Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It does import of the quicken formatted files, so I assume you can download the transactions from the bank and then import it... haven't attempted that yet, but that was pretty much how I did the original set up (exported as QIF from my previous tool and then imported the QIF)... and that's how I do two credit cards currently, so when I get the statements I will know for sure.

Unfortunately GS/AppleCard does not do that, so those have to be entered manually (regardless of which tool you use)...
You can export Apple Card transactions each month in a variety of formats (CSV, OFX, QFX, QBO).

Reactions: AZhappyjack

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The only option I see is to download a list of the transactions... please explain...
Not sure what you are getting at. When you tap on the statement in the Wallet app, there are two options - "Download PDF Statement" and "Export Transactions". If you tap on "Export Transactions", you can download them in the formats that I mentioned.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Not sure what you are getting at. When you tap on the statement in the Wallet app, there are two options - "Download PDF Statement" and "Export Transactions". If you tap on "Export Transactions", you can download them in the formats that I mentioned.
I'm on the website (card.apple.com) on my Mac...

Last edited:

pletopia

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
It does import of the quicken formatted files, so I assume you can download the transactions from the bank and then import it... haven't attempted that yet, but that was pretty much how I did the original set up (exported as QIF from my previous tool and then imported the QIF)... and that's how I do two credit cards currently, so when I get the statements I will know for sure.

Unfortunately GS/AppleCard does not do that, so those have to be entered manually (regardless of which tool you use)...

Again, I was hoping for the app to have a connection to the bank and automatically download the transactions itself. If I wanted to do it manually like you are, I will continue to just use a spreadsheet as I just want to know the balances easily.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Update on the SEE Finance program:

So far, the program has been functioning pretty well. It's got a few quirks in the way it works ("linked transactions" between 2 accounts) and reports are a little strange...

However, the killer part of the deal is the absolute lack of response... I am on day 4 without so much as an acknowledgement of my request for support... and checking the MAS reviews, the company seems to have not been responding for about a year... the total lack of support is a show stopper for me... the last update is also over a year ago.

Deleted the app and continuing the search for a money tracking app.

Reactions: Pyrotechnic

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Alright. I tried Banktivity, again apparently, since I already had a login saved. I still was given a 30 day trial.
  • One credit card isn't on there (it's not on Quicken, either)
  • I went through and set up several accounts, tried to import a 401k, and it goofed up and I had to start the whole process all over again
  • My 401k isn't able to be imported via file or downloaded, same as Quicken
After this, I deleted everything I got rid of the download. It very well could be better than Quicken and I would urge everyone looking for a financial app to try it out. But for my needs, Quicken is working. I was just hoping to find a cheaper alternative or one that will work with my 401k.

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Quicken for the Mac is excellent. Been a Quicken user since 1986.
I used to have to run Quicken in a VM since the Mac version was so bad.
Of course the Window Version had periods when it really sucked.

The new guys bought it and things improved dramatically.
Around 2020, the Mac version really hit is stride. Great program.
I use it daily.

Reactions: mk313 and mailbuoy

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Quicken for the Mac is excellent. Been a Quicken user since 1986.
I used to have to run Quicken in a VM since the Mac version was so bad.
Of course the Window Version had periods when it really sucked.

The new guys bought it and things improved dramatically.
Around 2020, the Mac version really hit is stride. Great program.
I use it daily.
I totally agree. I've used Moneydance, Banktivity, and now Quicken for Mac. In the last couple of years Quicken has really added alot of features, bringing it closer and closer to the Windows version.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I had to chat to an agent to figure out the price for Quicken; I'm interested in the Classic Premier. It's $35.94 for the first year and after that it's $71.88/year.

What does it provide over Moneydance that would help me justify the much higher cost?

(I did piss me off that they demanded an email address and phone number just to chat with an agent.)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My needs are basic, and I refuse to do a subscription. CheckBook Pro works perfectly for our needs. $25 purchase, currently on sale for $20.
Does that automatically download your transactions?

I don’t think I’m a big fan of subscriptions but downloading transactions does cost them money. Since the early 00s, I believe those licenses only lasted 2-3 years and then you’d have to purchase a new version. For me, this feels the same.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Does that automatically download your transactions?

