Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gezellig

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
- MacBook Pro 15 inch 2016 (faulty screen + faulty keyboard)
- iMac 27 inch 2016 (not powering up)
- iMac Pro 2017 (dented screen)
- iPad 7 2020 (boot loop at start up)
- iPad Air 13 inch 2024 (TouchID button wobbly + excessive battery drain in idle mode)

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
None.
I trust Apple completely.
Biggest problem I ever had was with 1st gen AirPods Pro that discharged in case and sometimes would not connect when put in ears.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
None, and I've owned 10 Macs from an SE/30 through my current M2 Pro Mac Mini and several iPhones. I've never had to return or replace any, though I have added aftermarket RAM and upgraded storage to almost every Mac I could, and upgraded the processor of a Power Mac 6500 by adding a Sonnet G3 PCIE card.

I did need to get a new battery in a refurb 2015 MBP after it started swelling a couple years ago, and likewise I got a new iPhone battery under Apple's replacement program in 2018. But none of those devices were returned or replaced because of a problem. I've been completely happy with the quality of the Apple products I've bought over the years.

Reactions: G5isAlive

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I believe I have returned only one Apple product. That was the iPhone 4 (due to “Antennagate”). I don’t need to get into it issue again, lol, but it was a significant problem for me and Apple’s response to it was kind of annoying. So in my annoyance I just returned it to the AT&T Store (or wherever I bought it from) and got my one (and only) Android phone instead. 😂

Incidentally, I was not happy at all with my experience on Android, so I came crawling back to Apple not too long after, hahahaha.

Oh, as I was typing I remembered a second return:

The Apple TV 4K (second gen, 2021 version). I think I just simply got a bad unit (it happens), so I returned it with the intention of buying a new one.

It shouldn’t have been a huge deal except that the delivery company ended up losing the return package. It became such a hassle to get my money back. Eventually I did get my money back many weeks later (after the delivery company finally “found it”), but afterwards I didn’t feel like buying it again. So I never did.

So two returns over the course of 15 or so years of many Apple products. That’s pretty good. And one of those was mostly because of a bad return delivery experience.

Reactions: MBAir2010

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I have had probably over a hundred Apple devices, including iPods and phones, since my SE/30 in 1992.

Of all these, I can only remember two. I had an AppleVision 17” monitor that had some kind of issue, I cannot recall what, probably around 1997. In 2018 I sent two iPad Pros back due to the bending issue.

I have also had two touchbar MacBook keyboards replaced under the extended warranty, but this was after many years of use.

Edit: Counted to 24 specific Macs that I can remember, but I am sure there were more. I recently booted up a 9600 that had been sitting in storage, everything worked fine, and I am using the keyboard from that computer to this day.
This post brought back so many memories and feelings. One of them is “envy” at the 9600. I had a lowly 6100 and always wished I could have gotten the big boy.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Over the years, I've had a LOT of Apple Products, including an Apple IIGS, Imagewriter II, PowerBook 145B, Performa 630CD, PowerBook G3 (Wall Street), iBook G3, multiple iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, a Mac Mini, and accessories such as AirPods Pro, Homepod, etc. Out of all those items, the only one I ever had to repair/replace due to a manufacturing flaw was a 2012 MacBook Pro.

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
From your first apple device which is bought years ago to existing one today, how many Apple devices did you return or replaced because of a flaw or functional problem (like backlight bleeding, keyboard issue, battery drain etc)

Apple always became the name of quality for me but a customer has to be lucky too. I have suffered because of bad luck many times.
None, since my first purchase, a Mac LC. All together probably about 50-60 devices if you include keyboards and mice, etc.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I think of all of the things I've bought, only my PRODUCT(RED) iPod touch 6th gen, because of a dead pixel I saw less than a week after getting it. They technically had me return it and repurchase it, but it was essentially a replacement. My dad had a dead on arrival refurb iPod nano 1st gen way back that wouldn't charge, but it was quickly replaced by Apple.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
The only failure unit I had from apple is the iMac g5 that had that capacitor issue and there was a service programme for it too and it was fixed for free.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I’ve been using Apple products since 1985 with the fat Mac (512 kb RAM). I’ve owned dozens of Macs through the years. The original iPod and several more after that. I bought the original iPhone and the original iPad with many more after that.

