Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
Just a FYI in case you didn't see - the Combo Touch lost 100g in weight for the 11" and 120g on the 13" vs the last models. It is also noticeably thinner as well.

View attachment 2378910
Had not realized that the new combo touch weighed so little. It’s a ton lighter than the Magic Keyboard, which weighs in at just under 2 pounds.

I also prefer the combo touch’s detachability. Really the only downside is that you can’t use it in your lap. But, this isn’t supposed to be a “laptop”

I find that the combo touch is a better version of the Smart Folio, adding a nice touchpad, while being lighter and more flexible than the Apple Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: transmaster

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
It seems like the app that is compatible with the new Combo Touch cases is not available in the US. Unable to update firmware etc etc. The other Logitech app isn’t compatible with this.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Does anyone have experience with the Logitech Combo Case compared to the Apple Magic Keyboard? Any thoughts?

In particular, does anyone know if one is lighter than the other and by how much?

I was coming to write a little post about this so I’ll just answer it here.

I previous gen iPad Air with a Combo touch and I loved it. I loved being able to remove the keyboard and just use the stand. My only gripe was the weight. It def felt heavy with the keyboard on but it wasn’t a deal breaker by any means.

I just upgraded to the new 13” iPad Air and learned that the 12.9 iPad Pro accessories fit it perfectly. So I picked up a refurb an older Magic Keyboard for $125 and yup, it fits the 13” Air perfectly. Cost less than the ComboTouch for this model and now my thoughts -

So now that I’ve used both and having loved the Logi CT so much, I now much prefer the Magic Keybaord over the ComboTouch. The typing experience is much more “Apple” like. I honestly didn’t think it would matter but it does. the MKB is much lighter. Even the bigger model is light by half (It seems so anyway). The cantilevered stand is really nice and one of those little touches that set it apart from other keyboard cases.

I do wish I could rotate the iPad to portrait on the MKB but not the biggest deal. I also picked up a Pitaka IPP case that fits the Air and the combo of these 2 is better than just the combo touch, for me and my needs. YMMV of course.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Reading this thread made me dust off my Logicool Keys to Go, extra slim, separate Bluetooth keyboard. I did think it was dead because I haven't used it for several years. I tried charging for a few minutes and it came back to life and paired with my iPad.

I'd forgotten how convenient it was for someone who doesn't want to commit to a full time keyboard case. I might actually start using it again now.

I'm so glad I saw your thread and dug it out! It's only 24cm x 14cm, so not a full blown keyboard experience, but quite nice nonetheless.

Reactions: RLRabb and jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Reading this thread made me dust off my Logicool Keys to Go, extra slim, separate Bluetooth keyboard. I did think it was dead because I haven't used it for several years. I tried charging for a few minutes and it came back to life and paired with my iPad.

I'd forgotten how convenient it was for someone who doesn't want to commit to a full time keyboard case. I might actually start using it again now.

I'm so glad I saw your thread and dug it out! It's only 24cm x 14cm, so not a full blown keyboard experience, but quite nice nonetheless.
I had to admit I tried an Apple Magic Keyboard with my M1 iPad Pro 12.9" just before I got the M4 13". I really liked it for use on a desktop/table with a trackpad or mouse. I also added, from Amazon a Finite Carry case for the Apple Magic Keyboard that not only acts as a keyboard carry case but unfolds (magnets hold the unfolded origami style support structure) and can be as a s stand for the iPad, as well as hold the keyboard.

For as little as I use the Apple Magic Keyboard folio on my M4 I probably should have just gone that route. But noooo, the siren call of new Apple hardware gets me every time! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: transmaster and wib

DieselBrat88

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
I had to admit I tried an Apple Magic Keyboard with my M1 iPad Pro 12.9" just before I got the M4 13". I really liked it for use on a desktop/table with a trackpad or mouse. I also added, from Amazon a Finite Carry case for the Apple Magic Keyboard that not only acts as a keyboard carry case but unfolds (magnets hold the unfolded origami style support structure) and can be as a s stand for the iPad, as well as hold the keyboard.

For as little as I use the Apple Magic Keyboard folio on my M4 I probably should have just gone that route. But noooo, the siren call of new Apple hardware gets me every time! :p
I've been trying in vain (so far) to find a carry case for the Apple Magic Keyboard. I saw your post here and went to Amazon to look myself for Finite products. I'm probably just blind but ugh! If I can't find a case for the magic keyboard, then I'm just going to get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I really wish there was just one simple answer that filled all needs. I like the idea of less is more and just having one item. Instead...it's looking like I'm gonna need a bag for everything here soon! 😂

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've been trying in vain (so far) to find a carry case for the Apple Magic Keyboard. I saw your post here and went to Amazon to look myself for Finite products. I'm probably just blind but ugh! If I can't find a case for the magic keyboard, then I'm just going to get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I really wish there was just one simple answer that filled all needs. I like the idea of less is more and just having one item. Instead...it's looking like I'm gonna need a bag for everything here soon! 😂
sorry misspelled the brand name. Try this.

Reactions: DieselBrat88

DieselBrat88

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
sorry misspelled the brand name. Try this.

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.