Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I am having an uneducated Samsung related question and don't take it as a shade because I am seriously considering another device later this year (coming from years of iPhones) and I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy24 Ultra at a store yesterday and I was kind of "underwhelmed" by the camera? I am not sure if it was the lighting of the store but everything looked too pale or "cold"? like the colours of the photos didnt pop and even before taking the photo, it looked a little "grainy" compared to the otherwise amazingly looking display.
The pictures taken with S24U is definitely not pale or cold, if anything they tend to lean more towards the warmer side and they can sometimes oversaturate the picture :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I am having an uneducated Samsung related question and don't take it as a shade because I am seriously considering another device later this year (coming from years of iPhones) and I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy24 Ultra at a store yesterday and I was kind of "underwhelmed" by the camera? I am not sure if it was the lighting of the store but everything looked too pale or "cold"? like the colours of the photos didnt pop and even before taking the photo, it looked a little "grainy" compared to the otherwise amazingly looking display.
The camera is a step behind iphones and pixels IMO, but the hardware is better than pixels. I've been switching back and forth between pixel 8 pro and s24u, as S24U is smoother with better battery life, but form factor and camera is better on pixel 8 pro. I think the photo processing algorythm isn't the best, and hardware might also be the case as when I set processing to the minimum it didn't really have much change.

Reactions: War833 and keithop

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Does anyone else have an issue with calls disconnecting immediately when the other person answers or when the calls go to voice mail? Same thing when people call me or get sent to my voicemail, the call disconnects. It happens with my VOIP app for work (RingCentral) as well, which is a terrible inconvenience. Only solution thus far is to reboot the phone which resolves it for a few days, then it comes back. Started happening a few months ago and occurring more often lately.

I'm experiencing my first go-around with Samsung support, I have Care+ on my S24+. Phone support is useless as I expected, at one point running me through tablet troubleshooting. I need to bring the phone into UbreakIfix near me for diagnosis. What are the odds that this will be identified and fixed, ideally with a replacement phone? I don't care if it is refurbished, I just need a working phone.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I haven't this issue myself but I am curious if this is a carrier issue? Do you have other lines to test on?

If this is urgent....i would just get it replaced if the time to test is not viable.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I haven't this issue myself but I am curious if this is a carrier issue? Do you have other lines to test on?

If this is urgent....i would just get it replaced if the time to test is not viable.
Thank you for the reply. Samsung wouldn't offer to replace it, they insist that I bring into the Ubreak store. Their line has been busy for the last hour. We have two other phones on my account, both are iPhones on T-Mobile, no issues. I did some digging, some people have issues on their phones and also S23 series. Sometimes it's fixed by disabling WiFi calling, but not in my case.

Edit- usually I dual wield phones and made a solid effort to only use one at a time so far this year since switching to Samsung. My wife is angry that my phone misses her calls and actually wants me to buy another phone. Well, if she insists... 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: yui4 and jamezr

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If Apple Intelligence is free then Samsung can't charge for Galaxy AI. Good news for us. Samsung will have to keep improving it's AI features without ever charging.
Lets get this straight and clear!

On device Ai features will continue to be free beyond 1 year starting with new devices like the S24 or S23 which received AI update in OneUI 6.1 back in March 2024.

Cloud based Aai calls using Gemini will cost a low subscription fee after the first year which for 2 mentioned devices begins on Febursry for S24 and April for S23.

Please try not to misconstrue specifics clearly defined by poor and misleading summarization, please.

Edit: when you have Apple Intelligence via iOS 18 update you can cross reference my statement above with the facts or until then use Google or ChatGPt online ;) hehe.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thank you for the reply. Samsung wouldn't offer to replace it, they insist that I bring into the Ubreak store. Their line has been busy for the last hour. We have two other phones on my account, both are iPhones on T-Mobile, no issues. I did some digging, some people have issues on their phones and also S23 series. Sometimes it's fixed by disabling WiFi calling, but not in my case.

Edit- usually I dual wield phones and made a solid effort to only use one at a time so far this year since switching to Samsung. My wife is angry that my phone misses her calls and actually wants me to buy another phone. Well, if she insists... 🤣
You can't miss calls from the wife! That leads down a very dark path :)

The only time I have ever had similar issues was switching back and for between my 15PM and S24U. That was when I forgot I was still logged in with my Apple ID on my iPad.
I hope you get this sorted....

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

No issues here either (MVNO... US Mobile on T-Mobile)

+1 for open a ticket with your mobile carrier. Odds are high that something is up on the "backend". Easy to reproduce and klunk them in the head to (hopefully!) resolve.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
You can't miss calls from the wife! That leads down a very dark path :)

The only time I have ever had similar issues was switching back and for between my 15PM and S24U. That was when I forgot I was still logged in with my Apple ID on my iPad.
I hope you get this sorted....

