Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
trevor asks:
"Is there anyone out there with a 2018 Mac mini running Monterey that IS able to use the HDMI port?"

Yes.
I do.

I have a 2018 Mac Mini. I normally use Mojave with it, but I do keep an external SSD that has a copy of Monterey on it.

I have a Viewsonic VX2770Smh-LED 27" (1080p) display connected via HDMI (Mini end) to DVI (display end) connection.

I've noticed (during Mojave as well as with Monterey) that is ALWAYS "goes black" for a moment during the bootup process, BUT, it ALWAYS "comes back on".

No problems, it's just the way it goes. It's been working like this for three years now.

Having said that, before I went with HDMI-DVI, I was having some problems with HDMI to HDMI. Now and then, the display would go dark... and STAY that way.

Switching to HDMI-DVI cured that (see above).

And having said THAT, it's worth noting that the OP started this thread 'way back in January 2020.

Back then, his complaint was that although he had the display working one way, it did not work another way.

My advice to him at the time was to "use the connection method that worked" and ignore the one that didn't (see reply 7 'way back in this thread).

He seemed to refuse, and kept complaining that Apple should fix this so that the setup he had (with his particular display and connecting cables) would work.

As I predicted, that never happened.
There will be "no further fixes" for the 2018 Mac Mini, insofar as video is concerned.

It is what it is.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I use a straight HDMI to HDMI cable on my 2018 mini to 40” Samsung 4K. I use it scaled at 1.5x. Monterey has vastly improved stability. Used to have 2-3 second blackouts 2 or so times a week. I can’t remember the last time it did that. I use a remote to turn the monitor on and off. It‘s a pretty high quality TV with 4:4:4 chroma.

jvandemerwe

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Bad Salzuflen, Germany
I have a Mac Mini 2018 and have 2 Anker USB-C to HDMI cables connected to Dell 27 inch 4K displays. The third display is also a Dell 27 inch 4K display, but connected to the HDMI connector of the Mac Mini. On the Mac Mini I have Monterey (12.4 at this time) installed.

All displays were working at first, but after I put the Mac Mini to sleep, once started up again, the HDMI connected display didn't turn up again. The Dell showed "no HDMI cable connected" on the HDMI connected display. After switching some cables and turning it off and on again, I only knew that all cables were OK, just the Mac Mini HDMI didn't respond.

Long story short, I shutted down the Mac Mini. I disconnected the Anker connected USB-C to HDMI devices. Just left the HDMI connected device. Turned it on again and the display showed up again. I connected, without shutting it off again, the Anker cabled devices and all 3 displays were working again.

Strange thing was though that the Dell display settings of the HDMI connected display were all back to default. I didn't reset it when trying.

Really hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• mac-mini-3-display-setup.png
    mac-mini-3-display-setup.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • mac-mini-connections.png
    mac-mini-connections.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 134

MylesTheGray

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
Back again:

Newest Monterey updates have seemed to *sort of fix* my 2018 Mac Mini. As well, Apple kept the Intel mini in the product line for now. So, hopefully the engineers will continue to fix the problem.

As of now:

1) acer 4k monitor connected to USB-C adapter that does not work at all on start up and randomly glitches out - turns on/off, strange colors, etc.

2) Samsung TV that seems to work fine now when using HDMI port (see my previous lengthy post that details my problems if you’d like). I boot computer using my TV as the axed monitor will not work until the OS has had password entered.

Changing my displays from external monitor to mirror is such a hassle. I wish I could lock the settings or something. Everytime I switch up these settings - the resolution changes.

I bought a new desk and now my external hard drives don’t sit near my Mac mini. This has drastically improved my display experience or maybe I am trippin out. I sincerely believe my 12tb mechanical HD may have somehow been messing with my Mac mini’s graphics card. All electronics are hooked up using a power cleaner.

It’s terrible to say this but I will probably be going back to windows or build a Linux rig for my pro audio and content creation when this Mac mini is done. Customer service with Apple on the phone was terrible at best.

