Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2011 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that ended rather abruptly. I was kinda expecting a death scene for Fujikuro right as he's about to get attacked there at the end, but then they didn't do anything with it. Not a bad OVA, but it could use some touching up. 8/10.
Apr 14, 2012 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
If this really is a prequel to the movies, we know Zeiram isn't dead, and neither is Fujikuro. The ending did seem pretty abrupt, "He's dead, Kei's here, let's go!" We didn't find out anything else about Gren, and why would Iria want to be absorbed by Zeiram? She didn't care about his plans before.
If you wanna read too much into it, maybe it ended there? Maybe Zeiram really did assimilate her and won? The ending seems a little too in-place, doesn't it?
May 25, 2012 7:51 PM

Apr 2012
quite some fanservice at the start!

decent end if unfulfilling. How did Kei get there? How is Zeiram not dead, does the movie say? What is Zeiram anyway? Are Iria and Glen related or not? (Why bother to imply they're not...)

just seen the 1991 film: Iria and Zeiram apparently have no prior history in it (they know he's a bioweapon but his indestructibility and powers are seemingly unknown and the kill-method from here doesn't come up). If this wasn't strictly a prequel they could've done more with it :/
BlackoutingJun 2, 2012 4:04 PM
Jun 6, 2015 11:47 AM

Feb 2013
Cut that thing's neck-head right in half... nobody thought of that before huh?

Average overall. 5/10
Jun 15, 2015 10:13 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty standard fare 90s sci-fi OVA, with obligatory nipples and impractical technology. Iria is at least a 10 though. Zeiram, maybe a 5 if I'm inebriated. Kei, maybe be 10 years. Masakazu Katsura's designs are the best.

Blackouting said:
How did Kei get there?

Bob was the one that set the coordinates, and these motherfuckers have teleportation technologies.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 3, 2015 11:39 PM

Jul 2013
I was just bored by this. Never found myself caring about anything going on and the monster was lame. It really didn't help that the little head had to make those stupid noises.
Jan 12, 2016 4:07 AM

Jul 2015
This anime is just boring to me.

The Zeiram thing is not nearly an interesting enough villain to be a continuous villain for the entire show. It's just so generic. Just having a few more of them that look a bit more retarded didn't really help.
Feb 20, 2016 8:06 PM

Jul 2010
I liked the first part but the second part was quite bad and I didn't care much anymore about the story, shame.
Jan 21, 2017 7:13 PM

May 2012
Pretty intense last episode I must say! Quite a good final in general of this 6 episode ova series!

All in all a great watch I must say!
Aug 22, 2017 6:00 PM
Aug 2014
Promising first episode, but it didn't really follow through on it.

The villain wasn't very interesting and the random time jumps didn't help the story either.
Mar 19, 2018 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
an ok series. this is probably the first OVA I've seen that didn't show any tits :( -1 for that

Feb 3, 2019 8:33 PM

Jan 2017
good ending. i liked the bit where kei was trying to leave and speaking to iria over the telecom thingy. it was cool to see the quick flash as a representation of her brother and how she was similar to him, and how kei is similar to her. also cool to see her reflection in the monitor, indicating how she was reflecting about herself.

i liked this show. it felt like a bunch of neat concepts of weapons and gadgets, that lacked the amount of creativity to make it into a whole series, not that it is a bad thing. it felt like this ova was made in order to materialize into an actual production. and i think that’s what’s most important if you want to create something and share it with the world, to just get the creation out there, not worrying about completeness, but just for the sake of it getting out there.

i also loved this show’s music and use of sound. very distinctive of that time era. i would describe it as soft and smooth. going further into the idea of sound, i wholefully believe it’s important in any show. it sets a lot of things up like the tone, mood, ambience, pacing, story, etc.

what i didn’t like was its length, yet at the same time the length felt just right. it felt like more of a showcase of concepts, in which the duration was suitable.

8/10
p0ckyyFeb 4, 2019 2:21 AM
Feb 10, 2019 12:24 AM

Aug 2015
I liked this. I actually didn't like the Zeiram design the first time I watched this series, since it was too humanoid, but this time around I liked it. The resemblance to a Buddhist monk fits the Asian design cues in this universe, which is unique and pretty different since in general a Western design is assumed to extend in to the future as the default template for modernity.

