Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

New Gateway - Pace 5268AC 4X4 AC 5 GHz(1700 Mbps)/ 2x2 N 2.4 GHz(300 Mbps)

Click for full size
I'm sort of late on this one(I haven't been keeping track lately)

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· GR5200AC

Not sure if all 4 antennas will be used for 2.4 GHz. I didn't really have time to look, I sort of rushed here lol. Hopefully someone will figure it out.
Darknessfall

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Re: New Gateway - Pace 5268AC 4X4 N and AC

Update:

I looked a little more and it seems to have 6 antennas. 4 for 5 GHz and 2 for 2.4 GHz(both bands don't share antennas). This really looks like a wireless access point replacement considering it has 4 5 GHz streams.

I wonder if this will allow VDSL over coax like the other Pace/2wire gateways.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

weaseled386 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall

Re: New Gateway - Pace 5268AC 4X4 AC 5 GHz(1700 Mbps)/ 2x2 N 2.4 GHz(300 Mbps)

It has a HomePNA indicator on the front.. so should be ok.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

1 recommendation

Paralel

Doesn't HomePNA mean just that, it supports HomePNA, that doesn't necessarily mean it will allow one to use the coax connection for the VDSL signal.

My NVG589 does HomePNA, but does not allow the coax to be used for the VDSL signal.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Paralel:

Doesn't HomePNA mean just that, it supports HomePNA, that doesn't necessarily mean it will allow one to use the coax connection for the VDSL signal.

My NVG589 does HomePNA, but does not allow the coax to be used for the VDSL signal.

I wish there was a manual to tell. I really don't want to go through a whole new wiring setup just to get a new gateway :/.

I wonder if these will be launched to pretty much anyone. I say that since the 4x4 hinting towards wireless access point replacement could mean that they just plop these AC units down anywhere they're putting NVG589s for customers who also have wireless receivers. Wouldn't it be cheaper to supply one unit?
Paralel
Michigan, US

1 recommendation

Paralel

Since coax can't do bonded pair, and ATT is making a concerted effort to move away from coax full stop, it would make sense that they wouldn't want to allow coax to be used for VDSL input on new models. However, it does suck for people that use coax for their VDSL signals.

It seems like it would be cheaper to just have one unit, but ATT has never subscribed to that idea for some unknown reason. I'm sure there is probably a supply chain reason for it, or, considering the company we're discussing, they could just be doing it because they enjoy being inefficient and throwing money away (which would surprise absolutely no one).
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

1 recommendation

coryw

I know that some of the old 2wire/pace gateways (might only be the 3800 and 3801) claim to do VDSL2 over coax.

Is this a common setup on U-Verse? I would think that HPNA or MoCA over the coax could be a much more common setup, much like in Verizon FiOS deployments where Verizon was lazy and did not run Ethernet from the ONT to the ActionTec router, and said router automatically detects the source of the "Internet."

It would be pretty interesting if they are doing this, has anybody seen any reason why?
coryw

1 recommendation

coryw to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
The NVG599 and this device are pretty neat finds.

Is there a particular set of search strings or options you're using to find this, or a way to browse recent entries? It would be an interesting diversion (at the very least) to be able to browse the listings for various providers/device manufacturers, etc.
Paralel
Michigan, US

1 recommendation

Paralel

The only issue with perusing the FCC database is that we never know which model ATT will actually decide to deploy. We just have to be pleasantly surprised when it happens.

Before the NVG589 hit the scene most of us were expecting one of several different 2wire/Pace models instead.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

3 edits

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Paralel:

The only issue with perusing the FCC database is that we never know which model ATT will actually decide to deploy. We just have to be pleasantly surprised when it happens.

Before the NVG589 hit the scene most of us were expecting one of several different 2wire/Pace models instead.

Yeah, the 5031NV came later and the 5168NV is only scattered around. The NVG599 in my opinion, won't be seen for a while. If either one of them had a chance to be deployed, I would say the Pace 5268AC. Mainly because these are probably wireless access point replacement gateways and the Pace matches the second batch of AT&T WAPs that do 4x4 streams.

