Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I got the Magic Keyboard with the M4 13” today. This keyboard is so much better than the older M2 keyboard. I like that key area, wrist rest, etc…, are all aluminum. But I am concerned that closing it on my iPad glass will scratch the glass. Is there any reason to be concerned?

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
I got the keyboard also, never ever had one before…. WHAT THE HELL this is awesome. It has a trackpad!!! It’s basically a laptop at this point. I got a screen protector on mine, I can’t imagine it would scratch but if you had like a crumb or something on it maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I got the keyboard also, never ever had one before…. WHAT THE HELL this is awesome. It has a trackpad!!! It’s basically a laptop at this point. I got a screen protector on mine, I can’t imagine it would scratch but if you had like a crumb or something on it maybe?
Yeah. Until I discovered the keyboard for my M2, it didn’t get a lot of use. As soon as I got it, my MacBook saw a LOT less use. 😂

Myrr

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I just picked up an 11 Pro and MK to go with - it’s awesome! Going to skin it as even though the white looks good now…. I wonder for later. I did notice this odd gap tonight when closed closest to the hinge. It sits flush when closed on the trackpad side. Anyone else notice this?
IMG_1174.jpeg

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I just picked up an 11 Pro and MK to go with - it’s awesome! Going to skin it as even though the white looks good now…. I wonder for later. I did notice this odd gap tonight when closed closest to the hinge. It sits flush when closed on the trackpad side. Anyone else notice this? View attachment 2379219
That’s my concern. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of gap between the aluminum and the glass. Even if the aluminum can’t scratch it, a bit of grit between them might.

Myrr

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
ah and I was more focused on the gap being uniform - I’m hoping this is just a minor aesthetic issue and a non-scratching issue as well.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
My 11" came with a chip on the front, not that bad but once you see you can't un see it.

View attachment 2379252
that looks like trouble.
this kind of cosmetic defect, although not unheard of, is so rare out of the box, that it looks to me like there is cause to worry about a lot more keyboards with the same problem. it looks like its poorly finished.
is that keyboard the black one or the white/silver one?

i also think that you can send it back to apple and get a new one.
if it can get attention high enough within apple, they will be rightly concerned.

• Haha

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
that looks like trouble.
this kind of cosmetic defect, although not unheard of, is so rare out of the box, that it looks to me like there is cause to worry about a lot more keyboards with the same problem. it looks like its poorly finished.
is that keyboard the black one or the white/silver one?

i also think that you can send it back to apple and get a new one.
if it can get attention high enough within apple, they will be rightly concerned.
Black one, will be going back for sure.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I just picked up an 11 Pro and MK to go with - it’s awesome! Going to skin it as even though the white looks good now…. I wonder for later. I did notice this odd gap tonight when closed closest to the hinge. It sits flush when closed on the trackpad side. Anyone else notice this? View attachment 2379219
I believe that is an intentional design. It’s the same on my 13 MKB. There is what appears to be a rubber border around the keys, as they are recessed into the base of the keyboard. This prevents the keys from contacting the screen when it is closed. So you have a slightly raised, or wider, gap at the rear tapering down to a narrower gap at the front. Some had complained about the keys causing some kind of damage to the screen in the previous MKB. I never had that issue but if you look at that gap in the rear you can see that the keys on this new MKB do not come anywhere near the screen.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that is an intentional design. It’s the same on my 13 MKB. There is what appears to be a rubber border around the keys, as they are recessed into the base of the keyboard. This prevents the keys from contacting the screen when it is closed. So you have a slightly raised, or wider, gap at the rear tapering down to a narrower gap at the front. Some had complained about the keys causing some kind of damage to the screen in the previous MKB. I never had that issue but if you look at that gap in the rear you can see that the keys on this new MKB do not come anywhere near the screen.
Being plastic, I think that the only way the keys could cause damage is if they rubbed against some grit that caused damage. When I realized I was going to use the MK on my M2, I put a screen protector on it.

