Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hello,

Attempted installation on iMac 13,2 27". late 2012, original fusion HDD.

First attempt: OTA download with OCLP 1.6n resident on the HDD. Installation went through the first "preparation phase" without issues, however, on first reboot the progress bar advanced "1/5" of the way, then machine rebooted into the OCLP picker. Choosing "install Mac OS" icon from the picker, would also result in progress bar moving "1/5" of the full distance, then a reboot back to OCLP Picker; an infinite loop, not broken by nvram resets.

Second attempt: downloaded full Sequoia installer from Mr. Macintosh website, then used OCLP function to create an installer. OCLP 1.6n was also installed onto the thumb drive. Booted into the installer, but upon launching the installer a message appeared that "software is not compatible with this mac". This result mirrors what hvds experienced (see post #64)

Given that my first attempt did succeed through first stage without issue, I decided to erase the USB drive and recreate installer (using OCLP function) but, this time, I did not install the OCLP onto the thumb drive (OCLP 1.6n was installed on the HDD)

On reboot into the USB drive, the installer launched without any problems (no incompatibility message), but after successful preparation stage, the same loop as described for OTA installation occurred.

I am currently booted using 14.6 beta1 installed on an external SSD. No data loss occurred on the drive/volume with partially installed Sequoia, and all files on that volume are accessible from external SSD running 14.6 beta1.

Here is hoping that the OCLP developers at al, will find another great solution to the “loop problem.”

Reactions: hvds

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
What is the difference in downloading a full installer from Mr. Macintosh versus using the OCLP app?
The OCLP installer handles some needed resources/kexts for unsupported Macs as I understand it.
On my non metal Macs it asks to download and add some resources when updating OTA also.
But this is not up and running for Sequoia yet AFAIK.

Reactions: roronl

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
A serious reminder from the developers on Discord - Currently, OCLP does not have any kind of support for Sequoia. Developers are making their best efforts in order to add support, but it may take months or even years for something usable to be produced. Please do not install Sequoia at this time and please do not bother developers with questions or ETAs regarding Sequoia development.🤫 Patience is a virtue. And it will decrease the noise level on this thread. 😎

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
The OCLP installer handles some needed resources/kexts for unsupported Macs as I understand it.
On my non metal Macs it asks to download and add some resources when updating OTA also.
But this is not up and running for Sequoia yet AFAIK.
Nope. Same installer packages (while same build is compared).
What you notice is the DL of the appropriate KDK (kernel debug kit) from Apple when OCLP detects its needed and missing locally.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Does someone around here plan to update and user their non metal machines to Sequioa whatsoever?

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hi everyone,

I take advantage of a few days of rest after a surgery to update with the wallpapers of Sequoia, my different themes for OC present on github (3D_Squared, 3D_Rounded, 3D_BSDrive) and I also take the opportunity to add a new one with the Apple logo in 3D (Apple-OC-Themes), created for 2 years but never put online. I also added a new 'background' inpired by the opening of the Apple store Jing'an, Shanghai.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 12-50-09 GitHub - alphascorp_Apple-OC-Themes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowbunny

RockRogers

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2024
Apple seeded macOS 15 Beta 2 (24A5279h) to developers

(…and please stay away from installing these early versions if you are not a developer or the gambler 🎲 type of person)
3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - I came from SONOMA with OpenCore. Lost wi-fi, but now, the beta2 is not being offered to me on the software update section. Any thoughts? Stuck forever until OPENCORE update?

• Haha
Reactions: Heindijs

Macman iPowermacbookprair

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2016
Does someone around here plan to update and user their non metal machines to Sequioa whatsoever?
yes, once it is patched sufficiently and stable (I can wait)

Same here. I'm sure I'll be updating one of my 2011 17" mbp's at some point. Definitely after release though. I ran a beta version of MacOS once (I think it was El Capitan) and learned that way that beta OS'es aren't for me.

Amazingly, dual graphics started to work again after updating from Monterey to Sonoma. I'll be very curious to see if it's still working under Sequoia.

Reactions: MBAir2010

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Apple seeded macOS 15 Beta 2 (24A5279h) to developers

(…and please stay away from installing these early versions if you are not a developer or the gambler 🎲 type of person)
I love your disclaimer! That's all the encouragement I needed! :D

Sequoia Beta 2 installs without issues (sans OCLP post-install patches). Amazing that it runs this well at this early stage.
Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 10.23.15 PM.png

Last edited:

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Simulating Apple Silicon on an intel processor is likely a bridge too far. The best we can hope for is "High Sonoma" from OCLP. 🧐

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
The SSD will help immensely. But you will have to figure out how to physically mount the disk in the system. You can't really use the original HDD frame since it's for 3,5" disks. A frined of mine 3D printed a frame for me. But you can also buy something online.

You also will need Macs Fan Control app to link the temperature sensor of the SSD to the HDD fan. Otherwise it will run at full throttle all the time.
I 3D-printed a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, that should work right?

I don't think I need Macs Fan Control because I got the temperature sensor adapter but I might be wrong.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Yeah, fine... but without graphics support it's just no fun to test or work with.
It was fun for me, but thanks for your opinion.

EDIT: Honestly, I'd have much less interest in early installation of Sequoia if there weren't others who have appointed themselves as the police of this thread. As long as there are those who insist on commanding us, I'm content to do the opposite. They motivate me.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
It was fun for me, but thanks for your opinion.

EDIT: Honestly, I'd have much less interest in early installation of Sequoia if there weren't others who have appointed themselves as the police of this thread. As long as there are those who insist on commanding us, I'm content to do the opposite. They motivate me.
Merely repeating the developers strong and CORRECT recommendations from the site they frequent is not a command or "policing" but an attempt to save the time and frustration of others who seem intent on ignoring the experts. 🤷‍♂️

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Merely repeating the developers strong and CORRECT recommendations from the site they frequent is not a command or "policing" but an attempt to save the time and frustration of others who seem intent on ignoring the experts. 🤷‍♂️
Duly noted. I know you're only the self-appointed messenger. Please don't be frustrated or offended while I continue to ignore the experts.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
@RogueB Check Disable Library Validation and Disable AMFI in OCLP Settings > Security, rebuild and install OCLP on EFI and retry to boot on macOS Install.
Good suggestion. For MBP11,1, external SSD: checked these two settings and made new EFI. 15.0b1 now boots.
As described in post #64 (under "don't do this"), I did an amateur/gambler post-install patching with a modified OCLP 1.6.0n. 15.0b1 did boot before this patching but not afterwards.
Now that it boots again, WIFI is working, and I can use Safari 18.0. Many important things don't work, incl Finder often hanging. A proof of existence, not more, and not a surprise.
(BTW also tried to install 15.0b1 from full installer with these settings, but "software is not compatible with this mac" as before).

fmotta01

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - I came from SONOMA with OpenCore. Lost wi-fi, but now, the beta2 is not being offered to me on the software update section. Any thoughts? Stuck forever until OPENCORE update?

Same for me on iMac 18,2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.