Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Reactions: macpro_mid2014

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Today the short Sintech adapter arrived, but my WD SN580 Nvme is still NOT recognized. I boot the laptop via an USB.3.0 SSD with Mojave OS installed *Boot ROM Version:489.0.0.0.0) but the disk is not appeared. I think that something goes wrong with the firmware of the USB 3.0 Mojave OS. Any help?

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Today the short Sintech adapter arrived, but my WD SN580 Nvme is still NOT recognized. I boot the laptop via an USB.3.0 SSD with Mojave OS installed *Boot ROM Version:489.0.0.0.0) but the disk is not appeared. I think that something goes wrong with the firmware of the USB 3.0 Mojave OS. Any help?
When you say "I boot the laptop via an USB.3.0 SSD with Mojave OS installed" you mean using the SN580 inside a USB enclosure?
Please, post a System Report screenshot (the part where it shows your firmware version).

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
No. My MBP2015 does not boot with The SN580+ Sintech short adapter. When i try to boot this way it shows the question mark folder blinking and the message support,apple etc.etc. So i plug an SSD to a USB to SATA adapter (so far i have two MacOS disks Mojave , Catalina) i boot the machine with the Alt button and i cannot see the HARDWARE installed inside the machine SN580. As i mentioned in previous post in the FIRST installation with the Chinese adapter (inside the machine) the disk appeared normal so i began the installation of Monterey to the SN580 (i had booted with USB to SATA Mojave Os) but the laptop freezed and in the next reboot the disk disappeared. Thats my story i attach system information of Catalina BOOT. with the SN580 installed and not show in disk utility terminal etc...
DSC_5501.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_5501.JPG
    DSC_5501.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 14

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
No. My MBP2015 does not boot with The SN580+ Sintech short adapter. When i try to boot this way it shows the question mark folder blinking and the message support,apple etc.etc. So i plug an SSD to a USB to SATA adapter (so far i have two MacOS disks Mojave , Catalina) i boot the machine with the Alt button and i cannot see the HARDWARE installed inside the machine SN580. As i mentioned in previous post in the FIRST installation with the Chinese adapter (inside the machine) the disk appeared normal so i began the installation of Monterey to the SN580 (i had booted with USB to SATA Mojave Os) but the laptop freezed and in the next reboot the disk disappeared. Thats my story i attach system information of Catalina BOOT. with the SN580 installed and not show in disk utility terminal etc... View attachment 2394554
You have to try to eliminate the possibility of having a faulty SN580, therefore I suggest you put SN580 into the USB enclosure and try to boot using SN580. If you still don't have a working macOS in the SN580, install the latest supported macOS using your standard setup on the SN580 attached through the USB enclosure and then boot the MBP using the SN580.

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Forgot to say that the laptop boots fine (Monterey) with the SN580 INSIDE UGREEN mvme to USB3.0 adapter.
So the SSD is probably fine. I managed to install the Monterey to SN580 with the following steps
Boot from USB3.0 to SATA in Mojave (pressing OPTION)
I plugged the SN580 disk and was recognized in the UGREEN enclosure adapter.
Then i downloaded Monterey from Apple Store and installed to the SN580.
Then i booted ( pressing OPTION) and the system booted from SN580 fine.
When i installed the SN580 with the adapter inside the laptop i get the icon of a folder blinking with a question mark.
now i will try to install Windows 10 with USB stick to see if the SN580 appears.
Thanks fore your reply but i think that something tricky happened in the first attempt to install Monterey when the laptop freezes.
I will update

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, since you could not see the SN580, you removed the SN580, and installed the 256 GB drive in the internal slot, and that still works without problem?
Does the 256 GB (installed internally) see the SN580 when SN580 is installed in external USB enclosure?
(Just checking the other possibilities )

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ok. Another test for you:
With the adapter+SN580 inserted in the slot inside your MBP, boot the MBP using a USB with Monterey.
Then, go to the System Report page and click NVMExpress.

Attached is the screenshot when I boot my MBP running Big Sur using a USB stick.
This is a guess: you got two adapters with problems. I would test a third one (new brand/make).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 3.45.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 3.45.26 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 3.45.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 3.45.26 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021
Forgot to say that the laptop boots fine (Monterey) with the SN580 INSIDE UGREEN mvme to USB3.0 adapter.
So the SSD is probably fine. I managed to install the Monterey to SN580 with the following steps
Boot from USB3.0 to SATA in Mojave (pressing OPTION)
I plugged the SN580 disk and was recognized in the UGREEN enclosure adapter.
Then i downloaded Monterey from Apple Store and installed to the SN580.
Then i booted ( pressing OPTION) and the system booted from SN580 fine.
When i installed the SN580 with the adapter inside the laptop i get the icon of a folder blinking with a question mark.
now i will try to install Windows 10 with USB stick to see if the SN580 appears.
Thanks fore your reply but i think that something tricky happened in the first attempt to install Monterey when the laptop freezes.
I will update
Maybe try using WD Toolbox under Windows to update the firmware? if you did end up corrupting something that should be able to overwrite that image..)

