Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Prediction for next Mac mini release:

2025 Q1
M4
Four Thunderbolt 4 (no USB-A)
12 GB RAM
256 GB SSD

2025 Q1
M4 Pro
Four Thunderbolt 4 + two USB-C (no USB-A)
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
I think we will have a better idea of minimum RAM when the M4 MacBooks come out (especially if we see what the M4 MBA comes with) but why would Apple get rid of USB-A when there's potentially USB keyboards and mice to be connected to the Mini? I think it's more likely that they keep those 2 ports.

There's already a clue with the M4 iPad Pros though - these appear to show either 8Gb or 16Gb depending on storage purchased. The Macs will obviously be more flexible and from a marketing standpoint is more logical to a consumer - 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM is a lot less confusing than 12Gb or 16Gb which makes an upper tier look less attractive - not good for upsell.

And I could see M4 in a Mac only accommodating 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports (technical limitation) because that's what the earlier Mx (non Pro or Max) products support (Mini and iMac). There would appear to be no problem with M4 Pro supporting 4 Thunderbolt 4 because that's what the M2 Pro Mini supports.

So the question comes down to release date.

M2 Mac Mini was announced in January 2023
M3 iMac was announced in November 2023.

And Apple appear to be making the 'dead-end' N3B process (the entire M3 range) as short lived as possible to reduce costs.

I think it's entirely feasible for an October/November 2024 launch of M4 series to go in laptops and desktops assuming Apple can deliver an M4 Max and M4 Ultra in the Studio series.

They will want to improve margins again and get rid of M3 series from their product lineup (notice how it never appeared in certain products) as soon as practical.

Interestingly though, Ross Young appeared to predict OLED iPad Pros as coming in 2024 way back in 2022 (great prediction there).

Would an OLED 13" MacBook Pro straight up using the higher density 13" iPad Pro tandem OLED display (4x3 aspect ratio) make for a surprise product announcement? There might even be room on the taller keyboard for a return of the Touch Bar which would explain why that controversial item survived the move to Apple Silicon for 1 generation :p

Or would that be trolling the macOS on an iPad crowd?

But this is a walk off topic somewhat, my Mac mini prediction is a drop in replacement M4 CPU with same storage, connectivity, and RAM spec to be launched as soon as October this year so Apple can purge the M3 series as soon as practical.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
The new (refurb) mac mini is coming to me soon..July 3rd!

since im enjoying the mountain lion and Sealion experience so much this week,
i decided to purchase a replacement mac mini 2012 from OWC, my third one.

Reactions: bice and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think we will have a better idea of minimum RAM when the M4 MacBooks come out (especially if we see what the M4 MBA comes with) but why would Apple get rid of USB-A when there's potentially USB keyboards and mice to be connected to the Mini? I think it's more likely that they keep those 2 ports.
Thunderbolt can be converted to USB-A with a $3 adapter, with full USB-A functionality. USB-A cannot be converted to Thunderbolt or even USB4 with full USB4 functionality.

Also see below re: Thunderbolt controllers.

There's already a clue with the M4 iPad Pros though - these appear to show either 8Gb or 16Gb depending on storage purchased. The Macs will obviously be more flexible and from a marketing standpoint is more logical to a consumer - 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM is a lot less confusing than 12Gb or 16Gb which makes an upper tier look less attractive - not good for upsell.
The 8 GB iPad Pro actually appears to be 12 GB - 2 x 6 GB - with 4 GB disabled, according to teardowns.

And I could see M4 in a Mac only accommodating 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports (technical limitation) because that's what the earlier Mx (non Pro or Max) products support (Mini and iMac). There would appear to be no problem with M4 Pro supporting 4 Thunderbolt 4 because that's what the M2 Pro Mini supports.
M4 has four Thunderbolt controllers, as seen in the die shot. M1/2/3 have only two.

Interestingly though, Ross Young appeared to predict OLED iPad Pros as coming in 2024 way back in 2022 (great prediction there).

