Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Based on that YouTube video, I might have expected that, but it wasn't the case in that particular store I visited. But like I said, there were some security cables attached which could have affected the assessment, and the old version in the store wasn't brand new either, so that might have changed things.

However, I think it does illustrate there may be some variability in the stability from unit to unit, although there does seem to be a real trend indicating that the new version is less stable than the old version.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Just tested this with my 2024 Magic Keyboard with my new iPad Pro M4 11’. It doesn’t have that problem.

I actually like this keyboard so much more than the previous generation of Magic Keyboard. The screen pivot point is lower on the back and it just feels so much more natural.

I also love that it opens with much less force, like it’s spring loaded or something.
That's good to hear. Could just be that mine is defective.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
That's good to hear. Could just be that mine is defective.
I wonder. I just put mine on a flat table and tipped the screen all the way back. When I tap it, it doesn’t rock/wobble any more than the old combination.

The keyboard itself never leaves the table unless I whack the screen. Now, in the video it looked like a 13” iPad, and that certainly could be different given how much more mass that is.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I wonder. I just put mine on a flat table and tipped the screen all the way back. When I tap it, it doesn’t rock/wobble any more than the old combination.

The keyboard itself never leaves the table unless I whack the screen. Now, in the video it looked like a 13” iPad, and that certainly could be different given how much more mass that is.
In my unscientific in-store test, the 2024 11" was noticeably more stable than the 2024 13". Not only 11" lighter, it's also much shorter in height, not just because it's smaller, but also because it has a flatter aspect ratio. The 13" is a 1.33:1 screen, whereas the 11" is 1.45:1.

OTOH, that huge trackpad on the 2024 13" was truly luxurious. :) Plus the 13" has the same key spacing as the Macs. The key spacing on the 11" is smaller, albeit still fine.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I have average sized hands at 5’ 11” and I’m finding that I type better on my iPad Pro Magic Keyboard than on my 14” Lenovo 9i laptop 😮

Reactions: EugW

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
In my unscientific in-store test, the 2024 11" was noticeably more stable than the 2024 13". Not only 11" lighter, it's also much shorter in height, not just because it's smaller, but also because it has a flatter aspect ratio. The 13" is a 1.33:1 screen, whereas the 11" is 1.45:1.

OTOH, that huge trackpad on the 2024 13" was truly luxurious. :) Plus the 13" has the same key spacing as the Macs. The key spacing on the 11" is smaller, albeit still fine.
I think 11' is a better option, 13' seems like missed oportunity

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
For those who have or are concerned about this wobble there is a cheap easy way to compensate for it, I believe. Until I came across these threads I was not aware of this possibility. It does depend on the surface you’re using it on, and in my specific use I have a lap desk that is tilted just slightly towards me, or it’s resting on my lap, or on a pillow on my lap, which all tilt the MKB just a bit towards me so I never noticed this. Also I never go banging my fingers on the upper portion of the screen since light touches are all that’s required; most of the time when I touch the screen I use a stylus or the pencil. Others use the trackpad. Either way there just isn’t going to be much of a wobble.

For any that also had the previous MKB you’ll see how the exterior material wraps over the bottom hinge adding additional support in back. Without that material the hinge would be slightly elevated over any surface as the hinge in the new MKB is. So for those concerned you could purchase a couple of small rubber adhesive bumpers to stick on the bottom of the hinge which would take up that gap when the the MKB is unfolded. That should prevent most if not all of the wobble. I did notice when taking a very close look at my old MKB that the material that wraps over the hinge had a couple very tiny areas on the ends that had frayed. I remember seeing threads here in the past from those complaining about this. As I’ve had that MKB for 4+ years I‘ve not been bothered by it. Apple has avoided that potential issue by having a bare hinge.

There is also a very expensive way of dealing with the wobble. A number of people here in the past had referred to a leather case for the MKB by Pad & Quill, now called Burton cases. The exterior leather forms that additional support that‘s missing from the bare hinge, it also would negate the need for any skins on the surface of the MKB. But you’d be spending about $180.

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
For those who have or are concerned about this wobble there is a cheap easy way to compensate for it, I believe. Until I came across these threads I was not aware of this possibility. It does depend on the surface you’re using it on, and in my specific use I have a lap desk that is tilted just slightly towards me, or it’s resting on my lap, or on a pillow on my lap, which all tilt the MKB just a bit towards me so I never noticed this. Also I never go banging my fingers on the upper portion of the screen since light touches are all that’s required; most of the time when I touch the screen I use a stylus or the pencil. Others use the trackpad. Either way there just isn’t going to be much of a wobble.

For any that also had the previous MKB you’ll see how the exterior material wraps over the bottom hinge adding additional support in back. Without that material the hinge would be slightly elevated over any surface as the hinge in the new MKB is. So for those concerned you could purchase a couple of small rubber adhesive bumpers to stick on the bottom of the hinge which would take up that gap when the the MKB is unfolded. That should prevent most if not all of the wobble. I did notice when taking a very close look at my old MKB that the material that wraps over the hinge had a couple very tiny areas on the ends that had frayed. I remember seeing threads here in the past from those complaining about this. As I’ve had that MKB for 4+ years I‘ve not been bothered by it. Apple has avoided that potential issue by having a bare hinge.

