Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I just got the 13” version and it absolutely rocks all over the place, and is far worse than my M2 12.9” was. I saw people talking about it online before mine arrived but i was actually quite surprised to discover how bad the issue is, tapping anywhere above the middle of the display makes the entire thing rock back on itself
There appears to be variation in the wobbliness. I checked out a friend's 13" M4 iPad Pro, and it was less wobbly than one I checked out in-store and less wobbly than your description. It's also always possible that some tables aren't completely level which would change the result.

However even for my friends less wobbly unit, I think a couple of silicone bumpers on the bottom of the hinge could be useful for some people.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I got my 11” iPad Pro delivered on Friday and the Magic Keyboard on Saturday. The stability is not bad, but nonetheless I tried my silicone nose pads for my glasses to try to make it even more stable. Unfortunately they are not a good solution because they are too thick.

I don’t think a bumper is mission critical here, at least with my unit. Nonetheless I will search for something that might work, not just for the stability, but also to help protect the hinge from scratches.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I will search for something that might work, not just for the stability, but also to help protect the hinge from scratches.
Currently I use a lap desk that apparently isn’t perfectly flat so the hinge actually sits on the surface so there has never been a wobble on my 13. However for those who have concerns like yours, both Dodo and Burton offer Magic Keyboard cases. Not cheap, although the Dodo offering is modestly priced. But both would protect the exterior of the MKB as well as the hinge, as well as offering greater stability to the whole thing.

For what everyone has spent on the MKB and iPad combo, those cases would protect your investment for several years. At least that’s how I’m rationalizing it when taking mine out and about; I don’t have to worry about what surfaces I’ll have to use.

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
Mine does not but I am starting to notice a bend on the long edge with the track pad. Could be from the top heavy nature of the design and moving it around like a laptop by holding it from the bottom corners of the keyboard. Only can see it when it is closed since the iPad is straight as a reference. But it somehow does not result in a wobble.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
moving it around like a laptop by holding it from the bottom corners of the keyboard. Only can see it when it is closed since the iPad is straight as a reference. But it somehow does not result in a wobble.
I wonder if that also happened with the original MKB. I’ve almost never held mine that way, either the old or the new MKB; I always lift mine up by holding the ipad and the upper tilting portion of the keyboard so I’ve never seen a bend. I would think that the metal construction would be less bendable than the original keyboard in that way but maybe they both can bend like that when lifted up in that manner.

Bradenmikael

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
Mine does NOT wobble. Honestly, I think some of these YouTube tech folks think they’re all that and a bag of chips. I’ve stopped following and watching most of them - they’re extremely annoying at best.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Mine does NOT wobble. Honestly, I think some of these YouTube tech folks think they’re all that and a bag of chips. I’ve stopped following and watching most of them - they’re extremely annoying at best.
I think they just may be misstating the issue, or hyping it. Mine doesn’t wobble but I can make it do so if I wish. But I don’t wish🤷‍♂️ With the limited number of posts about this, I assume most people are not bothered, or have never experienced it. If I wanted to make a video to get some attention I could go banging away at the top of the ipad screen to make the case lift up. But I’ve never had to tap my screen that hard to initiate any function.

I do have to retract something I stated in a previous post about the Burton Magic Keyboard case. I had thought the part of that case that encloses the hinge of the MKB would prevent the wobble. In fact, it makes it worse. The additional weight of the Burton case that holds the upper part of the MKB increases the tiltability of the whole thing. That and the fact that the lower portion of the Burton is not attached in any way to the keyboard portion allows it to rock back with little effort. It does still protect the exterior of the MKB from abrasions and scuffing but will not prevent it from wobbling.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Right off the bat I will tell you I am used to the cast iron frypan feel of the CNC machined Keychron "Q" series keyboards, I have 3 of them so anything else is a light weight has been. I have the Logitech combo case for my M4 13" iPad. It works great except I have one big problem. I did not get the iPad to make it into into a laptop lite. I do not like the combination. I have the Logitech combo-case available for use so it isn't a complete non starter. I was in at the beginning of the portable computer. The early one were dogs, except that was all we had. 8" Floppys with a stupendous capacity of 250KB. Remember the 1971 Osborne 1, 2 8" floppies the OS on one and your work on the other. It was a very well made computer but so limited in what it could do. But there was nothing else to compare it to until the IBM 5100 which completely killed off the Osborne in 1975. Do any of you have a working IBM 5100? if so they are now worth $50.000 to $110,000 USD. It is from this time that some of us got our fill of portable computers. As for Laptops for years they did not have good battery life, and much power. Thinking about it our attitude toward portables was the same as it is now between the iPad and a MacBook. I can tell you this had the technology been available to build a iPad back in c.1980 how different things would be today.

