Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
  • Galaxy Z Flip 6: Blue, Crafted Black, Mint, Peach, Silver Shadow, Yellow, and White.
  • Galaxy Z Fold 6: Crafted Black, Navy, Pink, Silver Shadow, and White

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Rumor has it that the fold 6 will be going up in price, despite the modest hardware upgrades this year.

I think Samsung is actively discouraging people from buying folds at this point.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain

No changes at all. I´m feel a little bit disappointed. I hope that at least the new design includes a crease that is less visible to the eye.

I wanted to trade the Pixel 8 Pro for a foldable, I'm reserving my hopes for the Pixel 9 Pro Fold, which I hope will officially arrive in Europe.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

No changes at all. I´m feel a little bit disappointed. I hope that at least the new design includes a crease that is less visible to the eye.
No changes at all? That’s not necessarily true… it’s not any meaningful changes that Fold users has been asking for such a significant wider cover display, silo for S-Pen, improved cameras and bigger battery.

At this point, they gave us a slightly wider display and that’s about it.

IMG_7155.jpeg

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
prototype

i wish crease news were also as prominent

Attachments

• galaxy_z_fold_6_dummy.jpg
    galaxy_z_fold_6_dummy.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 29

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
i wish crease news were also as prominent
I think IceUniverse from twitter mention news regarding the crease, stated improvements in that area.

But we won't get any concrete knowledge until it's official, at this point... all we are getting is hardware information. Heck, I'm more interested in OneUI 7... depending on what Samsung locks behind Fold 6, if the features are worth it then I'd pick one up.

But I'm leaning toward bypassing the Fold 6 in favor of the Galaxy Watch 7.

z15gertm1k6d1.jpeg

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I think IceUniverse from twitter mention news regarding the crease, stated improvements in that area.

But we won't get any concrete knowledge until it's official, at this point... all we are getting is hardware information. Heck, I'm more interested in OneUI 7... depending on what Samsung locks behind Fold 6, if the features are worth it then I'd pick one up.

But I'm leaning toward bypassing the Fold 6 in favor of the Galaxy Watch 7.

View attachment 2389157

i cannot believe i waited for a year after almost buying the existing generation

if crease disappoints again will i make it to the following year?

this time it should be my year

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I sincerely hope Samsung does make an Ultra-like or Pro-like top tier Z Fold. Maybe even early 2025 they'll surprise is with a huge performance boost with SnapDragon 8 Gen 4 to compete with the upcoming Oppo Find N4 / OnePlus Open 2.
I don’t know, I rather Samsung make the best Z Fold… no need to try and differentiate the lineup, it’s already expensive as is.

i know there was chatter that they would remove S-Pen support to bring down the cost, but folks buy the S24U and don‘t bother to use the S-Pen.

i cannot believe i waited for a year after almost buying the existing generation

if crease disappoints again will i make it to the following year?

this time it should be my year
I think this year is perfect for you to join the club, perhaps this modest upgrade… simply means Samsung placed most of their efforts toward addressing the crease.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I don’t know, I rather Samsung make the best Z Fold… no need to try and differentiate the lineup, it’s already expensive as is.

i know there was chatter that they would remove S-Pen support to bring down the cost, but folks buy the S24U and don‘t bother to use the S-Pen.

I think this year is perfect for you to join the club, perhaps this modest upgrade… simple means Samsung placed most of their efforts toward addressing the crease.

I like what you are saying
Brings some comfort to the pending decision.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm only referring to my experiences... fully aware there are more to it when it comes to owning a Galaxy device. But the features I mentioned are what keeps me attached to the Galaxy Fold.

Tbh, I could switch to any flagship device and be fairly okay with it. Whether that's an iPhone or Pixel device... I don't fall into that trap where "I can't use x because of y." My preferences are to the Galaxy Fold and obviously I don't wish to use a non-foldable phone, but I won't be annoyed if I had to switch lol.

But I think that has more to do with the chip and the algorithm that was used to improve the quality of the pictures and video even though they had the EXACT SAME SPEC.

What we are asking for is (or maybe just me)... don't shortchange us. Yeah, they made some design changes to the hardware... so, it's not as if they didn't do anything to the Fold 6. But the cost Samsung is charging for the Fold 6 should have been more than a slight design change.

With the S23U vs S24U... yeah, Samsung didn't really change much. But there's really not much room for improvement with candy-bar phones. However, with foldables.... there's plenty of room to improve especially when they have competition in the US.

