Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hello to all,

Successful installation of Sequoia Beta2 on iMac 13,2 2012 27", Fusion HDD (original apple), **not patched** yet.
I already posted regarding previous attempts at Sequoia installation which, (now) not surprisingly, did not result in working installation of Sequoia (see post #176)

Disclaimer: Id faciam periculo meo.

Below is successful pathway:
Downloaded files from Sequoia-development branch on GitHub.
Updated Python to version 3.1.24
Downloaded pip dependencies from GitHub then, when prompted by message, updated PIP dependencies (the update was critical in my use-case)
The final result was OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher folder in "my" directory.
Maneuvered to the above folder via Terminal (cd [drugged above OCLP- folder onto the terminal window-(easiest)]
Attempted to run build "project command" in terminal, but each time in midst of the "run", program would terminate with -11 error ("missing file").
Parsed through OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher folder contents and opened Build-Folder found within, then opened
OpenCore-Build folder (nested inside the Build-folder). Found EFI and System folders in Build-folder, fully populated with relevant files (matching other working installations).
Since I did not have an actual installer (Python would exit in mid-build) I drugged the EFI and System files to the EFI partition on a disk with Sonoma 14.5 (mounted its EFI partition via terminal).
Did the same procedure for a thumb drive (with 14.5 installer) for back up.
Booted into modified 14.5 disk, then downloaded Sequoia (10.15 beta2) OTA, and let the installation process run automatically.
The installation phases for 15beta2 went through without issues, culminating in login screen. Logged in, and machine proceeded to Sequoia desktop.
Ethernet works, WiFi module is recognized but can't connect. There is no graphic acceleration, as I have not applied the patches. Posting via Safari while booted into Sequoia.

Incredible work by the OCLP and Legacy patcher developers et al, thank you!

Screenshot 2024-07-07.png

Last edited:

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
@RogueB Check Disable Library Validation and Disable AMFI in OCLP Settings > Security, rebuild and install OCLP on EFI and retry to boot on macOS Install.
I tried various combinations, but it did not seem to make any difference with my machine. Thanks.

wylhkg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks a lot, it got successful to install the 15 macOS on my 2017 MacBook Pro without normal operation issues with WiFI connection, trackpad and Camera. Thanks All the OCLP team members. We are looking forward to the final version of OCLP to support 15.
2017 not T2 chips so iPhone Mirroring not work is normal. Please note T2 Chip as below list:-
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.34.11.png

Here: OCLP-1.6 Nightly

musst Loged in in github !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: hvds

Dimvol

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
But Apple has a different list of compatible models.

compatible list.png

iMac 19.1 2019 does not have T2.
Do you have a trackpad and HD 630 working in 2017?
Neither one nor the other works for me.
Moreover: this does not work in A1990 2018, which is supported.
How did it work for you?

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Had some time on my hands so started up a dev APFS volume on my multi boot rMBP 10,1 2012 in order to simply have a look af Sequoia and start maintaining it somewhat, in order to loosely follow any OCLP developments in the coming months.
These were the highlights:
Installed without any issues using the latest OCLP Sequoia branch nightly.
As expected and not worth going into, various error messages when attempting to root patch.
Ethernet and most things appear to work once (non-safe) booted.
Did some brief tests on my usual apps without issues and on DRM: Apple Music for example appears to work.
No wifi and no acceleration yet so slow as molasses obviously.
Attempting a safe boot results in a boot loop so far so could not try that.

One thing to perhaps note for anyone with a multi-boot setup that wants to give it a go:
When booting back into the Sonoma install after attempting the root patch the Sequoia beta 2, the Sonoma install opened as if without root patches and required a safe boot and root patching again. Seems fine after that.
Ah well. Interesting to have a look.

My preliminary and subjective feel and ignoring the expected Apple Silicon and overhyped AI stuff that I have no interest in, is that it so far looks like a nice but pretty subtle upgrade for any Intel/OCLP users, barring any obstacles for the Devs to patch it again.
Early days but it looks like the main reason for Intel users to upgrade might be mainly to get a few more years of OS support. Which on the other hand might be a longer timespan if my elderly semi-retired Apple sources are to be trusted, as early "informed speculation" seems to be that Sequoia might be the last Intel supported Mac OS version and Apple might be considering a longer cut off for that reason for Sequoia (they should).
But just grapevine talk and we shall see and YMMV applies even more than usual ;)

Last edited:

stphammond

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
Installing macOS 15.0b2 on my 2015 13 inch MBP 12,1, and this happens when trying to apply root patches (excuse the fact it's sideways, it wasn't when I previewed it in Photos).

