join:2003-11-12
Nowhere
·Armstrong

1 edit

3 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Countdown has begun!

The countdown for leaving Strongarm has begun!

Today our local fiber competitor sent me an email saying I can sign up for service. I called and scheduled my install for 11/30. They will run the fiber drop from the junction box to my house before 11/30 after the utilities are marked.

1 Gb/1 Gb, no caps, $99 and change.

I will overlap services for a while to make sure we have service.

Woo hoo!

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

2 edits

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by OSIU:

The countdown for leaving Strongarm has begun!

Today our local fiber competitor sent me an email saying I can sign up for service. I called and scheduled my install for 11/30. They will run the fiber drop from the junction box to my house before 11/30 after the utilities are marked.

1 Gb/1 Gb, no caps, $99 and change.

I will overlap services for a while to make sure we have service.

Woo hoo!

Pure excellence. The humbling begins, can't wait to see Armstrong become the vendor in the mall begging you to try their lotion. Armstrong's panic build is begining in our development tomorrow, utility flags are in the ground, at&t as well. Not sure what the user base is for your local fiber, but I wonder if a new forum is worthy or at least a post of the install and setup in the fiber optic forum. Can't wait to check it out. I hope you eventually see 1gbps closer to $80.

Anon76ce7
@135.148.232.x

Anon76ce7 to OSIU

Anon

to OSIU
One would hope they would have the underground lines marked before they decided to go digging around.

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere
·Armstrong

1 recommendation

OSIU to dslwanter

Premium Member

to dslwanter
The user base of the local fiber optic is fairly small. They just hit 1000 subscribers over the summer. They started with a smaller village south of us last year and have been installing over the summer around our "city" (population 26k). Not sure if there would be enough interest for a forum on here. From what I can tell, there are 3 types of people around here and it will be interesting to see the distribution of what provider people take:
Group 1 are people sick of Strongarm and their monopolistic attitude
Group 2 those that don't care about price and just want it to work;
Group 3 are the (few) Strongarm loyalists

As for pricing, it is a little high for Gig, but that is what the 2 competitors have their prices at. Strongarm just a few days ago marketed 3 Gig on fiber for $150. The local provider has indicated there won't be price increases for at least 20 years.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

2 edits

dslwanter

Premium Member

Well there's always the fiber forum. Let me know how it goes. Curious on the ont and gateway. You got that right on the groups, particularly the loyalists, hell we got one here .

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere

OSIU

Premium Member

I will let you know how the install goes and what equipment I get.
kdhamann
join:2003-11-08
Medina, OH

kdhamann

Thank you! Could you post a speed test result also? I got the email also.

I am debating the hassle of switching with 1gig and a VOIP phone with Strongarm. The internet would be painless, but the phone would take a little legwork.

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere
·Armstrong

1 edit

OSIU

Premium Member

Utilities were marked on 11/16. Now the run to the house should be installed soon, my guess Monday - Wednesday next week, based upon the information provided when calling for service. Line from junction box to the house would be run 3-5 days prior to install date of 11/30.

Edit:

Just received a voicemail from a Denver, CO area code (720) trying to schedule my fiber install (presumably run from box to house). Scheduled it for Sunday afternoon.
OSIU

2 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Fiber was run through conduit from optical terminal down the road to the house this afternoon. No connections were made, the installer on 11/30 will do that. Took 2 guys about 1 hr. More to come on 11/30.
OSIU

2 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Glanced outside this afternoon and another tech was here. Had I not looked outside, I wouldn't have known he was here. He wasn't here 15 minutes.
Apparently he connected the fiber to the system down the street and installed the Medina Fiber box on the side of the house and brought the fiber inside it. Wednesday afternoon it should be live!

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by OSIU:

Glanced outside this afternoon and another tech was here. Had I not looked outside, I wouldn't have known he was here. He wasn't here 15 minutes.
Apparently he connected the fiber to the system down the street and installed the Medina Fiber box on the side of the house and brought the fiber inside it. Wednesday afternoon it should be live!

That's excellent. Congratulations on your liberation!

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere
·Armstrong

1 recommendation

OSIU

Premium Member

Woo hoo! 2nd fiber connection is alive and well!

Took the tech about an hour for the install. I had 2 choices: an ONT and their older router or ONTless with their new router built in. I chose the ONTless router and I am glad I did. WiFi range is phenomenal. One router is better than 2 Plume pods.

The ONT/Router that I was given is the Calix GigaSpire Blast u6x GS4227.

I will post a speed test shortly.

Armstrong will be gone in less than 2 weeks......
OSIU

2 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Click for full size
Router speed test results

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

I envy thy. Beautiful latency as well. Congratulations!!!
kdhamann
join:2003-11-08
Medina, OH

kdhamann to OSIU

to OSIU
Awesome!

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere
·Armstrong

2 edits

3 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Thus far I haven't noticed any down time. My RIPE Probe (»atlas.ripe.net/probes/) hasn't seen an outage either. Speed tests have been similar to the one I posted earlier.

I received a call yesterday checking in on my service and wanting to know if there were any questions I had. I didn't answer, they left a voicemail.

The App is pretty useful, once you figure out its peculiarities.

Going to cancel Strongarm tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they say....
OSIU

3 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Well, I had a little time at lunch today and it is done. I will officially no longer be a Strongarm customer effective tomorrow.

They are sending me a shipping label for the ONT, power cord, and 2 Plume Pods.

They offered to knock $15/mo off my bill for 6 months to keep me, but I declined.

I may lurk in the forum, but you probably won't hear much out of me anymore.

Good luck everyone!

O

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by OSIU:

Well, I had a little time at lunch today and it is done. I will officially no longer be a Strongarm customer effective tomorrow.

They are sending me a shipping label for the ONT, power cord, and 2 Plume Pods.

They offered to knock $15/mo off my bill for 6 months to keep me, but I declined.

I may lurk in the forum, but you probably won't hear much out of me anymore.

Good luck everyone!

O

I'm surprised they're giving you the option to ship back. Here they make you drop off equipment at the local office when you cancel. Must be a way of hoping you come back.

OSIU
Premium Member
Nowhere

OSIU

Premium Member

They did try to get me to drop it off, but it is only open 8 AM - 5 PM M-F and I am at work then. Then they gave me the option to ship it.
OSIU

4 recommendations

OSIU

Premium Member

Click for full size
One more for you...... Check out the ad I saw this morning! LOL!

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter to OSIU

Premium Member

to OSIU
said by OSIU:

They did try to get me to drop it off, but it is only open 8 AM - 5 PM M-F and I am at work then. Then they gave me the option to ship it.

Good to know. Our local office is 25-30 mins away so an hour roundtrip factoring in having to go in and deal with them. I know people that have had to take off work, just to make the special trip. I know several that have moved to AT&T as soon as they could, and have burned a vacation day for the AT&T install and then run their modem to North Lima lol.
Ctown Clowns
join:2016-02-07
Campbell, OH

2 recommendations

Ctown Clowns to OSIU

to OSIU
OMG! That is so GLORIOUS!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Strongarm....reading that made me choke on my water! I haven't even lurked in these forums for at least the last 4 years because I'm still rocking and getting by with the AT&T ZTE Mobely for $20 a month. I never thought I'd get comfortable using around 150GB - 300GB a month but I have.

I had my last senior relative pass away in July of '21 and the only silver lining for me when losing her was that we get to cut Strongarm out of ALL areas of my life, personal, and for the loved ones.
AT&T still only offering 768Kbps here. That's amazing they're allowed to get away with marketing that this speed is good enough for light email and social media. Maybe social media in the MySpace days of 2005 or something. What a joke!

Your holidays will be grand!