Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's looking good

I think the buds are also going to blow us away
Oooh yeah!!!

Looking forward to those as I've grown seriously tired of the Buds2 Pro causing serius inner ear sweating and constant slipping. Compli has a solution but you cannot clean it using rubbing alcohol so thats not ideal.

Also the current FW of Buds2 Pro is annoying too sensitive to outer voices to induce ambient sound which is SUPER annoying on the TTc subway every stop or some kid wanting to be loud disrupting audio books or music so now I have to enable that feature of voice control

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Oooh yeah!!!

Looking forward to those as I've grown seriously tired of the Buds2 Pro causing serius inner ear sweating and constant slipping. Compli has a solution but you cannot clean it using rubbing alcohol so thats not ideal.

Also the current FW of Buds2 Pro is annoying too sensitive to outer voices to induce ambient sound which is SUPER annoying on the TTc subway every stop or some kid wanting to be loud disrupting audio books or music so now I have to enable that feature of voice control

I always urge people to go for full headphones if possible

Buds in general are just meh!

• Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For example when swiping up to go home or opening multitasking on the S24 vs. iPhone. When I go home by flicking up on iPhone the app window follows my finger exactly. If you flick to the right a bit the window moves in that direction as it's minimizing before settling on its original location on the home screen. It's like someone implemented physics into the OS and that my finger is the driving force behind that app minimization animation. Flick faster and the animation is more violent. Flick slowly and the animation is gentle. On Android it's like I would flick and a pre-canned animation would fire off. No physics, no personality, nothing to make the experience feel organic like I'm somehow involved in the process of going back to the home screen.
Interesting. Haven't really paid much attention with the animations (never had any major issues with it) ... in the dev settings there's ways to tweak it to your liking.

Now I did come across one video explaining how animations were pre-canned... for instance if I launched an app through a widget, I would get the same animation if I were to launch it from the dock or app launcher. But now that's been fixed.

For Android in general there is no clear design language DNA that exists throughout the different app experiences. It was a mess to be perfectly honest with you, I really didn't like it. I downloaded a bunch of the same apps I use on iOS and the design language between them was all off, like each one was made from scratch completely separate from one another. On iOS those same apps feel like they were made using the same base elements. I'm not anti Android but using the S24 for a short while really made me appreciate iOS and Apple's design guidelines/SDKs a lot more. Again, consistent text size across iOS apps really makes the experience feel polished. 1Password on Android, Chrome, Settings app, and a bunch of others all had different text and button sizes like someone hit the randomize button on window scaling for each.
Well, there is Material Design by Google... some devs adopt it whereas some don't. But when it comes down to design languages... it's predicated on the developer. For instance, Pocket Casts app design language is universally the same on both iOS and Android.

But in the case of OneUI... well, it's a skin... Samsung has their own deign language whereas Google have their own. There's going to be some clashes, but for the most part... Google have their choice in how they want to design their apps and Samsung does the same.

But the user is going to get a different app experience whenever they dive into an app in terms of design language... that's a given (goes for iOS as well). Now in regard to polish, you have a point there... but more and more I use Android, I'm feeling that gap is shrinking.

Folks think that we are still back in the TouchWiz days when iOS was far ahead in terms of fluidity and polish, but Google has made incredible work to push Android to where it is now.

Android felt like a computer with software, cold and utilitarian. iOS feels like my companion or home for interacting with the digital world, it's personable.
Cold and utilitarian? That's interesting choice of words. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: zakarhino

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
To all existing owners of the Fold what car mount or holder are you using with it

What secure and robust recommendation can you give

I am starting to put my accessories together now

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Interesting. Haven't really paid much attention with the animations (never had any major issues with it) ... in the dev settings there's ways to tweak it to your liking.

Now I did come across one video explaining how animations were pre-canned... for instance if I launched an app through a widget, I would get the same animation if I were to launch it from the dock or app launcher. But now that's been fixed.

Well, there is Material Design by Google... some devs adopt it whereas some don't. But when it comes down to design languages... it's predicated on the developer. For instance, Pocket Casts app design language is universally the same on both iOS and Android.

But in the case of OneUI... well, it's a skin... Samsung has their own deign language whereas Google have their own. There's going to be some clashes, but for the most part... Google have their choice in how they want to design their apps and Samsung does the same.

But the user is going to get a different app experience whenever they dive into an app in terms of design language... that's a given (goes for iOS as well). Now in regard to polish, you have a point there... but more and more I use Android, I'm feeling that gap is shrinking.

Folks think that we are still back in the TouchWiz days when iOS was far ahead in terms of fluidity and polish, but Google has made incredible work to push Android to where it is now.

