Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G screen unresponsive after OneUI Update 6.1

(Topic created on: 05-22-2024 05:42 PM)
Duy1
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

So after being proactive and updating my phone early to Samsung's latest OneUI patch, I was rewarded with my screen becoming unresponsive. Mind you, the phone is still completely functional, it connects to Wi-Fi and has background processes active. However, the screen will not react to my touches. I am stuck on my lock screen, with no ability to interact with my phone, other than holding the side buttons. As a side note, I am not using a screen shield or anything that would obstruct my finger from my phone screen. It was working fine before the update. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, updating from OneUI 6.0 to 6.1.

I had talked to Samsung Care support, who was of little help in trying to troubleshoot the issue.

I have managed factory reset the phone through the android safe mode (the menu you get from turning the phone off and back on while holding the power and volume keys).

But now my phone sits on startup screen, still unresponsive as earlier. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

58 Comments
Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, sorry to hear your touch screen is not responding. We appreciate your efforts in performing the troubleshooting steps.

Please Force Reboot since your device is stuck on the boot screen, you will need to force restart it.

To force restart, press and hold the "Volume Down" and "Power" buttons together simultaneously for about 10-20 seconds until the device vibrates and restarts. This will force a reboot and may help break the boot loop.

biffparcells
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hi Helenna-

As you can see, many have tried your suggested fix to no avail. There are countless threads and comments on this forum as well as reddit and other internet forums. This is clearly a major problem directly associated with the 6.1 update that Samsung is choosing not to respond to. My phone worked fine last night and after it auto-updated overnight, the screen no longer responds to touch. This is not an issue with after-market screens as I recently purchased this phone new in box. Samsung needs to fix this or find a way for users to revert this system update. This has clearly been going on for over a month with no comment by Samsung.

angryalex
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Hi Helena,

This is disgusting! Where is the action from Samsung. We all have the exact same issue because we trusted a Samsung software upgrade! Fix or replace our phones immediately!! Apple would never ever treat its customers like this! Reprehensible behaviour!! This has dragged on for too long!! Act now!!!!!!

RussRockett
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have exactly the same issue. Rebooting didn't work.

I have been able to use a Bluetooth mouse on the screen, but still unable to use the touchscreen. 

0 Likes
Samsung_VLCWKwE
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Connecting a USB hub to the phone and plugging in a wired mouse also works to control the phone, but I still hàven't found a fix for the screen issue on my S21 ultra

Helenna
Options
Galaxy S

Hi RussRockett, we are sorry to hear this issue from you. 

• If a screen protector or third-party accessory is installed, the touch screen may not function properly. In particular, it may not work well if there is dust or air under the protector, or if there are two or more protectors attached to the screen.
  • If your charger is damaged, it may not supply power to your device, which may cause the touch screen to malfunction. In this case, use a different, undamaged charger to prevent this issue from occurring. It is also a good idea to avoid using the touch screen while charging the device.
  • When using the full screen gesture function, touch input may not be possible because touch is recognized as a gesture. To prevent this from happening, disable the full screen gesture function. Open Settings, tap Display, and then tap Navigation bar. Press the buttons to disable full screen gestures.
  • Disable touch sensitivity.

If nothing works as a last resort, please perform backup and factory reset the device by following the steps in the given links.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-phone-back-up-and-restore-data/

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/galaxy-phone-perform-a-factory-reset/

If the troubleshooting is not helpful, the phone will need to be evaluated by a certified technician. Please visit a Samsung authorized service center to have your device inspected in person, to get it fixed.

To know the nearest Samsung authorized service center, please visit the link given below.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/service-center/ 

Thank you. 

0 Likes
AladdinM
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I have a new S21 Ultra that i bought from Dubai and after using it for 2 weeks and once I updated the SW to 6.1 it blocked the touch screen.. I did all the steps with no success .. I then visited the authorized service center and they advised that I should replace the screen !!! Plz help ...

Scartownlady
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

How are we supposed to perform a factory reset if our touch screen doesn't work?

The only thing your certified technician offered is to replace the screen at a cost of almost $500!!!! 

Galaxy S

Unfortunately I have tried all of these options and the authorized service center rep  told me to replace the screen at my cost ($400.00) and it might work. Can Samsung address this serious issue that was created by the last update. Can you please advise?!?!?! THANK YOU!!!