Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Makes sense - if you aren't using something, at least get some value!

For me the Deck is wonderful - I don't mind the size or weight, and I love SteamOS on the portable ... so much better than Windows!

I have no clue if MS will do an XBOX Portable, let alone do it competently - Sony has shown it is possible to both succeed and fail(and at the same time)! And they are much better at this stuff than MS. Nintendo has an amazing history, and the Steam Deck allows for playing about 100x more games than an XBOX system would.

I think I'll get the new Switch model. But I'll take a look if Sony make another handheld. And I'll certainly see what the next Stead Deck is like.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I have the Steam Deck OLED and upgraded it to a 2TB drive but... I don't use it much.

I tend to pick up the Switch OLED for portable gaming as (with a grip) it's much lighter and comfier in the hand and all the games are designed with portable play in mind and the Switch's (weak) hardware. For my hands the Steam Deck is just a shade to large, making the thumbsticks feel like an uncomfortable stretch. The games also can be a struggle, particularly on-screen text.

The Steam Deck is not up for sale any time soon, but even though it does things just about as well as I could have hoped for, I am hoping more for a Switch 2 than a Steam Deck 2.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I think I'll get the new Switch model. But I'll take a look if Sony make another handheld. And I'll certainly see what the next Stead Deck is like.

Sony totally whiffed with whatever 'remote play' thing they put out in recent years ... I still have and occasionally use my PS Vita, which was such a sweet device that Sony really failed.

I know I'm different than many, but I have no interest in 'TV gaming', and was happy to move on from laptop to Steam Deck & Switch.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Sony totally whiffed with whatever 'remote play' thing they put out in recent years ... I still have and occasionally use my PS Vita, which was such a sweet device that Sony really failed.

I know I'm different than many, but I have no interest in 'TV gaming', and was happy to move on from laptop to Steam Deck & Switch.

I had the Vita twice but again meh, didn’t hold onto it. Yet I still have my launch PSP which I think is awesome, but I prefer to emulate its games on my iPhone or iPad these days as the screens are bigger and my PSP is very old now and squeaks a bit when the disk drive is in use. I play my Switch Lite a lot though. My PS5 handles big screen games when I can find the time.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I had the Vita twice but again meh, didn’t hold onto it. Yet I still have my launch PSP which I think is awesome, but I prefer to emulate its games on my iPhone or iPad these days as the screens are bigger and my PSP is very old now and squeaks a bit when the disk drive is in use. I play my Switch Lite a lot though. My PS5 handles big screen games when I can find the time.
For me a big attraction of the Vita is the backwards compatibility to PSP ... I tend to be an early adopter - so I had the launch PSP, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, and PSP-Go ... but sadly sold them each off to help finance my penchant for gadgets :D

Agreed that the screen size that was fine a decade ago feels tiny now - but using it for games you have already played somehow feels differently because you are revisiting something.

Also I have never found 'virtual controls' to be even 10% as good as REAL controls ..

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
For me a big attraction of the Vita is the backwards compatibility to PSP ... I tend to be an early adopter - so I had the launch PSP, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, and PSP-Go ... but sadly sold them each off to help finance my penchant for gadgets :D

Agreed that the screen size that was fine a decade ago feels tiny now - but using it for games you have already played somehow feels differently because you are revisiting something.

Also I have never found 'virtual controls' to be even 10% as good as REAL controls ..

I should have mentioned I have been using a Dual Shock controller from my PS4, I would never use the on screen controls on the emulators. Been thinking of the Backbone One for my iPhone too. Only time I use on screen controls is when it’s a mobile game built to use them, Mario Kart or Diablo Immortal work fine with them.

Reactions: txa1265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.