I actually found two+ gateways for Comcast that I haven't heard much about at all.

@coryw

We're currently on a coax install on the 3801(only the 3801/3800 allow VDSL2+ over coax). The one coax cable receives the VDSL2+ signal and sends out HPNA information. It's not bad at all. We can go days without any sort of corrected blocks.

Edit: Has anyone else looked at how tall this thing is? It looks even bigger than the NVG599. About 7 inches long and 11 inches high.
Darknessfall

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
Imagine having this huge thing lol? It looks a lot bigger from the side shot. Guess it's so big because of all of its antennas.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

1 recommendation

xsbell to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
The HPNA port is for connecting STBs only, it has nothing to do with VDSL.

We have a similar device up here that's already in the field but it's made by Sagemcom (FAST5250 aka HomeHub 2000), it does pair bonding, and also has two VOIP ports. It still doesn't replace the Motorola, now Arris, VAPs (video access points) that connect the wireless STBs though.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by xsbell:

The HPNA port is for connecting STBs only, it has nothing to do with VDSL.

We have a similar device up here that's already in the field but it's made by Sagemcom (FAST5250 aka HomeHub 2000), it does pair bonding, and also has two VOIP ports. It still doesn't replace the Motorola, now Arris, VAPs (video access points) that connect the wireless STBs though.

If it follows the path of the past 2Wire triple play gateways, the coax port would be functional for both VDSL2 and HPNA. If it follows the NVG589, it'll only function as a HPNA connector.

The F@ST5250 is very different compared to this gateway. That gateway only has 3 antennas shared by both bands. This gateway has 6, 2 for 2.4 GHz and 4 for 5 GHz. There is no way they would put so many more antennas/streams on 5 GHz if they weren't going to use it for video. If they don't use it for WAP replacements, it'll be a huge surprise. They're giving "ok" 2.4 GHz performance for customer use and are probably dedicating so much power into 5 GHz for video as the current WAPs are 4x4. I doubt AT&T would invest so much money into equipment with lots of power dedicated to 5 GHz when most of their customers would be using 2.4 GHz. Considering they made us suffer with G gear for years, they want to supply us the minimum which is why it's only 300 Mbps 2 stream on 2.4 GHz. It would be very anti-AT&T if they launch these and don't use them for wireless receivers. Most consumer devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 at most. AT&T doesn't throw money at Pace for fancy 4x4 AC antenna designs for nothing.
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

I agree with Darknessfall's assessment of the situation.
premtrekker
join:2014-06-23
canada

1 recommendation

premtrekker to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Just ran out of 589s and are being told we won't be getting more because 599s are coming in. We are supposed to use Inids till they come...
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

Well, I guess that settles that.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Updates:

1) Since the original post, this device has been tested by the FCC for use on DFS channels which pretty much guarantees that it'll be used for wireless receivers.
2) The battery for this device is now available at:
»www.paceshop.com/shop/pr ··· -battery

I have not seen the NVG599 being allowed to use DFS channels yet which might mean that they may delay it unless they just aren't bothering to get it tested again.
Paralel
Michigan, US

1 recommendation

Paralel

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

AT&T has published replacement/install guides for this model recently:
»www.att.com/media/att/20 ··· oice.pdf

»www.att.com/media/att/20 ··· oice.pdf

Junior
@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

Junior

Anon

You rock Man, thanks for the update.