Would an OLED 13" MacBook Pro straight up using the higher density 13" iPad Pro tandem OLED display (4x3 aspect ratio) make for a surprise product announcement? There might even be room on the taller keyboard for a return of the Touch Bar which would explain why that controversial item survived the move to Apple Silicon for 1 generation :p
Ross Young predicts 2026 for OLED MacBook Pros, meaning that the next MacBook Pros will not have OLED.

Last edited:

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I am in the camp that thinks M4s will ship with 12 GB minimum. 8 GB is pathetic (Apple knows it) and 12 GB is the next logical/economical step up.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I am in the camp that thinks M4s will ship with 12 GB minimum. 8 GB is pathetic (Apple knows it) and 12 GB is the next logical/economical step up.
They'd have to do the top tier with 24Gb RAM then, doesn't look right otherwise.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The 8 GB iPad Pro actually appears to be 12 GB - 2 x 6 GB - with 4 GB disabled, according to teardowns.
Whatever is under the hood, the M4 still officially starts at 8GB so you can't really predict future Mac RAM sizes from that. It's no great revelation that the M4 could take 12GB when even the M2 goes up to 24GB. Quite possibly, it's just a temporary supply chain glitch on the 4GB chips & they're keeping the option to go back to 8GB base when that's sorted. Otherwise, why not just give people 12GB and avoid the inevitable criticism? Esp. since the better model is 16GB, not 12GB so it's not like they can save on logistics by only having to make 12GB M4 packages - and even that upgrade is quietly bundled with the (expensive) 1TB SSD upgrade.

I think they'd get a lot of pushback if they tried that trick on a Mac - artificially knobbling specs happens, but is never a good look. RAM size isn't such a headline issue on iDevices, but on a Mac where they'd be offering upgrades to 16 and 24GB for their usual not-so-generous prices it would be very unpopular.

I think the pressure on Apple is going to be that the new Copilot+ ARM-powered PCs now start at 16GB - whereas, before, people could defend Apple's specs by cherry-picking something like a Surface Laptop with 8GB base spec and Apple-like upgrade prices.

Thunderbolt can be converted to USB-A with a $3 adapter, with full USB-A functionality. USB-A cannot be converted to Thunderbolt or even USB4 with full USB4 functionality.
...but extra USB-A ports are easier/cheaper to implement, consume less resources (e.g. TB has a higher, 15W, minimum power output) and still support up to 5Gbps USB 3.1 gen 1 (10Gbps 3.1 gen 2 actually, but Apple has never supported that) which accounts for an awful lot of peripherals in use. They're still very useful to have in addition to USB-C. Even the on-chip TB controllers seem to need an Intel TB re-timer chip to drive the physical port, so actual TB ports don't come free with on-chip controllers.

M4 has four Thunderbolt controllers, as seen in the die shot. M1/2/3 have only two.
That sets an upper limit on the number of TB ports - it doesn't mean Apple has to use them all in a particular machine. E.g. the M1/2 Ultra studio - since the Ultra is two Max dies fused together it presumably has 8 TB controllers - but "only" 6 of those are available on the Studio. Likewise, the Pro/Max MacBook Pros only have 3 physical TB ports although the chips have at least 4 controllers.

The only desktop that has totally dumped USB-A so far is the 24" iMac - and new lines have been released after that, such as the M2 Pro Mini and the Mac Studio range, which do have USB-A - ... including the M2 Pro Mini models which also have 4 TB ports.

...and if Apple are prepared to knobble a 12GB Mac down to 8GB, they won't feel any compunction about restricting the number of TB ports to differentiate models.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007

Also see below re: Thunderbolt controllers.

I genuinely missed that - not been paying too close attention to new stuff recently.

Let me add images from the Mac tech specs page - M2 model shown below:
io_m2__fvlnfjkzi9m6_large.jpg

And now the M2 Pro model:

io_m2_pro__b0ipnwkhg6eq_large.jpg

I think on that basis Apple would just use the M2 Pro back board cut out to allow all 4 Thunderbolt ports to be usable unless they are being mischievous and limiting M4 models to just the 2 Thunderbolt ports for market segmentation purposes [insert space for booing here]. They could even settle for a middle option of having 2 of the ports be just plain old USB-C (10mbit/sec) like on the iMac 24.

