Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
How can we be in the later stage of the PS5‘s lifecycle, and a new Naughty Dog game has not even been *announced* yet????
They cancelled their Last of Us multiplayer followup recently. That one probably used up most of the manpower available in recent years.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Games have been dry across the board, but their are a few cool third party games coming out.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
That could mean we see PS5 Pro Enhanced games that run at between 1080p and 1440p resolution at 30fps on the base PS5 and run between 1280p and 2160p on the PS5 Pro at the same frame rate. A fixed resolution increase from 1440p to 2160p would also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game. Developers could also choose to enable ray-tracing effects and get the PS5 Pro Enhanced label without improving resolution or frame rates. If a developer wants to target 60fps instead of 30fps with the same resolution, this may also qualify as a PS5 Pro Enhanced game.

This is going to be super confusing. Consoles used to be easy to understand but this generation of technical specs has been confusing for both PS5 and XSX

For the PS5Pro it feels like games will need 3-4 settings.

4k/60FPS
4k/30FPS with ray tracing
2k/120FPS

It's dubious that using ray tracing will be sufficient to warrant an "Enhanced for PS5 Pro" label. Ray tracing has mixed performance

Sensationally stunning but not worth the 50% drop in FSP: Alan Wake 2
Stunning: Cyberpunk 2077, Jusant
Garbage implementation: Battlefield 5
Can't tell the difference: Too many titles

I hope that PSSS ai upscaling technology will kill the label "quality mode" which is a vague term for dynamic resolution scaling. 4k through AI upscaling would be fantastic. On my 4K TV, 1440p looks soft and previous gen but 4k looks crisp and lush. BIG difference.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Wonder what the actual business case for the existence of the PS5 Pro might be. Can't be technical like raytracing, really. Or 8k or whatever. Introducing yet another SKU for a console platform that hasn't been maxed out yet at all seems ... unusual? Plus it will surely be expensive enough that only the 60fps diehards are going to choose it. So little incentive for developers at this stage to make full use of it.

I'd rather expect the slim version by now. You know, the cheap and cheerful model for the kid's bedroom.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Wonder what the actual business case for the existence of the PS5 Pro might be. Can't be technical like raytracing, really. Or 8k or whatever. Introducing yet another SKU for a console platform that hasn't been maxed out yet at all seems ... unusual? Plus it will surely be expensive enough that only the 60fps diehards are going to choose it. So little incentive for developers at this stage to make full use of it.

I'd rather expect the slim version by now. You know, the cheap and cheerful model for the kid's bedroom.
The timing could have been better as the gaming studios are undergoing layoffs. Gaming development takes time and resources. 3-6 years is probably the time line for when we’ll see titles that have from the ground up been designed to fully exploit the added hardware and software of the PS5 PRo. With XSX and base PS5 it took 18-24 months before we studios released “enhanced for” updates.

This is the downside of console games. The graphics and visuals aren’t as scalable as PC where you can throw in new GPU and instantly unlock higher quality textures that are already in the game. With consoles, games are packaged more efficiently with only the textures that are needed and will be used.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Bit of a tip which includes the Xbox Series too, I was thinking where is my PS4 to PS5 Fallout 4 update? Couldn’t find anyway to get it, then I realised I installed Fallout 4 on my USB hard drive lol, and of course PS5 and Xbox do not run new gen games off hard drives. I’m moving my to my internal SSD now and fingers crossed get the PS5 update then.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Anybody check out the Silent Hill transmission?

They showed loads of SH2 Remake gameplay and it does look really good imo!

I pre-ordered a while back and seeing this makes me glad I did.

Reactions: windrider42

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
There's still GTA6, new Assassin's Creed, Ghost of Tsushima 2, and Wolverine all coming soon-ish. And then there's follow ups on the radar for Skyim, Mass Effect, Spider-Man etc. It got off to a slow start for sure, but I don't think we're at peak PS5 gaming yet either.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I have a US/NTSC PS2 as well as a Euro/PAL one here. But the loading times, the coarse display on a big LCD TV, that super-basic controller and the slow memory cards aren't exactly easy to deal with 20 years later. :)

Sadly my 1st gen Foreman-grill PS3 failed after a few years of use (POS generation of consoles, quality-wise). Still, seemed like the most convenient way to play PS2 games on.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Anybody check out the Silent Hill transmission?

They showed loads of SH2 Remake gameplay and it does look really good imo!

I pre-ordered a while back and seeing this makes me glad I did.
The original didn’t rely much on action, right? you had scarce resources to defend/attack with fire weapons IIRC (too many years have passed, although Laura’s Theme is timeless).

