundation, was "complications associated with pulmonary fibrosis." Bastian helped create the word processing application that became WordPerfect while still a graduate student at Brigham Young University, working with Alan Ashton, his computer science professor. They formed Satellite Software International (SSI) in 1979 and released an initial version of the software in March 1980 under the name SSI*WP for the Data General minicomputer. It cost $5,500 at the time, according to W. E. Pete Peterson, who wrote a history of the WordPerfect Corporation in the book Almost Perfect. ... Bastian left WordPerfect following its sale to Novell and focused on philanthropy, supporting arts and cultural programs in Utah. ...
FWIW.

Regards

legendNYC
Soon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-04
Jamaica, NY

2 recommendations

legendNYC

Premium Member

R.I.P.

I worked at an NYC Law Firm that beta tested WordPerfect.

I also spent time with MultiMate.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

3 recommendations

tlbepson to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
I'm still using WordPerfect (version 8)...best wp software there is...'-}}

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

3 recommendations

Dustyn to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
I recall using WordPerfect 5.0 on my IBM XT.
»winworldpc.com/product/w ··· t/50-dos

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

3 recommendations

takeahike to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Click for full size
Word Perfect 6.2 for DOS
RIP. I still have WP version 6.2 for DOS--last DOS version--running with DOSBox-X. Actually, I also have the iconic version 5.1 for DOS but have more trouble using it than the 6.2 version.