It does make a compelling case for an M4 Pro to be introduced into the 24" iMac though. the over specified PSU could support it and the current case does have a 4 USB-C cut out version for the majority of the models.

This is where my point comes in, how to you segment the M4 Pro if you can have an M4 Mini with the same 4 Thunderbolt ports and just 4Gb less memory? It just makes the base model too attractive for people who need the ports but not the horsepower.

It realistically means the M4 Pro mini has to start with 24Gb RAM just to give that proper segmentation.

One other option could also see a base M2 Mini hang around as a cheap starter machine [no options] while the M4 model goes upmarket as a middle tier model with 12Gb RAM while the M4 Pro starts at a higher still price with the 24Gb RAM - kind of like a junior Mac Studio (and don't forget even that comes with USB-A ports)

Ross Young predicts 2026 for OLED MacBook Pros, meaning that the next MacBook Pros will not have OLED.
I would have thought OLED would require a case redesign to accommodate for sure so Apple will want a 4th gen of the current 14 and 16 inch models to amortise the costs on the current design before switching things up with OLED.

And I'll add that Ross Young might not be aware of a new Mac if it was using the same panels as the 13" iPad Pro (at the higher iPad density) though.

My wacky idea - and this would legitimately include a battery (tap of the nose for people still indulging in THAT thread) would see a 4x3 aspect ratio iPad Pro screen used in a 13" MacBook Pro with that tandem OLED screen. If indeed M4 can accommodate

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
That sets an upper limit on the number of TB ports - it doesn't mean Apple has to use them all in a particular machine. E.g. the M1/2 Ultra studio - since the Ultra is two Max dies fused together it presumably has 8 TB controllers - but "only" 6 of those are available on the Studio. Likewise, the Pro/Max MacBook Pros only have 3 physical TB ports although the chips have at least 4 controllers.
It was my thinking that the 4th thunderbolt controller on the 14/16" MacBook Pros were running things like the HDMI port and SD slot. Nothing comes for free it would seem and Apple just made a compromise by reducing flexibility in return for user convenience.

As you also mention, the controllers might be there but there's more probably things to consider when fully implementing a Thunderbolt port which might push up the price of the final product.

And the marketing folks would get their oar in and complain if they couldn't differentiate the M4/M4 Pro enough. If AI is going to be a thing going forward and this pushes Apple to start handing out more RAM across the board then prices may rise or (in the Mini's case) there's an argument for retaining M2 as base model.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This is where my point comes in, how to you segment the M4 Pro if you can have an M4 Mini with the same 4 Thunderbolt ports and just 4Gb less memory? It just makes the base model too attractive for people who need the ports but not the horsepower.
USB4 is Thunderbolt. (Well, USB4 is not 100% Thunderbolt, but it incorporates a lot of Thunderbolt's features and for Apple products, AFAIK all USB4 ports are actually also Thunderbolt ports.) USB-A is on its way out, and actually I was a bit surprised that the M2 Mac mini preserved the USB-A ports. I had thought the M1 Mac mini was the transitional machine with USB-A, and then M2 would be the new revamp with USB-A eliminated.

That didn't happen, but I still think USB-A will be eliminated sooner rather than later. It turned out M2 only had 2 Thunderbolt controllers, but the missing piece is now in place with M4 since it has 4 Thunderbolt controllers. They wouldn't have bothered doing this, at a significant die area penalty too, if they weren't going to use them.

To make use of those 4 Thunderbolt controllers, they would have at least 3 Thunderbolt/USB4 ports, but possibly 4.

It should also be noted that all iOS and iPadOS devices released in the last year are now USB-C too.

BTW, we recently did a kitchen renovation, and for the electrical outlets we got some with USB. We spec'd dual USB-C for all of them. The problem with USB-A is limited charging compatibility and power. USB-C is more robust specs-wise for charging.

It realistically means the M4 Pro mini has to start with 24Gb RAM just to give that proper segmentation.
No it doesn't. M4 Pro also has the faster SoC, more ports, and bigger SSD. Furthermore, they can play with the pricing tiers as appropriate.

