MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

4 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

[Comcast Equip] Comcast internet customers can now get the Xumo Stream Box

Today, Comcast announced that their internet customers can now get the Xumo Stream Box:

Xfinity Launches Xumo Stream Box
Comcast press release - December 12, 2023
»corporate.comcast.com/pr ··· ream-box
quote:
Starting today, Xfinity Internet customers have a new way to enjoy streaming entertainment in the home with the launch of Xumo Stream Box.

Available at no additional monthly cost, Xumo Stream Box is powered by EntertainmentOS, Comcast’s latest entertainment experience that makes it easy for customers to find and watch the content they love.

“Finding something to watch across streaming apps can be frustrating and time consuming for customers,” said John Dixon, Senior Vice President, Entertainment.

Spend more time watching, less time searching:

- Customers can search for a show or movie by saying its name into the included voice remote, and Xumo Stream Box will search across available apps and services to find it.

- Xumo Stream Box uses both AI-driven personalization and an in-house editorial team to surface content recommendations within the experience, helping customers find something to watch without having to jump in and out of apps.

Access Xfinity Stream channels quickly and easily:

- Live channels from Xfinity Stream are always front and center on Xumo Stream Box, making it easy for broadband customers to find something to watch among the app’s 20+ FAST channels, and for NOW TV customers to quickly access and enjoy their 40+ streaming channels from A&E, AMC, Hallmark, Warner Bros. Discovery, and more.

-New features like the “currently playing” tile that shows what’s airing on the last Xfinity Stream channel the customer watched, and the built-in channel guide makes browsing Xfinity Stream channels a seamless part of the experience.

Instant app access, with more ways to personalize than ever:

- Xumo Stream Box comes preloaded with hundreds of streaming apps, no need for customers to download before they watch. They can simply say the name of the streaming service into the voice remote, and Xumo Stream Box will find and launch it.

- For the first time, Xfinity customers will be able to build personalized viewing lists for every member of the family with “My List.” With just one click, customers can add any show or movie available on Xumo Stream Box to a specific list, giving them a quick way to find what to watch next.

Xumo Stream Box joins Sky Glass and Sky Stream as the latest device powered by EntertainmentOS, Comcast’s new entertainment experience that combines an intuitive UI, a robust metadata platform, and award-winning voice technology into a scalable experience. EntertainmentOS is built upon the same RDK-powered global technology platform that delivers nearly five billion entertainment streams per week to customers across Comcast, Sky, Xumo and its syndication partners, and processes 15 billion entertainment-related voice commands a day through its award-winning voice search technology. As a result, Xumo Stream Box offers all the same search and discovery features Xfinity customers love about X1 and Flex within a new user experience that makes it even easier for them to navigate between their favorite live, on-demand or streaming content.
quote:
These boxes will cost you $5 a month and a $15 one-time activation fee. Also, customers are limited to just three devices per account. So if you own more than 3 TVs you will need to get a different streaming player for the other TVs. Unlike with Spectrum, there doesn’t seem to be any option to buy the box and not pay the monthly fee. Comcast says if you stop paying for these boxes you must return them to Comcast.

Update: Comcast has confirmed that internet customers can get one free Xumo Stream Box and they will waive the activation fee. Each additional box comes with a monthly fee and activation fee. Also the $15 activation fee is per account not per device for these streaming players.

terabitz
join:2016-10-16
Thonotosassa, FL
ARRIS NVG468MQ
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Cisco 7941/7961

terabitz

Nothing is mentioned if it's itemized separately from the Flex box but I am going to assume that it's implied that Flex box users will need to return theirs if they ask for a Xumo, or would need to so they aren't charged for having a second box.

Also, why the activation fee for additional units? That's literally 25% of what they retail for.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Here's the info on the Xumo Stream Box on Comcast's website:

Xumo Stream Box - All you can stream
»www.xfinity.com/learn/xu ··· treambox

What's Xumo Stream Box from Xfinity?
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· overview

Xumo Stream Box from Xfinity FAQs
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· umo-faqs

Xumo Stream Box activation process overview
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· -process

Xumo Stream Box from Xfinity accessibility options
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· sibility

Xumo Stream Box error codes and messages
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· or-codes

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

2 recommendations

pclover to telcodad

to telcodad
DOA

Activation and month fees wtf? It's worse then the Flex.

