Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Thank goodness. As someone who has my dock pretty small on a MBA, the current ones are horrible.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Let me use this fluffy article to point out two things:

1. iWork rocks. Yes, it's not perfect. But it really is the most thoughtfully designed and useful office suite. I wish Apple would do more with it.

2. Something is clearly off with Apple design team. I think historically it was people who were better at hardware design weighing in on software design + a fetish with minimalism and beautiful screen shots vs. usability. (this is still true today.) But there now seems to be something else broken somewhere. Things that are poor taste (battery icon, current iWork icons, etc) are getting out to the public. They are shamefully ugly. Plus, the same anorexia which gave us phones and laptops that were too thin when customers wanted more battery life and better cameras (I'm looking at you 720p Macs) is now spreading to our toolbars and software interfaces. Apple designers are shoving more and more and more into a kitchen sink menu (I'm looking at you Share menu) so the chrome looks sparse--all at the cost of usability, logical interface grouping, and discoverability. This is a huge issue since the cornerstones of Apple are "it just works" and, "computers for the rest of us", i.e. anyone can figure out how to use it.)

Apple needs to:

1. Get better editors to stop ugly designs and bad interfaces from making it the public. Experiment internally, but someone needs to be culling.
2. Figure out once and for all how to deal with the lack of menus in iOS. Apple has done a good job reinventing a lot of the constructs and paradigms of classic GUI interfaces. But menus remains unsolved. Do the hard work and crack it.
Spot on that share menu, probably one of the hardest things to get around for iOS newcomers.

It has subsections of a classic File menubar (can save to Dropbox, iCloud, etc from there), but can also “share to app” or “share to someone in some recently used app” or “share to a device via airdrop”, it also has automation macros, random functionality like “Find on page” on safari… what the hell this button. Kitchen sink, I’ll take that.

Reactions: sydneysider88

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
Time to unify those icons in general! I’ll never understand why the messaging icon isn’t even the same color between iPhone and macOS. My mum always texts me on iMessage but sends photos via WhatsApp cuz she gets both icons confused ?
They share the same color since Big Sur

Reactions: sydneysider88

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
Rather than simply updating the icons, why not add more professional features to the iWork apps so the suite can be competitive with Microsoft Office? This would make the apps a lot more useful, and would help Apple gain more of a foothold in the enterprise
They're not the same ressources who work on these things.
If you make a designer work on sonething, it doesn't mean a programmer isn't working on something else.

Nonetheless I totally agree that iWork doesn't compete with Office, and with Teams and all the updates they brought to Outlook in the last two years, Microsoft are a few more laps ahead of Apple.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
The new icons certainly pair better with their iOS counterparts and create a stronger 'brand' for each app. The Mac icons however do come across a bit strange, the issue is most of the 'Big Sur style' icons started life as symbols in iOS and are then being made to look like real life objects - the result is invariably a bit strange.

One example is Safari. This began as a realistic compass on Mac OS X, then in iOS 7 became an abstract symbol representing a compass, fast forward to Big Sur and that abstract symbol is now in 3D like it's a real life object, but unlike any I've seen.

These icons have a similar issue:

Pages: You've got a realistic pen drawing a line, bit ambiguous but OK
Numbers: White 3D bars, do you get these in real life? What are they made of?
Keynote: A sort of cartoony futuristic table, nothing looks like this in reality, with a document with a pie chart on (isn't this a bit spreadsheety?)

I'm still of the opinion that all Apple icons are in need of a complete rethink. We'll soon be a decade on from iOS 7 which forms the base of the icon aesthetic and it's gone as far as it can now.

Reactions: Mr. Rod

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
icons are getting a little bit more 3d-ish and less flat - the changes of fashion

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Let me use this fluffy article to point out two things:

1. iWork rocks. Yes, it's not perfect. But it really is the most thoughtfully designed and useful office suite. I wish Apple would do more with it.

2. Something is clearly off with Apple design team. I think historically it was people who were better at hardware design weighing in on software design + a fetish with minimalism and beautiful screen shots vs. usability. (this is still true today.) But there now seems to be something else broken somewhere. Things that are poor taste (battery icon, current iWork icons, etc) are getting out to the public. They are shamefully ugly. Plus, the same anorexia which gave us phones and laptops that were too thin when customers wanted more battery life and better cameras (I'm looking at you 720p Macs) is now spreading to our toolbars and software interfaces. Apple designers are shoving more and more and more into a kitchen sink menu (I'm looking at you Share menu) so the chrome looks sparse--all at the cost of usability, logical interface grouping, and discoverability. This is a huge issue since the cornerstones of Apple are "it just works" and, "computers for the rest of us", i.e. anyone can figure out how to use it.)

Apple needs to:

1. Get better editors to stop ugly designs and bad interfaces from making it the public. Experiment internally, but someone needs to be culling.
2. Figure out once and for all how to deal with the lack of menus in iOS. Apple has done a good job reinventing a lot of the constructs and paradigms of classic GUI interfaces. But menus remains unsolved. Do the hard work and crack it.
Apple needs someone on top with good taste who has absolute veto power over design, a Jobs figure. When you have to contend with equal peers it tends to leave a hesitation to being overly critical and a mishmash of different design philosophies.

Reactions: loby and Mr. Rod

Mr. Rod

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2020
Santiago de Chile
That's a step in the right direction. The inconsistency of app icons in Big Sur/Monterey is still big though.
Please Apple, next we need an overhaul for these abominations.

1628964671661.png

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Can they change either the image or colours of the Numbers app? In its latest rendition with the all-white bars, the image looks like it's "giving the finger".

The current release version doesn't look like that because each bar is a different colour. But with all bars being the same colour, it looks like fingers from the same hand.

o_O this is kinda funny, but also I can't not see it any more.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
Ah yes, finally on our way back to the golden area of incredibly detailed and pleasing icons... ☺️

View attachment 1818087
Not even joking, but I have installed Mountain Lion on my older computer, running an old soft (iLife, iWork, Aperture)
The icons are an absolute candy, compared to nowadays ones.

I know that many people don’t like the old style, but it so refreshing to look at calendars app, which looks like, you know, calendar. Notes, that look like notes, not just a white screen. Also running Tiger, as I have loved the first so much, it was the bees knees

Pixol

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2016
How about adding something useful to these neglected apps like Pivot Tables to Numbers? That app is 100% useless!
Sorry to bump this but I figured in your obviously non researched armchair assessment you missed the fact that Numbers does in fact have "pivot tables", but they weren't named by some idiotic programmer with no concept of user friendly design. (Microsoft trademarked PivotTable in 1994) They're called categories because they categorize things. In a typical Apple fashion, they bucked the trend and obviously disgruntled you by dissing convention in favor of logical and user-first decision making. It's what makes iWork great. Sadly it's often avoided by MS Office users that have become accustomed to horrifying design trends. iWork is in fact, not useless. It's the most innovative, creative, and user friendly office suite in the world. This doesn't mean it's perfect. It means it accomplishes the vast majority of user's tasks with many magnitudes more efficiency after just a few minutes of poking around the app. (And often provides far better looking results.)

Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.