This new gameplay shows a bit more action oriented game, and I’m okay with that, as long as they provide you with enough ammo for your weapons. I know, this isn’t Call of Duty or even Resident Evil… but the new shoulder camera view is more enjoyable when you have ammunition to spend shooting in that view. Unpopular opinion, I know.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Can we all agree it is the worst PS ever and generation in general. I only play PS2 now with my next purchase being a dreamcast.

I would call it the most underutilized PS gen in modern history.

I actually agree with both of you. For me the PSX was the most impactful as a child (because of the jump to 3D and the many great games that came between 1996 and 1999), and PS2 is overall the gen I enjoyed the most, with TONS of games, many of them really great, and new game mechanics that, many of them, survived until the current days.

I don’t have a PS5 yet. I was planning to buy one when it got smaller and lighter, then I decided to wait until the PS5 Pro but I suspect it will also be huge… and now some people say the gen is approaching its end… so at this point I’m not really sure of getting a second hand PS5 slim, or just outright wait until PS6. Due to rumors of next Xbox getting released sooner, maybe the PS6 is also released sooner, and with the jump to N3E process node for next gen chips (right when the newest TSMC products will be shifted towards N2 during 2025), hopefully we’ll get a big jump in both efficiency and raw computing power.

I was hoping for the PS6 gen to implement AI into their game development, but I’m not quite sure AMD will have an APU with AI-capable hardware ready so soon… In my opinion, AI is the next big thing on games, right there with the PSX jump to 3D, or the graphics improvements seen on PS2 and PS3. To the point that it can actually revolutionize many old mechanics, that keep being used since the PS2 days.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I actually agree with both of you. For me the PSX was the most impactful as a child (because of the jump to 3D and the many great games that came between 1996 and 1999), and PS2 is overall the gen I enjoyed the most, with TONS of games, many of them really great, and new game mechanics that, many of them, survived until the current days.

I don’t have a PS5 yet. I was planning to buy one when it got smaller and lighter, then I decided to wait until the PS5 Pro but I suspect it will also be huge… and now some people say the gen is approaching its end… so at this point I’m not really sure of getting a second hand PS5 slim, or just outright wait until PS6. Due to rumors of next Xbox getting released sooner, maybe the PS6 is also released sooner, and with the jump to N3E process node for next gen chips (right when the newest TSMC products will be shifted towards N2 during 2025), hopefully we’ll get a big jump in both efficiency and raw computing power.

I was hoping for the PS6 gen to implement AI into their game development, but I’m not quite sure AMD will have an APU with AI-capable hardware ready so soon… In my opinion, AI is the next big thing on games, right there with the PSX jump to 3D, or the graphics improvements seen on PS2 and PS3. To the point that it can actually revolutionize many old mechanics, that keep being used since the PS2 days.
Assume the PS6 launch in 2027. Gaming studios are risk averse and only start developing for new hardware and software once tried and tested. It takes 3-7 years to develop a game or even an engine for a new hardware. Therefore the earliest you would see full fat PS6 games would be 2030.

I would just buy a ps5, enjoy the present or if you want graphics that are better than a ps5 buy a mini itx pc next year and enjoy ps6 graphics right away. There is now a PS launcher for PC. More Sony exclusives will come to PC. I wouldn’t rule out a Sony branded handheld either.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Saw the PS5 Slim in store at the weekend, I am now sorely tempted to trade my OG PS5 in for it as it's a lot smaller. And doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.
Did anyone else swap to the new slim?

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Saw the PS5 Slim in store at the weekend, I am now sorely tempted to trade my OG PS5 in for it as it's a lot smaller. And doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.
Did anyone else swap to the new slim?
I’m still considering it, to be honest. I’m not sure it’s worth getting the Pro but at the same time, I think it would be wiser to wait and see it, and maybe the slim gets cheaper.

Size matters to me (that’s what she said) and I didn’t get the OG PS5 because of how colossal it was.

Reactions: Pezimak

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If/when there's a PS5 Pro I could be tempted. The size of it doesn't bother me. It's on a shelf and I don't really look at it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’m still considering it, to be honest. I’m not sure it’s worth getting the Pro but at the same time, I think it would be wiser to wait and see it, and maybe the slim gets cheaper.

Size matters to me (that’s what she said) and I didn’t get the OG PS5 because of how colossal it was.

Yeah the OG is a giant, honestly I’m actually considering getting a Series X, it has a lot of games I like. PS5 not so much. May see if I can swing it to have both. But it gets annoying when Sony makes these behemoths then slims them right down 3 years later lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.