Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
25 Macbook Pros M1/M3 Max scratches in screen straight from Apple BTO.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Failed hard drive on original MacBook Air (could barely tell, it was so slow anyways…) after five days.

Not bad for over twenty years and countless (due to my not paying attention not my infinite wealth…) Apple devices.

Oh, also spilled a pint majestically into my 17” MacBook Pro. It turned itself off… and a few days later I revived it. Smelled of beer whenever it heated up, otherwise no problem until death of old age…

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

jganthony

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2021
New York
From your first apple device which is bought years ago to existing one today, how many Apple devices did you return or replaced because of a flaw or functional problem (like backlight bleeding, keyboard issue, battery drain etc)

Apple always became the name of quality for me but a customer has to be lucky too. I have suffered because of bad luck many times.
I got my first Mac in 1996, the Macintosh Performa 6205CD. Since then, a Performa 6500/275, Power Mac G4/450, and several iMacs up to my current Intel i9 iMac. I have purchased many laptops, watches, iPhones, iPads, iPods, AirPods & accessories........ I have never in all these years had any reason to return anything purchased from Apple. I hope the streak continues!!

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I’m going all the way back to 1984 Here. Only one. iPhone 5S. Brand new, few days later screen had a purple blob on the screen. Store replaced it when i brought it in. I can’t think of any other device I’ve returned or replace due to manufacturer hardware defect. Correction my TAM it was buzzing. Apple sent me a return box specially designed for it. Then Apple shipped me a brand spanking new one instead. No buzz sound at all. I retired it and boxed it away. I have double accessories that came with it.

Last edited:

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
I had to return a Cinema Display that was bad out of the box. I returned it, they sent another one that worked, and then it showed up in the refurb store. This was 20 years ago.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Never returned any of my many Apple devices. Have had several repaired: 2016 15" MBP battery swelled and was replaced, iPhone 5 had a speck of dust inside the camera lens so I had Apple fix it under AppleCare, 2014 27" iMac hard drive failed and got it repaired by a 3rd party AASP. Still need to get our 2020 iMac fixed, it randomly restarts especially when working hard. Suspect it's a power supply issue from what I've heard of others with similar issues. AC+ active for a few more months so I've got time, and it's been replaced with a Studio + Studio Display anyway so not dependent on it for daily use.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I had to get warranty service for my first gen iPad a few months after release because the speaker stopped working properly. Oh, and I’ve had the AirPods Max condensation issue kill off a few pairs of AirPods Max during the warranty period (and once outside of the warranty period, necessitating a new purchase). That said, I think I’ve finally solved that issue by only using the AirPods Max indoors and using a pair of 2nd gen AirPods Pro outdoors instead. Of course, I cringe whenever I see people using the Maxes outdoors or on the subway, especially during summer, because it’s only a matter of time until the condensation issue hits them.

Other than that, though, I’ve had to had a few extended warranty product repairs, mostly bulging batteries but also case repairs back in the day of the white polycarbonate MacBooks. Those things looked great, but, boy did the plastic discolor and chip!

Edit: I’ve never returned anything, though (Apple or otherwise). I’ve never really experienced buyer’s remorse over anything, with the possible exception of a few pieces of furniture that ended up being less comfortable and useful than they looked or a couple of items related to hobbies I was exploring that I ended up not sticking with. Maybe it’s because I tend to do research when buying anything big ticket and wait until I can pay out of pocket? (Which means that I’ve already darn well made up my mind to buy the item before I press the buy button online.)

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iPhone 4, 2011, lock button failed.

iPhone 5, 2013, earpiece speaker stopped working.

That's pretty much it. I've had a very reliable experience with Apple products, to the point where I don't buy AppleCare anymore because I'd end up spending more money on AC than I would on just regular repairs.

I think both of the above failures even happened within the 1 year warranty period so I wouldn't have needed AppleCare for them either.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
While I haven't had anything replaced, my wife has replaced silicone cases in the past when they began to peel. Although you may not consider cases as devices.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Since my first Apple devices in 1999-ish, I've only returned original iPad. Should have also returned the iPad 4 - it just collected dust and was dumped a year later.

I may have returned a cable or accessory at some point - dont remember.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I have had a total of 3 devices replaced. 2 were my fault and luckily had AppleCare+. The one that was not my fault was my iPhone 3G replacement. The phone turned itself off and would not restart. o2 were great at the time and replaced my 8gb for a 16gb model!.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Straight from the factory issues? Only 1 - my launch day preordered green 11 Plus had a scratch and chuck out of the screen underneath the plastic from the factory.

Was a real piss off because I’d gotten up early and pre-ordered and gotten a launch day delivery, and didn’t get the replacement device until October because of backlog.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I've had pretty good luck with Macs. I did go through several 2015 13 Inch Retina MPB for backlight bleeding. It was bad. Except that one instance I haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I myself have had:

iBook G4
Mac Mini
13 inch MBP
13 inch Retina MBP
14 inch M1 MBP
iPhone 4S, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro.

Various displays and accessories.

That's not counting all the other stuff my dad owned. We never had to return a single one.
The ibook G4 was such an epic machine. When that thing got a 1GHZ G4 processor I told the heavens it was the last machine id ever need

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
I bought the original Mac 128 in 1984. I couldn’t even begin to remember all the Apple products I’ve bought since either for myself, or for work or for my family or as gifts but it probably numbers in at least 35 Mac’s, 20 iPads, 10 Apple tv’s, 6 home pods, 8 HomePod mini, 10 iPods, 18 iPhones, 5 iMacs, 10 Apple Watches, 10 AirPods and one Apple Vision Pro.

Number of failures? 1 HomePod.

Guess I’m lucky.
I also got the Mac 128k then the 512, Mac+, also 2 other Forgot the names, then 3 more including a 2010 laptop an iMac, 2017 MP Pro and an M1 Air. 7 iPhones 2 Apple Watches. oh yea 2 Apple printers an ImageWriter and the original laser writer. All worked great. One repair on the keyboard of the 2017 MB pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.