Original topic:

TV and Samsung Ecosystem

(Topic created on: 02-17-2024 05:50 AM)
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Options
Home Living
Wanted to share experience on getting a TV if you are interested in IoT and samsung ecosystem, topping up some function with Google Home

I recently bought a non-Samsung TV to replace my spoilt Samsung TV.

on the samsung tv, i used to control TV through Google Home and SmartThing apps.

and boy i missed all these functions now, given that i am not using samsung branded tv

for example,

i am able to use voice command on Home or Bixby to turn on TV (now on non-Samsung tv i can only turn off), turn off, adjusting volume.

All i needed to do was to command out loud to all my smart device (and google assistant-powered 3rd party speaker inclusive) 

"hey google - turn off tv, - adjust tv volume to 10, play tv, - pause tv (while in TV's YouTube apps)

"hi bixby, turn on TV" and blah blah

rushing out from your house but forgot to turn off tv. the ecosystem allow users to use mobile data to turn off.. among others such as also to adjust all tv settings through SmartThings apps except turning on (yes you read it right, using mobile data.. that means if you are physically away from your TV, one can remotely control the tv including turning off)

controlling your tv through samsung smart watch by saying bixby command to jt.

buying a non-samsung tv was a wrong choice for me.. i can only use WiFi (same wifi to tv too) to the brand's apps on my mobile phone to toggle selection and feeling very handicapped as to what i could do if i didn't switch out from Samsung TV.

7 Comments
JP19
Expert Level 3
Home Living
Hey jamesbob, didn't know that Samsung TV has such an ecosystem. For me, I can't buy a Samsung TV, cos my whole family using iPhone except me. Haha.
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Home Living
thanks for the compliement. i only discovered the better range of such benefits due to my infant and the watch5 given to consumers for 2nd wave s23 series purchase. looking after them can be a chores and i tapped along voice command and it works so well.

the best one was to turn off tv through SmartThings apps while i my family hastily got onto taxi and it turned off (i have cctv at home, so i was able to see the result)
JP19
Expert Level 3
Home Living
Ah.. the perks of having Samsung phone, Samsung smartwatch and Samsung TV, all connected using the same platform (SmartThings). 😊
0 Likes
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Home Living
anyway, the better if you are the only samsung user because there is no Apple TV (as in the tv hardware). it is better for you to be in control.. what they see is juat a tv, but what you see is the range of benefits, conveniences. and you get to sign in the tv's samsung acct under you, without anyone snatching the sign-in rights with you. haha
JP19
Expert Level 3
Home Living
I see.. haha.. but later, end up the TV cost I have to bear the full cost if I am the only one who can have the whole benefits lol.. 😂
jamesbob
Active Level 7
Home Living
hahaha yes you are right. i missed out this part.. nowadays TV are not cheap because samsung is a branded tv ..
JP19
Expert Level 3
Home Living
Especially the top tier one.