Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
After trying various various versions of Wine to try out Skyrim I found that Crossover 23 (Mojave compatible) made good use of the eGPU.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
SuperDuper. Been using it for years and it can do bootable APFS backups from different-size SSDs...
Insofar as I aware, SuperDuper (and GetBackupPro) have not been able to deal with Big Sur & later, and are essentially moribund at this point.
It's also possible to bypass superduper completely for restoring too. (via the migration assistant - just point it to the superduper disk) Apple provides asr, which is the backbone of bootable APFS backups.
Migrating is not cloning. Boot-clone apps have one job: cloning the OS. (Watching a floundering CCC scramble to reposition itself as a Time Machine alternative is becoming risible.)

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I just fired up my 2010 macpro 5,1 that was in storage for a year and still running Mojave. Runs solid like it did a year ago and using 10 year old Presonus preamps and firewire elements, I don't think there is a need to really upgrade it up to another OS. The best thing is that Apple is now out of the picture in doing updates, that having them out of the way is a blessing. Sometimes the simple things is better.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
I just fired up my 2010 macpro 5,1 that was in storage for a year and still running Mojave. Runs solid like it did a year ago and using 10 year old Presonus preamps and firewire elements, I don't think there is a need to really upgrade it up to another OS. The best thing is that Apple is now out of the picture in doing updates, that having them out of the way is a blessing. Sometimes the simple things is better.
Clone your Mojave boot volume into a MacOS Extended (journaled) partition, and watch its performance noticeably increase (especially if a rotational drive).

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 30, 2018
there
great post!
yes im having music difficulties were Monterey and Music to 2 airplay homepods plays the first 3 songs then stops, as the porgram and system as just now, stopped at "god only knows" on Pet sounds. Meanwhile Mojave never had that problem.
i have a dual boot on a wd 500 of Catalina and Mojave and Catalina get much hotter on a MBP mid '12.

Mojave just has a great feel and enough to fully funtcion without heat, mistakes or extra passwords.

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
great post!
yes im having music difficulties were Monterey and Music to 2 airplay homepods plays the first 3 songs then stops, as the porgram and system as just now, stopped at "god only knows" on Pet sounds. Meanwhile Mojave never had that problem.
i have a dual boot on a wd 500 of Catalina and Mojave and Catalina get much hotter on a MBP mid '12.

Mojave just has a great feel and enough to fully funtcion without heat, mistakes or extra passwords.
Mojave's support of 32bit and HFS+ boot-drives render it the last good version of the MacOS. (There are a number of "early-California" annoyances, such as MRT, Spotlight, and Notifications, but they can all be turned off with Terminal tricks.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

Minghold

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2022
Everyone running Mojave (for its legacy features) on a 2012-2019 intel-chip computer should also implement this trick to prevent users in a work (or other) environment from accidentally "upgrading" the OS (which Apple really hopes to trick you into doing because it wants to sluggify and obsolesce your no-longer-supported machine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.