Iria is pretty cool. I could have done without the brother relationship, but Kei's blushing around Iria...I smell yuri! I ship it! (Once Kei is old enough, of course.)

Sometimes I found myself wondering what incidents and places characters were referring to, since the jargon and incidents have slipped my mind.

Great OP, love the animation and song.
Apr 12, 2020 7:59 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I liked the gadgets in the show, they had a lot variety to them. Very Batman like in always having gadget for the job. The fight scene was dope actually but it seemed to easy. The indestructible monster only need to be cut in half and shot. Also, her plan assimilated didn’t make much sense because what did she need to read his mind for if she was just going to kill it. I think for prequel it didn’t leave anything open ended enough to warrant more adventures. I would have loved to have seen a 12 episode season in this shows world. 5/10.
May 11, 2020 3:52 AM
Mar 2016
7.5 overall , i really liked it
Feb 4, 2021 6:24 AM

May 2020
That ending though... feels like a show suffering from a low budget, a lot of the silence felt unintentional and the sheer rush to the end in the last five minutes muddied the ending for me. Show went from a 6 to a 7 back to a 6. Still a solid show, a shame the ending faltered
Sep 22, 2021 4:43 AM

Feb 2014
Yay they defeated Zeiram (or it looks like they did lol)! That ending was really rushed though...

Overall I liked Iria as a character (sounds like she and Kei are siblings), she was pretty badass and savage at times. But like overall this show was kinda meh for me. Like I didn't dislike it, there were some parts that I liked, but I wasn't really enjoying it all that that much. I'd give it a 5-6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2021 7:26 PM
Dec 2017
i liked the show quite a bit

Dec 23, 2022 7:36 PM

Feb 2016
It's was great science fiction cyberpunk series, although it was short, but the conspiracy plot and action were pure delight ... and but It felt like a Japanese version the Ridley Scott classic film from 1979 (yes, I'm referring to Alien) -and that is a great point in its favor-. 8/10
Mar 18, 2023 6:55 PM
Mar 2019
Now it's over i could have watched more.
Shame they never bothered.
Jul 23, 2023 10:46 AM

Mar 2010
Way too short, so much potential down the shitter aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa o_O' World building, tech design, characters & creatures - all very interesting and unique, would have loved to learn more about all that and the lore. Animation aged very well. Good stuff overall, but too rushed to be a masterpiece. Giving it a 7/10. :3
Aug 3, 2023 7:35 PM
Nov 2018
but how? how did she beat him? the fact that she stabbed the appendix? but that wasnt the first time she attacked such part? or was it? anyway, it was fine, no, it was unique, it makes me wonder, why? why would any producer go on and greenlight an ova series based on a live action movie? i dont know of any other similar case, and what is more, the visuals of the anime are so peculiar, futuristic yet traditional, with the guns made of wood, the colorful patterns on buildings and clothes, the design of the buildings and vehicles, the action sequences were really well done and the few regular characters were likable and memorable, specially iria and fujikuro.
Sep 11, 2023 9:24 AM
May 2017
Considering how Zeiram was build up the ending was a bit underwhelming. I think they could have executed it better.
Nov 15, 2023 10:07 AM

Jul 2016

Loic Locatelli fanart

Feb 26, 7:07 AM
Mar 2019
Good episode, old art style well drawn and story ending interesting.
Jun 22, 3:02 PM
May 2023
An epic fight and a satisfying ending! Never would've thought Iria kept a switchblade in one of her braid ornaments, that's pretty cool.

This series was so good that I'd be willing to show it to friends and family.

I found out this OVA is a prequel to the live action movies Zeiram and Zeiram 2. Might check those out later, hope they're just as good if not better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Iria: Zeiram the Animation Episode 5 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 7, 2012

14 by Pullups4Days »»
Jun 22, 2:31 PM

Poll: » Iria: Zeiram the Animation Episode 4 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 24, 2012

14 by Pullups4Days »»
Jun 21, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Iria: Zeiram the Animation Episode 3 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 4, 2012

15 by Pullups4Days »»
Jun 20, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Iria: Zeiram The Animation Episode 2 Discussion

BurntJelly - Jun 5, 2015

14 by Pullups4Days »»
Jun 20, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Iria - Zeiram the Animation Episode 1 Discussion

Sick_Bastard - Dec 29, 2008

28 by Pullups4Days »»
Jun 20, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.