Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
The iMac is not connected to the Mac Studio or the Samsung monitor by a cable. Only the Samsung and the Mac Studio are connected by HDMI. I configured it through the System Settings. I access the System Settings on the Mac Studio and select Mirror or Extend to iMac. All three are on the same network and Bluetooth is enabled. The Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mice are connected to the Mac Studio and work no matter which screen I work with. Both iMac and Mac Studio are running Ventura and the OCLP on the iMac is Ventura.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, it has to be the older iMacs w/ miniDisplay Port/Thunderbolt then the cable has to be the USB-C to miniDisplay Port cable or Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt or USB-C to USB-C or a mix depending on the iMac or Samsung input for display https://support.apple.com/kb/sp576?locale=en_US, newer iMacs sadly can't be used (check everymac.com) as extended monitor (an example of an iMac that can't be used an extended monitor is the Late 2015 iMac but there may be earlier or later models that can't be used as extended monitor).

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
Hi, it has to be the older iMacs w/ miniDisplay Port/Thunderbolt then the cable has to be the USB-C to miniDisplay Port cable or Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt or USB-C to USB-C or a mix depending on the iMac or Samsung input for display https://support.apple.com/kb/sp576?locale=en_US, newer iMacs sadly can't be used (check everymac.com) as extended monitor (an example of an iMac that can't be used an extended monitor is the Late 2015 iMac but there may be earlier or later models that can't be used as extended monitor).
Yes that's true. My unsupported iMac is working because I installed OCLP. Are you saying even with OCLP mine shouldn't be working?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I mean as extended monitor, as a hardware feature, as long as it's the older iMac it can be used as an extra screen.
OCLP should work with some non-metal iMac and will work with Metal iMacs, true.

Reactions: coolbreeze2

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I just tried all kinds of ways to use the iMac as the only monitor for Mac Studio. It's a no-go with OCLP. This also means my idea of getting another 5K iMac 27 and using iMacs and not the Samsung as 2 monitors of Mac Studio will not work. Oh well, I'm very happy with the iMac as an extended display of my Samsung.

Php4u

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Has anyone else came across an upgrade or install issue with Ventura on a 2010 Mac Pro? I have been trying to upgrade or fresh install Ventura on a NVMe drive? Using OCLP 0.6.7, Monterey works fine on the SSD and the boot picker appears. However, when I try to upgrade or do a fresh install on the NVMe drive, the install seems to perform but stalls out during the initial boot process. The screen progress bar stalls at about 40%. I have tried to move the PCIe card to different slots with no success. I have reset NVRAM with negative results.

Any suggestions?
Update - I re-read the following from the Dortonia website, which essentially speaks to my issue - will not boot Ventura on my 5,1. They note that my RX580 will work because they bypass the AVX2 instructions requirement as Alvin777 noted. So for now, I will swap out my rX5600 for my rx580. I will advise.

AMD Polaris, Vega and Navi support on pre-2019 Mac Pros and pre-2012 iMacs​

For users with 2008 to 2013 Mac Pros (MacPro3,1-6,1) and 2009 to 2011 iMacs (iMac9,1-12,2), keep in mind that macOS Ventura now requires AVX2.0 support in the CPU (opens new window)for native graphics acceleration. Thus while your GPU may be natively supported, you cannot run Ventura officially with these GPUs.

• CPUs supporting AVX2.0 are Haswell or newer, which no pre-2019 Mac Pros can be upgraded with.
Currently at this time, OpenCore Legacy Patcher only supports patching the AMD Polaris and Vega Graphics stack to no longer require AVX2.0. We're recently received an AMD RX 6600 donation, so hopefully in the future the project can support AMD Navi with pre-Haswell Macs. However, no time estimates can be given.

Following GPUs are applicable:

GPU ArchitectureModel FamiliesSupported
AMD PolarisRX 4xx/5xx (10/20 series)Supported with patching
AMD VegaVega 56/64/VII (10/20 series)
AMD NaviRX 5xxx/6xxx (10/20 series)Unsupported

#

Php4u

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Epilog - solved!

Unable to install Ventura on a 4,1-5,1 with an RX 5xxx/6xxx series GPU, but a stock RX580 works fine and boots correctly. And the NVMe disk speed performance is good too!