Relies on Xfinity Stream which lacks 4K, HDR, and DD audio. Entire thing is completely pointless with zero benefit.

Why does this exist?
lesmikesell
join:2013-06-10
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by pclover:

Why does this exist?

So you don't have to decide what you want to watch 'now'.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to terabitz

MVM

to terabitz
Here's "the fine print" on the Xumo Stream Box:
quote:
Restrictions apply. Not available to current Xfinity TV customers. Requires post-paid subscription to Xfinity Internet, excluding Internet Essentials.

One-time $15 activation fee per account. Limited to 3 devices. Currently, one device included with monthly Xfinity Internet service. Additional devices $5/mo.

Pricing is subject to change. Taxes, fees and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change.

All devices must be returned when service ends. Separate charges apply to On Demand and certain streaming services. Viewing will count against any Comcast data plan.

terabitz
join:2016-10-16
Thonotosassa, FL
ARRIS NVG468MQ
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Cisco 7941/7961

2 recommendations

terabitz

So it looks like Comcast is using it like their Flex box service, which contrasts how Charter is using it. Charter is actually pushing it to new video customers over traditional cable boxes and anybody can get one, regardless of internet only or internet/video customer.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by terabitz:

So it looks like Comcast is using it like their Flex box service, which contrasts how Charter is using it. Charter is actually pushing it to new video customers over traditional cable boxes and anybody can get one, regardless of internet only or internet/video customer.

Yes and Charter customers can purchase the Xumo Stream Box outright for $60 or pay $5 per month over 12 months.

I wonder if you could purchase a Xumo Stream Box from Charter/Spectrum and then use it as an extra box on Comcast?
telcodad

telcodad to pclover

MVM

to pclover
said by pclover:

... Relies on Xfinity Stream which lacks 4K, HDR, and DD audio. Entire thing is completely pointless with zero benefit.

Why does this exist?

quote:
The Xumo Stream Box ... is a 4K streaming device that aggregates search and discovery for content from live, on-demand, streaming, free ad-supported streaming TV (FAST) and pre-loaded apps within one experience.
:
A key feature of the device is to make the process of search, discovery and accessing content easier amid the current landscape of TV viewing fragmentation and choice fatigue. It comes with a voice remote that enables customers to search for a movie or show by saying the name, and the device will search across all available apps and services to locate it. It also uses AI-driven personalization alongside an in-house editorial team to surface content recommendations from across services on the platform, without having to switch between various apps.

And hundreds of streaming apps, including Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, Max, Netflix, Peacock and others, come pre-integrated. Customers can use the voice remote to search streaming services by name, after which the Xumo Stream Box will find and launch the app.

“Finding something to watch across streaming apps can be frustrating and time consuming for customers,” said John Dixon, SVP of Entertainment at Comcast, in a statement. “Xumo Stream Box helps simplify streaming so customers can spend less time searching and more time watching with key features like live TV at start-up, leading voice search, an integrated guide, and all the most popular apps preloaded and ready to watch.”

For the Xumo Stream Box from Xfinity in particular, users will also be able to access live channels from Xfinity Stream and that app’s more than 20 FAST channels, as well the more than 40 streaming channels included in Comcast's Now TV offering (introduced in May) from A&E, AMC, Hallmark, Warner Bros. Discovery and others. Comcast touted new features such as a “currently playing” tile, which shows what’s airing on the last Xfinity Stream channel a customer viewed, and the built-in channel guide, as making browsing the operator’s streaming channels more seamless.

One more first for Xfinity customers is the ability to create personalized viewing lists for each member of the family with a “My List” feature.
:
... they’ve designed an operating system that can function for both cord cutters and for those who already have an existing pay TV package, one they are not particularly keen to give up,” he wrote.

According to Wolk, around 30% of the U.S. population has little to no interest in giving up cable or venturing into the world of streaming devices and smart TV interfaces.

“So the Xumo box is there to help them enter the 21st century and the Wonderful World of Streaming Television, while still providing access to a familiar grid-style EPG and all their favorite networks,” the analyst commented.
kdex86
join:2016-06-10
Norton, MA

2 recommendations

kdex86

Looking at the FAQs, I see some good and some bad:

The good:
quote:
Can I watch live TV?

