Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
that is the same brand but is not the Shift. Shift runs about $18 more
I just got the case and their screen protector. Both are tagged with For the 12.9 iPad. The screen protector is correct one because the camera cutout is in the correct position.

The case seems pretty nice. I hope it fits correctly.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob
👉🏻 I've had ESR iPad folios for two other iPads of mine. Even after four+ years of heavy use, they have not failed nor have they worn out.

I just bought this one (see link below) from Amazon for my iPad Pro 13" M4 2024...

KevinSR

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
I could not recommend Zugu cases more highly. In my opinion they are the best case available for iPads if you don’t need a keyboard case. I had pre-ordered a case from them years ago before they were called Zugu. There was some delay in the manufacture of the new cases, I believe the initial run had incorrect dimensions, or some other flaw. The owner of the company reached out to all who had pre-ordered, explained the issue, and shipped the previous version of the case, which we all were able to keep even after the new ones were shipped out to us. I can only imagine what that cost them, but it won me over as a customer.

They won’t be the fastest at getting out a case for the newest devices, I think that early problem years ago have made them hold off until they actually have the device. Other manufacturers often go just by the posted dimensions rather than the actual device. This has, and does, sometimes result in problems.
I'm going to need a case for my new iPad Air 11". The problem I've always had with iPad cases before is that they make using the buttons hard. Do the Zugu cases eliminate this issue?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm going to need a case for my new iPad Air 11". The problem I've always had with iPad cases before is that they make using the buttons hard. Do the Zugu cases eliminate this issue?
I love my Zulu Case for my M1 12.9”. But the buttons covers are stiff. But I like that it protects the iPad M1‘s buttons. I of course don’t know about the unreleased version for the M4.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
They are not stiff, fairly easy to press when you intend to. And they do protect them very well. Again, I can’t recommend them highly enough. I went ahead and purchased the ESR Shift case for the M4 iPad Pro just to have a case available when the device is delivered. The case looks to be very well made but is significantly heavier than the 12.9 Zugu cases I have. If you want something right away ESR seems to be the only choice. As someone else mentioned the ESR box label says its for a 12.9, but the 12.9 does not fit. Hopefully the 13 will. I’m sure the cases and boxes were manufactured before anyone knew that the new M4 would be referred to as 13”.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the ESR Shift arriving tomorrow. I’ve not used either before, but they appear to be quite similar. From my research, the Zugu is sturdier and has stronger magnets, but the front material does fray on the corners after time. The ESR has some extra functionality in the high view mode, portrait stand, and removable cover.
I’ve been using Zugu for years. in my experience, the earlier ones had a different kind material on the screen-facing side which could fray over time, but they ssem to have resolved that as all my later-model ZUGU cases are holding up very well.

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I fitted the ESR Shift today. They did a good job on the inner case. It is a snug fit, with good hole alignment, and responsive buttons. The outer folio stand, which enables all the various angles and positions does add a lot of bulk. The magnets which hold the back of the case to the folio are really strong and secure. It is nice to be able to easily detach the folio but still have the protection of the inner case. However, the magnets are quite weak for the front cover, they cannot hold it closed and the front slides about very easily. The wake/sleep function does work OK though. There is no microfibre material on the inside of the front cover.

The raised screen position is really nice for desk use, I can see me using that a lot. Portrait mode is also useful, but the magnets only work with the USB-C port orientated to the bottom, so it is not possible to charge or sync by cable whilst in this orientation.

The stretchy fabric stylus pouch on the rear is a little weird and of no use to me. I wish this was removable.

I imagine the ZUGU will be higher quality overall, but likely loses out on some of the functional flexibility. I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I imagine the ZUGU will be higher quality overall, but likely loses out on some of the functional flexibility. I'm interested to see how that turns out.
I did try my new M4 13 in my 12.9 Zulu case. It almost worked but wouldn’t be acceptable to anyone. So you’ll have to wait on that one. ESR and maybe one or two others seem to be the only ones available right now. I assume those companies went off the spec dimensions which is always a risk for the buyer when the actual device wasn’t used.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I had ordered the ESR Shift but thinking about returning it. It’s very well made but compared to what Zugu makes, it’s not quite there, and it is very heavy. Even though it has features Zugu does not have, they wouldn’t be that useful to me, not enough to make up for the weight. I think I’d prefer to just wait for Zugu to release theirs. I’ll be thinking more about this as I have until June to return the ESR.

Reactions: jazz1

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I've had the Zugu case for my 12.9" Pro since I got it 2 years ago & it has held up well. I will get one for the 13" once they are available but am looking for a temporary one until then. I had seen the ESR cases. I like the Shift but it seems very bulky & is a bit pricey for a temp case. The other one is a trifold case. Those who have a trifold case, do you ever use your iPad on your lap, or on the bed? I don't think the trifold is a good option for those scenarios but I haven't actually tried one.

LorneMalvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Spain Alicante
👉🏻 I've had ESR iPad folios for two other iPads of mine. Even after four+ years of heavy use, they have not failed nor have they worn out.

I just bought this one (see link below) from Amazon for my iPad Pro 13" M4 2024...

Have you received the esr case and the iPad, how does the case look?

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Got the ESR shift. Like that I can detach it from the stand. Quality is great too. Yeah it is bit heavy, but not minding it much. Will keep an eye out for alternatives, especially those with kickstands

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Question for ZUGU case users…

95% of my use is with, whatever case, the smart cover open and folded back flat against the back of the iPad. Does the ZUGU hold the smart cover tight against the back with magnets of some sort, or does it flop down if you’re not holding it with your hand?

I very very rarely ever use the stand part of any iPad case. But I need side protection.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Question for ZUGU case users…

95% of my use is with, whatever case, the smart cover open and folded back flat against the back of the iPad. Does the ZUGU hold the smart cover tight against the back with magnets of some sort, or does it flop down if you’re not holding it with your hand?

I very very rarely ever use the stand part of any iPad case. But I need side protection.
My Zugu case does not do that. But I don’t feel it is necessary to stop it flapping around

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The Zugu protects all sides of the iPad regardless if you have the cover closed or not. I don’t believe anyone would carry it around with the cover folded back, why risk damaging the screen. The cover easily folds back flat against the back of the case but is not attached in anyway so it will flop down if you’re not holding it from the bottom. But it does allow it to be laid flat on any surface you place the device on. I would only place it in that manner if I were signing something on the screen; however the stand part does allow for a very low angle for such uses which I believe artists would frequently use as well. Other than such uses, laying it flat while using it would strain my neck and affect how sharp the display looks. There’s a reason I don’t lay my tv’s flat while watching them.

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I've never seen a Zugu in the flesh, but from the photos it looks like it has a really deep lip along the screen edge, I prefer something more low-profile. The Pencil slot is also rather large chunky waste of space if you don't intend to use it. I wish manufacturers would do versions with and without.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
looks like it has a really deep lip along the screen edge
It does have a deep lip but I’ve seen many complain about a slim lip not protecting the screen well enough when laid face down. But I don’t know who lays a big iPad face down, a phone yes, but an iPad that has a cover?🤷‍♂️But overall compared to other iPad cases, both stand and non-stand type, Zugu’s case is very comfortable to carry in your hand, and light as well.

That deep lip does make it a little tricky removing the iPad so if you’re someone who frequently takes the device out and then puts it back in you might find it a little tedious. But you’ll never question how well protected it is:)

Reactions: IT Troll

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
…I don’t believe anyone would carry it around with the cover folded back, why risk damaging the screen.
Teachers, students, contractors, engineers, estimators, architects, athletes… the list of people who “carry it around “ and use iPads for business and other mobile endeavors is endless.

…The cover easily folds back flat against the back of the case but is not attached in anyway so it will flop down if you’re not holding it from the bottom.
Zugu has a picture of what is ostensibly an iPad in a Zugu case magnetically held against a refrigerator door on the main page of their website, which is what prompted my question. It doesn’t sound like this is possible… from replies from those who have had one.

IMG_3866.jpeg

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Teachers, students, contractors, engineers, estimators, architects, athletes… the list of people who “carry it around “ and use iPads for business and other mobile endeavors is endless.

Zugu has a picture of what is ostensibly an iPad in a Zugu case magnetically held against a refrigerator door on the main page of their website, which is what prompted my question. It doesn’t sound like this is possible… from replies from those who have had one.

I take it back. The cover will indeed magnetically adhere to the rear of the case when folded back and will stick to a metal surface, including my refrigerator. I keep my Apple Pencil in the sleeve that’s at the back of the case so when I folded the cover back it just fell away. But remove the pencil and it sticks fine. It won’t resist shaking it like that as the cover will flop down. I used mine occasionally for work but always carried it with the cover closed over the screen and only when I arrived at where I needed to use it did I fold the cover back. I can be a klutz and carrying it that way when not immediately planning to use it is just a risk I can’t afford. but it certainly can be ported that way for those who are more sure-handed than I am. This is a big device (the 12.9/13) that can get away from you.

Reactions: asleep

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I take it back. The cover will indeed magnetically adhere to the rear of the case when folded back and will stick to a metal surface, including my refrigerator...
Ah, good news then. Thanks. 👍

My first actual possibility of a functional case for the new iPad Pro 11. 😅

Reactions: papbot

Bshan5

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
Waiting on new Zugu case for the AIR 13(2024), but leery of having it naked until they start selling the case. If anyone’s interested, I picked up a Moko for IPad Air 13” for $8.09 on Amazon. Excellent temporary fix until the Zugus come out.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I pick cheap ESR case that on offer. It is okay but just annoying I cant get screen how I want thought cos limited. It is fine for now though. Hopefully Zugu won’t take too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.