Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fiftofar

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Australia
Caution, I managed to brick my Mac mini M2, after testing it out on its internal drive I was setting up Sequoia exclusively on an external drive and leaving the internal drive blank.

All I get is a flashing orange light (3 long 3 short).
Trying a DFU restore from the following working machines fails: MacBook Pro 2019 and Mac mini 2018 both running 15.0 as well as a MacBook Air M1 running 14.5.

Apple Configurator DFU fails "The System cannot be restored on this device" (15.0 ipsw & 14.5).

Finder immediately pops up "A software update is required to connect to your iOS device" - "Would you like to download and install this update now?" followed by a "Installation failed, Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

Either I got unlucky OR perhaps it is not possible to DFU from Sequoia yet?

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
Two bugs related to the window snap feature.

Dragging a window to a corner I get jerky graphics performance sometimes especially right in the last two inches.

Dragging a cornered tiled window back to middle, sometimes it doesn't remember the original window size and stays as a little window.

Edit: dragging windows around can get jerky and make windows snapping bug out. Scrolling and resizing is as fast as it should be.

Last edited:

shanr

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2024
@fiftofar I am having a similar issue. I was trying to install macOs Sequoia using Parallel VM (through an ipsw file). First it gives:
A software update is required to install macOS in a virtual machine.

Would you like to download and install this update now?

Use of this software is subject to the original Software License Agreement(s) that accompanied the software being updated.

then when I attempt to download it, it says:

Installation failed

Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
I have problem with Messages app. I can't send any iMessage. I tried remove my account, multiple reboots, but it's still not working.
Anyone else here? Some solution?

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
The animation of the Classic Macintosh wallpaper can freeze and stop moving. It needs to be reapplied when that happens.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Caution, I managed to brick my Mac mini M2, after testing it out on its internal drive I was setting up Sequoia exclusively on an external drive and leaving the internal drive blank.

Trying a DFU restore from the following working machines fails: MacBook Pro 2019 and Mac mini 2018 both running 15.0 as well as a MacBook Air M1 running 14.5.

Apple Configurator DFU fails "The System cannot be restored on this device" (15.0 ipsw & 14.5).

Finder immediately pops up "A software update is required to connect to your iOS device" - "Would you like to download and install this update now?" followed by a "Installation failed, Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

It might be that Apple hasn't gotten around to updating the boot code for some of the INTEL models, I get the same result on a 2020 MBP.

The machine can't be made to enter DFU update no matter what you do.

This happens AFTER you run the Sequoia installer and do the independent boot up software updater..

Hopefully Apple will release an update to either the Apple Service Utility or the Apple Configurator for Sequoia and Intel Macs.

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Maybe this is "working as designed", but each Wi-Fi network now gets presented with a different MAC address.

The old "Private Wi-Fi Address" option has changed to "Rotate Wi-Fi Address". With that disabled, the MAC address (hopefully) doesn't change, but it's not the original MAC address any more, it's a newly invented one.

This means that for people like me who split their 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks, and who want IP addresses not to change, this is no longer possible as a different MAC address will be sent to those networks, faking two different laptops. This "feature" can't be disabled.

I've logged a Feedback, so let's see if it's something which will be disable-able in later betas.

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023

I’d suggest plucking some drivers from the latest Xcode beta to see if the restore works:

Banglazed said:
You will need to install either Xcode beta or MobileDevice.pkg which can be extracted from the Xcode beta (tap with two finger or right click to Show Package Content>Contents>Resources>Packages>MobileDevice.pkg - this will work on older Macs that do not support the latest macOS or Xcode beta)

fiftofar

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Australia
I’d suggest plucking some drivers from the latest Xcode beta to see if the restore works:
All “source” systems running Sonoma or Sequoia.
I already tried installing the package from the latest Xcode beta, on each system after failing, made no difference.

I appreciate the post though thanks, might help someone else.

