Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
The good news:

Yes, on this motherboard (Asus ProArt Creator Wifi X670-E), you can plug the discrete GPU DP-OUT into the motherboard's DP-IN, and then connect the CalDigit TS4 to the motherboard's EC1 (top-most USB4/TB3 out) USB-C slot. You will get 5k (not 6k) display, and your mouse/keyboard all working through one cable, like everything else that uses the TS4.

The bad news:

If you are also running your peripherals through the same connection (the whole point of using the dock), it is unstable as hell. Lag, lockups, crashes, etc.

But direct connection from GPU and direct peripherals works great, no stability issues.
Interesting. Is that (the instability) possibly a constraint of the USB-4 out, I wonder?

I just built a PC with a gigabyte motherboard (Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE X WIFI7) and picked up the GC-Maple Ridge thunderbolt 4 card for it. DP-out from GPU to DP-in on the thunderbolt card; plugged my CalDigit Element hub that I use with a Mac Studio and a MacBook Pro-- Pro Display XDR is running at 6k and the same keyboard and mouse are working. Fantastic. I haven't tested it extensively to see if there are stability issues though-- I've only just fired it up and tested it briefly.

Aside from not having native controls (brightness, etc) or HDR (not a deal breaker-- it's a big win to be able to have one keyboard / mouse / display) the only issue I see is that I don't get a signal on the XDR until Windows loads, it seems. (I don't see the bios / post screen).

Last edited:

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I just switched from the regular Pro Display to the Nano Texture version and oh my gosh what a game changer. No more glare from lights, no more adjusting shades, no more trying to pretend the glare isn’t there. I wish I would have gotten this one a long time ago instead of the glossy.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I just switched from the regular Pro Display to the Nano Texture version and oh my gosh what a game changer. No more glare from lights, no more adjusting shades, no more trying to pretend the glare isn’t there. I wish I would have gotten this one a long time ago instead of the glossy.
Did yours end up selling on these forums or elsewhere? I have a Pro Display XDR to sell but have been having no luck on Reddit.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I still have my two 30" ACD displays. The matte is a game changer. I enjoy working in a bright environment with tons of windows. The standard glass displays drive me crazy with all the reflections. I wish I could afford the XDR. I would get one with Nano for $3k but I can't justify $6k+.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Did yours end up selling on these forums or elsewhere? I have a Pro Display XDR to sell but have been having no luck on Reddit.

Sorry I didn't see this. I actually sold it locally. Trying to sell the XDR here on MacRumors is pretty much useless as you are just going to get people lowballing you nonstop.

Reactions: DaveOP

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I still have my two 30" ACD displays. The matte is a game changer. I enjoy working in a bright environment with tons of windows. The standard glass displays drive me crazy with all the reflections. I wish I could afford the XDR. I would get one with Nano for $3k but I can't justify $6k+.

I would assume they are going to start offering these displays on the MacBooks. That will be an immediate buy for me as I really do prefer the nano display.

solardudesf

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
I would assume they are going to start offering these displays on the MacBooks. That will be an immediate buy for me as I really do prefer the nano display.

Personally I dislike the nanotexture. Having to have a special way to clean them that makes them different from all other screens makes me jittery. The colors definitely are also muted when compared to the glossy. Glad they make it an option since some prefer one way and others prefer the other way.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Personally I dislike the nanotexture. Having to have a special way to clean them that makes them different from all other screens makes me jittery. The colors definitely are also muted when compared to the glossy. Glad they make it an option since some prefer one way and others prefer the other way.

To each their own. I massively prefer the Nano display over the glossy after using both of them.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The newer Nanotexture screens on the iPads Pro works differently. Much lower maintenance. I assume it is the next generation of the process.

Reactions: solardudesf

solardudesf

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
The newer Nanotexture screens on the iPads Pro works differently. Much lower maintenance. I assume it is the next generation of the process.

Thanks, though I don’t believe you are correct. Here is Apple's webpage that has been updated for nanotexture glass on the M4 iPads.

Reactions: Mactagonist

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Thanks, though I don’t believe you are correct. Here is Apple's webpage that has been updated for nanotexture glass on the M4 iPads.

Interesting. I will have to try to get into an Apple Store to go hands on with one of the new iPads with nano texture.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Do you guys think there is any chance of display updates at WWDC? I was hoping maybe an update XDR and better yet, the current model dropping in price if a V2 is announced. Wishful thinking, I guess. LMAO

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Do you guys think there is any chance of display updates at WWDC? I was hoping maybe an update XDR and better yet, the current model dropping in price if a V2 is announced. Wishful thinking, I guess. LMAO
No hardware updates are expected at WWDC.

sartorius

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Too few rumors suggesting something like this would happen, along with the likes of Ross Young saying not this year.

So I went ahead and bought the current model full price a few weeks ago 😛 Only two days to wait to see if this was a mistake!

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The recent iMad Pro was released with the quote:
"The new iPad Pro with M4 is a great example of how building best-in-class custom silicon enables breakthrough products,” said Johny Srouji, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Technologies."