Broadcast TV (e.g., NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX) and cable networks (e.g., CNN, ESPN, and HGTV) are not included with the Xumo Stream Box. However, you can watch live TV through a separate streaming service like YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, Sling TV Orange and Blue, and Paramount+.

For all other linear services, you’ll need to subscribe to Xfinity TV service to watch live broadcast and cable TV channels.

So you're not restricted to Xfinity's TV service if you want to use the Xumo box and have live TV channels like ESPN and CNN. That's good.

The bad:
quote:
I currently subscribe to Cinemax, Starz, and/or MGM+ online. Can I continue watching on Xumo Stream Box using my existing credentials?

No. You'll need to cancel your existing subscription and purchase these services through Comcast to access them on your Xumo Stream Box.

What the ****? Trojan horse alert!

And the ugly:
quote:
I purchased my Xumo Stream Box from xumo.com. Will my experience be the same?

Yes — you can enjoy all the same features if you purchased your device from xumo.com, including access to the Xfinity Stream app.

However, you won’t be able to upgrade to NOW TV from your Xumo Stream Box. Xumo Stream Box also cannot be set as your primary video service if you purchased your device from xumo.com.

Lastly, you may notice a few differences with your XR100 Remote, including the addition of app buttons.

So if you want both TV and internet service through Xfinity and want to use the Xumo box, you can't outright replace the X1 box and eliminate the $10 TV box rental fee. Comcastic!

Also, this implies that the Comcast-provided Xumo boxes have slightly different remotes than the retail boxes. Specifically, the retail boxes have a better looking remote with app buttons and a "glossy" voice remote button. I'm curious as to why this is...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

... Charter customers can purchase the Xumo Stream Box outright for $60 or pay $5 per month over 12 months.

I wonder if you could purchase a Xumo Stream Box from Charter/Spectrum and then use it as an extra box on Comcast?

said by kdex86:

Looking at the FAQs, I see some good and some bad:
:
And the ugly:

quote:
I purchased my Xumo Stream Box from xumo.com. Will my experience be the same?

Yes — you can enjoy all the same features if you purchased your device from xumo.com, including access to the Xfinity Stream app.

However, you won’t be able to upgrade to NOW TV from your Xumo Stream Box. Xumo Stream Box also cannot be set as your primary video service if you purchased your device from xumo.com.

Lastly, you may notice a few differences with your XR100 Remote, including the addition of app buttons.

So if you want both TV and internet service through Xfinity and want to use the Xumo box, you can't outright replace the X1 box and eliminate the $10 TV box rental fee. Comcastic!

Also, this implies that the Comcast-provided Xumo boxes have slightly different remotes than the retail boxes. Specifically, the retail boxes have a better looking remote with app buttons and a "glossy" voice remote button. I'm curious as to why this is...

I guess that answers my question with a "Yes, but your experience on Xfinity will be degraded."
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by telcodad:

I wonder if the box will pair with older X1 remotes like the XR11.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

PaulGo to telcodad

to telcodad
I find devices such as Roku to be better than the Xumo Stream Box. The alternatives offer more content and is less expensive. It also gives you more choices if you want to get paid content such as Sling.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 recommendations

Darknessfall to kdex86

Premium Member

to kdex86
said by kdex86:

I saw the XR100 a while back and was a little confused with the different remotes. Because the Spectrum/Retail remote looks like it's more in Comcast's design language, minus the app buttons. The Comcast version looks more generic.

I'm curious if it can actually pause/rewind live TV on XFINITY Stream, and input the channel numbers. I believe you can on the Spectrum version, or at least use the numbers - but the Stream app may still be pretty limited by comparison. The FAQ asks if you can pause/rewind live TV on Choice TV, and goes about it very vaguely by saying no, you can't subscribe to Choice TV via Zumo at the moment.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

dishrich to kdex86

to kdex86
said by kdex86:

Yes, I wonder if this ALSO applies to those new TV's that have the Xumo OS embedded in them? Because I swore that when these TV's were first talked about, that was supposed to be one of the very things Xfinity mentioned you COULD do with them.