• Wow
Reactions: HuNay

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
All “source” systems running Sonoma or Sequoia.
I already tried installing the package from the latest Xcode beta, on each system after failing, made no difference.

I appreciate the post though thanks, might help someone else.
Sounds frustrating, sorry about that. Hope you get to sort this out soon 🙏

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Hi everybody, was wondering if someone could test this for me?

Wondering if anyone is able to select a folder in the Photos App to cycle thru their Desktop Wallpaper, either with or without the Random Option enabled.

brianld

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Seattle
Not sure if it's just me, but I've noticed my network upload/download speeds cap out at about 300Mbps up/down now. I have a 5Gbps symmetrical fiber connection, and a 2.5Gbps USB-C ethernet dongle, so prior to updating to Sequoia I'd consistently get over 2Gbps up/down. Verified it's not the dongle or ethernet, as another Mac I have gets the 2Gbps up/down with it. Have submitted a feedback for it in the event anyone else observes and wants to reference: FB13884350.

Edit: Tested this further. Appears to be specific to the Lenovo USB-C to 2.5G Ethernet Adapter that I am using. Disabling this device and using Wi-Fi only yields expected speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard2k

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
My Mac Mini 2020 has unexpectedly rebooted multiple times this morning, but ran absolutely fine since upgrading to the Beta on Tuesday. I noticed that the Screensaver was stuttering, so I've changed to the beta version (from aerial) and it's been OK since, but causation/correlation uncertain! I was also getting out of memory/force quit messages, so I've closed anything not actually being used. May just be that I've only got 8GB RAM and someone else has said MacOS seems pretty bad at managing it...

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
My Mac Mini 2020 has unexpectedly rebooted multiple times this morning, but ran absolutely fine since upgrading to the Beta on Tuesday. I noticed that the Screensaver was stuttering, so I've changed to the beta version (from aerial) and it's been OK since, but causation/correlation uncertain! I was also getting out of memory/force quit messages, so I've closed anything not actually being used. May just be that I've only got 8GB RAM and someone else has said MacOS seems pretty bad at managing it...
It got much worse than this. Rebooted every few minutes with no warning.

It took me a while to find (because of the reboots), but there was a file which just kept growing - in (user)/Library/Metadata/Corespotlight/NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication/index.spotlightV4. It had got to over 45GB and using CleanMyMac I could see it going up at a rate of about 1GB every 5 seconds.

I stopped Spotlight (moved everything into 'do not index') but this had no effect. Reinstalled the beta which had no effect either. So, as the file was in a User folder I decided to delete it - which took several attempts as the machine kept rebooting because it was out of disk space. I also deleted Xcode which I'd installed yesterday to get my iPod Pros registered for betas.

Everything is now back to normal, and Spotlight is working again with the arial screensavers as well.

So although I don't know what caused the issue (and yes, I allowed my Mac to send crash reports almost every time it wanted), it works again now.

Reactions: noblesoul117

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
Apple read (I know, I'm still shocked) my Feedback on this and closed it with: "Investigation complete - works as currently designed".

The word "currently" in there gives me hope, but not much.
AFAIK Private Address has been replaced across the board with Rotating Address which was always the design concept but was not properly implemented with private addresses originally

Edit: sorry you already covered that.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Yep - my issue is that it generates a different MAC address per network with no way to stop that.

I'm trying to think of what issues that will cause, apart from for those of us who have different SSIDs for the same network (5GHz and 2.4GHz) and I can't think of any, so I suspect this is how it'll remain.

If this ever causes me problems I'll merge the two again.

I'd only split them as I have a device that seems to like connecting to the 2.4GHz network even though it's right next to the router and it's fully capable of connecting to the faster 5GHz one.

Reactions: gank41

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Strange issue: I can't login to PayPal with Safari. Works fine in any other browser, and this wasn't the case before the beta
it's fine here. try going to safari>Settings>Privacy>clear website data. find the paypal sites, remove everything. then go back to paypal and try again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.