Thank you OCLP team, your bootloader software is fantastic.

I hope this helps someone else.

Attachments

• cMPVentura.jpeg
    cMPVentura.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 60
  • diskspeed.jpg
    diskspeed.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reactions: BBDDVV and Alvin777

algernonpule

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
Bristol, UK
Hello all, I have asked around and have not received a sufficient or correct response, so here it is, will try to keep it short:
1. iMac Late 2012 with 10.8.5 installed - on this iMac I cannot download the OCLP (github Assets do not show up and downloaded app will not run on older version of Mac OS).

Q1: Is there a OCLP that will run on 10.8.5?
Q2: When trying to create an OCLP on my newer MAC (running 13.2), the OCLP App won't patch the USB disk as it detects a newer MAC and won't run the Patch. Is there a way around this?
Q3: Is there an upgrade path recommended? Can I just go from 10.8.5 to 13.2 or do I have to take some steps?

Many Thanks.
Firstly, sorry for such a late reply. I have the same Mac, and my main advice would be to upgrade to Catalina first, as that will bring your iMac up to the most recent firmware, and then you'll be able to run OCLP, create a USB Ventura installer, and go from there. My iMac runs just fine on Ventura, so it's worth going for!

Php4u

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
OCLP question to the group - I have Windows 11, Monterey, and Ventura on separate disks in my cMP 5,1 and want to know if there is a way to designate a particular OS as the default boot disk/OS? I built this machine for my kids as a gaming rig and want to have it boot to Windows 11 as a default.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
OCLP question to the group - I have Windows 11, Monterey, and Ventura on separate disks in my cMP 5,1 and want to know if there is a way to designate a particular OS as the default boot disk/OS?
"Reboot the machine while holding Option to select the EFI Boot entry with the OpenCore icon (holding the Control key will make this the default boot entry)"
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/BOOT.html

Reactions: Alvin777 and Php4u

Php4u

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Well, I tried the Control key with negative results. I think (??) its because my Windows 11 disk is formatted NTFS, and OCLP requires FAT32? Do I need to reformat the drive as FAT32 or ExFAT to install OCLP? Can I edit a file manually that can change my default disk?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited:

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I screwed up, sonoma automatically downloaded and when the computer wanted to restart, I let him.. so it installed half way and said the installation can’t be finished and I can’t go back either. I guess my best chance is to wait for sonoma support and make an installation stick then and reinstall? n

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I screwed up, sonoma automatically downloaded and when the computer wanted to restart, I let him.. so it installed half way and said the installation can’t be finished and I can’t go back either. I guess my best chance is to wait for sonoma support and make an installation stick then and reinstall? n
Hi, Open Patcher for Sonoma will be out on Oct. 2 (check Mr. Macintosh on Youtube, click his notification bell), for now you could install (will downgrade) the macOS at your Mac's maximum macOS until then, either install and run external (might need to borrow another Mac or virtual machine on a Windows either on Boot Camp or a real PC then connect the VM to the USB) or create a partition on the same Mac and install the maximum macOS the Mac supports (hopefully your Mac can do recovery install wherein it download's the maximum macOS for your machine on the internet even if you don't have a USB installer, else either create on on a VM or another Mac).

When Open Patcher for Sonoma launches, you could use the downgraded to create a Open Patcher 1.0 and use that to boot onto Sonoma then fix from there (if it can't boot, you can reinstall, perhaps just overwrite, instead of a fresh install Open Patchered Sonoma.

May it work.

Reactions: MrMacintoshBlog

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Well, I tried the Control key with negative results. I think (??) its because my Windows 11 disk is formatted NTFS, and OCLP requires FAT32? Do I need to reformat the drive as FAT32 or ExFAT to install OCLP? Can I edit a file manually that can change my default disk?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
You could set on macOS System Settings, search Startup then set to (may need to enter your Mac account's password) Windows 11 as default start up for good measure.

band visuals

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2023
Hello, I have OCLP running on a Mid 2014 MBP. It seems to work fine. I have a Ventura and Mojave partition. In Mojave I am trying to install Lacie raid software for a Thunderbolt 2 raid. I need a couple of system extensions to install. Unfortunately when I click on security > allow the extensions > restart > system says rebuilding extesion cashe, then after restart I get the same alert - system you have new extentsions that need approving. I've been trying everything I can think of - logging in as a root user, for example. I can't get safe mode to work in OCLP. I have almost the latest version of OCLP. The extention / kext from Marvell is in the extention folder in the library.