IBM 5100

ibm5100.jpg

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Right off the bat I will tell you I am used to the cast iron frypan feel of the CNC machined Keychron "Q" series keyboards, I have 3 of them so anything else is a light weight has been. I have the Logitech combo case for my M4 13" iPad. It works great except I have one big problem. I did not get the iPad to make it into into a laptop lite. I do not like the combination. I have the Logitech combo-case available for use so it isn't a complete none starter. I was in at the beginning of the portable computer. The early one were dogs, except that was all we had. 8" Floppys with a stupendous capacity of 250KB. Remember the 1971 Osborne 1, 2 8" floppies the OS on one and your work on the other. It was a very well made computer but so limited in what it could do. But there was nothing else to compare it to until the IBM 5100 which completely killed off the Osborne in 1975. Do any of you have a working IBM 5100? if so they are now worth $50.000 to $110,000 USD. It is from this time that some of us got our fill of portable computers. As for Laptops for years they did not have good battery life, and much power. Thinking about it our attitude toward portables was the same as it is now between the iPad and a MacBook. I can tell you this had the technology been available to build a iPad back in c.1980 how different things would be today.

IBM 5100

View attachment 2393986
I don't understand what you're getting at @transmaster, with regards to the iPad Pro keyboards.

Anyhow, I haven't used that IBM one, but I have used those "portable" Compaqs back in the mid-80s, which I believe weighed half as much as the IBM 5100. However, they seemed to be used as desktops that could be occasionally moved, not as everyday portable devices. In fact, it was in some ways almost easier to move an Apple //c even with its CRT monitor, since it was significantly lighter than the Compaq. I've never used the much lighter Apple //c with the LCD though.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I don't understand what you're getting at @transmaster, with regards to the iPad Pro keyboards.

Anyhow, I haven't used that IBM one, but I have used those "portable" Compaqs back in the mid-80s, which I believe weighed half as much as the IBM 5100. However, they seemed to be used as desktops that could be occasionally moved, not as everyday portable devices. In fact, it was in some ways almost easier to move an Apple //c even with its CRT monitor, since it was significantly lighter than the Compaq. I've never used the much lighter Apple //c with the LCD though.

I had some laptop Compaqs they were obsolete by the time I got them but we used them in Amatuer radio stations. As for the iPad Pro with a keyboard. I am a high speed typist, got that way from 8 hours a day 7 days a week. I am very picky about keyboards, at least up till now and the Q series Keychrons.

I have to say that I just purchased this iPad Pro after not having a usable one for 4 years, I didn't have Bluetooth back in 2013, Plus I was mostly going with self assembled high end PC's. I am working into his iPad Pro.

I have switched over to the iPad using the Q1 keyboard and an Apple Magic track pad. I am not used to a track pad but this Apple track pad is just about the best I have ever used. I think I could get used to this. It will take longer to get used to going portable with a keyboard. With the Q1 is a simple fn 2 to switch to this iPad. Here is the thing right now. I am sitting at my radio desk and typing to this iPad, I look up and there is Mac. Studio. I need to start using the Logitech combo in bed.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
So is it a manufacturing defect then. Does the metal bar touch the table surface or not?
None of the metal hinges will touch the surface, but wobbling or rocking back does not occur in normal use. I can make mine rock back if I want by banging on the upper part of my iPad screen. But I don’t use it that way and would never have known it was a potential issue. Given the limited number of complaints, most are not aware of a problem. Most of us who bought a keyboard and trackpad device interact with the screen physically much less than those who use the iPad solo. I think that’s the whole purpose.

