All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
MattK
join:2024-05-06
B0P!P)

MattK

[Aliant] Gigahub assigns devices to wrong subnet

We upgraded from HUB3000 to GIGAHUB about a month ago. I have not changed any settings in the router. I have noted that sometimes when a devices attempts to connect to the Gigahub it is assigned an ip address outside the expected subnet. Specifically, the default IP of the router internally is 192.168.2.1. I cannot understand why it assigns addresses that are mapped to 192.168.1.XX. So the added device will appear be attached to the network, but with no internet connectivity. Sometimes, with the XBOX S, for example, switching the connection from auto to manual and back to auto will get the device in the right address subnet when it reconnects, but on the smart TV's we had to manually assign an address, subnet and so forth. Finally none of our Amazon Alexa devices will connect despite providing them with the right passwords provided with the Gigahub. I contacted Amazon support, have reset the devices tried to manually input the appropriate details and consistently am denied with unrecognized password, which I have keyed in correctly. That the addressing issue does not seem to happy consistently does give me pause for thought, as to me it would be more intuitive if all connection attempts failed. With thanks for any insights. Tech support refreshed the internet connection but this had no impact on the device assignments.
nbaron
join:2019-02-06
Pickering, ON

nbaron

Assume your router is using PPOE to connect to the Gigahub and that all devices are either wired or using the SSID of your router?
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs

Aliant does not use PPPoE, and the OP seems to call the GigaHub router.
nbaron
join:2019-02-06
Pickering, ON

nbaron

Of course I missed it said Aliant
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

1 recommendation

alpovs to MattK

to MattK
Factory reset is known to cure many problems with the GigaHub. It's not clear if you factory reset it. In any case, do it or do it again. Maybe it was used and someone changed WiFi password and that's why you can't connect to WiFi. And maybe someone changed the DHCP settings. After factory reset use the WiFi password from the label on the GigaHub. Make sure to check for O's and zeros and l's (L) and I's (i).
zadigre
Premium Member
join:2006-10-02
Montreal, QC

zadigre to MattK

Premium Member

to MattK
first time seeing this... my friends, family or customers that have a gigahub do not have this problem.
are you sure there nothing on your network that may be handing out 192.168.1.xxx adresses on your network?
When you get a 192.168.1.xxx address, what is the router/gateway address you're getting?