Any idea if this is a specific OCLP problem that requires a special OCLP solution ? Much obliged to any ideas. Even shots in the dark.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hello, I have OCLP running on a Mid 2014 MBP. It seems to work fine. I have a Ventura and Mojave partition. In Mojave I am trying to install Lacie raid software for a Thunderbolt 2 raid. I need a couple of system extensions to install. Unfortunately when I click on security > allow the extensions > restart > system says rebuilding extesion cashe, then after restart I get the same alert - system you have new extentsions that need approving. I've been trying everything I can think of - logging in as a root user, for example. I can't get safe mode to work in OCLP. I have almost the latest version of OCLP. The extention / kext from Marvell is in the extention folder in the library.

Any idea if this is a specific OCLP problem that requires a special OCLP solution ? Much obliged to any ideas. Even shots in the dark.
Safe mode: Cold start, Option key to get the boot-Picker, select and hit the EFI icon and then....
Hold down the left shift key as you select and hit the target startup disk.
Did that work?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003

Hi, best practice for OCLP (usually almost trouble free with Mac with Metal capable GPUs9) is to create the latest macOS installer (USB or other external means) even if the macOS update is minor and then use the latest OCLP installing the patches first before updating the macOS. Even better: create a just enough space partition (they say at least 60GB) and then install the macOS using the OCLP made macOS installer to test things out first on that small test partition.

The only hiccup I've had (Mac w/ Metal capable GPU) is usually the Wifi doesn't work after I update (I try to avoid that by patching it first with the latest OCLP patches/drivers before updating the macOS even if it's a .1.1) but it's easily solved if you plug in an iPhone or iPad w/ cellular data with Hotspot feature ON so it can download things it need or I plug in the ethernet to the internet modem/hub (inconvenient but it's a fast solution).

Last edited by a moderator:

band visuals

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2023
Safe mode: Cold start, Option key to get the boot-Picker, select and hit the EFI icon and then....
Hold down the left shift key as you select and hit the target startup disk.
Did that work?
Thanks for this advice davidlv. I did boot into safe mode in the is way. I uninstalled the Lacie Raid Manager software and reinstalled it. I clicked on the security settings to allow the extensions. But unfortunately this did not help. When I launch lacie it says the Marvell extension is not installed. When I go to Security and Privacy in Ventura there is still a long list if extensions requiring approval, but not matter how many times I approve them they don't seem to install properly. Do you know if this is an OCLP problem, and if so, it there work around - to manually approve the extensions some how. I wander if they should be in the user or system library. Thanks again for the top tip on safe boot.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks for this advice davidlv. I did boot into safe mode in the is way. I uninstalled the Lacie Raid Manager software and reinstalled it. I clicked on the security settings to allow the extensions. But unfortunately this did not help. When I launch lacie it says the Marvell extension is not installed. When I go to Security and Privacy in Ventura there is still a long list if extensions requiring approval, but not matter how many times I approve them they don't seem to install properly. Do you know if this is an OCLP problem, and if so, it there work around - to manually approve the extensions some how. I wander if they should be in the user or system library. Thanks again for the top tip on safe boot.
Sorry, no idea about the extensions and approval, way beyond my limited expertise.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003

Hi, if you have the latest 1.2.1 OpenCore-Patcher and patching it with that OpenCore don't make the Marvell drivers/extensions work, it's best to report it to Dortania and Mr. Macintosh (they're close) on Youtube, perhap the next update will fix the Marvell issue. I hope that works.

Reactions: band visuals

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
All working now on Sonoma on my MBP 2016 15.4, except for WiFi. Done the usual deletion of networking plists and restarted but still no wifi. Any suggestions folks. Are there more plists I need to delete to allow them to re-create? WiFi was working perfectly on Monterey. As this is my media server computer (dodgy keyboard) WiFi is totally essential.

Wilson

PS I have run the post install patcher and restarted for wireless with no improvement.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.