Cold and utilitarian? That's interesting choice of words. But you are entitled to your opinion.
Certainly an interesting choice of words lol and too me what this poster notes is the very thing many Iphone fans attribute to the OS being boring these days with no individualism regardless if its good or bad unless 10 years later of course then they change lol

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Certainly an interesting choice of words lol and too me what this poster notes is the very thing many Iphone fans attribute to the OS being boring these days with no individualism regardless if its good or bad unless 10 years later of course then they change lol
When I think of cold... it's something frigid, lack of change. And that's far from the experience I get from using my Fold lol.

But what are your thoughts on the Fold 6? And how has your Fold 5 held up?

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
The Pixel Fold 9 Pro (I still don't like this name, too long), will also be unveiled on August 13?

I'm looking forward to seeing what both offer and to see if Pixel UI makes any improvements for the foldable phone.

I know that Samsung at the software level has a pretty significant advantage, because it already has quite a bit of experience with tablets and the previous Fold. However, for me I find Pixel UI more pleasant to use even if it doesn't have as many features as One UI.

I also have doubts about other features that I have doubts about foldables, such as the folding of the screen. In the Fold 6 it seems that it will improve a lot, but the Pixel Fold has not yet seen anything in that regard.

On the other hand, another thing I value is the camera. At Samsung, sadly there is no hardware upgrade and what I was testing in-store with the Fold 5 is a bit disappointing for its price point. The Pixel Fold is quite likely to be noticeably superior in this regard. Also in photo editing.

I also don't know if the Pixel Fold will even reach more European countries, as it is currently only sold in the UK and Germany, if I remember correctly.

Many unknowns that I want to be resolved. What is clear to me is that I want to try one of these phones, as it is the most "exciting" thing in the phone industry.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Pixel Fold 9 Pro (I still don't like this name, too long), will also be unveiled on August 13?

I'm looking forward to seeing what both offer and to see if Pixel UI makes any improvements for the foldable phone.

I know that Samsung at the software level has a pretty significant advantage, because it already has quite a bit of experience with tablets and the previous Fold. However, for me I find Pixel UI more pleasant to use even if it doesn't have as many features as One UI.

I also have doubts about other features that I have doubts about foldables, such as the folding of the screen. In the Fold 6 it seems that it will improve a lot, but the Pixel Fold has not yet seen anything in that regard.

On the other hand, another thing I value is the camera. At Samsung, sadly there is no hardware upgrade and what I was testing in-store with the Fold 5 is a bit disappointing for its price point. The Pixel Fold is quite likely to be noticeably superior in this regard. Also in photo editing.

I also don't know if the Pixel Fold will even reach more European countries, as it is currently only sold in the UK and Germany, if I remember correctly.

Many unknowns that I want to be resolved. What is clear to me is that I want to try one of these phones, as it is the most "exciting" thing in the phone industry.

Yeah pixel fold 2 or 9 pro fold will launch with other pixel 9 series nobody knows yet if the cameras will be same across the board

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
vivo-x-fold-3-12gb256gb-white.jpg

The Vivo X fold 3 pro looks incredible, and the cameras are true flagship grade.

It annoys me to no end that devices like this exist, but we can't get them with USA cellular bands.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Does look impressive. What is even crazier is that apparently the Honor V3 will be considerably thinner than the above?

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Does look impressive. What is even crazier is that apparently the Honor V3 will be considerably thinner than the above?

Supposedly, Xiaomi will then go even thinner 🤣

10.2mm => 9.9 => 9.8

Pretty crazy when the iPhone 15 Pro is 8.3 mm. These new foldable are no longer 'chunky' devices, for reference the Galaxy Fold 1 was ~15mm

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have the Buds Pro and Buds Live. I love the design of both, especially the Buds Live bean design. The fit and feel is just absolutely perfect. Been waiting forever for a next gen Buds Live, but I guess that's never coming. :(

IMO, if Samsung is going with the steam design, then they better add squeeze and slide functions like the Air Pods Pro. One thing I don't like about Samsung buds is the touch functions, cause every slight touch activates something. I can't even put them in and out my ear with it activating. I had to enable "block touches" and learn to live with that.

Squeeze function is a step BACKWARDS!
Anyone that's used 5he Aplke Airpods and Buds2 Pro will immediately sing this praise as the squeeze function is roughly .5 seconds slower to do and to register than simple touch implementation

Think of this in terms of Capacitive Touch screens and the resistive touch screens. We do NOT touch a resistive film that overlays the screen like those ancient PDSA SCREENS DO DO WE? NO!

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
vivo-x-fold-3-12gb256gb-white.jpg

The Vivo X fold 3 pro looks incredible, and the cameras are true flagship grade.

It annoys me to no end that devices like this exist, but we can't get them with USA cellular bands.
I've been using this phone for a few weeks now & would definitely recommend it if you're not sold on the Fold 6. It's easily the best foldable device on the market at the moment. I've had no issues at all with the Chinese rom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.