Attachments

• tempImageCtKVi3.png
    tempImageCtKVi3.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 70

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
Installing macOS 15.0b2 on my 2015 13 inch MBP 12,1, and this happens when trying to apply root patches (excuse the fact it's sideways, it wasn't when I previewed it in Photos).
Yes - as the root patcher error message says, a file is missing.
OCLP for Sequoia is work in progress, no support so far, as developers have stated often. In this case, the executable python code is partly in place, but the necessary data (e.g. drivers needed on unsupported machines) not yet.
It is good to be patient and wait for the developers. Providing such drivers yourself would be hard.
See post #224 for a very limited attempt (even so, many more hurdles met than described in the post).

Last edited:

stphammond

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
Yes - as the root patcher error message says, a file is missing.
OCLP for Sequoia is work in progress, no support so far, as developers have stated often. In this case, the executable python code is partly in place, but the necessary data (e.g. drivers needed on unsupported machines) not yet.
It is good to be patient and wait for the developers. Providing such drivers yourself would be hard.
See post #224 for a very limited attempt (even so, many more hurdles met than described in the post).
Luckily, this is not my main macOS device, my main one is an M1 Mac mini. I also am running Windows 11 via Bootcamp on this MBP.

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011

ameenjuz

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
Makkah
I unable to disable Gatekeeper using this command sudo spctl --master-disable on macOS Sequoia beta 3

This operation is no longer supported. To disable the assessment subsystem,
please use configuration profiles
Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 10.17.54 PM.png
apple mentioned new feature for System Integrity Protection
how to use configuration profiles to disable Gatekeeper to anywhere

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 10.18.52 PM.png

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
I unable to disable Gatekeeper using this command sudo spctl --master-disable on macOS Sequoia beta 3

This operation is no longer supported. To disable the assessment subsystem,
please use configuration profiles
View attachment 2396079
apple mentioned new feature for System Integrity Protection
how to use configuration profiles to disable Gatekeeper to anywhere

View attachment 2396080

delete

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
OTA update to b3 went fine on my MBA 7,2. Thanks to chris1111 usb wlan driver I didnˋt use ethernet for the first time.

Worked for me too from beta 2 to beta 3 on mid 2014 MacBook Pro on beta 1 I could never get a software update to show up so had to download full install for beta 2 but Wi-Fi was working even though no update showed.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Posting this with Safari running in Sequoia Beta 3 on my hack emulating MBP6,2. Sequoia Beta 3 update proceeded smoothly without any issues. I applied the Beta 3 update with the full macOS installer over Sequoia Beta 2. Still not applying any OCLP post-install patches and still amazed at how well Sequoia performs without the Nvidia graphics patches.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 10.27.26 AM.png

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Sequoia Beta 3 works quite well also here, on MBP11,3 and external Thunderbolt 2 SSD. Sadly, without an Ethernet connection, it isn’t possible to install the OCLP Sequoia nightly build anymore, not being able to disable Gatekeeper (spctl) from the Terminal in the usual way: but not a big problem, as there are still no root patches.

Running a Retina MBP at 2880x1800 (no root patches) or similar isn’t exactly the best possible experience: but let’s be patient and wait for August-September (IIRC, last year the first Sonoma-ready patches became available in late July)… :cool::)

Last edited:

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
It’s anyway possible to open the OCLP nightly installer on a Sequoia installation without Wi-Fi in this way (knowing that it’s good software):

xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Path/to/OpenCore-Patcher.pkg

… and then it should be possible to open it.

Of course, if possible, the easiest thing is to access the Internet with USB iPhone tethering, which works out of the box (no patches needed).

Last edited:
Reactions: sinbad21 and hvds

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
In Sequoia, I do like that my auto-hidden dock and app menus appear on each display in my multi-display configurations.
Updating an earlier post... to control whether the auto-hidden Dock appears on each display in a multi-display setup, "System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces" must be Enabled:
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 11.30.04 AM.png

I had this setting Disabled in Sonoma, which is why I wasn't seeing the auto-hidden Dock on each of my displays. Now with this setting Enabled, Sequoia and Sonoma Dock behavior is the same as expected.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
^^^ With the latest Sequoia OCLP nightly build, booting from OpenCore installed on the Sequoia SSD now works, and also FileVault (booting) works: a very nice progress.

For some unknown reason, USB iPhone tethering ceased to work after activating FileVault (which also boots with a double progress bar, the normal one and a smaller one underneath); it is almost as if the Mac with FileVault enabled booted into some form of safe mode (see also the double progress bar), albeit there isn’t any additional password prompt (as in true safe boot): strange.

… BTW, the Mist app has recently been updated for Sequoia support (so now it can download also the Sequoia developer or public beta builds):

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.