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

1 recommendation

Davy49 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Hi All,
I'm currently using using the Motorola NVG589 gateway, I'm on the ' Power-45 Mbps ' connection speed..I had this gateway installed in a central location when I had my U-verse service's ( I have TV, Digital Phone, & of course Internet ) service's installed. In order for me to get 'adequate ' wifi signal strength through most area's of our home, I had to place the AT&T Gateway on top of a media storage rack that's approx. 5 feet high. Yesterday @ work ( a Lowe's store near Dallas, TX ), I helped a customer in my dept. ( Electrical )..while talking with him, I noticed he was wearing a AT&T U-verse jacket. I asked him if he was an installer for U-verse, he said yes..one thing led to another, and after a minute or two I informed him about my service's @ my home. I told him that I had the Motorola NVG589 Gateway, with the 'Power' option installed. I informed him that to get 'adequate' wifi signal strength in our home I had to place the gateway in a elevated location..like I mentioned previously. I also asked him if there were any newer gateway's that were currently being offered / installed currently..he mentioned two of them, one of which is the subject line of this post: ( Pace 5268AC Gateway ), he told me the wifi signal on this gateway is much better on this newer gateway, and speed has also been improved using it. He suggested I obtain one of these and that he felt I would be MUCH happier with my overall service. Is anyone in here actually using one of these newer gateways..and if so are you satisfied with it ? I do have bonded pair setup in our home.
Thanks,
David
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel

The consensus is that it is indeed a better router and you should try to obtain one if possible.

Davy49
Brandon, MS

1 recommendation

Davy49

Hi Paralel,
I've been having a conversation via Twitter via ATTCares @ATTCares, they are going to schedule a tech.visit to bring me one. When I asked about a charge for the visit, I was told it would be @ the technicians discretion. Now I'm having second thoughts about getting one, I'm on a 'fixed' budget.
Thanks,
David
Paralel
Michigan, US

1 recommendation

Paralel

Nah, I've never been charged for a gateway swap. You only pay if you intentionally damaged your last router.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Mr Fel to Davy49

Premium Member

to Davy49
Just be nice to the tech, they will (usually) be more agreeable with nice customers.
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

1 recommendation

muegen to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Old, but for those that were wondering about the VDSL over HPNA not happening and why. The VDSL (w/ 17MHz enabled) and HPNA frequency ranges would overlap if they allowed VDSL over coax.

Davy49
Brandon, MS

1 recommendation

Davy49 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Hi All,
I placed a phone call to the AT&T U-verse technician who came to our home and got all of our service's up & running when we originally got U-verse installed. Before he left our home that day, he gave me a satisfaction survey paper with both his work # & his personal cell # on it. Also, the name & phone # of his supervisor on it, he told me to give him a call if I needed to. When I talked to him late this afternoon, he said I WOULD be better off with the Pace 5268AC gateway..hopefully, he will be the one to come to our home in the morning. The only bad part of the deal is my current gateway does have a backup battery installed in it..it was given to me by the tech.I'm talking about in this post.
David
theteamaster
join:2006-06-05
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

theteamaster to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
I finally got my hands on a 5268 and man they're not small at all. There is a definite improvement on the wireless side but the admin interface is a downgrade from the 589. It takes quite some time before loading a page. I also had some problems with my pings spiking when I'm only using about 3Mbps (45/6) and TV dropping with a sign saying Uverse has lost signal.

But yeah, if you can get your hands on it, I would go for it. But be prepared for the new tech woes. Still trying to rule out defective gateway or bugs in the firmware. There was no charge for the exchange, but it was a family friend so your mileage might vary. I haven't heard anyone get charged for a gateway swap because the household has a tech nerd. :P
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

1 recommendation

muegen

My only tech woe with the 5268 is the never ending startup time.

Davy49
Brandon, MS

1 recommendation

Davy49 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Hi All,
Well..the AT&T tech. showed up around 9 a.m. c.s.t., he was VERY cordial & knowledgeable. Actually, he turns out to be one of my customer's @ the local Lowe's where I work. he did some line testing, went outside to the network interface box, did some housekeeping out there. came back inside and installed a new data plate where the green data cable plugs in. Installed the new Pace 5268AC gateway, even though from all the research I've done on it shows that it's got more antenna's, and supposed to emit a better wifi signal, I really don't see much difference in it. At least I got my wish..and we enjoyed visiting with each other. I still feel sorry for him and his family..a short time ago his house got struck by lighting. Now I'm really wondering if I wasted everyone's time.
David