I am much more concerned about the aluminum at the bottom of the keyboard. I know that aluminum has a MOHS hardness of 3 and the screen is at least 6 but I'm sure that they hardened the aluminum. It's not standard, bendable aluminum. I got an ESA paperfeel "magnetic" screen protector as a temporary so that the keyboard wouldn't touch the screen at all. I don't like it at all but until my ESA Armorite arrives next week, it'll do.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I’ve never used a screen protector on any device so I’m not concerned even though this case is of a different material. As long as the aluminum portion doesn’t shift side to side continuously I don’t think there’d be a problem. If such an issue arises I’m certain we’ll hear the howls erupt with Apple having to respond in some way to compensate buyers.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I’ve never used a screen protector on any device so I’m not concerned even though this case is of a different material. As long as the aluminum portion doesn’t shift side to side continuously I don’t think there’d be a problem. If such an issue arises I’m certain we’ll hear the howls erupt with Apple having to respond in some way to compensate buyers.
It seems like the only time Apple compensates buyers is in the case of losing a class action lawsuit.

I wonder if damage from the keyboard would be covered by AppleCare+. I actually bought it this time. First time ever getting AppleCare on any Apple product. It seemed like a good idea this time.

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
I’ve had the exact same concern the moment I closed the M4 iPad in this new Magic Keyboard. I put one of the ESR Amorite screen protectors on it, so I’m not worried about the scratching anymore. Unfortunately, at 0.3mm thick, the screen adds more weight than I was anticipating - it’s quite noticeable. Also, when drawing/writing with the pencil, diagonal lines end up being wavy. I attached a screenshot to show what I mean - you can see the horizontal/vertical lines of the box are (mostly) straight, but the diagonal lines in the box are not. It makes my handwriting look even more terrible than it already is 😆

IMG_0010.jpeg

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Also as heavy as a laptop with the MK. Sent my MK back after a day with it. I don’t need that kind of weight for an iPad.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well I finally got to spend sometime with my M4 iPad Pro 13" with the Magic Keyboard attached. I would say it is a step up from the Magic Keyboard I had on my M1 iPad Pro. The larger trackpad and functions keys are most welcome!

Did the Magic Keyboard make it a full laptop experience? No it did not. It remains an expensive but handy compromise. But, I do like the tablet experience on its own, and I do find it handy to strip the Magic Keyboard from the M4 iPad Pro when I know I'm pretty much going to use it as a device to consume content.

I did enjoy using the Magic Keyboard as long as it was on a desktop or on a lap board designed to hold a laptop on a lap. I did initially have to force myself to avoid using the touch screen and concentrate on the Magic Keyboard. It was almost like trying to use my right hand (I'm left handed) for day to day tasks. Eventually, I got in the groove with the trackpad.

Reactions: papbot

Pclaesen

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Loving the MK as well! Basically a lightweight laptop 'replacement' atm. Worried about the scratching as well, but I'm hesitatant to add a screen protector tbh. Usually it lessens the drawing, touch, experience. I just check for crumbs and other dirt before closing it.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I'm hesitatant to add a screen protector tbh
I’ve never used them but several years ago I had a case that had magnets in the cover which could be folded back into a stand. For some reason those magnets left some kind of imprint or smudge on the iPad screen. Cleaning the screen couldn’t get rid of those “smudges”. At that time I started using the thin paper-like wrap that comes inserted into new cases when they’re shipped. They are thin enough to have no impact in closing a case with the iPad in it. I also had at one time ordered a thin leather screen protector that’s available for laptops as well. This worked really well.

The big advantage in using these things is you don’t have to mess with the screen possibly altering its function. A sheet of notebook paper works just as well. If I start seeing a lot of complaints of screen damage from the Magic Keyboard that’s what I’ll use. So far I’ve seen none. I never will apply a piece of plastic to my iPad or phone screen, personally I think it’s a bad idea and many look awful.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Well I finally got to spend sometime with my M4 iPad Pro 13" with the Magic Keyboard attached. I would say it is a step up from the Magic Keyboard I had on my M1 iPad Pro. The larger trackpad and functions keys are most welcome!

