Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Which year the games will launch
The streaming event was just game demos but at the end of each demo, it stated when it was available. No talking heads, just demos and a blurb of when.

I stopped watching after a few minutes since it was just demo after demo

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The streaming event was just game demos but at the end of each demo, it stated when it was available. No talking heads, just demos and a blurb of when.

I stopped watching after a few minutes since it was just demo after demo
Which games are you most excited about? Myself, doom, indiana Jones and Perfeft dark.

It would have been nice if MS presented a 1-2 fun local multiplayer games. Sometimes I crave fun and easy going games that I can casually or with the kids.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those look cool, South of Midnight looks interesting and Starfield's DLC Shattered Space is one I'm also looking forward too

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Cod is a game that targets 100-200m monthly players. Therefore it will always be designed to run on older or weaker hardware.
I've been using ps5 digi up to mw3, and had in effect changed original series x to series s only to reduce hardware bulk.
Is there any Refresh Rate or Resolution bump expected via series x for cod, maybe 120hz.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I have to admit, the showcase yesterday has made me regret my decision to sell my Series X for a PS5, I may have to reverse my decision… I will wait to see what spec bumps the new consoles have if any, such as smaller chips and improved WiFi etc. But they did also state they are in deep development in the next generation of hardware, so I’m curious when it will be announced? 2026?

Reactions: Donfor39

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have to admit, the showcase yesterday has made me regret my decision to sell my Series X for a PS5, I may have to reverse my decision… I will wait to see what spec bumps the new consoles have if any, such as smaller chips and improved WiFi etc. But they did also state they are in deep development in the next generation of hardware, so I’m curious when it will be announced? 2026?
Exclusivity on xbox is dead.

Some of the games or even many of them will come to PS5. Worst case you can buy a used Series S to dip in and out of gamepass to play some of the titles.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Excellent point if Next Gen announcement is on the Horizon, then I'll continue with Series S and PS5 Digi.

Reactions: Pezimak

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Isn’t the next generation hardware the handheld? This is great as the Switch 2 will be released next year and Microsoft gets to challenge it head on. Not likes for likes off course and the Switch is all about Mario titles that will never come to Xbox.

The good news is that Arm for windows is being rolled out. Every year we’ll see an improvement in performance from Snapdragon SoC for handhelds. Just look at the annual power bumps for the iPhone and iPad. They are insane.

I will interested in replacing my Series X with an arm based Xbox/window handheld. By 2026-2027 the handhelds will likely match the Series S for quality. MS auto super resolution will help! Exciting times ahead.

960x0.jpg

98736_2_antec-core-hs-is-new-pc-gaming-handheld-with-sliding-screen-and-keyboard.jpg

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Isn’t the next generation hardware the handheld? This is great as the Switch 2 will be released next year and Microsoft gets to challenge it head on. Not likes for likes off course and the Switch is all about Mario titles that will never come to Xbox.

The good news is that Arm for windows is being rolled out. Every year we’ll see an improvement in performance from Snapdragon SoC for handhelds. Just look at the annual power bumps for the iPhone and iPad. They are insane.

I will interested in replacing my Series X with an arm based Xbox/window handheld. By 2026-2027 the handhelds will likely match the Series S for quality. MS auto super resolution will help! Exciting times ahead.

960x0.jpg

98736_2_antec-core-hs-is-new-pc-gaming-handheld-with-sliding-screen-and-keyboard.jpg

Nope the handheld is a separate device as far as I know, they are working on a next gen home console. I don't think anyone has any idea what this handheld will be, I expect it'll basically run a locked down Windows. Or Windows with a new Xbox UI? It won't be a remote play only device though.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Exclusivity on xbox is dead.

Some of the games or even many of them will come to PS5. Worst case you can buy a used Series S to dip in and out of gamepass to play some of the titles.

No it isn't, Xbox is the platform of PC and Windows and you'll never see Avowed or Gears Of War on PS5 etc. They will keep those for these platforms.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Nope the handheld is a separate device as far as I know, they are working on a next gen home console. I don't think anyone has any idea what this handheld will be, I expect it'll basically run a locked down Windows. Or Windows with a new Xbox UI? It won't be a remote play only device though.
Gaming consoles are a bit at a cross roads. Gaming developers have a headache of several platforms
  • Series X/S
  • PS5
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PC X64
  • iOS/Android

+
  • Windows ARM

In 5-10 years life will be easier when all of the above might be Arm based. In the meantime gaming studios are reducing head count and cancelling titles because they are very cost concious. The Xbox handheld can take the following routes:

Windows X64 based with xbox UI:

Pros: A handheld windows PC which means that almost any game that runs on a windows PC should run on the device with minimal optimisation required for gaming studios.
Cons: Poor battery, high heat, bulky size and the device will likely be super outdated 1-2 years post launch when ARM based hardware has been rolled out.