Furthermore, M4 Pro Mac mini could start at 18 GB. In fact, the M3 Pro MacBook Pros already start at 18 GB.

One other option could also see a base M2 Mini hang around as a cheap starter machine [no options] while the M4 model goes upmarket as a middle tier model with 12Gb RAM while the M4 Pro starts at a higher still price with the 24Gb RAM - kind of like a junior Mac Studio (and don't forget even that comes with USB-A ports)
That is also a possibility, or they could even eliminate the M4 Pro completely. But I don't think they will do either.

I still think it will be M4 12 GB base and M4 Pro but perhaps the latter with 18 GB base (instead of 16 GB).

I would have thought OLED would require a case redesign to accommodate for sure so Apple will want a 4th gen of the current 14 and 16 inch models to amortise the costs on the current design before switching things up with OLED.
Yes, OLED would mean a case redesign, and it would probably go thinner. It would make sense from that stand point to be 2026, in line with Ross Young's prediction.

And I'll add that Ross Young might not be aware of a new Mac if it was using the same panels as the 13" iPad Pro (at the higher iPad density) though.

My wacky idea - and this would legitimately include a battery (tap of the nose for people still indulging in THAT thread) would see a 4x3 aspect ratio iPad Pro screen used in a 13" MacBook Pro with that tandem OLED screen. If indeed M4 can accommodate
There won't even be a 13" MacBook Pro. The smallest MacBook Pro is 14.2", and I highly doubt they will regress with size, especially if OLED brings about a lighter form factor. 13" is restricted to the MBA, and even that isn't 13". It's 13.6", and it won't be going OLED anytime soon.

And neither will be 4:3. They just won't.

Whatever is under the hood, the M4 still officially starts at 8GB so you can't really predict future Mac RAM sizes from that. It's no great revelation that the M4 could take 12GB when even the M2 goes up to 24GB. Quite possibly, it's just a temporary supply chain glitch on the 4GB chips & they're keeping the option to go back to 8GB base when that's sorted. Otherwise, why not just give people 12GB and avoid the inevitable criticism? Esp. since the better model is 16GB, not 12GB so it's not like they can save on logistics by only having to make 12GB M4 packages - and even that upgrade is quietly bundled with the (expensive) 1TB SSD upgrade.
Because of marketecture concerns.

They are still selling 8 GB MacBook Pros and will be for many more months. AFAIK, iPads have never shipped with more base RAM than MacBook Pros. I don't expect the iPad Pros to go to 12 GB until the MacBook Pros go to 12 GB, meaning that I predict that the 2025 14" M4 MacBook Pro will ship with 12 GB RAM base, and then the 2026 M5 iPad Pro will also ship with 12 GB RAM base.

So, no you can't predict that the use of 6 GB chips in the M4 iPad Pro means the next Mac mini and MacBook Pros are definitely going to 12 GB base, but that possibility has gotten much, much more likely, and that is in fact what I am expecting. Just the fact that those 6 GB chips are there in the iPad Pro M4 illustrates that it's gotten to the point that Apple and/or Micron feel the 6 GB chips are cheap enough to use even when the design marketecture only specs 4 GB.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
They are still selling 8 GB MacBook Pros and will be for many more months. AFAIK, iPads have never shipped with more base RAM than MacBook Pros.
They're happy shipping them with newer-generation processors than MacBook Pros, though - and "M4" is there in large, friendly letters on the iPad ads whereas the RAM size is buried down in the tech specs.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
It was my thinking that the 4th thunderbolt controller on the 14/16" MacBook Pros were running things like the HDMI port and SD slot. Nothing comes for free it would seem and Apple just made a compromise by reducing flexibility in return for user convenience.
My guess would be that it is running the internal display. The M1 Max Studio has 4xTB and HDMI and SD so the difference is the internal display. I'd also guess that at least on the M1s - the re was an "internal" DisplayPort connection in addition to the TB controllers that was used for the internal display on the M1 Air and the (only) HDMI 2.0 on the Mini/Studio M1 but it wasn't up to running the displays in the 14/16" MBPs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
They're happy shipping them with newer-generation processors than MacBook Pros, though - and "M4" is there in large, friendly letters on the iPad ads whereas the RAM size is buried down in the tech specs.
Sure, nothing Apple does is 100% predictable, but nonetheless I think 12 GB is coming, partially for the reasons stated. I had originally predicted 2025-2026, but now I'm predicting early 2025 because of the M4 iPad Pro with 12 8 GB RAM.