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
As for the first suggestion from macpro_mid2014 in System Report under nvme "This computer doesn’t contain any NVMExpress devices".
I formatted a bootable OCLP Monterey USB stick, to see if the SN580 appears under OCLP recovery enviroment Nothing...
This thing is going to make me crazy!!! This morning i installed the SN580+Sintech short to my MacMini 2014 and worked like a charm. Booted in Monterey instantly like the Apple 256GB. The disk is on Nvme devices as expected. See photos

Attachments

• DSC_5506.JPG
    DSC_5506.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_5507.JPG
    DSC_5507.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 22

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
This morning i installed the SN580+Sintech short to my MacMini 2014 and worked like a charm.
If I recall correctly, the adapter used in the MacMini is different from the one you use in your MBP. As I suggested above, try a third adapter with your MBP, because the SN580 is working (I am considering that its firmware is updated to the latest version).

Moreover, just a clarification: how did you update the MBP firmware to 489.0.0.0.0? Using the stock Apple SSD or the SN580? If the update happened when you tried to install Monterey using SN580, the update process might have corrupted the firmware somehow (very improbable, but possible).

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
No the disk is installed with the same adapter. I have found many reports that Monterey is difficult to install in third party NVME ssd so i will try to install Catalina or Mojave to SN580. I will report.

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021
No the disk is installed with the same adapter. I have found many reports that Monterey is difficult to install in third party NVME ssd so i will try to install Catalina or Mojave to SN580. I will report.
Any updates? (I have the same drive + adapter combo with 12.x installed and it has been working fine (used for recovery)

leodoct

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2023
Sorry for the delayed response but i left for holiday. I will update on weekend. I will format NTFS the SN580 in a windows PC (not FAT or ExFat as i did with MacMini) to start from the beggining.Last hope...

Play4clay

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
London
Hi all, Since everyone over here has/had mcp 2013-2015, I thought ask my question here 1st:
Few month ago I upgraded my rMBP"s battery and SSD with helps of this community (Thanks) and it works excellent for day to day usage but not strong enough for my new workload so I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new MBP M3 Max.

Now my Question is, what is the best and easiest way to transfer my data from 2013rMBP

(SK hynix Gold P31 2TB PCIe NVMe)​

to this M3 without too much hassle. I also have bootcamp on my 2013, but not planning to transfer it and not even sure if it would transfer anyway.
I already deleted too many unwanted files when transferred from original apple ssd to NVMe and my main concern is apps. should I only transfer USER? or shall I transfer files and folders too? and what is the best way to do it? Migrant assistant over WiFi? I don't have a cable yet and planning to do it over weekend hopefully. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 15.56.07.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 15.56.07.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 10

unphased

macrumors member
May 29, 2013
The first page post is informative however leaves specific purchase choices open-ended.

I have a mid-2015 rMBP that I got as part of a $199 battery "replacement" for my 2012 rMBP (the OG retina macbook). I suspected this machine was part of the recall that was going around for this model, but the model number was not a hit for that.

I gave it to my mom a few years ago since by this time I'd moved on to an M1 Max 64GB machine which I'm still rocking. Probably gonna drive it into the ground, it's still such a beast. The M1 Max may become a solid mobile gaming machine soon going by the looks of how well people are getting games running with GPTK2. I digress.

I came to visit my parents again now, and lo and behold the battery has puffed to high hell on the ol' MacBookPro11,5. It's 6 packs of spicy pillows, 1 out of the 6 is not as filled as the others but 5 are very very high pressure puffed up. The lid couldn't close, I mean it wasn't even close. The trackpad corners were sticking out, the entire keyboard and case was bulging. The bottom cover was quite bent from the pressure. I opened it up and ripped the battery out promptly, and now it looks like the OEM AHCI SSD is more or less kaput as well, as I'm generally unable to restore any semblance of functionality to it, keeps rebooting when logging in or trying to initiate an OS restore. So I'll need to get a new SSD in addition to battery for this machine.

Anyway that's my story that nobody needed to follow, but there it is.

From what I've seen the best choices are clearly either the Crucial P3 or the SK Hynix Gold P31. I will be choosing a 1TB SKU of either, and likely the long sintech adapter as that seems to be a popular choice. it is more expensive than the deal4go small adapter and maybe countless others. But I'll go with the sintech one.

The question is WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE? P3 or P31? The P3 is cheaper by a bit.

