Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

1 recommendation

dslwanter to flyoffacliff

Premium Member

to flyoffacliff

Re: FTTH but RF cable inside?

said by flyoffacliff:

The current DOCSIS standards can support 1Gbps upload with the right configuration and equipment which will be plenty until at least 2030, and that's the route the big companies like Comcast have been taking.

Interesting that Armstrong is deploying GPON. It's pretty outdated at this point and now they're going to have to swap all the CPE as customers upgrade. I am on Verizon FiOS, and they are slowly phasing GPON OUT over the next 5 to 10 years, skipping XGSPON, and jumping straight to NGPON2, which is already available in certain areas.

I think it's more about plant maintenance than it is about Docsis. Sure, they could deploy that technology, but at what cost to continue maintaining the hfc plant?
dslwanter

dslwanter to flyoffacliff

Premium Member

to flyoffacliff
said by flyoffacliff:

Why is CAT 6/6A a dumpster fire? I've never had a problem with it at multigig speeds myself. It's just hard to terminate correctly.

Its no harder than 5 or 5e. I wired my entire house during framing with 6. Anyone can do it with proper understanding. Easily future proof to 10gbe.
flyoffacliff
join:2017-03-01

flyoffacliff

said by dslwanter:

said by flyoffacliff:

Why is CAT 6/6A a dumpster fire? I've never had a problem with it at multigig speeds myself. It's just hard to terminate correctly.

Its no harder than 5 or 5e. I wired my entire house during framing with 6. Anyone can do it with proper understanding. Easily future proof to 10gbe.

6a is definitely a bit trickier than 5/5e in my experience because the pairs are twisted so tightly together it's difficult to get them fully separated at the edge of the jacket sometimes. It's still doable, just requires a bit of extra patience and cursing. The gel outdoor cable is hardest, and the plenum cable without a spleen is easiest. It's removed to improve the fire burning properties of the cable, which makes it easier to terminate, but it's easier to damage the cable when pulling it because it tends to kink up.
flyoffacliff

flyoffacliff to dslwanter

to dslwanter
That's true. I guess they're just used to it because they've been doing it for many years.

I like how they put the fiber in the ground in hand holes, instead of those ugly copper pedestals that always get knocked over and broken.
said by dslwanter:

said by flyoffacliff:

The current DOCSIS standards can support 1Gbps upload with the right configuration and equipment which will be plenty until at least 2030, and that's the route the big companies like Comcast have been taking.

Interesting that Armstrong is deploying GPON. It's pretty outdated at this point and now they're going to have to swap all the CPE as customers upgrade. I am on Verizon FiOS, and they are slowly phasing GPON OUT over the next 5 to 10 years, skipping XGSPON, and jumping straight to NGPON2, which is already available in certain areas.

I think it's more about plant maintenance than it is about Docsis. Sure, they could deploy that technology, but at what cost to continue maintaining the hfc plant?

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

1 edit

dslwanter

Premium Member

They replaced our copper peds with plastic ones for fiber.

6 is definitly more tough to work with, 6a probably even more so. Still have to be careful, like you said, with routing/pulling/bending when running.

I think Armstrong was at the crossroad of going pon or major hfc plant upgrades to efficiently support 3.1, 4 and beyond.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

TAZ to flyoffacliff

to flyoffacliff
said by flyoffacliff:

Comcast is taking that route because they're desperate to maintain the fiction for their shareholders that the HFC plant isn't essentially worthless. We already saw this play out with DSL 10 years ago (bonding, vectoring, phantom, G.fast, and probably other things I'm forgetting were supposed to save the day).
TAZ

TAZ to flyoffacliff

to flyoffacliff
said by flyoffacliff:

The 10GBASE-T and related PHYs are more complex, draw more power, have slightly higher latency (admittedly not really relevant for the home/office network use case), and can't take advantage of the volumes of the datacenter market because nobody there ever used it for the aforementioned reasons.

6a in particular is also harder to work with, as you note, and bulkier.
Agent 86
join:2021-03-01

Agent 86

said by TAZ:

said by flyoffacliff:

The 10GBASE-T and related PHYs are more complex, draw more power, have slightly higher latency (admittedly not really relevant for the home/office network use case), and can't take advantage of the volumes of the datacenter market because nobody there ever used it for the aforementioned reasons.

6a in particular is also harder to work with, as you note, and bulkier.

10G was originally supposed to work over cat5...when that proved impossible, they unfortunately didn't change course. It's fine now that they've added 2.5G/5G speeds.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to TAZ

to TAZ
said by TAZ:

Comcast is taking that route because they're desperate to maintain the fiction for their shareholders that the HFC plant isn't essentially worthless. We already saw this play out with DSL 10 years ago (bonding, vectoring, phantom, G.fast, and probably other things I'm forgetting were supposed to save the day).

The difference with twisted pair copper vs coax though, is Coax they'll be able to use up to 3GHz on the coax line, whereas xDSL is limited to ~30-50MHz total if they plan to go more than 250' or so from the DSLAM.

I'm betting Comcast eventually ends up Node+0, using ~3GHz on the coax line with D4, and then eventually swapping the internal node modules to NGPON2 as the need arises - that's the selling point of the system they're installing now.

It's now just "throw up the fiber, and swap a module" and the node becomes the Fiber distro point for said neighborhood when it's time.

I've seen this RFoG setup on Cox in Phoenix too, but it was typically just to run legacy cable boxes. The internet was pass through to an actual ONT inside with 940/940 speed.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to TAZ

to TAZ
Means comcast will be doing midsplit