The one question I have though is whether or not Xcode AI code completion will run on 12 GB Macs. Currently it requires 16 GB Macs but Macs with 12 GB soldered RAM don't actually exist yet so there was no reason to spec 12 GB. However, the spec requirements for Xcode AI code completion could possibly change once 12 GB Macs arrive.

P.S. Off topic but one rumour for the Switch 2 specs is 12 GB RAM, utilizing two 6 GB 7500 MT/s modules, which is exactly the same specs as the memory in the iPad Pro.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Apple has already been laying the ground work with the iPhone that 8GB is enough for AI functionality. I would imagine that 8GB will still be offer in their lowest cost configuration possibly with a binned processor too. Perhaps 12GB will later be offered as a software/firmware upgrade [as ugly as that seems]. Apple makes too much profit from selling RAM & SSD upgrades to just leave that cash in consumer’s pockets

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple has already been laying the ground work with the iPhone that 8GB is enough for AI functionality. I would imagine that 8GB will still be offer in their lowest cost configuration possibly with a binned processor too. Perhaps 12GB will later be offered as a software/firmware upgrade [as ugly as that seems]. Apple makes too much profit from selling RAM & SSD upgrades to just leave that cash in consumer’s pockets
That's just it. It's come to the point now that 12 GB RAM is now really cheap in the supply chain. I mention above that the Switch 2 is rumoured to ship with 12 GB RAM (2 x 6 GB), and Nintendo is well-known to keep the specs modest on their consoles to meet a cheap price point. Apple can gain a few PR points by releasing the Macs with 12 GB RAM without costing them much.

Enthusiasts and pros will still want/need to upgrade, but that will be to 18 or 24 GB RAM. If Apple really does ship Macs with 12 GB base, and I believe they will this coming generation, it will be interesting what memory tiers Apple will offer and at what price points.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It does make a compelling case for an M4 Pro to be introduced into the 24" iMac though. the over specified PSU could support it and the current case does have a 4 USB-C cut out version for the majority of the models
Unless the M4Pro chip (with its heat sink) is significantly smaller and produces less heat than the M3Pro chip it would not fit on the iMac “stick motherboard” and the tiny iMac fans would not be up to the cooling job either. With all of those components forced into the iMac chin there isn’t space unless they modify the iMac chassis.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
That's just it. It's come to the point now that 12 GB RAM is now really cheap. They can gain a few PR points by releasing the Macs with 12 GB RAM without costing them much.
But it was never about the cost of materials, it is about losing money from people Not paying for more RAM and bigger SSD. Money on the table is a bigger inducement than a few PR points for Tim Cook’s current Apple

Reactions: thebart

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
But it was never about the cost of materials, it is about losing money from people Not paying for more RAM and bigger SSD. Money on the table is a bigger inducement than a few PR points for Tim Cook’s current Apple
It's both.

Memory prices have progressively been becoming cheaper and more available in the supply chain, while 8 GB base at Apple's retail prices is becoming less and less acceptable. OTOH, Apple has introduced a 24 GB option now for memory upgraders though. In previous years they did not. IOW, Apple has introduced a new memory upgrade option where one didn't exist before, so a new 12 GB base would fit in there nicely.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
It's both.

Memory prices have progressively been becoming cheaper and more available in the supply chain, while 8 GB base at Apple's retail prices is becoming less and less acceptable. OTOH, Apple has introduced a 24 GB option now for memory upgraders though. In previous years they did not. IOW, Apple has introduced a new memory upgrade option where one didn't exist before, so a new 12 GB base would fit in there nicely.
memory prices may be cheap but SSD has been creeping up since the historic lows of last year. Apple will have hedged in advance so we don’t know whether or not they are profiting to the degree they wish from ‘cheaper’ or ‘more expensive’ components over time.

one thing Apple will be aware of is manufacturers discontinuing parts as demand falls so if Micron stop doing 4gb memory modules in favour of 6gb ones that would force them into changes.