There is also a very expensive way of dealing with the wobble. A number of people here in the past had referred to a leather case for the MKB by Pad & Quill, now called Burton cases. The exterior leather forms that additional support that‘s missing from the bare hinge, it also would negate the need for any skins on the surface of the MKB. But you’d be spending about $180.
case on a case?

that bottom part seem to flop tho, why it's not attached to MK ? That must be nightmare to use on lap

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
case on a case?

that bottom part seem to flop tho, why it's not attached to MK ? That must be nightmare to use on lap
Yeah that loose bottom segment would concern me as well. But I believe some here on Macrumors bought the previous version which had the same design. But between the cost and that aspect I’d have to read a lot of good reviews first. A skin would be a lot cheaper but more tedious to install.

Chudley

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2023
A bit of carbon fibre sticky tape from Amazon fixed my wobble and protection problem . Looks pretty flash too ! Cost me 19Aud

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpeg
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
A bit of carbon fibre sticky tape from Amazon fixed my wobble and protection problem . Looks pretty flash too ! Cost me 19Aud
Glad it worked. How thick is that tape?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Thanks, but that attachment doesn't list the thickness.

I'm not sure if the space below the hinge is closer to 1 mm or 2 mm.
Anything that you put on the bottom of that hinge will work if you’re having an issue. These small bumpers from Amazon, and there are multiple varieties would work well.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Anything that you put on the bottom of that hinge will work if you’re having an issue. These small bumpers from Amazon, and there are multiple varieties would work well.

Those bumpers are 2.5 mm tall. I'm guessing that may be too tall. Most cabinet bumpers are that tall or taller. 1-2 mm bumpers are harder to find, but do exist.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Those bumpers are 2.5 mm tall. I'm guessing that may be too tall. Most cabinet bumpers are that tall or taller. 1-2 mm bumpers are harder to find, but do exist.
It would just add an extra millimeter of tilt to the MKB. You probably wouldn’t notice and it would eliminate any wobbling.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Another YouTuber complaining about the rocking, this time with the 11".

It would just add an extra millimeter of tilt to the MKB. You probably wouldn’t notice and it would eliminate any wobbling.
Ideally the MKB would be flush with the table, instead of being raised off the table by the bumper. I'm sure we'll be able to figure out the optimal bumper thickness in the coming months. :)

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Nice to hear. Here's hoping the problem illustrated in the video is just a problem with his particular unit.
It is not a problem with his particular unit. The problem is, how he uses it. If he would hit it even harder, the whole thing would fall on its back. There is just one little problem: You do not hit the iPad with the stylus that way, unless you want to create that problem.

Just tested it myself. It is a non issue. I would not even have remarked that, not having watched the video.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
It is not a problem with his particular unit. The problem is, how he uses it. If he would hit it even harder, the whole thing would fall on its back. There is just one little problem: You do not hit the iPad with the stylus that way, unless you want to create that problem.

Just tested it myself. It is a non issue. I would not even have remarked that, not having watched the video.
It's not a non-issue. I tested it myself in the store, and yes it's quite wobbly.

I don't buy the "you're tapping it wrong" argument. You can try to train yourself to be gentle, but the 13" iPad Air with the old Magic Keyboard beside it was considerably more stable.

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022

it's definitely an issue, on lap, on couch with my ipad13.

u2u2

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
GTA
I brought my m1 to Best Buy today to trade it in for the m4 both 12.9/13. On their table I had the same rocking yet at home using it for 2+ years never once. Brought my m4 home and no rocking. So not really sure why some see it. Must be the surface and how they use it?
I think you nailed it with “…how they use it.”
Didn’t notice rocking when I was at the Apples stores demoing the new iPads.
Didn’t notice it when using my new 11” MKB at home. Now into day 3. I have a gentle touch on the screen.
Get heavier handed, for which there is no need, and it will rock. Tilting the top of the screen back more increases the likelihood of rocking. All a matter of force applied and leverage.
Much prefer the new MKB over my previous Gen 4 12.9” IPP model.

Reactions: mtulman1

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
I think you nailed it with “…how they use it.”
Didn’t notice rocking when I was at the Apples stores demoing the new iPads.
Didn’t notice it when using my new 11” MKB at home. Now into day 3. I have a gentle touch on the screen.
Get heavier handed, for which there is no need, and it will rock. Tilting the top of the screen back more increases the likelihood of rocking. All a matter of force applied and leverage.
Much prefer the new MKB over my previous Gen 4 12.9” IPP model.
this year model is excelect but less stable, and even lesser then macbook air.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

It's a design flaw with the hinge 'bar' which unlike the first gen Magic Keyboard doesn't sit flush with the surface. This is why the iPad rocks back when it's pressed.

The design should have included either a thicker 'bar' or included some small rubber feet along its base to make sure it doesn't rock. As it currently stands however it's a flawed design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.