Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Apple won't put MacOS on the iPad.
I just got off the phone will Apple and the person recommended the iPad Pro bc I can take physical notes and type but he also said iPad is is very limited so I’m even more confused

_Mitchan1999

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2024
Is the iPad limited like in the case since I’m a business major if I need to instal forward for something?
I would recommend getting a Mac because you can download almost anything software wise while on the iPad it is extremely limited of what you can download software wise so I recommend getting a Mac.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
I would recommend getting a Mac because you can download almost anything software wise while on the iPad it is extremely limited of what you can download software wise so I recommend getting a Mac.
Idk apple can’t just make a hybrid like it would resolve so much complication

_Mitchan1999

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2024
I just got off the phone will Apple and the person recommended the iPad Pro bc I can take physical notes and type but he also said iPad is is very limited so I’m even more confused
Will you want to write down notes on some kind of app on the iPad?

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Will you want to write down notes on some kind of app on the iPad?
Tbh as of right now I don’t even know bc I’m definitely over thinking this I just want the best product for my needs and theirs so many options is just confusing me

_Mitchan1999

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2024
I mean the screen is nice and everything but is there much difference between the m2 and m4 iPad? Like specs wise
The M4 iPad Pro was a major redesign when compared to the M2 iPad Pro. The M4 iPad Pro has an OLED screen that can go up to 120Hz and it has double the contrast ratio and it is much more lighter (on the 13 inch version anyways) and many other spec bumps when compared to the M2 iPad Pro.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
The M4 iPad Pro was a major redesign when compared to the M2 iPad Pro. The M4 iPad Pro has an OLED screen that can go up to 120Hz and it has double the contrast ratio and it is much more lighter (on the 13 inch version anyways) and many other spec bumps when compared to the M2 iPad Pro.
Gotcha thanks man

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Do not get the iPad Pro as your only device. You will need a real computer.

I honestly don’t get why people keep suggesting that OP buy something cheaper than he is proposing. OP has not indicated once that the price of an M3 MBA is a problem, in fact it would be cheaper (even in the higher config) than the MBP that OP was also considering.

OP, you need a good middle ground machine. Capable, will last >4 years, and portable. The M3 MBA with 16 GB RAM will be perfect.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Do not get the iPad Pro as your only device. You will need a real computer.

I honestly don’t get why people keep suggesting that OP buy something cheaper than he is proposing. OP has not indicated once that the price of an M3 MBA is a problem, in fact it would be cheaper (even in the higher config) than the MBP that OP was also considering.

OP, you need a good middle ground machine. Capable, will last >4 years, and portable. The M3 MBA with 16 GB RAM will be perfect.
Yeah I would get the m3 air is 512 ssd and 16gb ram, I’m just tempted with the iPad Pro even the Apple rep says it would be better so idek anymore

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Probably because this is going in circles and everyone is just as confused as the OP by now.

If money isn't an issue, just get an M3 something laptop with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage... totally sensible middle of the road choice.

Then pick between better screen or lighter weight. Boom. Done.

• Love

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Yeah I would get the m3 air is 512 ssd and 16gb ram, I’m just tempted with the iPad Pro even the Apple rep says it would be better so idek anymore
iPad Pro would let you take notes and it’s a good secondary device, but it’s not good as your main device. In college you will inevitably run into software you need to run or something you need to do that just won’t work on an iPad.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
iPad Pro would let you take notes and it’s a good secondary device, but it’s not good as your main device. In college you will inevitably run into software you need to run or something you need to do that just won’t work on an iPad.
How about a standard iPad as secondary device and a windows machine for those special software he needs to install? He could get both for the same price as for one Macbook.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
How about a standard iPad as secondary device and a windows machine for those special software he needs to install? He could get both for the same price as for one Macbook.
Could work for some people. OP is considering an iPad Pro, and that plus a reasonably spec'd Windows machine would cost more than a MBA. OP could get a lower end iPad and lower end PC, but then you're getting two lower end experiences instead of one premium one, the latter of which I certainly would prefer. If OP cared about PC gaming then Windows would be a bigger deal, but he's already noted that he uses GeForce Now. If OP really wants to draw their notes by hand, that would also factor into the decision.

In the end, to me, an iPad+PC is just a more inelegant solution than one good computer.

Milly342

Suspended
Original poster
May 27, 2024
Could work for some people. OP is considering an iPad Pro, and that plus a reasonably spec'd Windows machine would cost more than a MBA. OP could get a lower end iPad and lower end PC, but then you're getting two lower end experiences instead of one premium one, the latter of which I certainly would prefer. If OP cared about PC gaming then Windows would be a bigger deal, but he's already noted that he uses GeForce Now. If OP really wants to draw their notes by hand, that would also factor into the decision.

In the end, to me, an iPad+PC is just a more inelegant solution than one good computer.
I’m not much of a pc guy I kinda like MacBooks tbh, if I were to get a Mac I would probably also get a cheaper iPad with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.