24gb of ram has become an option thanks to the manufacturers - we would need to follow the industry to see if at the low end manufacturing 4gb modules becomes infeasible due to low demand (for example).

One thing that is likely to move the needle is AI. If Microsoft have had to move up to 16Gb for Co-pilot then Apple - who probably don’t want people’s experience with their new shiny feature to be less than good - might be planning the first big upgrade in RAM for years.

Especially as Apple want more processing to be done on-device.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
There's already a clue with the M4 iPad Pros though - these appear to show either 8Gb or 16Gb depending on storage purchased.
Whatever is under the hood, the M4 still officially starts at 8GB so you can't really predict future Mac RAM sizes from that.

Both the M1 iPad Pro & the M2 iPad Pro also had 8GBB & 16GB RAM options, dependent upon which tier of storage was purchased...

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Not sure that Apple would start offering upgrades like that though. Not a good look.

i think the decision to go AI might see the regular iPhone 16 get a version of the A18 cpu on the basis that 8gb ram is important for the non pro phone. The A17 pro had 8gb of ram too but Apple would be unlikely to it in a carry over product due to wanting to stop using the dead end N3B process.

if the M4 mini starts with 12Gb ram then the m4 pro surely has to start with 24Gb as Apple will allow them to be compared side by side.

compare with the m3 MacBook Pro 14 starting with 8Gb while the M3 pro started on 18gb - more than double.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Thanks for these posts today, people!
yes memory is much cheaper nowadays, which i forgot.
and 12GB of RAM should be sufficient for everyday computer usage, i hope!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
memory prices may be cheap but SSD has been creeping up since the historic lows of last year. Apple will have hedged in advance so we don’t know whether or not they are profiting to the degree they wish from ‘cheaper’ or ‘more expensive’ components over time.

one thing Apple will be aware of is manufacturers discontinuing parts as demand falls so if Micron stop doing 4gb memory modules in favour of 6gb ones that would force them into changes.

24gb of ram has become an option thanks to the manufacturers - we would need to follow the industry to see if at the low end manufacturing 4gb modules becomes infeasible due to low demand (for example).
Yes, the theory is that 4 GB chips at high memory speeds aren't really worth manufacturing at such high volume anymore. If you want near-LPDDR5X class speeds, the sweet spot is 6 GB and up. The new Macs will be running these speeds, likely at least 7500 MT/s.

LPDDR5 is 6400 MT/s. LPDDR5X is 8533 MT/s. However, the iPad Pro M4 runs at 7500 MT/s, and the Switch 2 is also rumoured to run at 7500 MT/s, both with 2 x 6 GB chips. I expect the M4 Macs to do the same.

One thing that is likely to move the needle is AI. If Microsoft have had to move up to 16Gb for Co-pilot then Apple - who probably don’t want people’s experience with their new shiny feature to be less than good - might be planning the first big upgrade in RAM for years.

Especially as Apple want more processing to be done on-device.
AI needs 8 GB RAM. AI predictive code completion in Xcode needs 16 GB RAM, but we won't know until 12 GB Macs arrive if it would also run on 12 GB RAM Macs. But like I said, the higher end Pro models would come with 16-18 GB anyway.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Both the M1 iPad Pro & the M2 iPad Pro also had 8GBB & 16GB RAM options, dependent upon which tier of storage was purchased...
Yes, but the M4 comes with 12 GB RAM (2 x 6 GB) with 4 GB deactivated, or at least the ones in the teardowns did.
The M1 and M2 came with 8 GB RAM (2 x 4 GB).

M1 runs LPDDR4X.
M2 runs LPDDR5 6400 MT/s.
M3 runs LPDDR5 6400 MT/s.
M4 runs LPDDR5+* 7500 MT/s.

*7500 MT/s is faster than LPDDR5, but is not as fast as LPDDR5x. It's in-between, but it appears it isn't unique to Apple. It seems Nintendo may be adopting this in their Switch 2 as well, and also at 12 GB.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.