Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Yes, I want a case for the Magic Keyboard case. Such is life when a $350 keyboard accessory has a silicone outer shell. I love Apple silicon and usually buy 2-3 silicone cases each iPhone generation…because Silicone doesn’t age well. The material on the Magic Keyboard is somewhat better but honestly just travels poorly and gets smudged, etc. I would have loved a hardshell version of the Magic Keyboard case but that probably would’ve been $450. Crisis averted.

I think I ideally want a simple sleeve (leather?) to put it in before throwing in my bag but I would also be open to a hardshell outer case for the iPad Pro 13” M4 that’s always attached. From my 5 minutes on Google, don’t think there’s anything that’s specifically made for this new model…yet. I see several viable options for the 12.9” M2 model. If you come across anything, please add here.

Reactions: julesme

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I’ve been looking for something similar, and I’m surprised that there aren’t more options. I’ll probably get the Burton Goods leather case, but it doesn’t ship until “mid-June.” In the meantime, I bought a Tomtoc sleeve from Amazon for $21.

This is my first Magic Keyboard, and I don’t think the soft outer shell will hold up to heavy daily usage (being constantly carried around, etc). I say this because the Smart Keyboard Folio has a similar outer shell, and mine is in tatters after 3+ years of heavy usage, being carried around, handled by the sides, etc. Once the outer shell falls apart on the SKF, there is a very cheap-looking cardboard underneath it.

Reactions: Trey M

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
This is my first Magic Keyboard, and I don’t think the soft outer shell will hold up to heavy daily usage (being constantly carried around, etc).
I've had two 11" Magic Keyboards and they both were OK but I travel more now than I ever have and I just don't trust the durability. The beautiful thing about my 2018 11" iPad Pro was that it literally lasted me 4 years and would've been longer had it not been stolen o_O But with this new 2024 model, I anticipate it lasting a similar amount of time and I need something to protect the silicone after multiple years of travel in and out of a bag.

Looking forward to what we find! I also saw the Tomtoc but I like to buy the right thing, once. Would be a temp case for me.

Reactions: julesme

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I’ve been looking at this:
I have used the previous company that turned into Burton, Pad and Quill, their case were excellent. I to am waiting you the Magic Keyboard one to ship.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’ll probably get the Burton Goods leather case, but it doesn’t ship until “mid-June.”
Burton is one of the only ones, probably the best, but Dodo also makes a similar one. They have 2 that appear to be available now. They are much less expensive than Burton but I’m not a fan of those elastic straps.

Reactions: Davidalan

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I’ve been looking at this:
I have used the previous company that turned into Burton, Pad and Quill, their case were excellent. I to am waiting you the Magic Keyboard one to ship.
Thanks for this! This is probably option #1 for me and I probably will order one. Will post back here if I do. Premium price but at least its from a reliable brand. So painful that my Magic Keyboard + case will be north of $500 but this is what happens when Apple makes premium hardware with a silicone outer shell.

The ONLY thing I like about the silicone is that if it’s stacked on top of my MBP, it doesn’t scratch or rub metal on metal. Which the Burton case would also help negate, btw. So news to Apple, make a proper hard shell outer case.

Reactions: Davidalan

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Burton Onyx Black 13” pre-ordered. 15% was a nice touch. Now to wait 😊
I’ve been debating back and forth on that one. The black would also be what I’d choose. That wasn’t shown as an option a few days ago.

Reactions: Trey M

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
It looks like it is going to be another Otterbox Defender I have used this case for years on my iPhone and I had one on my last iPad. I am not going to use a folio case or a the keyboard the goes with it. This iPad is not leaving the desk much and my Keychron Keyboard pairs with it nicely, and I am going to pair my spare logi trackball to it. The Defender case is very protective but is also makes the iPad much easier to hang onto. The only concern I might have is with heat retention. This was not an issue with the earlier iPad Air, or with any of my iPhones.