ARM based with xbox UI:

Pros: Energy efficient, optimised size/weight and future proof.
Cons: Emulation will not work for all titles and the risk of bugs is high. In the short term, gaming studios will unlikely want to spend million to optimise for ARM x64 if there are less than 5m devices in circulation.

I don't think the Xbox handheld will be THE handheld that everyone will buy. It will be a reference hardware by MS that MSI, Asus, Acer and Gigabyte will follow and create their own versions whether it's x64 or ARM based. This way Xbox is an eco-system. Microsoft provides the optimised OS, schemas for buttons/joystick, content(games) while OEM provide the hardware.

No it isn't, Xbox is the platform of PC and Windows and you'll never see Avowed or Gears Of War on PS5 etc. They will keep those for these platforms.
Phil is no longer pulling the strings. Satya has stepped in so I wouldn't rule out anything. If the next Gears of War will be a live service game, network effects are critical. The more people who can play the game, the more views on YouTube, the more people want to buy and play it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Gaming consoles are a bit at a cross roads. Gaming developers have a headache of several platforms
  • Series X/S
  • PS5
  • Nintendo Switch
  • PC X64
  • iOS/Android

+
  • Windows ARM

In 5-10 years life will be easier when all of the above might be Arm based. In the meantime gaming studios are reducing head count and cancelling titles because they are very cost concious. The Xbox handheld can take the following routes:

Windows X64 based with xbox UI:

Pros: A handheld windows PC which means that almost any game that runs on a windows PC should run on the device with minimal optimisation required for gaming studios.
Cons: Poor battery, high heat, bulky size and the device will likely be super outdated 1-2 years post launch when ARM based hardware has been rolled out.

ARM based with xbox UI:

Pros: Energy efficient, optimised size/weight and future proof.
Cons: Emulation will not work for all titles and the risk of bugs is high. In the short term, gaming studios will unlikely want to spend million to optimise for ARM x64 if there are less than 5m devices in circulation.

I don't think the Xbox handheld will be THE handheld that everyone will buy. It will be a reference hardware by MS that MSI, Asus, Acer and Gigabyte will follow and create their own versions whether it's x64 or ARM based. This way Xbox is an eco-system. Microsoft provides the optimised OS, schemas for buttons/joystick, content(games) while OEM provide the hardware.

Phil is no longer pulling the strings. Satya has stepped in so I wouldn't rule out anything. If the next Gears of War will be a live service game, network effects are critical. The more people who can play the game, the more views on YouTube, the more people want to buy and play it.

I agree on the handheld, but not on Satya, that is only rumours. That showcase was pure Xbox of old that Phil wants, not Microsoft Gaming that Satya is rumoured to want. Starfield is still not announced for any other platforms and that’s a sign Phil is winning.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I agree on the handheld, but not on Satya, that is only rumours. That showcase was pure Xbox of old that Phil wants, not Microsoft Gaming that Satya is rumoured to want. Starfield is still not announced for any other platforms and that’s a sign Phil is winning.
MS acquired Bethesda for $7 billion and Activision Blizzard for $75 billion. If you sign that off as a CEO and observe that ROI targets are not met, you will intervene.

Bringing Xbox exclusives to other platforms and making COD available on gamepass on day one, are big fundamental decisions that have irreversible implications for Xbox.

For a title that was meant to be a defining blockbuster for Xbox, Starfield has poor ratings. Spending $20-100m to optimise it for PS5 and committing $5-10m to maintain the codebase for that platform would not make sense. Some titles won't be available on other platforms if ROI is unlikely.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
MS acquired Bethesda for $7 billion and Activision Blizzard for $75 billion. If you sign that off as a CEO and observe that ROI targets are not met, you will intervene.

Bringing Xbox exclusives to other platforms and making COD available on gamepass on day one, are big fundamental decisions that have irreversible implications for Xbox.

For a title that was meant to be a defining blockbuster for Xbox, Starfield has poor ratings. Spending $20-100m to optimise it for PS5 and committing $5-10m to maintain the codebase for that platform would not make sense. Some titles won't be available on other platforms if ROI is unlikely.

No, you won't intervene, that's not how it works. What you do instead is you expect your elected director of that department to present a business plan to bring in the profits, as you hired them to. Which is what Phil has done.
Satia can make suggestions but he isn't taking over.

The only implications Xbox's decisions have are to law big money. COD prints money. And so far the only exclusives promised are smaller titles. I don't think Starfield is coming to any other platforms.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Excellent point if Next Gen announcement is on the Horizon, then I'll continue with Series S and PS5 Digi.

I’ve come to my senses lol. I don’t need to buy another Xbox, I left it for a reason but, I can easily stream the Xbox games I want to play on my new Mac when I get it. So I can still play the Xbox games I want without the expense of another console. I’ll stick to my PS5 and Xbox streaming. I have really good gigabit internet. I’ve been streaming games to my iPad on Xbox and they’ve worked fine.

Reactions: Donfor39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.