Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Here's how I see iPhone mirroring working for me (in its current state):
  • Access to apps I only have installed on my phone. An example of this is my bank's mobile app – this saves me needing to log into the bank's site via the browser and go through the sign in/validation process
  • Using an app or service I only want on my phone, like social media. This means I can block stuff like Instagram on my laptop to help me focus on work
  • Testing apps or websites I'm working on directly on the device instead of using the simulator
I haven't thought of other uses yet, but as I use mirroring more I'm sure I'll find more uses for it.

Reactions: mgscheue

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
I'm wondering whether you can answer- & talk on the phone when it's in mirror mode. iPhone mic seems to be inop when mirrored to Mac, at least for my guitar tuner app. Otherwise I agree with @fisherking, it's fun, other killer use cases yet to be discovered.
You should be able to answer calls to your mac, if that option is turned on your phone. I use this all the time.

Reactions: rehkram

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Additional keyboard shortcuts:

⌘ W closes windows in various apps. For example:

Safari: close tab or window
Mail: close compose window

⌘ N opens new windows in various apps. For example:

Safari: open new tab
Mail: open compose window
Calendar: create new event
Reminders: create new reminder

etc.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
definitely want to hear more thoughts about how this can be useful.

i ran an ios app on my mac (directly) last year; very useful. but managing my iphone sized as a iphone on the mac seems novelty (i do get some of the ideas mentioned in this thread). anyway, curious to see what others think.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
Another use for iPhone Mirroring:

Finally can check my iPhone battery level from Mac all because Apple's Battery widget is half-useless. If third-party app AirBattery can display ALL batteries then so should Apple's. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Spence8742

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Has anyone run into their mouse and keyboard not interacting with the screen mirroring using a Logi MX Keyboard/Mouse? I am using a iPhone 15 Pro Max and Mac Studio M2 and it wont do anything. However if I try and use it with an apple keyboard/mouse or laptop with trackpad it works fine.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Another use for iPhone Mirroring:

Finally can check my iPhone battery level from Mac all because Apple's Battery widget is half-useless. If third-party app AirBattery can display ALL batteries then so should Apple's. 🤦🏻‍♂️
there's a battery indictator upper-right of your phone. & battery details in the settings app. not sure why your iphone on your mac screen matters here... 🤔

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
there's a battery indictator upper-right of your phone. & battery details in the settings app. not sure why your iphone on your mac screen matters here... 🤔

My iPhone is often in another room or out of reach while working on my Mac. There have been plenty of times where I wanted to take a quick glance at iPhone's battery level. iPhone Mirroring makes it easy.

Also, tell me how this makes any sense:

Battery widget on Mac displays Mac battery but does not display iPhone battery.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
My iPhone is often in another room or out of reach while working on my Mac. There have been plenty of times where I wanted to take a quick glance at iPhone's battery level. iPhone Mirroring makes it easy.

Also, tell me how this makes any sense:

Battery widget on Mac displays Mac battery but does not display iPhone battery.
i get your first point. but not sure why the mac would display the iphone battery; after all, some people use ipads, or android devices, or apple watches. or no other devices. the mac OS battery info is designed for the mac.

still, there are 3rd-party battery apps that can display multiple devices (ie in the menubar). meanwhile, good that you have this functionality noq.

for me, my iphone is never not right next to me, so i have no need for this.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Can't figure out if there's a way to silence or turn off notifications pushing from the phone, yet. Has anyone figured out if it's possible to turn them off?

Reactions: Maclver

meeebee

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2016
I can think of several use cases.

Back in the Palm Pilot days, this was one of my often used apps, since typing on the Palm wasn’t as great as a full keyboard. Even on the iphone, it is not as good as the keyboard on the Macbook. So any app that requires entering more than a few words *and* is not available on the web or synced to the Mac is a great candidate for this feature. I have steered away from those standalone apps, partially b/c of the typing issue, but with this feature it opens them back up again for me.

Even apps that do sync or have web equivalent, I prefer some on the iphone either b/c of UI or price. One example is Things. Rather than buy a separate license for iphone, ipad, and Macos, one license may solve that need. Same with other apps like Paprika and

Also I used to use llamagraphics task app, which had no equivalent on Mac.

Another frequently used app is my corporate apps which require me to accept a trust app which locks down my device and requires a long password. I don’t want to use that type of app on my Mac, but it’s okay for my iphone. With mirroring, I can then use teams, outlook, sharepoint, etc. without having to “compromise” by Mac.

These are just a few use cases that will positively change my way of working.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I can think of several use cases.

Back in the Palm Pilot days, this was one of my often used apps, since typing on the Palm wasn’t as great as a full keyboard. Even on the iphone, it is not as good as the keyboard on the Macbook. So any app that requires entering more than a few words *and* is not available on the web or synced to the Mac is a great candidate for this feature. I have steered away from those standalone apps, partially b/c of the typing issue, but with this feature it opens them back up again for me.

Even apps that do sync or have web equivalent, I prefer some on the iphone either b/c of UI or price. One example is Things. Rather than buy a separate license for iphone, ipad, and Macos, one license may solve that need. Same with other apps like Paprika and

Also I used to use llamagraphics task app, which had no equivalent on Mac.

Another frequently used app is my corporate apps which require me to accept a trust app which locks down my device and requires a long password. I don’t want to use that type of app on my Mac, but it’s okay for my iphone. With mirroring, I can then use teams, outlook, sharepoint, etc. without having to “compromise” by Mac.

These are just a few use cases that will positively change my way of working.
sounds reasonable 👍

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
My iPhone is often in another room or out of reach
My experience is that the iPhone and the Mac must be fairly close to each other. I am not certain of the actual distance, whether Bluetooth is being used or WiFi. I have really good WiFi coverage in my house and connecting to the iPhone sometimes does not work unless the devices are in close proximity. I have not fully tested the range, just a couple of experiences of not being able to connect when the devices are separated.

Reactions: vrj9

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
For anyone who was wondering, you can turn off iPhone Mirroriing notifications on a per-app basis on the phone itself. There's a new option in each app's notification settings to disable it.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2022
Is there any way it can be turned off?
If you go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Continuity > iPhone Mirroring you can remove access to any iPhones linked to your Apple ID. I'm not sure how to add them back though.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2022
I see no need for iPhone mirroring in my environment. It appears to be a gimmick at this point. Perhaps there is some relevance with Apple Vision and this is a starting point.

Minimizing an app to get back to the Home Screen is not intuitive. A person must click on the bar at the bottom of the phone, no swiping.

The biggest issue seems to be the use of Face ID to unlock an app. It does not work on three different apps I have tried. Perhaps this will be resolved in future releases and allow the use of the camera on the Mac.
⌘1 to return to home screen. ⌘2 to open app switcher.

Nanis

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Any idea on how to use the scroll or side wheels of a Logitech mouse (or any other mouse) to navigate up-down or left-right within the iPhone mirroring app? They currently don’t seem to work.

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
I have been playing with it for the past few days and have liked it...

But today I needed it as I was upstairs and my phone was down stairs in the bedroom being charged.

Trying using the Mirror iPhone app and it couldnt connect to my phone as I was out of range of Bluetooth for it.

I thought it used Wifi... (both are connected to the same wifi network)

Having it within the proximity of Bluetooth limits its use, and honestly if I am within the area of bluetooth for my phone then its just easier to pick up the phone and use it.

Very disapointed now.

Reactions: vrj9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.