I am concerned that it may be difficult to install an OS with this if the drive in an adapter won't boot up internet macos recovery out of the box...

Last edited:

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all, Since everyone over here has/had mcp 2013-2015, I thought ask my question here 1st:
Few month ago I upgraded my rMBP"s battery and SSD with helps of this community (Thanks) and it works excellent for day to day usage but not strong enough for my new workload so I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new MBP M3 Max.

Now my Question is, what is the best and easiest way to transfer my data from 2013rMBP

(SK hynix Gold P31 2TB PCIe NVMe)​

to this M3 without too much hassle. I also have bootcamp on my 2013, but not planning to transfer it and not even sure if it would transfer anyway.
I already deleted too many unwanted files when transferred from original apple ssd to NVMe and my main concern is apps. should I only transfer USER? or shall I transfer files and folders too? and what is the best way to do it? Migrant assistant over WiFi? I don't have a cable yet and planning to do it over weekend hopefully. Thanks in advance.
Yhe best way is to pull the ssd out and buy a m2 sata/nvme blade drive adapter and connect it via usb c do the m3.
Like this one:

Play4clay

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2019
London
The first page post is informative however leaves specific purchase choices open-ended.

I have a mid-2015 rMBP that I got as part of a $199 battery "replacement" for my 2012 rMBP (the OG retina macbook). I suspected this machine was part of the recall that was going around for this model, but the model number was not a hit for that.

I gave it to my mom a few years ago since by this time I'd moved on to an M1 Max 64GB machine which I'm still rocking. Probably gonna drive it into the ground, it's still such a beast. The M1 Max may become a solid mobile gaming machine soon going by the looks of how well people are getting games running with GPTK2. I digress.

I came to visit my parents again now, and lo and behold the battery has puffed to high hell on the ol' MacBookPro11,5. It's 6 packs of spicy pillows, 1 out of the 6 is not as filled as the others but 5 are very very high pressure puffed up. The lid couldn't close, I mean it wasn't even close. The trackpad corners were sticking out, the entire keyboard and case was bulging. The bottom cover was quite bent from the pressure. I opened it up and ripped the battery out promptly, and now it looks like the OEM AHCI SSD is more or less kaput as well, as I'm generally unable to restore any semblance of functionality to it, keeps rebooting when logging in or trying to initiate an OS restore. So I'll need to get a new SSD in addition to battery for this machine.

Anyway that's my story that nobody needed to follow, but there it is.

From what I've seen the best choices are clearly either the Crucial P3 or the SK Hynix Gold P31. I will be choosing a 1TB SKU of either, and likely the long sintech adapter as that seems to be a popular choice. it is more expensive than the deal4go small adapter and maybe countless others. But I'll go with the sintech one.

The question is WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE? P3 or P31? The P3 is cheaper by a bit.

I am concerned that it may be difficult to install an OS with this if the drive in an adapter won't boot up internet macos recovery out of the box...
I bought items listed below few month ago for my late 2013rMBP and set up went quit smoothly, I used CCC to restore and upgraded OS this way but since you don't have the old ssd you wont need CCC, not sure if you would need Enclosure either. In regards to battery it's been alright for me so far and I get about 6hrs out of it, but with non OEM batteries it's a gamble as you've already experienced it.

For the sintech adaptor, They are identical in terms of circuitry. The only issue with the long one is whether it fits well in your laptop without forcing the SSD when you close the bottom pane. That is why short one recommended in most scenarios as there is minimal pressure on the drive, I also got the long one 1st but then purchased and used short one.

Regarding OS (Big Sur )installation, I download the latest Big Sur (InstallAssistant.pkg),and I cloned my old SSD to new one using CCC and Enclosure , then replaced new SSD and run the pkg to extract the app. then create an install media (createinstallmedia) in here: https://support.apple.com/en-ae/101578 , I guess however in your case you need a bootable installer.

Also download SilentKnight 2.7 (Universal App for Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma) to check if you are running the latest update after instal.

-SK hynix Gold P31 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen3
-Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD (Long)Adapter /
- Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card for Upgrade MacBook Air(2013-2016 Year) and MacBook PRO(Late 2013-2015 Year) (Black) (short adaptor)
-UGREEN SSD Enclosure
-SNSYIY A1398rMBP battery

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
The only issue with the long one is whether it fits well in your laptop without forcing the SSD when you close the bottom pane. That is why short one recommended in most scenarios as there is minimal pressure on the drive, I also got the long one 1st but then purchased and used short one.

While I have had no issues with the long version...

sintc-long.jpg

. . . it does seem OOS. On the + side, it definitely makes contact with the case thermal pad ;)

I got the short-stub version a few months ago, but haven't installed it, yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.