Did the Magic Keyboard make it a full laptop experience? No it did not. It remains an expensive but handy compromise. But, I do like the tablet experience on its own, and I do find it handy to strip the Magic Keyboard from the M4 iPad Pro when I know I'm pretty much going to use it as a device to consume content.

I did enjoy using the Magic Keyboard as long as it was on a desktop or on a lap board designed to hold a laptop on a lap. I did initially have to force myself to avoid using the touch screen and concentrate on the Magic Keyboard. It was almost like trying to use my right hand (I'm left handed) for day to day tasks. Eventually, I got in the groove with the trackpad.
Me too. Way too expensive for what it is, but, also surprisingly better than I expected it to be.

Also am comparing with the much less expensive ESR Rebound Keyboard 360 which I also have here. That is a very good piece of kit (also with function keys) & especially for the money. But the Magic keyboard is just that much better aesthetically & in terms of keyboard feel, backlighting & possibly balance. Balance on the lap is a little better, but still a bit odd. The new angles also work better in this respect.

The thing really missing to me is a magnetic case with sides protection for the iPad itself; can only work nude with the Apple keyboard whereas the ESR came with a nice slim protective case for the iPad when removed. Keeping the ipad is as new condition has been important in the past, for resale, trade etc & we know just how often expect us to upgrade. I’m shooting for three years.

Will try with a Pitaka MagEZ case when it releases, but I hope this doesn’t effect the weight too much, is on the edge as it is. This is also meant to be compatible with their MagicEZ Folio, we shall see.

Reactions: jazz1

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
Me too. Way too expensive for what it is, but, also surprisingly better than I expected it to be.

Also am comparing with the much less expensive ESR Rebound Keyboard 360 which I also have here. That is a very good piece of kit (also with function keys) & especially for the money. But the Magic keyboard is just that much better aesthetically & in terms of keyboard feel, backlighting & possibly balance. Balance on the lap is a little better, but still a bit odd. The new angles also work better in this respect.

The thing really missing to me is a magnetic case with sides protection for the iPad itself; can only work nude with the Apple keyboard whereas the ESR came with a nice slim protective case for the iPad when removed. Keeping the ipad is as new condition has been important in the past, for resale, trade etc & we know just how often expect us to upgrade. I’m shooting for three years.

Will try with a Pitaka MagEZ case when it releases, but I hope this doesn’t effect the weight too much, is on the edge as it is. This is also meant to be compatible with their MagicEZ Folio, we shall see.
This for sure. My 5th Gen IPP had dents on all 4 corners and was virtually worthless as a trade in option. It lived it’s live in the Magic Keyboard. But the edges are sorely unprotected and I still can’t understand how there is not some kind of better retention for an Apple Pencil built in. They ain’t cheap and they fall off the side pretty easy.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Let us know how the Pitaka works out if you do get it.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
But the Magic keyboard is just that much better aesthetically & in terms of keyboard feel, backlighting & possibly balance.
I tried looking at various alternatives several years ago. The Brydge version back then, the ones that had some kind of clip mechanism that held the iPad in place, appealed quite a bit to me. But I read a large number of complaints about lagging key input as well as concerns about possible damage to the iPad itself from those clips and clamps. I see they’ve changed their design now and no longer use that attachment mechanism.

I just never found any cheaper alternative that worked as well or looked as good as Apple’s offering. As expensive as it is, it really is the best out there. If you tend to keep your iPads for a number of years, you can rationalize the cost.

I’ve also found with this latest MKB that the exterior material feels more durable than my previous one. I’ve found that smudges and fingerprints are easily removed. I use iKlear and a microfiber cloth that I use to clean the screen, and any such smudges are wiped away quickly. The previous MKB seemed to retain those smudges more vigorously. So, with a lighter, more compact design, this MKB seems to be the very best option.

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
not sure if this has been answered, but can you use say a very slim like clear tpu case for the iPad, i.e an ESR one and still use the Magic Keyboard ok if it has the cut outs of the Smart Connector on the back at all ? Not sure if I have found a slim case with the Smart Connector exposed. Anyone got any insight ? Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.