I don’t think I’m a big fan of subscriptions but downloading transactions does cost them money. Since the early 00s, I believe those licenses only lasted 2-3 years and then you’d have to purchase a new version. For me, this feels the same.
No. You can download from your bank/finance company and import them, which is what I do. We don't do much with our checking account except pay utility bills and credit card statements. We run almost everything through one of 3 credit cards, maximizing "cash back" and other rewards perks.

And we have a couple of money market type savings accounts that we also track.

Downloading and importing a total of 9 accounts takes about 15-20 minutes each month.

Last edited:

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I had to chat to an agent to figure out the price for Quicken; I'm interested in the Classic Premier. It's $35.94 for the first year and after that it's $71.88/year.

What does it provide over Moneydance that would help me justify the much higher cost?

(I did piss me off that they demanded an email address and phone number just to chat with an agent.)
If it is mentioned on their site that there is an option for yearly subscriptions, I couldn't find it. I am loathe to deal with companies who operate this way.

In stark contrast to this behaviour, I found a recent 1-star review of CheckBook Pro on the Mac App Store, where the reviewer complained that the developer was misleading potential customers about syncing. The developer wrote a kind, detailed, and helpful response to the reviewer’s complaint, and even gave instructions on how to get a refund. This is the type of company that I want to deal with!

Edit: After reading swenmany’s post from below, I realize that I didn’t spend enough time trying to figure out the Quicken prices. Thus, I apologize for the much harsher criticism of Quicken than what was warranted.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZhappyjack

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If it is mentioned on their site that there is an option for yearly subscriptions, I couldn't find it. I am loathe to deal with companies who operate this way.

In stark contrast to this behaviour, I found a recent 1-star review of CheckBook Pro on the Mac App Store, where the reviewer complained that the developer was misleading potential customers about syncing. The developer wrote a kind, detailed, and helpful response to the reviewer’s complaint, and even gave instructions on how to get a refund. This is the type of company that I want to deal with!
I admit that it may not be the tool that you (the collective "you", not necessarily "you" specifically) are looking for. I've been using it for close to 10 years. They have a support forum, and the small staff is quite responsive to questions and suggestions.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012

Assuming you are in the US, and if you are interested in Quicken, set up an alert for it on slick deals. It regularly comes up at around 1/2 off. I have the premier version (not sure of what the differences are) and I get it for around $35/year that way. You have to buy the CD version, but then you can enter the code to extend your subscription another year.

Reactions: davidg4781

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

Here's what displays on their website:

quicken.jpg

I found it confusing because I followed the footnote symbol on the "25% off" label to the bottom of the page. There are two offers, one for annual billing discount (25%) and one for the first-year, first-time buyer discount (50%). The footnote says that the 25% off is only good for the first year.

Discounts are calculated based on the annual price. The final price may differ from the monthly discounted price multiplied by 12 months. All offers are for the first year only when you order directly from Quicken by July 15, 2024. Offer good for new memberships only. Subscription billed annually.

I think they just messed up on their website. They needed two separate footnotes: one for the 50% and one for the 25%. From chatting with the agent, the 25% off will always apply as long as you use annual billing. She confirmed explicitly:

Regular price with annual billing = $5.99 * 12 = $71.88/year
First year price = $71.88 / 2 = $35.94

I do use Moneydance, which I think is great and affordable. However, I'm fatigued with manually downloading transaction files from 9 accounts and importing them; I do it once a week. I could subscribe to Moneydance Plus to hook up to my banks for $40/year. But, now I'm at the price of the first-year Quicken. And, I now understand from @mk313 that the Quicken 50% off price is probably readily available if you look for it.

I guess Moneydance is much better on the ethics with respect to the subscription. They don't try to trick you into paying a higher price than you have to. Also, the Moneydance software license is perpetual. I used the prior version for over 5 years with no issues. I only just upgraded to the latest.

I'm considering trying Quicken if I decide to connect directly to my banks. But, there are some serious risks allowing aggregators direct access to your banks. Moneydance uses Plaid and has a nice blog post here:

Quicken is a bigger player and sometimes can skip using an aggregator since they set up explicit relationships with some banks. But, even with Quicken, I think they usually use an aggregator that has your credentials (either a token or the actual login). They describe "Express Web Connect" and "Express Web Connect Plus" (which require an aggregator) and "Direct Connect" (which my banks no longer support and doesn't require an aggregator) here:

Quicken mentions their "aggregation partner", but doesn't say who that is.

I have read that banks won't guarantee your funds if you've given your credentials to an aggregator and there's a breach there.

Reactions: gregmac19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.