All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
paolo
join:2018-11-06
canada

paolo to Artwebb1986

to Artwebb1986

Re: [Homephone] VOIP phone not allowed for BMO 2FA verification.

why bother, landlines receive CALLS right? maybe this will solve all the problems, just make it so bmo CALLS the landline not texts it and the problem will be solved? geesh, why complicate things.

Gwai Lo Dan
join:2007-01-24
Mississauga, ON

Gwai Lo Dan

The op said he gets the CALL but the code from the call doesn't work.
Expand your moderator at work
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

1 edit

3 recommendations

Dingaan to paolo

to paolo

Re: [Homephone] VOIP phone not allowed for BMO 2FA verification.

said by paolo:

said by Dingaan:

Logging in to BMO requires Card# + Password. Once in, OTP is required only for higher risk operations such as adding a new Contact for Interac or Bill payment.

There you go, it's not as big of an issue as you have made it out to be, you can still easily log in to your bmo online banking your making it sound like you need to do all this and that.

This only really only affects people who are doing a bill payment or adding an interac contact, so there you go, don't make it sound like it affects everybody.

Not worth replying. It seems you are either lacking in reading skills or in basic comprehension.

In any event with BMO's help, the issue (adding a contact) has been resolved. In fact made an Interac payment to a contractor today. Thanks to those who provided useful information.

No more input required. Especially from those with comprehension & reading deficiencies!
Artwebb1986
join:2009-07-19
St Catharines, ON

Artwebb1986 to paolo

to paolo
said by paolo:

why bother, landlines receive CALLS right? maybe this will solve all the problems, just make it so bmo CALLS the landline not texts it and the problem will be solved? geesh, why complicate things.

How should I know. I was only correcting that you can text landlines just fine and have been able to for years.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

1 edit

alpovs to Dingaan

to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

In any event with BMP's help, the issue (adding a contact) has been resolved.

I am curious who or what BMP is.

Gwai Lo Dan
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

Gwai Lo Dan

I was guessing BMO
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

Yes, makes sense. I thought it was a member of this forum.

Gwai Lo Dan
Mississauga, ON

Gwai Lo Dan

So didI and I searched for his recommendation...but saw no one with that name, and realized that O is beside P on the keyboard.
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan

One of these would also have solved the issue

Bell Systems Western Electric 554 BMP Rotary Wall Phone
»i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2 ··· 1600.jpg
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

1 recommendation

coolspot18 to paolo

to paolo
said by paolo:

When you log in on a Desktop, a request is sent to the APP, you get a pop up on your smart phone app, as long as its connected to internet, you click approve or deny.

Banks should just use TOTP or FIDO2 authenticators - this way I can use my own authenticators on my own devices in my own app or hardware.

Scotiabank and RBC's 2SV is inconvenient when one has multiple devices.
coolspot18

coolspot18 to paolo

to paolo
said by paolo:

Landlines receive CALLS not SMS'es

Landlines can absolutely receive SMS - it depends on the specific carrier.
paolo
join:2018-11-06
canada

paolo

Once again and I HATE to discuss off topic but it deserve it, landlines CAN NOT receive SMS/MMS on its own, they were never designed for it, you CAN send an sms to a landline with the help of a third party service, but then again, your sending the message to another device and probably reading it externally like on a phone or computer but NOT on your actual landline. Your landline phone either has no display or is only capable of displaying the Caller ID only, nothing else.

I know what your thinking, the service exists, yes I get it, and its third-party and costs money, so its not available out of the box. you might as well use a cell phone in that case with the amount of money you will pay to add this to a traditional landline, geesh
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359 to Dingaan

Premium Member

to Dingaan
I had to laugh and stop reading when op suggested cell phones weren't safe for banking.

You literally need my fucking fingerprint to open the app and do anything.

Does OP grasp that should your password be compromised, the bank can and will tell you to pound sand?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Artwebb1986

Premium Member

to Artwebb1986
said by Artwebb1986:

Hahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahhahaha you are funny.