Well stated.

Many long time users have been vocal and critical of Samsung of late. They've been used to more significant innovations in terms of radical designs, and internal performance bumps that are more tangible (applications/visual), and its not a bad thing - you're not fanboys lol.

I'm new to Samsung yet not new to smartphones by any measure and coming from over a decade of using iOS devices I have a different view of Samsung.

In particular you mentioned 'don't shortchange us ... they made some design changes ... the cost Samsung is charging for the Fold 6 should've been more than a slight design change' (paraphrasing).

In comparison, and bare with me here, look at Porsche. In particular the 911. For over 60 yrs this particular model, a brand within itself, has been established as a true classic. Cars by default barely change year after year so in comparison you need to view the 911 per every generation (4-6yrs) and sub-models (GT2/GT3/RS/etc). From generation to generation the 911 has been iterative, and even so (especially during the 80's) barely a visual queue of improvements. However, each change brought significant performance improvements OR improvements that increased the enjoyment of the owner.

911 was known for 2 things prior to the early 90's:
Unpredictable fishtailing under throttle, duly when on corners.
Huge Wale-Tale.

Just before 1993 the 911 had a major change in rear suspension that got rid of its notorious fishtailing or uncontrollable oversteer. Then the Wale-Tail was gone too amongst other more enjoyable improvements that only owners really could know.

I see the Samsung doing the same with the S-series and Z-series models, being iterative with small extrenal queues while more unperceptable changes under the hardware are being made that'll be more enjoyable to end users - that'll only be discovered owning and and using the device over an initial 3 month period. This not only reduces significant manufacturing costs (molds and R&D overspending) but improving time from design to mass production and global shipments. We already know how sublime the software is!

What we don't know is size and thickness and overall performance of the vapour chamber - if used in the Z Fold 6 and how that plays out for sustained heavy performance use and wireless Samsung Dex use for say gaming. Charging speeds is pretty much a given not a major change to the ire of many smartphone techies - yet I wonder if the Note 20 exploding battery fiasco had some major embargo fines and stipulations against Samsung for international flights and shipping that has kept them in the past in terms of charging W and speeds (on a global scale)??

Oppo made HUGE spash (along with sister brand OnePlus) about their Find N3 / OnePlus Open having over a million folds or something like that with their new hinge having imperceptible crease. The forums here exploded with such aplomb and people buying like a frenzy. Yet for months hsa been going COLD as well as Reddit posts of unsatisfactory warranty support and claims being long extended for over a month without hearing anything back.

Great that a hinge has so many folds without issue that'll last you 10yrs at open-closed 20x a day, BUT what about the SCREEN?! Can IT last too or are we to end up playing the Flat Rubix Cube game?! People don't know how to read between the marketing lines! Also the video tour of Oppo's testing facility was great .... BUT all the units shown or ALLOWED to be shown (HUGE difference here), how LONG have those units been tested for at the time of the video?! Were they just put in a few short hours before video began rolling or for 7 months constantly?! Again READING between the lines.

So when 'competition' enters the North American market for the Fold ... I want proper accessible retailers for warranty returns (not using 3rd party garbage), I want retail kiosks and major mall stores and major carrier backing to test FIRST HAND with my own hands NOT a video on YT. I want to FEEL the quality of materials used before I buy! Finally I want iron clad and clear warranty support in writing on their global and regional pages without heavy elongated fine print. That my friends is real competition. And right now in Canada I do not see any on al fronts!

Reactions: RSB96 and Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I see the Samsung doing the same with the S-series and Z-series models, being iterative with small extrenal queues while more unperceptable changes under the hardware are being made that'll be more enjoyable to end users - that'll only be discovered owning and and using the device over an initial 3 month period. This not only reduces significant manufacturing costs (molds and R&D overspending) but improving time from design to mass production and global shipments. We already know how sublime the software is!
Great points! I understand that we are in an iterative update cycle for the smartphone industry... I disagreed up above to the one poster who claimed there were no hardware changes.

I'm only looking at it from the perspective of cost, yes... they have made changes. But from my eyes, those changes look minor and I personally don't believe it warrants an upgrade for me. And I know that it has two displays on a Galaxy Fold, so trade-offs have to be made to make the price reasonable.

And I'm not really concerned with the cover display, because I understand the direction Samsung is going with... the idea behind the cover display is for quick interaction and if I'm idle for a long period... then that's when I'd unfold. So, however minor the design changes.... I'm good with that.

