News Windows 12 Development Reportedly Begins In Earnest Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Many people say that.
Few do.

5 years ago after a decade under Linux I came back to Windows because in previous job had to support software which doesn't work in Linux. Changed a job recently and went back to Linux again. Still have Windows 10 in dualboot due to few stubborn games (mostly due to DRM and HDR). Seems Windows 10 will remain my last Windows version. TPM is kinda non-issue for me, however I have no wish to log into Microsoft account only to install Windows.

Fun fact - Your "Microsoft account" does not have to be Microsoft.

I've used a gmail address for years.

I too. However my Gmail address is only username for Microsoft in their servers. And I would like to keep a possibility to have local user without relation to some online server God knows where. Especially in geopolitical situation nowadays when I live with huge directly hostile country right behind my backyard.

USAFRet

Titan
I too. However my Gmail address is only username for Microsoft in their servers. And I would like to keep a possibility to have local user without relation to some online server God knows where. Especially in geopolitical situation nowadays when I live with huge directly hostile country right behind my backyard.
All my systems have 3 logins.
1x "microsoft account" (the aforementioned gmail). Used only for license activation issues, and the incredibly rare thing when I need something from the MS Store
1x Local Admin user. Used for UAC verification
1x Local Standard user. Daily driver, what I'm using right now.

On this 2 month old Win 11 box, I've logged in to the MS account once, I think. Just to verify the license activation.

Reactions: COLGeek
All my systems have 3 logins.
1x "microsoft account" (the aforementioned gmail). Used only for license activation issues, and the incredibly rare thing when I need something from the MS Store
1x Local Admin user. Used for UAC verification
1x Local Standard user. Daily driver, what I'm using right now.

On this 2 month old Win 11 box, I've logged in to the MS account once, I think. Just to verify the license activation.

Did you missed this?

Windows 11 Pro will soon require a Microsoft Account

With this measure no local account for everyone without mandatory login into mothership.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you missed this?

With this measure no local account for everyone without mandatory login into mothership.
Yes, I saw that.

"during the initial setup phase "
"“If you choose to setup [a] device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well.” "

After that, local accounts.
We shall see.

But no, I do NOT like this either.

Well there was clearly nothing wrong with what Windows 95 was doing. And yet here are.

Actually a better example would be GNOME. You think what Microsoft does is bad? You should try GNOME 3.

Essentially what was in Windows 95 was held all the way through Windows 7. Aside from new icons and a bit of polish, there weren't any major changes (except for disintegrating Internet Explorer from Explorer), and that was a GOOD thing.

Then came Windows 8 and the Metro UI, which was nice on a touchscreen device, but even then it was clunky and universally hated, though they made it at least usable with Windows 8.1.

And then they (almost) perfected it with Windows 10. Aside from the "this setting is in Control Pannel, this setting is in Settings, and this setting is in both locations" nonsense, it's near the perfect balance of productivity, efficiency, and visual appeal.

Then they took a massive step backwards with Windows 11 for absolutely no reason. Nobody asked for it.

As for Linux, I feel you, I've used Ububtu over the years in a VM, and remember the UI overhaul controversy.

Yes, I saw that.

"during the initial setup phase "
"“If you choose to setup [a] device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well.” "

After that, local accounts.
We shall see.

But no, I do NOT like this either.

Remember too:

Note that features appearing in Dev Channel builds may well never make it to the Windows 11 proper, so there's a chance Microsoft could reverse course on this controversial decision. Who knows, it may even see sense and start allowing anyone to install Windows 11 with just a local account, eliminating the requirement that you have an Internet connection to use Windows.
Windows 11 will soon force everyone to have a Microsoft account | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

USAFRet

Titan
And then they (almost) perfected it with Windows 10. Aside from the "this setting is in Control Pannel, this setting is in Settings, and this setting is in both locations" nonsense, it's near the perfect balance of productivity, efficiency, and visual appeal.
And, as usual, Win 10 was universally hated from the start.
"Oh noes! They're tracking muh informashuns!"

95 was hated for moving away from the commandline
XP was hated for the toylike FisherPrice interface
8 was (rightly) hated for the mobile touchscreen leanings
8.1 rolled most of that back, but still hated due to the taint of 8.
etc, etc, etc

Win 11 is mostly WIn 10 SP1.
Win 12 will be SP2.

Feb 21, 2022
Windows development is an ongoing process. What else are they gonna do, fire all the dev teams after each release? No, they just keep rolling on. New versions of Windows are primarily marked by significant changes to the user interface, but the underlying system is in a state of perpetual evolution. For instance, there is nothing new about new about TPM based security in Windows - it has been in use for years. The only thing new with W11 has been the enforcement of it.