I would never consider this simply due to the built in screen protector. Defeats the whole purpose of why you spend $2K on this device, which is the OLED. Glass screen protectors are great, this one is not. This also does not support the MK.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I would go this route:
Very nice suggestion...I have owned multiple Waterfield sleeves and they are top notch. I am also a sucker for Black Ballistic anything.

May go this route if I don't like the Burton. Not sure how I'll feel about an always attached case until I have it.

Thanks for the input!

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I grabbed a Waterfield Air Caddy in X-Pac.

Air_Caddy_Front_WEB.jpg

It's made to be an insert in another bag, and there's no padding to speak of aside from a little to protect devices from each other inside it. But the iPad in the MKB or Folio is already pretty sturdy structurally, and this does protect everything from getting scratched/scuffed while keeping all my accessories together.

There's enough space in it to hold the iPad+Folio+MKB and a magnetic screen protector, along with a slot for the Pencil and space for chargers, batteries, etc. There's also a front pocket with mesh holders sized to fit a Kindle Oasis/Paperwhite or similar. I'm pretty sure a Switch Lite would fit in the holders too.

The really nice thing about the bag is it's specifically sized to fit in airplane seat pockets, so you can load it up with whatever you'd use on the flight (for me, the above, probably minus the Folio). Instead of fumbling with your bag under the seat or in overhead to swap gear out, you can slide this into the pocket in front of you. That's where having it in smooth X-Pac instead of Waterfield's waxed canvas or leather options is nice--it slips into other bags and pockets really well.

Aside from the lack of padding (necessary to keep it slim) my only real dig is I wish it had a loop or handle for carrying. But like I said, it's really made to be a secondary insert for something else, and there's enough spare material around the periphery with the iPad inside that it's not awkward to handle. I'm pretty sure the whole thing, loaded, would fit in a 15" laptop compartment or cheap neoprene sleeve if you do need more padding for a trip.

Last edited:

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I would go this route:
That looks pretty similar to my Waterfield Outback Solo case, just with a canvas flap instead of leather. I've really enjoyed the Outback Solo as a work briefcase for my MBP, and I imagine this one is just as good.

Reactions: Davidalan and jazz1

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
The Defender, at least for the iPhone, does not come with a screen protector anymore. Just looked the one for the iPad does not have it anymore either. I have not decided if I am going to install a glass screen protector on this iPad.

Capture 2024-05-23_04-52-31_PM.png

Not sure where you're getting that from, it says it in writing and is also shown in the product pics.

I have found my case 😍😍😍😍😍😍 I have the philosophy you get what you pay for; MacCase. Not going with a 10 cent case on a $2000 Dollar iPad

View attachment 2381067
Appreciate the suggestions but the subject of this thread were cases which were also compatible with the Magic Keyboard (MK). Or a sleeve which obviously doesn't require iPad to be separated from MK. The Otterbox and this aren't compatible with the MK. Probably should've been a bit clearer there. Hope you do enjoy the case.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Brother from another mother 😀 This is exactly the case I have for my iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard. Also carries Airpods Pro 2, some Caffeine gum and lifesavers. It goes with me to dialysis.

Tom

edit: was using a standard backpack but that ended up being filled with stuff I didn’t need to take with me into dialysis (cables, portable hard drive, tripod, etc - and it had no protection). If Otterbox made an iPad Pro case I’d buy that.

Reactions: ManuCH

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Brother from another mother 😀 This is exactly the case I have for my iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard. Also carries Airpods Pro 2, some Caffeine gum and lifesavers. It goes with me to dialysis.

Tom

edit: was using a standard backpack but that ended up being filled with stuff I didn’t need to take with me into dialysis (cables, portable hard drive, tripod, etc - and it had no protection). If Otterbox made an iPad Pro case I’d buy that.

Well, also, the case is called like you 😉

Reactions: Thomas Davie

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
That was fast, "Usually ships within 1 - 2 months". 🤨

I'm curious as to if these are even made yet, as other listings also have dates of delivery a month out.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just pre-ordered. I have used Woolnut for years and they are excellent.

Last edited:

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I just pre-ordered. I have used Woolnut for years and they are excellent.

This is exactly what I got !

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.