Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
This is a very curious post. Why compare it to a 13? Is this choice the most recent version that shows a marked improvement with the new phone. Reads like MR are trying to help boost potential sales of the 16.
There have already been articles comparing it to the 14 and I believe the 15, so this is 13 and maybe there will be one for the 12 too…

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
by the list of these features it certainly looks that my 13PM is a keeper for at least another year ...
Yeah, love it tbh! When I switched to iPhone and got the 14PM I expected to want to upgrade every year but I’m now genuinely looking forward to using it for another year. Never had that with Android! Was always sick of the models I got back then after just 6-12 months. The iPhones are just great devices not even Apple can improve much on.

Last year I got a Watch with my tech budget instead of upgrading. If they release a new TV this year I’ll get that.

TravelsInBlue

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2020
Not a big fan of the action button or needing to change out all my cables for USB-C, but this is the upgrade I’m planning to make in September 🤷🏽‍♂️

deathcab

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
This is a very curious post. Why compare it to a 13? Is this choice the most recent version that shows a marked improvement with the new phone. Reads like MR are trying to help boost potential sales of the 16.
I think there are a lot of folks (myself included) who are still running the 13 Pro waiting on something compelling enough to make us upgrade.

So far, it looks like most of us are going to be waiting for another year (or longer).

Nekronos

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2024
Yeah, love it tbh! When I switched to iPhone and got the 14PM I expected to want to upgrade every year but I’m now genuinely looking forward to using it for another year. Never had that with Android! Was always sick of the models I got back then after just 6-12 months. The iPhones are just great devices not even Apple can improve much on.

Last year I got a Watch with my tech budget instead of upgrading. If they release a new TV this year I’ll get that.
I think you've been sucked into Apple's marketing. Flagship android devices are extremely good, better than iphones in some respects. I still use a galaxy s9+ as a secondary device on it's original battery - the funny thing is the screen on the s9+ is better than my iPhone 13 I've been using for the past year and the camera on the s9+ is just as good.

I used the two android smartphones I had for about 5 years each, Apple heavily markets to create FOMO and push their upgrade cycle more heavily than anyone else.

Also, features wise androids have consistently been years ahead of iPhone - this year's WWDC included a slew of changes that have been on android for over a decade. There's plenty Apple can improve on.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The connectivity section is very enticing.

When it's laid out side by side like this (kudos again for the improved tables), I actually really do want to upgrade.

And this 13 Pro will finally get my last holdout on Android to switch.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
I only upgraded from the 13 pro to the 15 pro since the total cost for me between Apple's trade in and my carrier's discounts were less than $100. That will likely be the same reason I upgrade again since the 15 Pro is so good.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Not a big fan of the action button or needing to change out all my cables for USB-C, but this is the upgrade I’m planning to make in September 🤷🏽‍♂️
Adapters can keep your cables going until they wear out. If I could have recycled all my old cables I could make some good $$ for the copper. ;)

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
Love my 13 Pro, and it's way more solid than the 15 Pro. I haven't had any work done on it, while the back glass on my wife's 15 Pro has shattered twice, even though we have the same (version of an) Otterbox (solid, non-MagSafe compatible) case on both phones. I'm also (relatively) way tougher on phones than she is.

• Sad

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
What are “surgical-grade” and “aerospace-grade”? Did any independent 3rd party verify the claim?
Aluminum and titanium (and stainless steel and other metals/alloys/anodized metals) typically come in series numbers that describe the metal composition. Similar numbers have similar composition. The iPhone uses 7000 series aluminum (so an aluminum alloy with a number in the 7000s, for instance 7005 or 7075). Alloys of the same series have similar properties and are suitable for similar uses. 7000 series aluminum is commonly used in aircraft structural parts, hence “aerospace-grade”. Presumably, the titanium used by the iPhone 15 Pro shares a series with one commonly used for surgical applications.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was a big Lightning fan, but it's let me down time and time again! My 13 Pro stopped charging by Lightning after 6 months. So glad for Qi charging, and glad for the eventual switch to USB-C, which hasn't let me down on any devices yet.

Other than that, my 13 Pro continues to function like a brand-new device performance-wise. I'll probably upgrade to the 16, if the money shows up. I won't lock myself into another 2-year contract, though. The bills are wayyy too high. Even though I own my 13 Pro now, I can't find a plan from my current provider cheaper than $70/month. Crazy world we live in!

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
I was a big Lightning fan, but it's let me down time and time again! My 13 Pro stopped charging by Lightning after 6 months. So glad for Qi charging, and glad for the eventual switch to USB-C, which hasn't let me down on any devices yet.

Other than that, my 13 Pro continues to function like a brand-new device performance-wise. I'll probably upgrade to the 16, if the money shows up. I won't lock myself into another 2-year contract, though. The bills are wayyy too high. Even though I own my 13 Pro now, I can't find a plan from my current provider cheaper than $70/month. Crazy world we live in!

You need to get off the post-paid train. Pre-paid here and my monthly bill is $17.50, if I pay a year at a time. Wife is on a year free promo with Spectrum wireless, and she'll move to the same plan once it's over.

We pay cash for our phones and don't bother with contracts and financing. Take the money saved every month and save it; you'll have the cost of a new iPhon before long.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Samsung phones have very noticeable improvements generation after generation but iPhones mostly get camera upgrades and mm screen size increases.

The current iPhone Pro and new one are almost identical to the iPhone X that came out almost seven years ago.

That's an exaggeration, and you know it. Just because they *look* the same on the outside doesn't mean that they haven't evolved significantly on the inside, both in hardware and software.

Apple follows an "evolutionary" design path that works very well for their customers. Each year brings new enhancements that build on the previous year. If they made drastic changes from one year to the next, it would make great headlines, but wouldn't be good for large portions of their userbase. Think elderly, in particular. Imagine grandpa slamming his new iPhone 16 down on the table because it's so different from his last one, for change's sake.

iPhone 16 and iOS 18 are bringing big enhancements in the form of Apple Intelligence. The upgraded hardware plays a key role in that performing really well, and you won't want to miss it. But waiting a year is still safe, as not all features are rolling out all at once. A year from now, Siri will be completely reborn.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I don’t get it… I know the upgrade cycles are longer, but….

Really, compare it to a three years old phone???? Is the update list that short to compare it with the iPhone 15?

Why not compare it to a flagship Android… oh wait… it falls short on every aspect 😅😅

Smittywerben

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2024
I don’t get it… I know the upgrade cycles are longer, but….

Really, compare it to a three years old phone???? Is the update list that short to compare it with the iPhone 15?

Why not compare it to a flagship Android… oh wait… it falls short on every aspect 😅😅
Other than 48MP Ultrawide camera and capture button + minimal size difference (which could be a pro or con depending on the person) there is really nothing new in 16, not even more RAM or bigger main sensor for 16 Pro.
They are holding everything for 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.