Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Brightness control for (some?) third party (HDR?) monitors?

While I have an LG 5K its not an Apple endorsed model but a 34" 5K*2K variant.
The brightness slider is very welcome, however it's software dimming only and does not effect the monitors physical screen brightness like some tools can (via DCC/IC hardware commands).
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 13.02.49.png

Last edited:

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium

While I have an LG 5K its not an Apple endorsed model but a the 34" 5K*2K variant.
However while a brightness slider is very welcome it's software dimming non the less and does not effect the monitors physical screen brightness like some tools can (via DCC/IC hardware commands).
View attachment 2389629
Great find. I'll check this out on my LG 4K display connected to the Mac mini.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam

While I have an LG 5K its not an Apple endorsed model but a the 34" 5K*2K variant.
However while a brightness slider is very welcome it's software dimming non the less and does not effect the monitors physical screen brightness like some tools can (via DCC/IC hardware commands).
View attachment 2389629
Are there new accent colors? Never seen that color you're using.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010

The brightness slider is very welcome, however it's software dimming only and does not effect the monitors physical screen brightness like some tools can (via DCC/IC hardware commands).
View attachment 2389629

This control adjusts the peak SDR brightness, compressing/extending the so called "EDR headroom" (the extra brightness range between peak SDR and peak HDR). Windows had a similar slider like this for a long time, but now macOS has it too, which is great - this helps fixing the "too dim desktop issue" when the display is in HDR mode. This slider is not available in SDR and uses a software-only approach for control.

Note: the latest version of BetterDisplay (updated for Sequoia) uses this control by default (if DDC is supported, it can use that too) when the third party display is in HDR mode - since the built-in peak SDR slider is limited at a certain brightness level (according to the logs at 500 nits, so there is extra room for HDR + the slider needs to be somewhat conservative and take into account the fact that many displays have some kind of brightness limiter algorithm that prevents large areas of very bright content on screen due to power/heat constraints), it allows for additional extra brightness upscaling beyond the max allowed SDR range.

It would be great if Apple also provided an SDR vibrancy/saturation slider as well in HDR mode to correct the tendency of many displays to display muted colors in HDR mode for SDR content.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exclave

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024

View attachment 2389629
I wonder which models of monitor this applies to? I have an LG hdr monitor and an oled tv. Neither screen show this control When connected.

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
I wonder which models of monitor this applies to? I have an LG hdr monitor and an oled tv. Neither screen show this control When connected.
According to @stevemr123 this only applies to HDR monitors, confirming by suspicion. I presume you would also need to actually enable HDR in the macOS monitor settings. The availability of that toggle might also depend on the wired connection in use, as the appropriate bandwidth and protocol are to be considered. For instance I am using a Thunderbolt 3 monitor set to DisplayPort 1.4 on a Thunderbolt 4 port.
This control adjusts the peak SDR brightness, compressing/extending the so called "EDR headroom" (the extra brightness range between peak SDR and peak HDR).

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
According to @stevemr123 this only applies to HDR monitors, confirming by suspicion. I presume you would also need to actually enable HDR in the macOS monitor settings. The availability of that toggle might also depend on the wired connection in use, as the appropriate bandwidth and protocol are to be considered. For instance I am using a Thunderbolt 3 monitor set to DisplayPort 1.4 on a Thunderbolt 4 port.
Both of my screens are hdr. One uses hdmi and the other uses usb-c.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
@Exclave - not sure if this works on all HDR monitors. I only had two proper ones to test here (mini-LED displays with peak brightness well over 1000 nits). Since the slider adjusts SDR brightness to 500 nits, the feature might not work with the most common (pseudo-)HDR displays out there (the typical VESA DisplayHDR 400 displays do not produce meaningfully more brightness than non-HDR displays and have no local dimming of any kind so they can't actually show HDR properly, only process HDR signal and maybe do some dynamic contrast management). Somebody with a display like this could confirm/disprove this.

Reactions: Exclave

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Can someone run in macOS Sequoia
Code:
defaults read /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SeedCatalogs.plist
and post the result?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
> defaults read /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SeedCatalogs.plist
and post the result?
Code:
    CustomerSeed = "https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-14customerseed-14-13-12-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz";
    DeveloperSeed = "https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-14seed-14-13-12-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz";
    PublicSeed = "https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-14beta-14-13-12-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz";

Reactions: bogdanw

testato

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
Code:
defaults read /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SeedCatalogs.plist
and post the result?
Any hope to optout from the developer / beta status altering the plist? (or it is a payload taken from icloud) i am still marked as developer , the suggestion from apple support to optout was to delete my icloud account and create a new one (something like to " have you try to power off and on again" on windows world)

assoc

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
Can someone confirm if the new Passwords app can see secure notes in iC Keychain or not?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I wouldn't worry too much. It works here, but I can't think of a use case for it. I'm sure there are some, but not for me.

If it worked remotely (i.e. without the devices having to be close to each other) I'd find it very useful. Oh well.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
I cannot think of how many times I wanted to control my iPhone remotely since it was in a different location than near me and was too lazy to get up. :D

One time I do not like being an EU citizen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.