But at least Samsung can improve on the telephoto and the cover display camera. These particular areas where changes could have been made with little cost.

What we don't know is size and thickness and overall performance of the vapour chamber - if used in the Z Fold 6 and how that plays out for sustained heavy performance use and wireless Samsung Dex use for say gaming. Charging speeds is pretty much a given not a major change to the ire of many smartphone techies - yet I wonder if the Note 20 exploding battery fiasco had some major embargo fines and stipulations against Samsung for international flights and shipping that has kept them in the past in terms of charging W and speeds (on a global scale)??
Good point. But Samsung have shipped 4400mAh battery in the past 3 generation (going on 4).

The Pixel Fold started out the gate with a 4821 mAh battery (never seen this in a Galaxy Fold), Samsung has to know the importance of battery life is on a smartphone... they have a 5000 mAh battery in the S24U.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I'm a little disappointed at the rumors of the Fold Ultra being an Asian market exclusive. I currently have the Fold 5, but the idea of an ultra version of the Fold sounded intriguing. Unless I'm missing something, there has yet to be any mention of what will be different about the ultra, when it will release, or if the region specific rumors are true.

Not to mention that Samsung now wants over 1400 quid for the standard edition Fold 6 with minimal changes, I'm inclined to think that I will be sticking with the 5, unless something unexpectedly blows me away during the Unpacked event.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So Z fold 6 gets more than expensive with limited upgrades and just al stuff? Hard sell as it stands

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great points! I understand that we are in an iterative update cycle for the smartphone industry... I disagreed up above to the one poster who claimed there were no hardware changes.

I'm only looking at it from the perspective of cost, yes... they have made changes. But from my eyes, those changes look minor and I personally don't believe it warrants an upgrade for me. And I know that it has two displays on a Galaxy Fold, so trade-offs have to be made to make the price reasonable.

And I'm not really concerned with the cover display, because I understand the direction Samsung is going with... the idea behind the cover display is for quick interaction and if I'm idle for a long period... then that's when I'd unfold. So, however minor the design changes.... I'm good with that.

But at least Samsung can improve on the telephoto and the cover display camera. These particular areas where changes could have been made with little cost.

Good point. But Samsung have shipped 4400mAh battery in the past 3 generation (going on 4).

The Pixel Fold started out the gate with a 4821 mAh battery (never seen this in a Galaxy Fold), Samsung has to know the importance of battery life is on a smartphone... they have a 5000 mAh battery in the S24U.

I definitely see your points on telephoto and cover display camera's as I hadn't realized how abysmal the latter is and the former cannot do macro pics! Shocked I had missed this. With a rise in the cost yes these are necessary iterative upgrades so let's hope the rumors were false and indeed an upgrade is coming or at least a $200 price drop not a $100 price increase. Doing the latter will hurt Samsung with 1st 3 months initial costs.

Battery capacity needs to go up now! If Samsung cannot get this right now, the snapdragon 8 Gen 4 will require this!

Reactions: Ludatyk

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm a little disappointed at the rumors of the Fold Ultra being an Asian market exclusive. I currently have the Fold 5, but the idea of an ultra version of the Fold sounded intriguing. Unless I'm missing something, there has yet to be any mention of what will be different about the ultra, when it will release, or if the region specific rumors are true.

Not to mention that Samsung now wants over 1400 quid for the standard edition Fold 6 with minimal changes, I'm inclined to think that I will be sticking with the 5, unless something unexpectedly blows me away during the Unpacked event.
Likely only the ring & the ugliness of watch ultra, and no classic watch this year will blow you away. Lol. It has fire me.

Neofox

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2024
Likely only the ring & the ugliness of watch ultra, and no classic watch this year will blow you away. Lol. It has fire me.
I may be the only one, but I love the design of the Samsung Watch Ultra. I will definitely buy it on release!!

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
You're more than likely correct. I actually went ahead & ordered the Vivo X Fold 3, which looks light years ahead of the Fold in almost every aspect. So my overall interest in the Fold 6 has officially gone from slim to nil.

I'll still be hanging onto my Fold 5, but I fully expect it to be relegated to desk ornament status once the Vivo arrives.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You're more than likely correct. I actually went ahead & ordered the Vivo X Fold 3, which looks light years ahead of the Fold in almost every aspect. So my overall interest in the Fold 6 has officially gone from slim to nil.