Prior to this display experience issue - I loved how well my apple products would work together and how fast I could be creative on them without worry. This mantra seems to have changed at apple.

I spent $4200 CND on a computer that put me through hell. Hopefully someone at apple reads this.

petmrman

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Anyone re-tested this issue on macOS 13 Ventura?
I did, HDMI still not working. After a long long period of being very disappointed in Apple of the fact that the HDMI port isn't working anymore in the Catalina afterlife, Today I reflected upon Fishrrman's words:

There will be "no further fixes" for the 2018 Mac Mini, insofar as video is concerned.

It is what it is.

And that's the truth: the Apple Mac Mini R&D teams already long long forgot us with our HMDI-port issue. The HDMI port will never work properly on a 2018 version in new OS'es.. it is what it is. Period.

I bought a 80 euro (= probably also dollars in today's currency) Satechi multiport USB-C adapter that has one 4k HDMI port, one usb-c port and two usb 3.0 ports. Plugged it in; it works. I would advise everyone with this issue to get over the feeling of injustice and use the USB-C ports for your monitors.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I did, HDMI still not working. After a long long period of being very disappointed in Apple of the fact that the HDMI port isn't working anymore in the Catalina afterlife, Today I reflected upon Fishrrman's words:

And that's the truth: the Apple Mac Mini R&D teams already long long forgot us with our HMDI-port issue. The HDMI port will never work properly on a 2018 version in new OS'es.. it is what it is. Period.

I bought a 80 euro (= probably also dollars in today's currency) Satechi multiport USB-C adapter that has one 4k HDMI port, one usb-c port and two usb 3.0 ports. Plugged it in; it works. I would advise everyone with this issue to get over the feeling of injustice and use the USB-C ports for your monitors.
Did you try my fix? I can't say it will solve your HDMI problem but it fixed the HDMI issue I had on my 2018 Mini.

Arubalube

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020

This thing? https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HMYE2ZM/A/satechi-aluminium-usb-c-multiport-pro-adapter

Presumably a good-quality HDMI ⟷ USB-C cable, would be cheaper and as effective. I've was considering this Anker cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DLK2FD9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AISREEIOH9TSP&psc=1 I already, unsuccessfully, tried another HDMI ⟷ USB-C cable but it's pretty old and I expect its protocols are not the fastest.

Are your Mac mini & Samsung TV still talking to each other?

Last edited:

Arubalube

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
This thing? https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HMYE2ZM/A/satechi-aluminium-usb-c-multiport-pro-adapter

Presumably a good-quality HDMI ⟷ USB-C cable, would be cheaper and as effective. I've was considering this Anker cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DLK2FD9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AISREEIOH9TSP&psc=1 I already, unsuccessfully, tried another HDMI ⟷ USB-C cable but it's pretty old and I expect its protocols are not the fastest.

Are your Mac mini & Samsung TV still talking to each other?

GOOD NEWS: I replaced my HDMI ⇄ HDMI cable with an Anker [A8730] HDMI ⇄ USB-C and the television has been immediately detecting the Mac mini faultlessly for about 3 weeks.

godzfire

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
I just wanted to report that my Mac Mini 8.1 late 2018 (https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-3.2-late-2018-specs.html) has had this goddamn issue seemingly ever since I first bought it back in 2020 or so. Bought it after having had a completely updated/modded 2006 Mac Pro for the previous 12 years.

Didn't even realize it was an issue until I put together the dots. Tried everything under the freakin sun: cords, cables, anything. Researched the hell out of it. It drove me nuts and I still deal with it to this day. Drives me nuts, and along with the Mini's inability to actually keep itself cool and of course non-expandability, I've missed my Mac Pro ever since.

To the people here who was giving this original guy tstimper crap first claiming it wasn't a thing or he was making it up or it wasn't affecting anyone else, you're full of crap. It's also inexcusable that for the price a known hardware/software defect isn't both acknowledged or was ever corrected, instead as shown by tstimper simply just quietly swept under the rug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.