Reactions: mikeebb

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
valve might fix a lot of that in long term thoguh.

if steamdeck bring linux popularity up drivers/applications might start egttign support they deserve making it much easier to actually do.
I have a toe in both camps, though more of my computers run Windows 10 than Linux (Mint). Let's just say that with Mint, you'll never be on the bleeding edge. Linux does not make upgrading to a new kernel version easy, and you will need that data backup (how old is yours?) more often than not. Unfortunately, in Linux, not being on the bleeding edge holds for apps as well as the o/s - which is not always a good thing.

When it comes to app(lications), Windows is far more tolerant of new software on old o/s versions as well as old software on new.

And all that said, I still see Win 11 as a marketing thing to rev up sales of new hardware. There's nothing new about that; Win 95 was, in part, intended to require new hardware. Yes there are internal changes, but they're still built on essentially a Win 10 base and could be retrofitted if MS desired to. The user interface IMO sucks, but then I'm not an Apple fan either, and UI is more personal preference and "I've gotten used to the olde one" than anything else. And finally, starting work on a new version just have having released one (or even before, as noted in other comments) is nothing new - it's expected. If nothing else, you need to keep the system development staff busy.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
As another noted (reading between the lines), you can set up multiple local, including admin, accounts once the computer is initially set up. Win10 has in fact worked that way for the last couple of releases. Yes, if you pull the network plug or refuse to provide a wireless key, you might be able to install without a MSA, but that's getting a little too deep for most people. It's easier to have a setup like mentioned above: initial setup account with MSA, local admin without (needed, among other things, for Safe Mode use without network should that ever be needed), and local user(s) with or without (yes, you can have a local user with MSA login even if the Admin account does not, which makes life easier when using things like Onedrive or even (horrors!) The Store).

And, as usual, Win 10 was universally hated from the start.
"Oh noes! They're tracking muh informashuns!"

95 was hated for moving away from the commandline
XP was hated for the toylike FisherPrice interface
8 was (rightly) hated for the mobile touchscreen leanings
8.1 rolled most of that back, but still hated due to the taint of 8.
etc, etc, etc

Win 11 is mostly WIn 10 SP1.
Win 12 will be SP2.

It depends. Outside "West" new Windows versions was/is hated also due to gradually increased resource demand. In post-Soviet space - many disliked anything from Windows XP above also because of mandatory activation online. Stealing is always better m'key and honestly for someone @home windows licence cost is a half of pension or other disposable income. For me Windows versions was more like this:

Windows 95. Possible to boot in DOS and Windows as I want. DOS DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D works in Windows without a hick - yay! (ok, I was only 22 then).

Windows 98. Possible to boot in DOS and Windows as I want. Resource hog - not good. Realizing that 98th properly support novelty USB things - good again. So good in result.

Windows Me. No usable DOS support anymore. Outside media things random glitches come. Crappy drivers... meh meh meh, dump it.

Windows NT. Business software works fine. DOS related software support is flaky - not good. Games doesn't work - bad. Ok for workstation, but fail otherwise.

Windows 2000. Both business and media stuff works. Almost all games works (the rest - via DOSBox). Resource demand is adequate to available hardware and pricing then. Total satisfaction.

Windows XP. In first years - resource hog. Limited multi-thread software support. At second half of 2000-ies no more resource hog. But memory limits in 32-bit software begin to announce themselves. Battle with activation for somebody... In general - fine.

Windows Vista. Awful resource hog for the era. Weird bugs. Meh, dump it in favor of XP.

Windows 7. Finally both positive features of XP and Vista without bugs. Fast enough for the era and even faster when new hardware appeared. File indexing s*ck on HDD, but luckily it is possible to disable it. Battle with activation for somebody... Otherwise - very good.

Windows 8. What is this ****?!? What they did with Start menu? WHERE IS MY PROGRAMS? WHERE IS DESKTOP? Some work software does not work anymore. Beeeeeeeeep! Meh, dump it.

Windows 10. So there we are . No way back to Win7 due to EOL. Sigh. Weird Start menu is still here? At least now I can see the list of menu folders. Control panel is that touchpad interface... ouch. Local account can't be created without disconnecting from network? Beep. What else is fouled? Tracking? Meh, disable it? Windows updates doesn't work then? Beep, let find a workaround. Well, at least all hardware seems working. Ok, let live with this freak as is.

It depends. Outside "West" new Windows versions was/is hated also due to gradually increased resource demand. In post-Soviet space - many disliked anything from Windows XP above also because of mandatory activation online. Stealing is always better m'key and honestly for someone @home windows licence cost is a half of pension or other disposable income. For me Windows versions was more like this:

Windows 95. Possible to boot in DOS and Windows as I want. DOS DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D works in Windows without a hick - yay! (ok, I was only 22 then).