TD is equally annoying; they have app based authentication but have baffling insisted on rolling out their own "TD Authenticator" app.

Because my existing devices and browser with shared standard authenticator support, passkey support, etc are all apparently not good enough - TD has decided we need a dedicated, TD-written app for 2FA codes.

It's like Canadian banks go out of their way to implement this stuff incorrectly...
Artwebb1986
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

Artwebb1986

said by SimplePanda:

TD is equally annoying; they have app based authentication but have baffling insisted on rolling out their own "TD Authenticator" app.

Because my existing devices and browser with shared standard authenticator support, passkey support, etc are all apparently not good enough - TD has decided we need a dedicated, TD-written app for 2FA codes.

It's like Canadian banks go out of their way to implement this stuff incorrectly...

I saw today that Authy got hacked too, supposedly 33 millions users with phone numbers as well. Never heard of them but still not good.

»www.engadget.com/twilio- ··· ounter=1
Artwebb1986

Artwebb1986 to paolo

to paolo
said by paolo:

Once again and I HATE to discuss off topic but it deserve it, landlines CAN NOT receive SMS/MMS on its own, they were never designed for it, you CAN send an sms to a landline with the help of a third party service, but then again, your sending the message to another device and probably reading it externally like on a phone or computer but NOT on your actual landline. Your landline phone either has no display or is only capable of displaying the Caller ID only, nothing else.

I know what your thinking, the service exists, yes I get it, and its third-party and costs money, so its not available out of the box. you might as well use a cell phone in that case with the amount of money you will pay to add this to a traditional landline, geesh

You don't need anything but a cell phone to text a landline. I've never had to pay any extra for text to landline not now or 15+ years ago when I first tried it. No not reading it on a computer screen either, you pick up the phone and listen.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Artwebb1986

Premium Member

to Artwebb1986
said by Artwebb1986:

I saw today that Authy got hacked too, supposedly 33 millions users with phone numbers as well. Never heard of them but still not good.

iCloud Password Manager is really the way to go if you're in the Apple ecosystem. End-to-end encryption for sync with passwords / 2FA / passkeys all shared between devices.

All the Android people I know just use Google Authenticator.

Not sure what the use case for a third party tool like Authy really is, especially given the lack of track record w/ security (that's clearly looking like it's bit them).
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359

Premium Member

I have been using bitwarden and Microsoft authenticater for a few years. No issues.
Artwebb1986
St Catharines, ON

Artwebb1986 to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

iCloud Password Manager is really the way to go if you're in the Apple ecosystem. End-to-end encryption for sync with passwords / 2FA / passkeys all shared between devices.

All the Android people I know just use Google Authenticator.

Not sure what the use case for a third party tool like Authy really is, especially given the lack of track record w/ security (that's clearly looking like it's bit them).

I wonder if any of these "hacks" are self-inflicted. Maybe 7 years ago now my grandma ordered a new laptop from Dell, she was sent the confirmation and whatnot like usual. Clicked the link it brought her to Dell's site but instead of showing her order #, it showed every single order from the same day she ordered, name, address, phone, delivery, last 4 digits of credit card and type, amount owing or paid. I mean Atleast it didn't show the full credit card but still fucked up. Everything from small orders to $100,000. When she called to tell them obviously their level one person was just like oh that shouldn't have happened. Lol

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

They typically are (self-inflicted).

I think a lot of people (including company founders) don't fully appreciate the enormous workload required in both building and maintaining best-practices in security, nor do they understand the mandatory time commitment in implementing those practices day-to-day in staff operations.

A lot of founders/executives see this is "inefficiency" and corners get cut.

All fun and games until you've leaked a few hundred thousand passwords or credit card numbers.

In my consulting work, I'm amazed at the reactions I get when I explain to clients what is required for them to be Type D PCI compliant (a company that wants to store credit card data internally).

"We just want to store people's credit card numbers. Why do I need a written policy on who is allowed to update firewall and network IDS rules?"

I've heard that actual response more than a few times.

I'm honestly amazed we're not hearing about even more leaks/hacks. They're definitely happening.