No issues here either (MVNO... US Mobile on T-Mobile)

+1 for open a ticket with your mobile carrier. Odds are high that something is up on the "backend". Easy to reproduce and klunk them in the head to (hopefully!) resolve.
I spoke with UbreakIfix and the guy said right away it seems like a defective charging port that interferes with the antenna. I use e-sim so it isn't a physical SIM issue.

Tried T-Mobile, they recommend the usual factory reset which I'm not doing again. They reset network connection so we'll see. I'll probably just drop it off this weekend at the shop since they have the part on hand.

Also bought a global Xiaomi 14 from Swappa to use as a backup, pretty excited to try it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I spoke with UbreakIfix and the guy said right away it seems like a defective charging port that interferes with the antenna. I use e-sim so it isn't a physical SIM issue.

Tried T-Mobile, they recommend the usual factory reset which I'm not doing again. They reset network connection so we'll see. I'll probably just drop it off this weekend at the shop since they have the part on hand.

Also bought a global Xiaomi 14 from Swappa to use as a backup, pretty excited to try it.
Would love to read your thoughts on the Xiaomi 14

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Yea the camera is not very good..

Reactions: War833

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone here have/use the Galaxy Buds2 Pro's?

In particular anyone experience OVERLY sensitive auto ambient mode triggered by sounds not of your own voice?
For me overhead speaker announcements in buildings, offices, through the P.A.T.H. and TTC here in Toronto since the last firmware update in May is super announcing! I have to touch the screen of my S23 to disable its auto trigger or use the side buds function to raise volume while listening to music when this happens to disable it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

She’s a keeper 👍

She definitely is a keeper, to echo Yui4. You don't want her calling some next man that's for sure. So take her with you to test calls on the next phone. This way when the next phone fails you can say in Shaggy's voice "Its not my fault" (vs it wasn't me).

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Would love to read your thoughts on the Xiaomi 14
I just dropped off the S24+ at UbreakIfix, probably will be repaired by tomorrow. Calls were deteriorating even further over this past weekend, I needed to turn WiFi completely off and then restart the phone call.

I've been using the Xiaomi 14 for a day, not nearly enough time to give it a fair shake. OneUI is so much more refined than HyperOS, but the latter also has advantages. Developer options are accessible by default as is DC dimming option.

Colored notification icons on lock screen- why did Samsung make them all one color? Looks much better.

Every BT audio codec under the sun is supported, no proprietary BS. My earbuds connect using AptX Adaptive high quality by default. My Watch 6 Classic and Buds 2 Pro work seamlessly same as with a Galaxy phone using the Wear app.

I have not used the camera enough yet to state any opinion, sadly.

Android Auto will not work wirelessly with my car, the app completely bugs out. Wired is fine. It took me a day and two (useless) calls to T-Mobile to enable WiFi calling and native visual voicemail. For WiFi calling you need to enter a dial code into the dialer to disable carrier check, and then the WiFi calling toggle will appear in settings. It borks the phone though on first run and you need to reset network settings, and once re-enabled it has worked perfectly. I needed to manually download the Mii Dialer .apk because the stock Google dialer won't take dialer codes.

Native visual voice mail will not work; I need to use the T-Mobile visual voice mail app, which isn't the end of the world. My phone calls sound much better, so there has to be something wrong with my Galaxy that hopefully can be repaired.

I won't derail the thread. TLDR, I doubt I'll use the Xiaomi 14 as a daily driver for very long, the Galaxy just is so much better tuned in terms of quality of life conveniences. It's a fun compact device though.

Does anyone here have/use the Galaxy Buds2 Pro's?