I'll still be hanging onto my Fold 5, but I fully expect it to be relegated to desk ornament status once the Vivo arrives.
Well you like what you like.

Most popular importer in the GTA has the 'Canadian version' (which there really is NONE by the manufacturer, just the most LTE+5G bands supported) is going for $1,649 CAD! So roughly the same retail pricing before tax as the upcoming Z Fold 6.

true you'll be delighted about the hardware spec of the Vivo X Fold 3, but after the sweet 3 month honeymoon phase - unless you're super technical, I have a feeling you 'may' be super frustrated with the overal software quirks and issues related to any official hardware warranty support should the need ever arise down the road.

So you'll be needing to start your own X Fold 3 thread and let us know how you go on day to day and findings. Good luck to you, its nice to have that kind of financial resources to enjoy fruits of labour (or to even got it like that).

Update-Edit:

Just finished watching the YT link - the US pricing is roughly the same of the import pricing I noted above which is VERY surprising. I've hyperlinked the pricing above for relevance.

Very surprised of the camera quality especially the rapidness of switching while video recording - that is HUGE. Also surprised about the removal of all the Vivo and Chinese carrier bloatware apps so you should be good on the software side of things ... but the core ROM will be the main hurdle should anything arise; we shall see.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I like what Samsung is doing with the squared off edges... awaiting to see the trade in deals, if it's good... I'll buy one. And i think @Tulani will like this Fold 6, from those pictures above seems as if Samsung has improved on the crease.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I like what Samsung with the squared off edges... awaiting to see the trade in deals, if it's good... I'll buy one. And i think @Tulani will like this Fold 6, from those pictures above seems as if Samsung has improved on the crease.

Finally some real evidence regarding the crease.
I think I will not have to wait for another year

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I like what Samsung with the squared off edges... awaiting to see the trade in deals, if it's good... I'll buy one. And i think @Tulani will like this Fold 6, from those pictures above seems as if Samsung has improved on the crease.
do you have any recommendation for an App optimised for the Fold for pdf, epub, mobi book reading?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
do you have any recommendation for an App optimised for the Fold for pdf, epub, mobi book reading?
Umm.. I suggest giving eBoox, ReadEra or Moon Reader a try, can’t go wrong with either one.

But Moon Reader is better optimized for the Fold… I was able to go from a single page layout on the cover display, then unfold to a double page layout. Neither eBoox or ReadEra has that option… only get double page layout if you rotate to landscape.

Reactions: Tulani

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Well you like what you like.

Most popular importer in the GTA has the 'Canadian version' (which there really is NONE by the manufacturer, just the most LTE+5G bands supported) is going for $1,649 CAD! So roughly the same retail pricing before tax as the upcoming Z Fold 6.

true you'll be delighted about the hardware spec of the Vivo X Fold 3, but after the sweet 3 month honeymoon phase - unless you're super technical, I have a feeling you 'may' be super frustrated with the overal software quirks and issues related to any official hardware warranty support should the need ever arise down the road.

So you'll be needing to start your own X Fold 3 thread and let us know how you go on day to day and findings. Good luck to you, its nice to have that kind of financial resources to enjoy fruits of labour (or to even got it like that).

Update-Edit:

Just finished watching the YT link - the US pricing is roughly the same of the import pricing I noted above which is VERY surprising. I've hyperlinked the pricing above for relevance.

Very surprised of the camera quality especially the rapidness of switching while video recording - that is HUGE. Also surprised about the removal of all the Vivo and Chinese carrier bloatware apps so you should be good on the software side of things ... but the core ROM will be the main hurdle should anything arise; we shall see.
I bought mine from Giztop with a promo for $1200 shipped, which is a steal in my eyes for what you get. But keep in mind, I opted for the standard X Fold 3, not the Pro version. I personally didn't see enough value to warrant an extra $450 for the Pro model, considering how I use my phone, so the price was certainly a factor. The Fold 6 looks nice for sure, but the price is certainly reaching exorbitant status in my eyes, for what I would consider minimal improvements, especially already owning the Fold 5.

I opted for the Chinese rom over the global variant because I find Origin OS to be far superior to Funtouch. I don't need Android Auto, Google Pay, or watch pairing for the phone, which were a few of the known issues with the Chinese version. You certainly have a good point with hardware support, but I believe it is a risk worth taking for the weight, battery, & camera improvements over the Fold. Overall, I think it will be just fine long term, but I will certainly share the experience once I get a little time with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.