»www.xumo.com/products/xumo-tv

And yet if you go here, Xumo is listed along with all the other eligible streaming devices (Roku, Fire, etc.) that CAN replace an X1 TV box for full TV service:
»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· app-faqs
gtb
Premium Member
join:2016-05-16
united state

1 recommendation

gtb to kdex86

Premium Member

to kdex86
said by kdex86:

So if you want both TV and internet service through Xfinity and want to use the Xumo box, you can't outright replace the X1 box and eliminate the $10 TV box rental fee.

Essentially correct. The Xumo box can run the Xfinity Stream app, but that Xfinity Stream app is not the same as being a full TV box. For that to happen Comcast has to offer an app that can be assigned as a "TV Provider" (like Xumo itself, and Charter/Spectrum for those on that provider) which would make the Xfinity experience front and center (essentially turning it into the equivalent to an Xi6). A Comcast employee on one of their forums suggested that that might be available at some time in the future, but was non-committal as to the details. I would not be surprised if the Chief Revenue Officer has concerns about offering a Comcast "TV Provider" app (such an app would seem to be possible with little needed changes to their existing TV app as the Xi6/Flex/XiOne/Xumo all run the same base RDK technology).
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by gtb:

Essentially correct. The Xumo box can run the Xfinity Stream app, but that Xfinity Stream app is not the same as being a full TV box.

But you do realize that all those other streaming devices DO run the streaming app as a "TV box replacement"...so are you saying the Xf Stream app on Xumo, is a different version than on every one of those other streaming devices???

Almighty1
Premium Member
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA

4 edits

2 recommendations

Almighty1 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Click for full size
I have the new Xumo box already which I picked up from the local XFinity Retail store earlier yesterday as the Xfinity Assistant Live Chat Repair representative told me they had 8 in stock, it is physically identical to the Flex XiOne box as it has the same exact model number XiOne-SC (B) Model SCXI11BEIBCO and mines has the same X on the lower right on the top and not Xumo. I upgraded to a new plan yesterday for XFinity Internet for the same $80.00 price with Autopay by check and Paperless billing and still 1.2Gbps but it includes xFiComplete free for 24 months on a 12 month term but price locked for 24 months. My order actually shows it as a Flex but the equipment supplied which I picked up is Xumo in a more plain looking brown box with simple graphics instead of Flex packaging. What's interesting is I couldn't get the XR16 remote working with it after factory resetting te XR16 remote unless XFinity has changed something on the inside or maybe the XR100 remote uses a different remote code than the XR16 but it works with the XR100 remote as I didn't even know it had a different remote. I did not have to pay the $15 activation fee because they basically made it look like I was just going from Flex to Xumo. The $15 activation fee which is one time to sign up for Flex at the end of April 2023 to May 15, 2023 as I was told by the XFinity Social Media Team on chat back then when before there was no activation fee. Wonder if anyone manages to pick up one with the actual Xumo logo on it like the one shown in the OP.

[att=4]

Almighty1

2 edits

1 recommendation

Almighty1 to pclover

Premium Member

to pclover
said by pclover:

DOA

Activation and month fees wtf? It's worse then the Flex.

Relies on Xfinity Stream which lacks 4K, HDR, and DD audio. Entire thing is completely pointless with zero benefit.

Why does this exist?

It's the same as the Flex as since late April 2023 or mid-May 2023, Flex has the same $15 one time activation fee to activate the first device which has free monthly fees, the other Flex boxes are also $5 each after the 1st one per month as it's still in the Flex FAQ... The $5 per box fee after the first one was always there, just the $15 activation fee did not exist before late April 2023 or mid-May 2023.

»www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· overview

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

3 recommendations

andyross to Almighty1

MVM

to Almighty1
Why are so many remotes removing transport controls. That remote only has a basic play/pause. Using only left/right for FF/REW and also skip/review is a bit annoying. The one thing I don't like about the Walmart ONN remote is it has NO transport keys at all.

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

Donut to telcodad

to telcodad
What are the benefits of renting this box vs buying any other streaming box / stick?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by Donut:

What are the benefits of renting this box vs buying any other streaming box / stick?

See: »Re: [Comcast Equip] Comcast internet customers can now get the Xumo Stream Box

I just don't like paying a monthly $5 fee for it. Yeah, that's half the fee that I'm paying for my current STBs, but I'm not paying any monthly fees for the two Rokus that I'm currently using with Xfinity Stream.