Bradenmikael

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
So is it a manufacturing defect then. Does the metal bar touch the table surface or not?
Quite frankly, I’m convinced there are folks out there will literally look for stuff to complain about. My 13" MK does not wobble at all unless I smack the top of my iPad like a maniac, which I don’t think is the intended purpose. That being said, it doesn’t wobble.

As I’ve said before, many of these self absorbed YouTube hotshots know nothing and act like they know everything.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Quite frankly, I’m convinced there are folks out there will literally look for stuff to complain about. My 13" MK does not wobble at all unless I smack the top of my iPad like a maniac, which I don’t think is the intended purpose. That being said, it Diane l doesn’t wobble.

As I’ve said before, many of these self absorbed YouTube hotshots know nothing and act like they know everything.
I've seen this issue with my own eyes. However, I've also seen ones that don't have much wobble. ie. There is some inconsistency.

And if you don't believe there is some inconsistency, take a look at this video, that had already been posted.

I think his essentially is defective and should be returned, but nonetheless it illustrates that not all real world iPad Pro M4 + Magic Keyboard pairings do well, due to differences from unit to unit.

BTW, I wonder if using a thick / heavy screen protector would make the wobble worse.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I've seen this issue with my own eyes. However, I've also seen ones that don't have much wobble. ie. There is some inconsistency.

And if you don't believe there is some inconsistency, take a look at this video, that had already been posted.

I think his essentially is defective and should be returned, but nonetheless it illustrates that not all real world iPad Pro M4 + Magic Keyboard pairings do well, due to differences from unit to unit.

BTW, I wonder if using a thick / heavy screen protector would make the wobble worse.
Either his granite is not level or his MKB is defective and should be returned. He should be able to determine that easily with a level on the granite surface. I’d suspect that but I’m not there to see it.

Below ⬇️ I have my 13 on my granite countertop, which I suspect isn’t completely flat. Anyway I’m tapping on the upper edge of the iPad hard enough to wake the screen and although the iPad itself wobbles or bounces a little, the keyboard does not. The upper hinge is tilted all the way back. Any additional weight added to the iPad could worsen the problem but seems unlikely that a screen protector would.

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I get really tired of these Apple talking heads I look at how many subscribers they have, The ones with a few thousand are so much more honest than the one with a million or more followers. T he OtterBox Defender has one that absolutely rules. The textured surface, and shape of the outer case makes the thin iPad Pro so much easier to hang onto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradenmikael

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Either his granite is not level or his MKB is defective and should be returned. He should be able to determine that easily with a level on the granite surface. I’d suspect that but I’m not there to see it. View attachment 2394902
He says right in the video that the behaviour is the same on multiple surfaces.

So yes it's defective, but it does suggest that this keyboard is more prone to wobbling vs. the old model.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
but it does suggest that this keyboard is more prone to wobbling vs. the old model.
Now that is true, which you can tell just by looking at them. The old ones have the exterior material wrapping around and over the hinge, adding a little extra depth to the base. That area also sits on whatever surface you have it on while the hinge does not. So a lighter, somewhat more streamlined, and hopefully more durable version was made. Someone somewhere was bound to discover something he wasn’t happy about. Even though mine does not wobble at all, when I’m using it on a flat surface like that countertop or a table, my wrists or palms are touching the aluminum surface so it wouldn’t wobble regardless.

Previously some complained about the weight of the thing, we got a lighter version. Others complained about that material that wraps around the hinge fraying badly, so it was removed. And others complained about the palm rests looking ugly and ragged after extended use, so we got an aluminum frame. Someone will always find something to bring up

Reactions: Bradenmikael

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have been using the Logitech Combo and I really don't don't like the thin, no travel, no tactile feedback keyboard. In a pinch it will do but I am too used to my Keychrons.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Check out the Lenrich brand on Amazon - I've had great luck with them and the typing on them is excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.