With all that I’ve only had to return one Apple product: the original Intel 15” MacBook Pro (2006). It was DOA and couldn’t be revived. I’ve been remarkably lucky I think. I did use AppleCare once but it was when I dropped my PowerBook and it needed a case repair.

Edit: I forgot about the first gen AirPod Pros that had both earbuds replaced under the extended repair program when they started crackling when I moved my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

ricketysquire

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
My first 2008 MacBook Pro (pre-unibody) had a weird graphics issue (might have been due to the Nvidia issues at the time. I had bought it the week before it started. Since it was under warranty, I took it to the Apple Store, but rather than repair it they just swapped it out for a new one. I don't know if that counts.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
My iPhone 6 Plus needed replacement at least twice during the year I owned it. My 8 plus had a weird activation issue and they exchanged it. I don’t think it was a hardware problem. Nothing other than that I can remember. And I’ve bought a lot!

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
Not one :apple: product since 1992 !
The only one was getting defective after a stunning Hardcore abuse of 10 Years
was the MBP Late 2008.
RIP :cool:

P.S.: But i missed the imo not attractive MBP Line from 2016 on and have had Hackintosh until the MBA M2 in 2022 so...and have the iPhone 11 till Today and had not one iPhone before.

AshesXY

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
Just once (an iPhone that kept restarting) in 30+ years. I have owned almost every Apple product in the last two decades

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
In many years of purchasing and owning Apple products, I can only recall returning one AirPods Pro because of the crackly sound issue that they were having at one time. I took them to the Apple store and they exchanged them on the spot, a few years ago.

Multiple computers (iMac and now Studio), iPhones, and other Apple products and no issues whatsoever with any of them.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
I’ve bought loads of Apple stuff over the years. Only problem was with a keyboard that was banana shaped. It was replaced, but the replacement was not much better. Ended up bending it back into shape and adding deeper silicone feet to stop it rocking.

Oh that reminds me of the mouse I had which got returned.

1920px-Apple_Mighty_Mouse_Wireless_in_perspective.jpg

The original Mighty Mouse. Worst mouse ever. Hilariously my ex wife was using my iMac, picked it up to clean the ball in it after it stopped working for the 5th time that week and dropped it on a wooden floor. After that it was dead. I'd had it about 2 weeks. Took it back to the Apple Store and told them it stopped working and they just gave me a new one, which I sold on ebay and bought a different one :D.

I know when I am defeated!

Reactions: Slix and MBAir2010

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I returned an M2 MacBook Air that arrived with a faulty display cable. They upgraded me to a higher spec model because they didn’t have any spares of my config in stock.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
- 2019 iMac – awful screen (panel replaced under AppleCare for an even worse one)
- 2020 iMac – dead pixels, buggy GPU, constantly overheating; I lived with it for a while but traded it in after only a year and a half or so
- One set of AirPods Pro with hardware failure (aka rattlegate) (replaced under AppleCare)

I’ve owned Macs since the iMac DV SE. Those last few iMacs were truly awful quality-wise. Have not had any major issues before them or after them.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
iMac G4, PSU failure after 10 years

Late 2012 27” iMac. PSU failure after 11 years. (The 3TB HDD was also due to be replaced-SMART warning)

Both were overdue for a replacement but the hardware failures are what eventually forced me to update.

As a side note, I pieced out the dead machines, and I’m fairly certain I got more money for the pieces than I would have gotten for a working 10 year old machine

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Since 1997, ONE out of probably 25-40 devices iPhones, iMacs, PowerMacs, MBPs, watches, airports, ipods, iPads, etc. new and refurbed.).

My iPhone 6 Plus came pre-bent in the original box. Bend-gate was real. That was a flimsy phone. I never bent its replacement and used it in a case.

However, the first iPad Pro 2017 smart keyboard was a piece of garbage of terrible design. Failed at 14 months due to corrosion of the unplated/bare copper fabric across the hinges. I still use it as a stand. They all failed within two years and there was never a recall.

Last edited:

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
None since iPod video in 2005 or so? I’ve had almost every iPhone. Never once had to return one. Several Macs, iPads, AirPods, all the things

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.