Windows 98. Possible to boot in DOS and Windows as I want. Resource hog - not good. Realizing that 98th properly support novelty USB things - good again. So good in result.

Windows Me. No usable DOS support anymore. Outside media things random glitches come. Crappy drivers... meh meh meh, dump it.

Windows NT. Business software works fine. DOS related software support is flaky - not good. Games doesn't work - bad. Ok for workstation, but fail otherwise.

Windows 2000. Both business and media stuff works. Almost all games works (the rest - via DOSBox). Resource demand is adequate to available hardware and pricing then. Total satisfaction.

Windows XP. In first years - resource hog. Limited multi-thread software support. At second half of 2000-ies no more resource hog. But memory limits in 32-bit software begin to announce themselves. Battle with activation for somebody... In general - fine.

Windows Vista. Awful resource hog for the era. Weird bugs. Meh, dump it in favor of XP.

Windows 7. Finally both positive features of XP and Vista without bugs. Fast enough for the era and even faster when new hardware appeared. File indexing s*ck on HDD, but luckily it is possible to disable it. Battle with activation for somebody... Otherwise - very good.

Windows 8. What is this ****?!? What they did with Start menu? WHERE IS MY PROGRAMS? WHERE IS DESKTOP? Some work software does not work anymore. Beeeeeeeeep! Meh, dump it.

Windows 10. So there we are . No way back to Win7 due to EOL. Sigh. Weird Start menu is still here? At least now I can see the list of menu folders. Control panel is that touchpad interface... ouch. Local account can't be created without disconnecting from network? Beep. What else is fouled? Tracking? Meh, disable it? Windows updates doesn't work then? Beep, let find a workaround. Well, at least all hardware seems working. Ok, let live with this freak as is.
Then I have to ask, why are you still using Windows when there's a perfectly find, free alternative?

Really, Microsoft doesn't care if you pirate Windows or don't even activate it anymore. An unlicensed Windows 10 is like 99.9% usable and the only disabled features are cosmetic. The fact that someone continues to use Windows is what Microsoft wants. While I haven't heard any major incidents from Adobe attacking pirates, I'm also pretty sure they didn't care if "poor college kids" pirated their software, because they were the industry standard and if a college graduate knew how to use Adobe's software, then it would keep them relevant.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Did you missed this?

Windows 11 Pro already requires one during initial setup. You can get around it by starting the initial setup process connected to the internet, then disconnecting the network cable when it asks to create an account. If you have a laptop with no rj45 jack, you'll need a usb to ethernet adapter, and do the same disconnect the cable stunt. Pro will run fine with just local accounts without ever phoning home with an MS account.

Then I have to ask, why are you still using Windows when there's a perfectly find, free alternative?

For me - because some software I need, still want Windows and aren't exactly friendly with Linux or VM. Also some games (Halo MCC and some others) still glitch under Wine/Proton and proper Wayland/HDR support in Linux seems will come only in next year. Also I still sometimes do tech support for people who use Windows only and don't budge to something else.

FTW my previous comment was written from laptop with Ubuntu 20.04 as single OS. Exactly now I'm under Mint 20.3 (dualboot computer, but see above). All my work stuff is under Linux now as well. Actually was for two decades already.

Really, Microsoft doesn't care if you pirate Windows or don't even activate it anymore. An unlicensed Windows 10 is like 99.9% usable and the only disabled features are cosmetic. The fact that someone continues to use Windows is what Microsoft wants. While I haven't heard any major incidents from Adobe attacking pirates, I'm also pretty sure they didn't care if "poor college kids" pirated their software, because they were the industry standard and if a college graduate knew how to use Adobe's software, then it would keep them relevant.

Yes, 99+% of Microsoft licences are either corporate - mostly volume licenses or OEM licenses for prebuilts.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

When I was in college back in the stone age, Adobe products were sold at huge discounts in the campus bookstore so it wasn't really even necessary to pirate. We had legal access to almost all MS software for "free." I think in reality part of every student's required "technology fee" or whatever it was called went to MS, so it wasn't truly free, but more like 99% off depending on how much of the software you used.

Reactions: Krotow
When I was in college back in the stone age, Adobe products were sold at huge discounts in the campus bookstore so it wasn't really even necessary to pirate. We had legal access to almost all MS software for "free." I think in reality part of every student's required "technology fee" or whatever it was called went to MS, so it wasn't truly free, but more like 99% off depending on how much of the software you used.

