Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Nowhere
·Armstrong

OSIU to dslwanter

Premium Member

to dslwanter

Re: Armstrong doing away with caps!

The competitor claims that their product is a dedicated line back to the headend whereas with Strongarm you "share" capacity with your neighbor. At some point it is all shared, which is why I am not buying their "dedicated" line marketing spiel. Time will tell and we will see if the market agrees....

edit: grammar

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP

1 recommendation

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by OSIU:

The competitor claims that their product is a dedicated line back to the headend whereas with Strongarm you "share" capacity with your neighbor. At some point it is all shared, which is why I am not buying their "dedicated" line marketing spiel. Time will tell and we will see if the market agrees....

edit: grammar

Yup, telcos used to do the same thing when ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL was relevant. Dedicated between the modem and DSLAM, but then it's all shared after the DSLAM. They marketed it as such as a competitor to DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. Once 3.0 came along it was irrelevant.
kirk1233
join:2003-08-15
Gibsonia, PA
·Armstrong

kirk1233

The local LEC here has finally focused a bit on fiber. For the past few years any new housing developments got fiber. They now have started to retrofit larger communities with underground utilities, but local reviews indicate that although they advertise gig symmetrical, a lot of their subscribers are seeing much less speed, in some cases 300. Armstrong greatly outperforms them from the perspective of most people who have had both. Whether copper or fiber into the home Armstrong really seems to put a lot more focus into a quality product delivered (less homes sharing the same bottleneck points) with effective support than any other provider... (except maybe other smaller ones)

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

dslwanter to kirk1233

Premium Member

to kirk1233
Went to check this morning to see if anything changed with the cap, not sure if monopoly is doing a big website update today, but half the site is throwing a runtime error.

OSIU
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Nowhere

OSIU

Premium Member

Not sure if they are updating anything, it sounds like it is the usual going on with Strongarm's website. I have always found it slow and buggy......
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

1 edit

comp to kirk1233

Premium Member

to kirk1233
While everyone is having there GPON hard on my area was upgraded to Docsis 3.1 Tuesday night. Modem rebooted and lights now indicated in 3.1 mode
comp

2 edits

comp to kirk1233

Premium Member

to kirk1233

Anon02799
@142.114.7.x

1 recommendation

Anon02799 to comp

Anon

to comp
said by comp:

Yeh I honestly don’t expect Armstrong to compete with ATT. What usually happens is people switch to ATT and within a few months have a problem then deal with there support and switch back Just got to wait it out lol I mean hell they drove Directv into the ground faster then anyone could have predicted

That's a pretty clueless consumer, but not surprising nowadays.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 edit

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by Anon02799 :

said by comp:

Yeh I honestly don’t expect Armstrong to compete with ATT. What usually happens is people switch to ATT and within a few months have a problem then deal with there support and switch back Just got to wait it out lol I mean hell they drove Directv into the ground faster then anyone could have predicted

yeah it was a pretty clueless statement too. I don't even argue it anymore I just let it sit and fester itself. All one has to do is visit the at&t forum on this board and realize that's not true in the least bit. Plus, traditional tv service is a dying industry.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

said by dslwanter:

said by Anon02799 :

said by comp:

yeah it was a pretty clueless statement too. I don't even argue it anymore I just let it sit and fester itself. All one has to do is visit the at&t forum on this board and realize that's not true in the least bit. Plus, traditional tv service is a dying industry.

Ah yes. Because the dslreports forum is the great indicator of frustration. Armstrong covers millions of people and there is what 10 of us that post here

So while we are on the subject of clueless statements by clueless people….

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH
·Armstrong
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

dslwanter

Premium Member

said by comp:

Ah yes. Because the dslreports forum is the great indicator of frustration. Armstrong covers millions of people and there is what 10 of us that post here

So while we are on the subject of clueless statements by clueless people….

speaking of clueless, the statement said the at&t forum, not Armstrong.

L0nerism
join:2015-02-05
Connellsville, PA
ARRIS SB8200
(Software) RouterOS
EnGenius EWS357AP

1 edit

L0nerism to kirk1233

to kirk1233
Only a year late, but I discovered tonight that there's now no caps here in the Connellsville area. I also discovered that I could downgrade services directly on the site without having to contact support. Very convenient.

dslwanter
22 years on this site
Premium Member
Mineral Ridge, OH

3 recommendations

dslwanter

Premium Member

It's just a miracle how the existing network can suddenly support everyone without caps. Must have some sort of super power.
dslwanter

4 edits

2 recommendations

dslwanter to L0nerism

Premium Member

to L0nerism
And $76 for zoom is highway robbery. Thanks to AT&T rapidly building out fiber in this area, I was offered to upgrade to zoom extreme at my grandfathered price of $68.95. I'm betting there's not much of a fiber competitor threat over in your area yet. Everything we've said for years is proving true:

1. The non-sense data caps
2. Pricing
3. Phase out of traditional TV to Streaming
4. Behavioral changes responding to competition
5. The panic to build out of fiber in areas of competition as fast as possible.

What was going to be a gradual buildout through 2030 has become a hurry up on the Boardman system, which literally started the same month as AT&T's announcement last March. But now they can't splice fast enough as AT&T is turning up 250 homes at a time pfp by pfp, because they don't splice each terminal with flexnapp, it is literally plugin and go once the pfp goes live. Armstrong is using some Corning products, so I'm not sure why they went this route. Probably since the Adtran system resides at the headend and not distributed like the Corning flexnapp system.

AT&T is offering a $20 discount on 1gbps via social media, that will make it tempting to switch at $60/mo.

L0nerism
join:2015-02-05
Connellsville, PA
ARRIS SB8200
(Software) RouterOS
EnGenius EWS357AP

1 recommendation

L0nerism

You are correct on the no fiber competitor comment here in town with Verizon DSL as the other option. Though I guess they would have competition up the mountain with Laurel Highlands Telephone Company, which does serve fiber in pretty much the middle of nowhere.
ChuckX192
join:2022-11-08
Youngstown, OH

1 recommendation

ChuckX192 to kirk1233

to kirk1233
Yeah I got a post card in the mail about last week saying Armstrong was removing data caps. Still waiting for my end of either fiber rollout here in Boardman/Canfield/Cornersburg