to Lt Belspur

Re: DHCP Lease Is Only 10 Minutes??

said by Lt Belspur:

Now you have your excuse to get this:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 963bd570

I get 2372.16 / 2375.46 on my i9-14900KS

I wish. But then I would have to get this:
»www.juniper.net/us/en/pr ··· all.html

The SRX320 I have now does gigabit, but not multi-gig.

I know, I know.... before anyone says it, I've experimented with pfSense, OPNSense, and I even ran a pretty stout PF/openBSD firewall in a production environment at a Colo facility many years ago. But I always come back to Juniper. Hardware is bulletproof and JTAC is very good. I just wish they had units that supported 10 Gbps SFPs in the lineup below the SRX380. The downlevel units will do aggregate multi-gigabit (SRX340, 4.7 Gbps..... SRX345, 5 Gbps) but that's across multiple 1 GbE interfaces with no option for 10 GbE.

All things considered, I would probably do OPNSense on a Supermicro chassis with 10G SFP+ modules, before I'd try to justify to my wife, a $10k+ (with JUNOS entitlement package) router purchase just for home use. And since I'm not particularly keen on doing that right now-- in part, because I'd have to reconfigure a bunch of IPsec routed tunnels between OPNsense and Juniper and there's a learning curve there-- I'll have to moderate my lust for more speed, that I don't really need anyway but WANT.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

At least you are now on XGS-PON. My two FRX-523 ONTs have been rock-solid.

I do love my 2 Gig. It also has been rock-solid.

terabitz
join:2016-10-16
Thonotosassa, FL
ARRIS NVG468MQ
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Cisco 7941/7961

terabitz

said by Lt Belspur:

My two FRX-523 ONTs have been rock-solid.

Too bad those things emit a WiFi network that cannot be disabled.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by terabitz:

For the technician's use, or other? I noticed he was pressing his smartphone against the case to get some kind of reading.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz

I don't know if anybody knows, but there's a Frontier-xxxx (or something like that) SSID that comes out of those things that cannot be disabled.

Unless a firmware update was pushed to them that disables it.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by terabitz:

I don't know if anybody knows, but there's a Frontier-xxxx (or something like that) SSID that comes out of those things that cannot be disabled.

Unless a firmware update was pushed to them that disables it.

It would be interesting to know how strong the credtials are (if any) that protect it, if the technican knows it or if his phone got the password via push from an MDM...... and what exactly can (and cannot) be done from that access. In other words, can firmware be pushed to it via wi-fi, settings/config set, or is it only for reading diagnostic data. Hmm.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz

My concern is that it's broadcasting and it would interfere with my wifi network since my router sits right next to where the fiber terminates

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by terabitz:

My concern is that it's broadcasting and it would interfere with my wifi network since my router sits right next to where the fiber terminates

Have you ever tested how far away from the ONT you can still see that SSID? I'd feel better if it's only a couple feet, max. I'll have to test that next time I'm on that side of the house.

terabitz
Thonotosassa, FL

terabitz

I don't have an FRX523 nor do I know anybody who does, so I couldn't say for sure.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to terabitz

to terabitz
My two no longer show the Frontier-XXXX. There was a firmware update that removed that.

It is an interface that a tech can use to access the ONT in an MDU environment.
said by terabitz:

said by Lt Belspur:

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by Lt Belspur:

My two no longer show the Frontier-XXXX. There was a firmware update that removed that.

It is an interface that a tech can use to access the ONT in an MDU environment.

said by terabitz:

said by Lt Belspur:

I'm wondering if they're doing it with bluetooth now. The tech did take out his phone and press the back of it against the ONT to accomplish... something. Don't know if he was activating the new ONT with the system, or reading diagnostic data or whatever; I didn't ask. Whatever it was, it required his smartphone to be very close to the ONT.