So any new Apple Displays will only come when Apple needs:
1. to 'enable a new breakthrough product', and
2. they have new 'best-in-class custom silicon/panel technology'.

The Pro XDR Display XDR was originally released to enable the newly announced 2019 Mac Pro to reach its potential:
"up to eight 4K displays, four 5K displays, or six 6K Apple Pro Display XDRs" and four Thunderbolt 3 ports and one HDMI 2.0 port on the card and fourDisplayPort connections routed to the system to support the internal Thunderbolt 3 ports"

With the delays to the recent M4 iMac Pro's introduction being caused 'allegedly' by production difficulties with the 'new Ultra Retina XDR display's groundbreaking tandem OLED technology', and with rumours of a forthcoming 'x4 Hidra Extreme' Mac Pro - delayed to sometime next year - maybe...
I don't think there is a chance in hell in any new displays being announced until the stars align and Apple can announce a new pairing of new "best-in-class custom silicon enabling breakthrough products"...

herp

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
Sorry to dig up an old post but I am going through a similar saga with my iMac right now. When I try to link the agreement to my AppleID the webpage says "We weren't able to link your agreement" and I have called support 3 times and no one has any idea what to do. Is yours still linked? Any suggestions I can try?

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
The recent iMad Pro was released with the quote:
"The new iPad Pro with M4 is a great example of how building best-in-class custom silicon enables breakthrough products,” said Johny Srouji, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Technologies."

So any new Apple Displays will only come when Apple needs:
1. to 'enable a new breakthrough product', and
2. they have new 'best-in-class custom silicon/panel technology'.

The Pro XDR Display XDR was originally released to enable the newly announced 2019 Mac Pro to reach its potential:
"up to eight 4K displays, four 5K displays, or six 6K Apple Pro Display XDRs" and four Thunderbolt 3 ports and one HDMI 2.0 port on the card and fourDisplayPort connections routed to the system to support the internal Thunderbolt 3 ports"

With the delays to the recent M4 iMac Pro's introduction being caused 'allegedly' by production difficulties with the 'new Ultra Retina XDR display's groundbreaking tandem OLED technology', and with rumours of a forthcoming 'x4 Hidra Extreme' Mac Pro - delayed to sometime next year - maybe...
I don't think there is a chance in hell in any new displays being announced until the stars align and Apple can announce a new pairing of new "best-in-class custom silicon enabling breakthrough products"...

Do our fellow thread posters have any other takes on this?

How do you rate the chances of Apple releasing a new "Apple Pro Display Ultra Retina XDR" within roughly the next year? Given that M4 has launched, via the iPad Pro, with 120 Hz ProMotion display that does 1000–1600 nits at 2 million:1 contrast ratio (the same nits as Pro Display XDR, but OLED conrast). An upcoming M4 Mac Pro or Mac Studio would presumably include Thunderbolt 5.

Is it likely that we will see such announcements autumn 2024, or summer 2025?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Haha, having used Mac products since the early 1990s, I've learnt that Apple has a huge capacity to disappoint...
If Apple have had difficulty producing new screen tech on iPad sized screen panels, I don't think they are anywhere near shipping an updated 32" screen.

But once in a while Apple ships a highly refined new product, 'out of the blue' as it where...
Buy what you need at this point in time, otherwise keep waiting.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
But once in a while Apple ships a highly refined new product, 'out of the blue' as it where...
I agree. Look back to the previous Apple Cinema Display 30", introduced in 2004.
After waiting for more than a decade. The Pro Display XDR was introduced in 2019.
How long will the wait for the next large display?

Take PaulD-UK advice: Buy what you need at this point in time.
I did just that earlier this spring, and purchased a second-hand glossy Pro Display XDR with the stand

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
An upcoming M4 Mac Pro or Mac Studio would presumably include Thunderbolt 5.

Is it likely that we will see such announcements autumn 2024, or summer 2025?
Considering that first devices with TB3 appeared in 2016, the next big display will be in 2028 at least.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I agree. Look back to the previous Apple Cinema Display 30", introduced in 2004.
After waiting for more than a decade. The Pro Display XDR was introduced in 2019.
How long will the wait for the next large display?

Take PaulD-UK advice: Buy what you need at this point in time.
I did just that earlier this spring, and purchased a second-hand glossy Pro Display XDR with the stand

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

I am also looking at the second-hand market, but the prices I've found so far are still relatively high, for e.g. around 2-year old Pro Display XDR units. Therefore I'm interested anecdotally what others have paid for it recently. A refreshed edition of the Pro Display release may lower the value on the market of the existing Pro Display XDRs probably a fair bit, though I don't suspect the effect would be huge.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Haha, having used Mac products since the early 1990s, I've learnt that Apple has a huge capacity to disappoint...
If Apple have had difficulty producing new screen tech on iPad sized screen panels, I don't think they are anywhere near shipping an updated 32" screen.

I tend to agree with you, but to be fair the capacity to disappoint is a result of folks like us getting sucked into echo chambers like Macrumors forums and convincing ourselves that a given upgrade is possible, then logical, then probable, then imminent, then certain, etc.

Reactions: PaulD-UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.