Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Agreed customization is not for everyone. But at least Apple is moving in the right direction.

For the bolded above...have they? I am running IOS 18 DB1 and it has a way to go to putting things wherever we want them. They still snap to a grid in a lot of ways. But it is still in beta so we will see what the finished product is in Sept.
But I gotta say the DB1 is pretty sweet. The most stable beta release in recent memory.

The snap left is still there and can mess things up. Also found that widgets will sometimes float above it all not allowing it to be placed in a space big enough. Wish widgets were scaleable instead of next/previous size.

Still, it is a step in the right direction IMO. ;)

UPDATE: same issue with beta 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Agreed customization is not for everyone. But at least Apple is moving in the right direction.

For the bolded above...have they? I am running IOS 18 DB1 and it has a way to go to putting things wherever we want them. They still snap to a grid in a lot of ways. But it is still in beta so we will see what the finished product is in Sept.
But I gotta say the DB1 is pretty sweet. The most stable beta release in recent memory.
Sorry, by grid snapping I meant the mechanism where it always moves it to first available space up and left. It’s still a grid but you can at least now place free form around that grid. Android still uses a grid format too, no (though I know you can adjust the size of the grid)?

Reactions: dk001 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry, by grid snapping I meant the mechanism where it always moves it to first available space up and left. It’s still a grid but you can at least now place free form around that grid. Android still uses a grid format too, no (though I know you can adjust the size of the grid)?
I haven't seen anything that we could change the grid yet. But I would love to change the grid to 5x6. Having an extra row of icon on the bottom dock would be very nice.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Was sitting down to breakfast this morning running through some new stuff on the 15 ProMax running iOS 18. It just kind of dawned on me that across all the phones I use and test, I keep coming back to the S24 Ultra. The iPhone is nice and with iOS 18 has the potential to be better, the look, the feel, the general usage, the iPhone, even the 15 ProMax, places second. From what I have seen that is coming with the iPhone 16, unless there is a surprise, the status quo will stay the same; the iPhone is second fiddle IMO. Have to see just what Apple unveils come September.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Beta 2 the tinted icons do seem better and don’t ruin widgets as much. I was sticking with dark mode icons but tinted could work and I’m sure will get better before launch

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Was sitting down to breakfast this morning running through some new stuff on the 15 ProMax running iOS 18. It just kind of dawned on me that across all the phones I use and test, I keep coming back to the S24 Ultra. The iPhone is nice and with iOS 18 has the potential to be better, the look, the feel, the general usage, the iPhone, even the 15 ProMax, places second. From what I have seen that is coming with the iPhone 16, unless there is a surprise, the status quo will stay the same; the iPhone is second fiddle IMO. Have to see just what Apple unveils come September.
I been saying that since iPhone 3 and why i dont own one anymore. Its always behind and has potentual to be better but falls more behind every year. How long has Siri been around? Still crap and just now seems they care about making it better.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
It’s only in beta 1 and already looks better in beta 2

this is certainly to the final product

also dark mode icons developers will update apps to make it match
It definitely doesn’t look better in beta 2. Maybe Apple will polish it up one day.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It definitely doesn’t look better in beta 2. Maybe Apple will polish it up one day.

The difference isn’t massive but it’s better in beta 2. Colours on widgets aren’t as extreme and there’s a different tint to the options

It’s beta 2 after all it needs work and still not close to public release so plenty of work for improvements. If Apple can have it so widgets aren’t affected with icons it would be manageable

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I installed beta 3 this morning and damn, to me it all looks so ugly.. Kinda thinking about switching to S24U

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
You can, without having to go through shortcuts, make them white based, black based, or tint all a specific shade.
Different and lame but it is a change.
I guess I’m just a bit confused. I’m seeing a lot of hate for the icons, but isn’t it the exact same thing android does?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I guess I’m just a bit confused. I’m seeing a lot of hate for the icons, but isn’t it the exact same thing android does?
I think what folks expected... was the ability to completely change an icon. Apple gave us the ability to only change the color... I think some expected different shapes as well.

I personally don't see the issue with the change but given the rumors... folks hoped for something much more ambitious.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think what folks expected... was the ability to completely change an icon. Apple gave us the ability to only change the color... I think some expected different shapes as well.

I personally don't see the issue with the change but given the rumors... folks hoped for something much more ambitious.
Ohhhh I gotcha. Makes sense. I've never been a big icon changer, but when I had the S23 Ultra, I really did enjoy changing color pallets, but absolutely HATED how only stock icons would change and 3rd party apps wouldn't. I don't know if Samsung figured that out, but if Apple is able to change all icons including 3rd party, that is huge, imo.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Ohhhh I gotcha. Makes sense. I've never been a big icon changer, but when I had the S23 Ultra, I really did enjoy changing color pallets, but absolutely HATED how only stock icons would change and 3rd party apps wouldn't. I don't know if Samsung figured that out, but if Apple is able to change all icons including 3rd party, that is huge, imo.

Many of us were hoping that Apple’s solution was the ability to change icons without having to go through the “Shortcut” process. What they did introduce was pretty minimal and needs work.
But it is a beta.

Reactions: mjschabow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.