Pretty much the same in universities here. You can get MS/Adobe software on education license for free. So I got my legit Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2008 in that way. Later upgraded to Windows 10 by autoupgrade.... still legit.

USAFRet

Titan
When I was in college back in the stone age, Adobe products were sold at huge discounts in the campus bookstore so it wasn't really even necessary to pirate.
It has NEVER been necessary to pirate "Photoshop".

Either you got it very cheap from school, or your employer paid for the license, or....you're not really doing enough to warrant actual 'Photoshop', and could use any of the actually free or low cost alternatives.

It has NEVER been necessary to pirate "Photoshop".

Either you got it very cheap from school, or your employer paid for the license, or....you're not really doing enough to warrant actual 'Photoshop', and could any of the actually free or low cost alternatives.

I see you certainly didn't lived in exUSSR or South Asia. Well, businesses here have almost all (or simply all) software legal. People learned how to peck tech support and fuss with BSA and authorities is not worth it. But legal software at home - meh, get lost. Common narrative is "we aren't paid enough to buy also THIS". Which knowing income difference between Western and Eastern Europes for example and Windows/MS Office/Adobe licencing prices, before online subscription and cheap licences became a thing, is very understandable. So for home either OEM licenses for prebuilts/laptops or... Jolly Roger. Although all is not that bad. Some are already purchasing almost all or all software they are using also outside job. With Internet access speeding up and Steam which allow convenient moving purchased games and saves between computers, games are already mostly purchased. Possibility to write documents and spreadsheets in online MS Office or Google Documents also helped to get rid of piracy in noticeable degree. In some industries Linux sort of prevail. So ... things are improving here too.

USAFRet

Titan
I see you certainly didn't lived in exUSSR or South Asia. Well, businesses here have almost all (or simply all) software legal. People learned how to peck tech support and fuss with BSA and authorities is not worth it. But legal software at home - meh, get lost. Common narrative is "we aren't paid enough to buy also THIS". Which knowing income difference between Western and Eastern Europes for example and Windows/MS Office/Adobe licencing prices, before online subscription and cheap licences became a thing, is very understandable. So for home either OEM licenses for prebuilts/laptops or... Jolly Roger. Although all is not that bad. Some are already purchasing almost all or all software they are using also outside job. With Internet access speeding up and Steam which allow convenient moving purchased games and saves between computers, games are already mostly purchased. Possibility to write documents and spreadsheets in online MS Office or Google Documents also helped to get rid of piracy in noticeable degree. In some industries Linux sort of prevail. So ... things are improving here too.
For Photoshop, what was wrong with the actual FREE alternatives?
GIMP, paint.net, etc, etc, etc.
Those have been around forever.

If your company is pirating Adobe/Office on a grand scale...that's a whole different thing.

But frequently, we see a comment here of "I was forced to pirate Photoshop, because it is too expensive in my country."
Nonsense.
Said person being one single dude, wanting to make funny cat memes.

Similarly, Office.
LibreOffice. Do that.

If the real cost is too much, embrace the actual free alternatives.
If my employer did not supply me with a $20 license for Office 2019...I'd be using LibreOffice.
As I am actually doing on a couple of my secondary laptops.
$300+ for Office Pro is not something I personally want to spend.

"I was forced to..." is absolute BS.

I believe we already talked about that :) Well let do it again. Particularly about Photoshop. 2 things - easy of use and vendor lock-in. People who used Photoshop, don't wan't to use Gimp. Mostly due to interface weirdness which require quite arcane way in selecting and filling areas for example. Dunno why Gimp developers didn't changed that yet. And when people got used to one software, they are hard to budge to move and begin to use other. You in America aren't only one who have Karens - we have ours :) Talking them to move off from (un)paid Photoshop and do their memes or add flowers on family photos in some free picture editor cost enough nerves and majority simply don't bother anymore. Indeed Gimp would enormously win if user interface and controls would be updated to be more Photoshop-ish. But that is up to Gimp developers. One is clear though - using Photoshop for simple effects on photos came down with picture editor evolving in phones. Some don't bother about computers anymore because they can put cat faces on people directly in phone app.

About MS Office and LibreOffice - LibreOffice few years ago was still pretty quirky. Although it have better internal document structure. Nowadays they both are almost the same. Also LibreOffice is easier to use with table data import/export with CSV and similar files. I have few friends and other people around who ditched MS Office in favor of LibreOffice even on Windows and Mac because of that.

Particularly my preferences are LibreOffice under Linux and Windows. And because I'm a bit scrooge about things I rarely need - Krita under Linux and Paint.net under Windows. Gimp... I have it, but nowadays use very rarely.

Last edited: