Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
And you wonder why there is so much "burdensome regulation" in the world.

I don't wonder why there is so much burdensome regulation in the world.

I do wonder why you wouldn't use the right tool for the job. The customer has a responsibility to understand the product that they're purchasing. Whether it's an AirTag, MacBook, or a can of tuna.

If Apple had advertised it as an anti-theft device, sure. But they did not, clearly.

Here are some car theft tracking devices:

They exist, there are plenty out there. Sure you can use an AirTag if you wish, but that's not what it's intended for and it's not very good. But certainly it will work in some circumstances. Again, not what it's intended for.

You can also use the iPhone to hammer a nail, but I'd rather use a hammer.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I didn't say it mentions theft, I said it encourages the misunderstanding. It DOES say "Only you can see where your AirTag is." which is certainly not true in this important context.

Corporations can, and should, be held responsible for widespread misunderstandings by their customers. That is why those noodle cups say "Do not microwave". It is not enough to just not have microwave instructions. Certainly not when they are sold from vending machines with a microwave next to them.

The anti-theft use is far too obvious for Apple not to actively warn people that it won't work. That fluffy fine print about "finds its way into your stuff" is not a warning.

Why? Is that a reasonable view of their customers needs? Is stalking really doing more damage than theft? Just because you can legalese your way out of it doesn't mean that it is right. Apple needs to look at these two situations objectively and see which one is really worse.

I don't think it is necessarily a widespread misunderstanding by Apple. In the original Keynote presentation where AirTags were introduced, the presentation was focused on finding misplaced items (keys, luggage, backpack) They also openly discuss that "AirTags are meant to track things, not people" and then they mention & explain the notifications, alerts if an unwanted AirTag is tracking you, security plans, etc.

This was part of the original introduction.

While a person can choose to use it for theft purposes (successfully or unsuccessfully), it was never "marketed" as such. When people have success at retrieving stolen goods, they'll post, promote & share their story...but results will vary.

AirTags can't detect whether a person is a thief or a stalker, so it will notify both.

Now, certain websites, influencers, etc. may pitch the usage for of AirTags for stolen stuff, but I don't think Apple is misleading consumers. Pretty sure business & legal & their lawyers made sure that all ads & promos never mentioned theft.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple needs to look at these two situations objectively and see which one is really worse.
… they did 🧐

You can use a set of vice grips as a shower handle. It’ll work, except when it doesn’t. But there are ready-made solutions out there to ACTUALLY fix the issue.

Same thing with AirPods vs actual theft reduction/recovery products.

Last edited:

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Why? Is that a reasonable view of their customers needs? Is stalking really doing more damage than theft? Just because you can legalese your way out of it doesn't mean that it is right. Apple needs to look at these two situations objectively and see which one is really worse.

Ask any women in your life which of the two they think is worse, and see what they say.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Link please?
I don’t have a particular need or use for such a tag, so any I link would purely be from Google.

I suggest searching “theft tracker tag”

Obviously the simple search results might come up with valid & invalid results, but it’ll get you started.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
That’s pretty stupid if the AirTag alerted the thief he was being tracked, and then he destroyed the tag. It was very well hidden, and would not have been found without precision tracking. If Apple really alerts them like that, then AirTags are pointless in my opinion.

I understand they are trying to stop people from being stalked/tracked…but they are also now alerting car thieves to look for AirTags and give up their locations. All within an hour of the theft. Lame.
"Stupid" or not, airtags are worthless as anti-theft devices. They only work for recovering lost items.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
"Stupid" or not, airtags are worthless as anti-theft devices. They only work for recovering lost items.
I wouldn't say worthless, I'd say its worth about $25. Should you -rely- on it? Of course not. But worthless?

If thats hidden in your (now) stolen car, its better than nothing.

That said, I wouldnt encourage using an Airtag as a 'solution' for anti-theft, but like security, any and all layers are necessary and required for good coverage.

Non-anecdotally, I'd bet the people who did use an airtag, and had their items recovered after being stolen would argue using an Airtag as a layer of anti-theft is worth the $25.

And in the meantime, at least it will help you back to your car after a trip to a theme park (ask me how i know)!

Last edited:

mikedis

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Honestly I'm just surprised someone thought a crown vic was worth stealing. Even super nice examples are pretty low value.

• Haha
Reactions: Howard2k

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Then use an old smartphone, with one of those battery charger cases attached.

Edit: This is the solution to protecting your car. Just wire your old cell phone into the power supply somehow, and hide it. (Does your old phone need a data plan for "Find my" to work?)

Last edited:

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Then use an old smartphone, with one of those battery charger cases attached.

Edit: This is the solution to protecting your car. Just wire your old cell phone into the power supply somehow, and hide it. (Does your old phone need a data plan for "Find my" to work?)

An old phone without cellular service would only be able update with Apples servers if it could connect to wifi. It does not broadcast its location to other nearby Apple devices like Airtags do.

If youre paying money monthly for a tracking service, there are better options than 'hiding' an entire phone and power setup.

Even though it isnt designed to be an Anti-Theft device, I think its worth the cost of entry for a 3rd party Find My device and remove it's speaker. Reliable enough to rely on for 'Dude wheres my car' scenario. And could be useful if the Kia Boyz strike?

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Apple has had to make changes to how AirTags work since their release because of bad PR where people have used them to track/stalk people
Huh? Why are you making this up? Airtag alerts were available since day 1 to prevent staking.

Reactions: mw360

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
I, too, was under the impression that Apple had changed how Air Tags work — that is, as to notifications, directions, etc. — and did so in response to concerns about stalking.

It wasn't about adding alerts, but changing how they worked.

Thus, describing that view as “making this up” is a pretty harsh characterization or judgment and definitely unwelcoming to other MR commenters!

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I lost my AirTag somewhere around my house perimeter ( yard) the closest that I’ve got in finding it, there is a small area whereby my iPhone shows a faint weak signal but not enough to assist me in pinpointing it. I’ve tried turning around in that weak faint signal area, remove case, spin 360 but to no avail.
The AirTag periodically shows up in find my but in my case use I’m failing to locate it.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I lost my AirTag somewhere around my house perimeter ( yard) the closest that I’ve got in finding it, there is a small area whereby my iPhone shows a faint weak signal but not enough to assist me in pinpointing it. I’ve tried turning around in that weak faint signal area, remove case, spin 360 but to no avail.
The AirTag periodically shows up in find my but in my case use I’m failing to locate it.

Do you have a device that that supports precision finding? Really helps in this use case.

Reactions: Coffee50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.