dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
njweb
join:2017-01-07

njweb

Next Gen upload speeds - Any idea when this will come to NJ?

Regarding the Xfinity 'Next Gen' (Mid Split?) network (»www.xfinity.com/network) with higher upload speeds:

1) It seems like Xfinity now supports COAM (customer owned modems) for next gen upload speeds? Let me know if am wrong? »assets.xfinity.com/asset ··· ices.pdf

2) Does anyone have an approximate idea when these speeds will be available in NJ?

PS: I believe DOCSIS 4.0 modems are still far away, so the best option for right now might be one the DOCSIS 3.1 modems which supports the higher upload speeds?
»[NEWS] Comcast begins roll-out of DOCSIS 4.0

That said, if it will be a while before NJ gets the higher upload speeds, I may as well wait before buying a new modem...

(Unfortunately my current workhorse Arris S33 does not support the higher upload speeds).
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

2 edits

neufuse

Your S33 doesnt support higher upload speeds? I can get 100Mbit upload on mine fine and I THINK it can do a few hundred mbit upload without the midsplit requirement
S33 should also support mid-split fine if they would push the update out for it, the device is capable of it.. they have been "testing" it for a year now with the S33

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by neufuse:

Your S33 doesnt support higher upload speeds? I can get 100Mbit upload on mine fine

100Mbps is about the useable capacity of 4 QAM upstream channels between 5-45Mhz. For higher capacity, they have to switch it to OFDMA or use spectrum above 45Mhz.
said by neufuse:

they have been "testing" it for a year now with the S33

They have been field testing the S33 with LLD.
»corporate.comcast.com/st ··· d-trials

Anon3465e
@76.116.78.x

Anon3465e

Anon

does docsis (LLD) have anything to do with the higher upload speeds that people are waiting for their modem or is it different?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Anon3465e :

does docsis (LLD) have anything to do with the higher upload speeds that people are waiting for their modem or is it different?

it’s different.
Follow the link I posted, that explains it.

Anon4c3e0
@24.7.25.x

Anon4c3e0

Anon

said by DocDrew:

said by Anon3465e :

it’s different.
Follow the link I posted, that explains it.

Different, but indirectly related, as LLD with Comcast is only available where DAA/OFDMA is implemented, which is where the mid-split higher upload speeds are also available (or at least *may* be available).
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to DocDrew

to DocDrew
there's also mid split tests for the S33
jweaver
Blackwood, NJ

jweaver to njweb

to njweb
Mid split is Only available in small parts of NJ to my knowledge, it's expanding but slowly. The main spot I knew about, was certain neighborhoods in Mount Laurel, now it also looks certain Neighborhoods in Deptford and Lindenwold now too.
njweb

njweb to neufuse

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Your S33 doesnt support higher upload speeds? I can get 100Mbit upload on mine fine and I THINK it can do a few hundred mbit upload without the midsplit requirement
S33 should also support mid-split fine if they would push the update out for it, the device is capable of it.. they have been "testing" it for a year now with the S33

Thanks. Yes, the S33 supports it as you noted. Hard to believe they support it on the Hitron Coda 56 but not the S33, which many of us bought, at the time (a few years ago), to prepare us for next gen speeds.

So they really are testing it? Some replied in another thread, that they doubt the S33 will be supported (seems they want you to have to buy an S34 - the poster mentioned the S34).
I am debating getting a Hitron Coda 56, but if Xfinity will support next gen speeds on the S33 I will hold off on switching to the Hitron.
njweb

njweb to jweaver

to jweaver
said by jweaver:

Mid split is Only available in small parts of NJ to my knowledge, it's expanding but slowly. The main spot I knew about, was certain neighborhoods in Mount Laurel, now it also looks certain Neighborhoods in Deptford and Lindenwold now too.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Where did you get the info (from posts here?). Just wondering where I can check.
Wish I knew approximately how long it will take for mid-split to be deployed / implemented.
kitsap
join:2003-12-07
Poulsbo, WA

1 recommendation

kitsap

Click for full size
said by njweb:

Thanks for the helpful reply. Where did you get the info (from posts here?). Just wondering where I can check.
Wish I knew approximately how long it will take for mid-split to be deployed / implemented.

The FCC Broadband Map is a reference.
Start here: »broadbandmap.fcc.gov/home
Put in your home address. It is an interactive map, you will need to set the service filters to find mid-split. See attached.

New fiber runs were installed in my area two years ago by contractors. The coax amplifiers were upgraded a few months ago, again by contractors. Comcast trucks are in the area replacing/splitting nodes this week.

Anon29533
@24.7.25.x

1 recommendation

Anon29533 to njweb

Anon

to njweb
said by njweb:

Comcast has internal estimates for most locations, but they do not share to the public as those dates are highly likely to get shifted as time goes on (especially as the dates are further out the likelihood of meeting that date goes down dramatically (everyone knows that experience), and Comcast does not want the bad press of offering a date and then missing it).

One thing to be aware of is that due to the specifics of the location one can end up being an island in deployment (early, or late). If you look at the FCC maps in locations of mixed availability you will occasionally see a red area in the middle of a sea of green (or green in the middle of red). There is no way to know if you are on one of those future islands, nor what color you will be.

Comcast still states a target of 50% mid-split deployments will be complete by the end of 2024, and mostly complete by end of 2025.

For everyone still waiting, all one can do is continue to wait, and hope to soon receive one of those extended outage notifications that mention outages in the middle of the day (while not all the needed upgrades seem to happen in the middle of the day, that seems to be a common thing to happen, as there needs to be a coordination between many parts of the Comcast organization).
njweb

njweb to kitsap

to kitsap
said by kitsap:

said by njweb:

Put in your home address. It is an interactive map, you will need to set the service filters to find mid-split. See attached.

New fiber runs were installed in my area two years ago by contractors. The coax amplifiers were upgraded a few months ago, again by contractors. Comcast trucks are in the area replacing/splitting nodes this week.

Thanks a lot!
As of now Status shows "Not Served".
njweb

njweb to Anon29533

to Anon29533
said by Anon29533 :

said by njweb:

Comcast has internal estimates for most locations, but they do not share to the public as those dates are highly likely to get shifted as time goes on (especially as the dates are further out the likelihood of meeting that date goes down dramatically (everyone knows that experience), and Comcast does not want the bad press of offering a date and then missing it).

One thing to be aware of is that due to the specifics of the location one can end up being an island in deployment (early, or late). If you look at the FCC maps in locations of mixed availability you will occasionally see a red area in the middle of a sea of green (or green in the middle of red). There is no way to know if you are on one of those future islands, nor what color you will be.

Comcast still states a target of 50% mid-split deployments will be complete by the end of 2024, and mostly complete by end of 2025.

For everyone still waiting, all one can do is continue to wait, and hope to soon receive one of those extended outage notifications that mention outages in the middle of the day (while not all the needed upgrades seem to happen in the middle of the day, that seems to be a common thing to happen, as there needs to be a coordination between many parts of the Comcast organization).

Thanks! Appreciate all the info.
Yes, will have to just wait (patiently, hopefully).
kitsap
join:2003-12-07
Poulsbo, WA

1 recommendation

kitsap to njweb

to njweb
said by njweb:

said by kitsap:

said by njweb:

Thanks a lot!
As of now Status shows "Not Served".

Keep in mind, the FCC map is an after the fact compilation of data submitted by the ISP's.

It is a good reference to note progress or lack thereof in specific areas.