Donut
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

Donut

said by telcodad:

said by Donut:

See: »Re: [Comcast Equip] Comcast internet customers can now get the Xumo Stream Box

I just don't like paying a monthly $5 fee for it. Yeah, that's half the fee that I'm paying for my current STBs, but I'm not paying any monthly fees for the two Rokus that I'm currently using with Xfinity Stream.

Had their stream service until they started charging the stupid fees, then we canceled.
lesmikesell
Mount Prospect, IL

lesmikesell

said by Donut:

Had their stream service until they started charging the stupid fees, then we canceled.

Did the channel number buttons work with the stream app?

Donut
Romulus, MI
·Comcast XFINITY
Netgear CM1000
Synology RT2600ac

Donut

said by lesmikesell:

said by Donut:

Did the channel number buttons work with the stream app?

This was back in the day when they first were testing out the service. We were using Roku sticks to access. No number buttons on the Roku remotes.

Almighty1
Premium Member
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

Almighty1 to Donut

Premium Member

to Donut
There isn't any other than they provide hardware for the stuff they support. You cannot install your own apps like you can with a Google Chromecast with Google TV for example. So for the first box since it's free or not really free since there is the $15 you have to pay, it may or may not be worth it.

Per the FAQ at »www.xfinity.com/support/ ··· umo-faqs

"I purchased my Xumo Stream Box from xumo.com. Will my experience be the same?

Lastly, you may notice a few differences with your XR100 Remote, including the addition of app buttons."
Almighty1

Almighty1 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Comcast/Xfinity also sent me another box by FedEx and it is basically what I posted earlier as that is the shipping container and the box still just has the same X logo and not the Xumo logo. I wonder are there really boxes with the Xumo logo on it or is that more for marketing. Wonder what the Charter boxes actually look like. It appears this says the Xumo are just Flex boxes rebranded but how did they make it so it does not ven respond to the older XR16 remotes?

»corporate.comcast.com/pr ··· -venture
Almighty1

Almighty1 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Can the XFinity Stream app actually show everything available on the box or is the app more limited in the content?
Almighty1

1 recommendation

Almighty1 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I forgot to also mention that they had problems trying to get my XFiComplete XB8-T modem working as basically I was able to activate the Xumo box on December 13, 2023 but there were issues with activating the XB8-T as it kept showing the blinking light and basically they said the order was not completed so they keep have to cancel the previous order and recreate it and I noticed in each order, it is listed as something different... They said I can use my Arris S33 v2 until whenever I decide to plug in the XB8-T since the plan was the same except the new plan has the XFiComplete included free for 24 months but ofcourse that was not true as the Arris S33 v2 went to the wall garden on December 14, 2023 at approximately 5PM Pacific Time so I basically used XFinity Assistant's Live Chat to talk to various people in the repair department in India.

So the way it showed up for the order approval and confirmation is as follows:
Order 1:
Plan: GIGABIT EXTRA
GIGABIT EXTRA
XFINITY FLEX

Order 2:
Plan: GIGABIT EXTRA XFINITY FLEX
GIGABIT EXTRA
XFINITY FLEX

Order 3:
Plan: GIGABIT EXTRA XUMO
GIGABIT EXTRA
XUMO

Order 4:
GIGABIT EXTRA
XFINITY FLEX

Order 5:
Plan: GIGABIT EXTRA XUMO
GIGABIT EXTRA
XUMO

Order 6:
GIGABIT EXTRA
XFINITY FLEX

And finally the 6th order was what got the X8-T working... So it seems the Flex and the Xumo are same thing currently as far as their system is concerned...

Anon335a6
@68.45.176.x

1 recommendation

Anon335a6 to Almighty1

Anon

to Almighty1
The Stream app is pretty much a replacement for the X1 box. It shows all my channels I subscribe to and even has access to the Xfinity On Demand library. Cloud DVR also works too. Only downside is the slight learning curve with the controls. I only use streaming with my service. I returned all my equipment and went all IP.

Now I did buy a Xumo box and it was delivered today. Upon installation the Stream app works just like my Roku, except I cannot set Xfinity has my Preferred Video Service (you can with Spectrum) which means the Stream app is not more deeply integrated in the UI like it would be if you got the Xumo box from Xfinity. I sure that changes.