Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I, for one, am glad Apple got rid of the touchbar. Just recently purchased the 2021 MBP 16” M1 Pro and before I did, I made sure the touch bar was gone. I know some liked and some did not but I prefer the traditional keyboard for my use.

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Another update, mic hole under the touch bar appears to be for keyboard noise cancellation. On th A2251 facetime call keyboard noise cancellation doesn't work as well compared to my M1 MBP (I think same touch bar, same mic design). Possibilities are

- Didn't clean out the mic hole as well as necessary
- Original apple touch bar had a cutout on the touch bar sticky tape where the mic hole is
- Mic got damaged by IPA/glue during touch bar replacement
- Aftermarket touchbar transmits more keyboard sounds? (it does seem dimmer than my M1)
- M1 keyboard noise cancellation works better than A2251?

Anyone else with similar experience after touchbar replacement?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.27.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.27.45 AM.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.28.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.28.23 AM.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: tinygoblin

DanielYoussef

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
My situation is more awful than you all :\.
I'm an Egyptian software developer.
- in 2018 I bought MB Pro 16" 512GB 32GB for 60k EGP (3000$ at that time).
- after 11 months in 2019 I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and then it didn't turn on again and did all kinds of solutions but no clue. Likely at that timing, I had 1 month remaining in the warranty. I went to the official apple reseller and they changed the board in Apple UAE for free and I received it again after 1 month.
- 8 months ago (Jan 2022) touch bar started to flicker.
- 5 months ago (Jun. 2022) it dead again after a battery drain to 0%. I went to the official apple reseller he told me that I'm out of the warranty and it needs a new logic board, new keyboard, new touch bar & new battery for 50k EGP so its better to you to buy the new M1 14" for 45k EGP :(. I was about to lose my job and all my life went dark (I use it 14h daily!). I went to a famous shop in Cairo that can fix any Apple device called Trojan Stores. They took it for 1 month and don't know what they did but they told me that they have fixed a thunderbolt IC and replaced the battery all for 8k.
- at the same current year we are facing stagflation and inflation and our currency dropped 40% .. The new M1 Pro 512GB now for 63k and 16" 512GB for 73k while if I sold this 2018 Intel i7 one it worth 13k (562$) here 😂

Last edited:

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You seem to know what you're talking about. 😄 I have the same Touch Bar issue, where currently it will crash after sleep (or sometime overnight) Currently I've been just shutting the thing down and that seems to be solving it. Do you think this is a long term solution? I'm docked 99% of the time so have the luxury of not needing to open or close the lid. I'm more concerned with my files, and whether the logic board or something larger than the Touch Bar is failing. Don't need the Touch Bar to function. Based on your experiments, it sounds like I might be good to go?

dcjams

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2022
Evening

Just wanted to add my experiences of this pos touchbar flicker bs.

Mid-2020 13" MBP i7/32Gb/1Tb.

It cost £2,600 new!

It's less than three years old and the touchbar's stuck in disco mode. I'm being told the entire mainboard needs replacing at close to £1,000 :mad:

This model isn't covered by the keyboard repair program.

What really f's me off is that this particular laptop couldn't have been better looked after. It's spent its entire life indoors and shut connected to an external monitor.

I appreciate people's suggestions to buy a new one or temproary software fixes but that's hardly the point.

This is clearly a design flaw and Apple should repair it foc.

I noticed above somebody attenpted a self-repair. I will investigate.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Every owner affected should email directly to TCook… i will do eventually when my i9 16incher will start flicker

Reactions: Queen6

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I have just days before my two year government backed Apple warranty expires and am taking mine in. It's obviously got something to do with the light sensor in my case because it only happens in low light. Disabling the light sensor is not an option for me, just a bandaid. Want it fixed so I can sell my M1 MBP and get a more powerful Mac. I will miss the Touch Bar, but I won't miss the blinding disco. I prefer working in very low light conditions so it really is blinding.

touchbarflicker

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2024
Has anyone had the Touch Bar flicker with the M1 Pros as of yet??
Yes it happened on my 2020 M1 Pro although I suspect it's a hardware issue. I tried turning off the touchbar in settings, as well as force quitting it from activity monitor, but although it successfully turns off the touchbar it still flashes a blinding white rectangle on the right half.

Queen6

macrumors G4
This script may help

1 global computerIsInUse, resetTime
3 on run
4 set computerIsInUse to true
5 set resetTime to (do shell script "date +%s") as integer
6 end run
8 on idle
9 set idleTime to (do shell script "ioreg -c IOHIDSystem | awk '/HIDIdleTime/ {print $NF;
10 if idleTime is greater than 7.4E+10 then
11 if computerIsInUse then
12 do shell script "pkill TouchBarServer" user name "YourUserNameGoesThere
13 set computerIsInUse to false
14 end if
15 end if
16 if idleTime is less than 7.4E+10 then
17 set computerIsInUse to true
18 end if
20 set now to (do shell script "date +%s") as integer
21 if (not computerIsInUse) and ((now - resetTime) is greater than 59) then
22 do shell script "pkill TouchBarServer" user name "YourUserNameGoesThere" passwo
23 set resetTime to (do shell script "date +%s") as integer
24 end if
25 return 1
26 end idle

Keeps the TouchBar active, so it doesn’t go off. To be exact, it restarts TouchBar every time it goes off therfor stopping the flicker.

Apple will want to replace the top case & Logic Board which is utter BS as the TouchBar can be replaced in isolation, admittedly is a royal PIA do so as it's typically glued in place :(

Q-6

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Replacing 2019 MBP with touchbar. This one has a single microphone below the touch bar. Mic needs to be peeled back before using ISO to remove the touchbar to not destroy it. Here is the hole below the touchbar.

IMG_2414.jpeg

Note depending on MBP model, mic is in different locations.

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.