In particular anyone experience OVERLY sensitive auto ambient mode triggered by sounds not of your own voice?
For me overhead speaker announcements in buildings, offices, through the P.A.T.H. and TTC here in Toronto since the last firmware update in May is super announcing! I have to touch the screen of my S23 to disable its auto trigger or use the side buds function to raise volume while listening to music when this happens to disable it.
Occasionally I will hear my own voice, but I think it has to do with the other caller's phone / whether they are on BT or speaker themselves? Overall I've no complaints with the Buds.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I appreciate this is an S24 thread but I just got an S23+ and it's amazing. Since they both run the same software I thought I'd share. What I'm finding is the hardware great - bright screen, auto brightness is well calibrated, very snappy and superb battery life. The real star of the show, however, is One UI. This is my first Samsung phone and the things you can tinker with to get it working just how you want is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else I've had. I don't think I'll be able to go back to any other phone after this. The highlights so far are:
  • Edge panel, and ability to add extra panels like calculator and clipboard is incredibly useful.
  • One Hand Operation +, setting up diagonal short and long swipes to go home, app switcher, edge panel, and previous app. I can now navigate everything so quickly with my thumb in the same place. I have the feeling that going back to any other phone will feel cumbersome now.
  • Modes and Routines. Keeping phone unlocked and flight mode on when connected to home WiFi. Having AOD on only when charging, charging limit of 90%, 120Hz refresh rate and manual brightness when gaming.
  • Being able to adjust the volume button step change through Sound Assistant. This is a big one. On most of my previous phones the steps would be too big, it'd be too quiet - 1 click up, bam... too loud.
  • Reducing photo sharpening through Camera Assistant. I think all modern smartphone cameras could benefit from this.
  • Being able to drag an app from the top corner to put it into pop-up mode.
  • Removing the notification bar in split screen. I've always found that even with big 6.7"ish phone split screen is a bit awkward. This helps a lot.
  • Changing app switcher style to that of iOS.
  • Setting up calls, notifications, and alarms to sound only through headphones even in vibrate mode.
And so many other things. I'm frankly amazed at what you can do. If Samsung added secure FaceID like iPhone (not like Pixel 8), it would be the perfect phone.

Let me know if there is anything I should do as a new Samsung user. I'm curious as to what your 'must have' settings are!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just dropped off the S24+ at UbreakIfix, probably will be repaired by tomorrow. Calls were deteriorating even further over this past weekend, I needed to turn WiFi completely off and then restart the phone call.

I've been using the Xiaomi 14 for a day, not nearly enough time to give it a fair shake. OneUI is so much more refined than HyperOS, but the latter also has advantages. Developer options are accessible by default as is DC dimming option.

Colored notification icons on lock screen- why did Samsung make them all one color? Looks much better.

Every BT audio codec under the sun is supported, no proprietary BS. My earbuds connect using AptX Adaptive high quality by default. My Watch 6 Classic and Buds 2 Pro work seamlessly same as with a Galaxy phone using the Wear app.

I have not used the camera enough yet to state any opinion, sadly.

Android Auto will not work wirelessly with my car, the app completely bugs out. Wired is fine. It took me a day and two (useless) calls to T-Mobile to enable WiFi calling and native visual voicemail. For WiFi calling you need to enter a dial code into the dialer to disable carrier check, and then the WiFi calling toggle will appear in settings. It borks the phone though on first run and you need to reset network settings, and once re-enabled it has worked perfectly. I needed to manually download the Mii Dialer .apk because the stock Google dialer won't take dialer codes.

Native visual voice mail will not work; I need to use the T-Mobile visual voice mail app, which isn't the end of the world. My phone calls sound much better, so there has to be something wrong with my Galaxy that hopefully can be repaired.

I won't derail the thread. TLDR, I doubt I'll use the Xiaomi 14 as a daily driver for very long, the Galaxy just is so much better tuned in terms of quality of life conveniences. It's a fun compact device though.

Occasionally I will hear my own voice, but I think it has to do with the other caller's phone / whether they are on BT or speaker themselves? Overall I've no complaints with the Buds.

Galaxy Buds2 Pro doesn't support AptX Adaptive codec though. So unless you have different buds you mentioned regarding any audio codec something is a-foot and you may not realize it.

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Galaxy Buds2 Pro doesn't support AptX Adaptive codec though. So unless you have different buds you mentioned regarding any audio codec something is a-foot and you may not realize it.

I also have Denon PerL Pro earbuds that support AptX Lossless and AptX Adaptive, yes.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The cat claims that not only will the s25u corners no longer be sharp, but they will be rounder than all the other S series back to the note 7.

I wonder how the pointy corners of the S24u will be remembered in history?
2464c32aa8a2915078ea5a174193d7c5.jpg

I tried upgrading to the S22u, and S23u but after being used to the round s21u frame I couldn't do it. I personally love that they are going back to a more ergonomic shape.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Never heard of these had to look them up but man these are Ugggggly! Great quality sound from the reviews tho. But too frankenstein.
They are not the best looking for sure. But they are the best sounding earbuds I've ever heard by far. I've owned Sennheiser, Sony, B&O, Bose. Denon is in a different league along with Devialet Gemini 2.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The two biggest upgrades I would want in next generation S25 series is even more brightness (for even better outdoor visibility) and, like most here have said, something as good as FaceID. I would also want the regular S25 to have a bigger screen, like 6.4, which might happen if the iPhone 16 Pro how's 6.3 and Samsung wants to follow suit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.